Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Recent posts

Tuor Ocean / Re: Just a Man and his Rowboat...
Last post by DragonSong - Today at 12:21:34 PM
Well. That seemed to take care of that. 

There was a part of Morgana that rather wanted to be concerned about how quickly an efficiently Cora's people seemed to operate--and the fact that someone had come the moment she needed them, as though they'd been able to...sense it somehow. 

But a much larger part of her was more concerned with Nik. And now with the fact that he was smiling at her in a wide, dopey way that made her suddenly wonder if he had somehow managed to consume a large amount of alcohol in the brief moment when she'd watch Cora carted from the room. 

"I--I'm glad you feel...better," she said slowly, cautiously. What sort of enchantment had that been? Was it having some lingering effect on him?

She reached over to brush her fingertips carefully over his cheek, gently pulling her arm from his grip so she could run her other hand over him as though checking for injury. "Do you think you can stand?"
The corner of Neal's mouth twitched almost imperceptibly, but he gave no other indication as to whether it had indeed been something he'd been considering. "I'll be here tomorrow, then," he nodded. "I'll be a fly on the wall at first: the perfect gentleman. We'll see where it goes from there." He rose lazily from the chair, brushing his sleeves off as though any amount of dust had gotten on him in this pristine room. "One more thing before I take my leave. When it's time to spring the trap, you should decide if you want to be the one who catches us, or if you'd prefer it be your mother or father. Something to think about. Lovely to meet you, Mr. Archer. You won't be disappointed."

Fletch stepped aside to allow him to slink past and disappear into the hall. The door shut quietly behind him, and then it was just the two of them. Fletcher turned, arms still crossed, and regarded his friend. "Well?" he asked quietly. "Think it'll work?"
Coastal Serendipity / Re: Latent Dream (Summervale) ...
Last post by GoblinFae - Today at 11:35:01 AM
His eyes drifted back to Fletcher. Decent? After everything? Theo didn't feel like the decent sort at all and the lead sunk in deeper. He unconsciously fingered the healing but very much angry pink scar that still graced his throat as he too retook his seat deep in thought.

"Spring," he sighed softly. "We haven't picked an exact date but I imagine it will be settled upon soon for when the flowers are in fullest bloom. She likes pretty things, is always dropping her ribbons hoping some mildly attractive man will collect them for her," he eyes Neal up and down again, "and theatre. Lady Obower sings, quite well I'm told. I imagine she listens to similar as well. She is expected tomorrow but if that is too soon for you I understand. You don't need to meet her then. She comes," he looked to Fletcher for confirmation, "two to four times a week as suits her mood. I am not always given warning of her intentions so you'll have to excuse me for lacking more information that.

"The sooner however you can work your charms, the better. I would be greatly disappointed to find you were dallying in your efforts in order to milk the Baron of more funds. I would not consider it if I were you."
Wester Highlands / Re: Happy birthday to me! [Dra...
Last post by Rhindeer - Today at 11:25:09 AM
Valor watched as she vented on the collar, and though he didn't understand her words at first, he didn't need to. The message came through loud and clear in her tone.

He waited quietly, not wanting to interrupt her well deserved catharsis. This moment was about her and for her, after all—which was a somewhat strange realization.

When was the last time he'd ever put someone else first?

His world was a selfish one. Everyone was out for themselves, vying for power and alliances for their own gain, even his own birth was just to add to the numbers game. He wasn't interested in any of that, despite his family's occasional and disastrous attempts to use him as a pawn, but it was still the reality of his existence. He lived for himself and for his own whims and fancies and screw everyone else, because they would screw him over too if he were important enough to bother with. But Ka'lei wasn't from his world. She existed so far outside it, in fact, that the same rules just didn't apply. And for whatever reason, this just...huh.

It felt good.

And it felt disgusting. This was what some nobility bought. People like Ka'lei. This was what a "slave" looked like. Only there would be no broken chains for those others toiling away in the Houses of people he knew.

Valor sucked in a breath when Ka'lei turned to him at last, bright-eyed in a new way, and he shoved the darker thoughts away. Perhaps he was a fool for what he was going to say next, but gods help him, after everything he'd seen...after this...the thought had been scratching at his mind since that moment in his room, but it was louder now like nails scraping metal, digging in deeper in a way he could no longer ignore.

"You're free," he said suddenly, meeting her eyes. "Truly. You can leave if you want to. I'm not going to make you stay or try to stop you, and it won't offend me if you go. You're not my prisoner, not anymore. But..."

He quirked a little smile, tone playful. "I'd definitely appreciate it if you're still down for our farce. And I'm still down to help you find your brother. I just want you to know that whatever you choose going forward is your choice. Entirely."
Neal straightened and tilted his head, still smiling his catlike smile, seemingly unbothered by the fact that Theo had set him straight. "Jack said you were a decent man," he replied. "And here you are, being decent." He lowered himself into the seat offered to him, though he took his time at it as though he acted before a captive audience. Fletch opted to stand, arms crossed, still clearly on edge about the whole affair. His scowl had only deepened at the man's slight against his many scars — though Neal couldn't have known of any of them down past his neck unless the women at The Siren had told him. And that, too, was an unnerving thought.

"Very well," Neal continued as he relaxed into the chair. "We're in agreement, Mr. Archer. It's strictly business here. I'll need to know more about this Edwina woman, though. What she likes. How often she visits. The things she says about where she goes in town, so that I might simply chance to bump into her and work my charms. And you should tell me when you want her gone by. These things take time, as I mentioned, but if your nuptials have a date set, we obviously don't want to dally too long."
Last post by GoblinFae - Today at 08:52:11 AM
"I understand that we do not know each other sir. However, I would appreciate it if you did not make assumptions regarding my person and my thoughts. I have a great respect for your profession even if it is not a service I myself partake in. And you will have to forgive me my caution, but I do not know you and I have had staff I knew better who I thought it wise to trust and instead deeply betrayed that trust. I care very much for the people under my family's employ. So please if I have insulted you consider it more about me wanting to protect them from everything within my power and less about deeming you as lesser or unsafe. I take my responsibilities as a future lord and custodian of my land and people very seriously you see."
"Yes, yes, he told me all of that," Neal replied with a hint of impatience. "I may not be in a profession you approve of, Mr. Archer, but I'm still a professional. I won't ply my trade with your staff. Not in this house, anyways," he added. "And I have no interest in fighting. I can't imagine what it would do for my business if I were to be cut and scarred. My clientele would be disgusted, no doubt." He shot a flicker of a look at Fletcher, who returned it with a murderous one of his own. "No offense meant. You understand, don't you?"
Last post by GoblinFae - Today at 06:42:37 AM
Theo caught the glare and blushed slightly as he slipped his hand away and motioned for the men to sit. "He's certainly tall enough and warm-toned like you—she's made advances on Mr. Daw already. Also I believe you misheard, his name is Jack, not Jackie. As you'll be acting as a member of my staff it'll be best if there's further no slip ups of this nature in the future.

"And you understand the stipulations that if a fight breaks out for any reason you are to leave and not engage? And that you are not to engage with the staff in your main occupational role? What you do on your own time off the premise is your business however to do as you see fit."
Neal took the nobleman's hand in a perfectly soft one of his own and shook it gently. "Enchanted," he replied, eyeing Theo for a moment like he was a client of a different kind. Behind him, Fletcher glared, first at Theo, then at their new bodyguard. But Neal either didn't notice or didn't care. "He did. I must say it sounds like a fun little challenge. Noblewomen usually come to me at the Siren. I don't think I've ever been hired to come to them."

Fletch shifted and crossed his arms, jerking his chin at Theo. "You know her best of all of us. Think she'll like him?" he asked. 

"My dear Jackie, everyone likes me," Neal smirked without taking his eyes off of Theo. "Some people just don't know it yet," he added pointedly. "Don't worry, Mr. Archer. I know what I'm doing. I'll take it slow. Build her...intrigue. As with all happy endings."
Essyrn / Re: Where Rumors Grow [M] [Gir...
Last post by wandering_giraffe - Today at 05:46:19 AM
Pyla gratefully took the tea, slowly sipping it.
The tea tasted bitter but had a slightly sweet aftertaste. Pyla wrinkled her nose at the taste but finished it, setting the cup down carefully on the side table. 
The tea seemed to put Pyla to sleep, and she slept till the next morning. Pyla woke up with a start, the intense pain in her injured arm having faded to a dull ache. 
She felt much better. 
"I think....I think this is as good as I'm going to feel," Pyla quietly said, before sitting up and forcing herself to swing her legs over the side of the bed. 
"Thank you for the tea...and for taking care of me." 
"If you'll just lead, I think I can walk."