Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

A few mishaps...

Started by Anonymous, December 31, 2004, 10:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[MOVED THREAD]

CHARACTERS: Nellija, Owen AUTHOR: Ivv

Servants had been outside in the back sparring nearly the entire day. Such servants were going to be promoted to guards--well, those who passed certain tests. Others would return doing the duties they had always done.

"To the right," Nellija said, motionning with her hand as two servants attempted to hang a picture. This she had just bought. A rather young artist, from another kingdom had painted it. The painting reflected Nellija's idea of freedom. A moonlit beach. Everyone had their own view of heaven and this was Nellija's. She missed her tropical paradise. She missed the land more than the people, though. There were some she'd rather not take time to reflect upon.

"Don't put it out in the open!" Owen shouted from down the hall, watching the painting being mounted. "It looks like a child did it," he added.

Nellija shook her head. He only said that because a famous artist of Adela did not paint it. Owen related fame with fortune and the unknown artist Nellija had gotten it from had had neither.

"If you don't like it don't look at it," she suggested with a bit of frustration. He liked to give her a hard time when she least wanted it.

-----------------------

CHARACTERS: Nellija, Owen AUTHOR: Ivv

Siblings do fight. Owen went on teasing Nellija for the rest of the day, though he grew tired of it before dinner and accepted that the painting was not going to be moved. Well, it was fun to push Nellija's buttons anyways. What else was there for him to do to her, as her little brother?

Night fell and the estate became quiet. Guards stood silently at the gates of the massive estate, servants were just finishing tending to the gardens for the last time in the day before they would retire to their rooms. Nellija sat on her balcony which overlooked the gardens. It was private, she could not be seen from anyone who lived near them and she preferred it like that.

A servant knocked quietly at Nellija's door, since Nellija had been expecting her, she heard it and opened the door quietly.

"Has my brother gone to sleep?" She asked.

"Yes, my lady." The servant replied.

"Alone?" Nellija asked, knowing Owen a little too well,

"Well, no..." The servant replied slowly.

That didn't surprise Nellija. Ever since Owen had become "of age" (in his eyes), he believed that he was entitled to whatever he wanted and thus a woman for the night seemed to fit perfectly.

She thought things over, Owen was at the other side of the house, he wouldn't walk over to her room anyways. Just in case, though, Nellija locked the door. She sat backwards on a chair and took off her robe, exposing her bare back to the servant who held clothes and a vile of a certain medicine.

"My lady these are new," she said as the moonlight caught the wounds on her back in a less than flattering matter. The servant drew a candle to the close edge of the table.

Nellija received them at least every week. They were her punishment--even after her father's death she received them, as a part of his will, he left the job of abusing her to his greatest friend. If she did not do as he pleased, she was lashed. It was a sick price to pay to keep all they had. If Nellija decided not to do this, they would lose everything. Owen and herself would be nothing but beggars... Well, perhaps Owen would be spared, but at this point it was hard to tell.

Nellija held a pillow in her hands as the servant began to bandage her back and place the medicine on it. The medicine burned when it touched the wounds and Nelija would clutch the pillow and keep back any scream she wanted to utter. She had to be silent about it. Another part of the contract.

In truth, she was only Owen's half sister. Both born to the same mother, but Nellija's mother had been unfaithful to her husband and had slept with another man. Her husband found out and made her more of a slave, or courtesan, than a wife. Owen was his pride and joy, Owen was the only reason Nellija was still alive and able to live a presumably nice life...

-----------------------

CHARACTERS: Nellija, Owen, Quinn AUTHOR: Ivv

Weeks passed the quiet estate by. Owen was becoming bored with what he had and had purchased two new slaves for his own amusement. The second slave Owen had neglected to inform about the magic bond he had with the golden bracelet on and overstepping the estate's range. When the slave had tried to make a run for freedom, he was reduced to ashes, burned alive and quickly as soon as he had stepped out of the boundaries. Owen had watched the occurrence with a look of supposed glee, the other slaves were in utter shock, but the reality of the situation was made fresh.

"Owen you're a pig," Nellija told him when he came in with a smile on his face, moments after the slave had died and the bracelet, the only thing left of the slave, had been collected.

"What?" He asked, truly not seeing why she was so bitter.

"For one you know that once you place the bracelet upon them, you tell them the consequences of disregarding it." She said, walking up to him and standing only an inch or two taller than him--due to her sandals, otherwise she'd be shorter.

"I forgot." He replied without much care.

"No you didn't. Don't lie to me and stop taking things--" She stopped and walked into a room, Owen followed obediently, if not rather relentlessly. Once out of earshot from the servants, she continued; "stop taking things for granted and realize that these are people too and you could have easily been where they are now."

Owen was silent. He knew Nellija was right, she almost always was, but he didn't want to be wrong now. If he was wrong, then guilt could come into play with the death of the slave.

"Where do you go?" Owen asked suddenly.

"What do you mean?" Nellija asked, having an inkling of what he meant, but not willing to take the chance.

"Ever week or two you leave for a day, sometimes two, and return with nothing but a painting or vase and then lock yourself up in your room for a few days. Where do you go?" He repeated.

"That's none of your concern." She replied, her heart leaping into her throat.

"You're my sister, if it isn't my concern, who's is it?" He asked, his look of mistrust and questioning fading with a look of sincerity. His heart was for Nellija alone. She was all he had. They had no mother or father and she'd taken care of him and had never scolded him when he was wrong, but merely enlightened him on what he had done wrong, like just moments ago. She did everything with a certain air of elegance and sophistication and she was admired by the servants here even, rather than feared. Admiration and respect intertwined in this house.

Nellija heaved a sigh and looked at Owen with the same affection. He was her little brother, after all. More like her best friend, really. He expected nothing from her except what anyone would want from a family.

She swallowed hard and regained her voice. "Owen, know when I say that its none of your concern, that I mean it and I'd like for it to remain that way. Its not something I'm particularly proud of--" She cut herself off quickly as a servant slowly opened the door.

"M'lord, m'lady, there's a large party at the gates wishing to enter. The man claims he's a friend from... Hakkienos?"

"I have things to do," Nellija said quickly and left the room, hardly holding herself back from running right up the stairs and to her room.

Owen walked outside, looking over the horses and carriages with awe and happiness. He knew those colours. He had spent much of his time with his father in the man's house. He was a rich man, a loyal friend of Owen's father.

"Fit for a King, my lad! Fit for a King!" The man shouted, dismounting his horse. The gates opened and he shook Owen's hand with amiability and glee before patting his back.

"Eldoquinn," Owen replied, eyes wide. "What brings you all this way to Adela?"

"Y'know I hate that name, just call me Quinn. You're old enough to see an old friend when he's standing here in front of you." The man replied with a smile stretching from ear to ear.

"Come! I'll have rooms made up for you and your party." Owen replied, leading Quinn down a path towards the estate, some of his servants leading those with horses to the stables.

"I'm afraid I've only brought my servants. My wife refused to come for the trip but she sends her best." Quinn said with a nod.

-----------------------

CHARACTER: Katana AUTHOR: Identity Criziz

Katana stood attention at a minor guard's position. She assumed she was there as a filler for some servant as she couldn't imagine a slave being given a position of such trust. Maybe she was covering for the slave that Owen had incinerated. She pulled her face into a silent snarl as her emerald eyes flashed in anger. The man was scum. Katana had watched him carefully over the last several weeks, watched him idolize the noble knights of Adela who were sworn to protect the innocent.... she snorted out loud in contempt. The idea of Owen protecting someone he could not gain something out of --whether that gain be wealth, power or something a little more physically satisfying-- was laughable. Most of the househould had been shocked at the unfortunate slaves fate, for her it merely increased her antipathy towards the man. He reminded her of the little boy in her former tribe who had sat around and pulled the wings of the locusts. His sister on the other hand...

As Katana's thoughts turned to ponder Nellija her features softened. You could not help but respect the woman, even like her. Katana could help but smile a little; someone who could sway her determined malice was indeed worth a grudging respect. She had noticed Nellija slipping of into the night on a weekly basis but had not thought twice about it. For starters the Lady would go where she liked when she liked. Other than that curiosity only got a slave into more trouble than Katana was willing to take on at the moment. It was none of her concern.

Shaking her head slightly Katana dragged her attentiont back to the job at hand. Guarding. No matter what the task that she was put to, the slave never gave less then her best. It was simply her nature and had nothing to do with a desire to please. Her emerald eyes were caught by the commotion down at the front gate. It seemed that a rather large party had arrived, some 'noble' friends no doubt. She grimaced slightly, although unlikely there was always the possibility of being forced to wait on the pansies at some cocktail party. Ugh.

Katana actually found her current position quite suited to her. She was mainly being used by the permanent guards as a way to sharpen and improve their swordsmanship. As well, like today, there was the odd guard duty. She found that she had become rather resigned to her fate here. 'NO!' she shook shook herself sternly. Not resigned, NEVER resigned. Yet she had begun to learn that freedom as well as enslavement game in many guises.

She glanced up at the sun. It had sunk into late afternoon and Katana was quite thoroughly coated in dust that had turned her coffee complection almost creamy. She couldn't wait for a bath.

-----------------------

Night fell and preparations were being made for dinner. Guards had alternated posts, servants who were unneeded we allowed to retire to their rightful rooms while others set up the grand table or helped the chef prepare the food.

There were only three chairs set at the grand table and as Owen and Quinn came to sit down, Owen was surprised not to see Nellija there. He hadn't seen her since Quinn had first arrived and found it peculiar that she would opt to skip out on seeing Quinn all together without even a greeting.

"No matter," Quinn said, taking a seat.

Owen stood for a few more minutes. In the door way he saw Katana and turned to her. "See what is keeping my sister." He told her before taking his own seat.

Meanwhile, Nellija had locked herself in her room, even locking the balcony doors as the ultimate precaution. She hated having Quinn here and was trying to understand why he was here. She had done everything right, hadn't she? Yes, she was sure of it. It was routine now, she would have noticed if she had done something wrong or displeased him... The thought made her shudder and come close to tears.

She took a deep breath and unlocked her door, leaving it open for the servant who usually applied the medicine each night but she had not come for nearly an hour. Nellija was not please because she could not do it herself and she certainly couldn't call for the servant without drawing more questions. With Quinn here, she had to be extra careful.

-----------------------

Katana held her anger tightly in check as she felt an overwhelming urge to beat the contented look off Owen's face. Instead she pivoted swiftly and obediently made her way up to the ladies room, fists clenched.

When she arrived at Nellija's door most of her anger had abated. She noted that the door had been left open but knocked anyway.

"M'lady? Your, ah brother" --She didn't think she could use his name and still rename pleasant-- "He wanted to know what kept you" she finished.

'It was a good think she had scored a bath early' she thought cynically. Apparently she was to play messenger girl for the evening.

-----------------------

CHARACTERS: Nellija AUTHOR: Ivv

Nellija was startled when Katana knocked at her door instead of the usual servant who had tended to her wounds since the very beginning of this royal mess. It had been more than an hour and still she had not arrived. Nellija decided that it had to get done.

"I'm not going," she replied flatly. "Katana, could you..." She trailed off. It was a difficult thing to explain and something she did not want every servant knowing. It was the reason why she had only one servant apply the medicine to her back--it basically ensured that it would remain a secret and that Owen would not find out.

She wouldn't be able to go on if he knew. He was her brother! She was already ashamed of it and she didn't want to have that same shame from Owen, too. She loved him so much.

"I need someone to apply this medicine to the wounds on my back." She said finally, motioning with her hand to the vile of medicine, and beside in a cloth. "I'm not sure where Hynla is, so... Could you do it?"

She felt so awkward asking. It was embarrassing for her to think about it and to be asking someone to do it, and thus know more about her and what happened was... it as unbearable. She felt like utter scum just thinking about it.

-----------------------

Katana's eyes widened slightly at the request but she didn't comment, merely nodded her assent. She applied the medicine with exceedingly gentle hands, knowing intimatley how such wounds felt. Nellija was lucky in one respect; at least she got the opportunity to tend to the wounds properly. As she smeared the salve Katana examined the angry red lashes with an experienced eye. They would scar but probably not badly. She herself had many similar scars from shoulder to feet. Never on the face though...it was bad buisiness to visibly mar you merchandise.

Once she was done Katana edged back towards the door. "Ah...what would you like me to tell your brother, Lady?"

-----------------------

Nellija clutched the pillow she had in her hands as the medicine was applied, trying desperately to keep from screaming. That was all she needed... Quinn to come upstairs and see her tending to the wounds and he'd definitely have Owen by his side.

She sighed in relief as the pain slowly went down into a numbing buzz.

"No!" She cried, though she tried to keep her voice hushed. "No one can know." She added quickly. Tears were forming in her eyes. Of all the things she feared most in this world, it was having Owen know about what she did. Owen, the one being on this earth that she loved unconditionally and more than anything she believed she ever could love.

Owen lived in a blissful ignorance and Nellija wanted to keep it that way--at least for as long as she could have it done. Owen saw the glory of Adela and he reveled in it. Nellija did not want Owen to see the horrors of their homeland, or be haunted with ill-will towards his deceased father, however much he deserved it.

Owen was the one person who knew Nellija who viewed her with respect and love and however much sense it lacked in reasoning, Nellija wanted Owen's respect. How could anyone respect her if they knew what she did? It was impossible. She had an excruciatingly hard time accepting it--accepting, if that was what one could call it--so how could she expect her own brother to.

It was too much to ask.

-----------------------

Katana wiped her hands carefully of the medicine, although she couldn't help herself from rubbing a little bit of the excess on a particularly painful scar under her wrist that wouldn't seem to heal on it's own. She barley kept a cynical smile from breaking out on tanned face; Who would she tell, a rock? The only people she ever even came close to associating with these days were servants or guards: both were people of low status in the grand scheme of things and were therefore very eager to disdain anyone possible even lower than themselves-- ie the slaves--. The other slaves themselves seemed to have a 'every man for himself' philosophy. Not that she could blame them. After all, their very existence could depend on their owners mood for the day, as Owen had so aptly demonstrated. Bastard.

Katana stopped herself for a moment to analyze the thoughts swirling through her head. Why did she hate Owen so much? She thought he was scum true, but so were just about all her owners of the last several years. What was it about him?! Maybe it was that he was scum masquerading as a prince and that the rest of the so called 'civilized' world saw him as such. She frowned fractionally, it wasn't just that either there was something about him that.....unsettled her somehow. She shook herself slightly and dragged her focus back to the present.

"What would you like me to say" She kept her tone carefully emotionless. For whatever reason Nellija wanted to suffer, it was none of her business. Once Katana might have been more concerned, she probably would have sympathy. No more. The world was cruel and compassions dies within it.

-----------------------

What should Katana say? Owen was smart... He would know she wasn't asleep--he knew she was a notorious night owl--and if she just didn't want to go down, she knew Quinn would pressure Owen into making her. She had no idea what to say, but the obvious came to mind.

"Tell him I'm not feeling well," she answered. Which was true, the mere sight of Quinn disgusted her. She hoped his visit was short... or that he fell down the stairs at some point. It was not like her to wish harm upon another person, but in this case she couldn't help herself. She loathed the bastard.

"Katana, thank you." She added, genuinely. She knew that the servants equally served both herself and Owen, so lying on behalf of one to the other was leaning towards getting the servant in trouble with the other. But Nellija would ensure that that was not the case.

"If you wish, you can go to bed once you've told him," She said, which cut Katana's shift nearly in half. It was all Nellija could think of as payment. She wasn't fully used to having servants and didn't like the idea of instructing others, but alas it was the facade she had to uphold.

-----------------------

"As you wish m'lady" Katana kept her voice carefully neutral. A whole night to herself! That was something she hadn't had in well, she couldn't think. As she left the room she smiled bitterly, it was interesting how priorities changed. A few moments of unowned time was worth more than eternal youth. She made her way back down stairs and into the dining room where the two men were waiting. Katana looked directly into Owens eyes as she made her speel

"Lady Nellija is feeling unwell and will not be joining you" She continued to stare at him and completely disregarded the other man in the room. She knew that she would probably regret her minute display of defiance later but she couldn't help it, she was pissed.

-----------------------

CHARACTERS: Owen, Quinn AUTHOR: Ivv

Quinn was quick to see Katana's silent form of defiance and was out of his chair in no time, clutching Katana's chin in his palm and holding her head there.

"Better remember where y'are." He spat. He was ready to really let her have it and was about to literally throw her to the floor when Owen interrupted.

"Sit down, Quinn." Owen said, calmly--boy, Nellija was rubbing off on him! "Don't let a servant ruin your night." He said cooley.

Quinn through Katana away from him less forcefully than he would have and took his seat, looking rather annoyed. "You'll never learn anything letting things like tha happen."

"You'll die young if you let things like that get you worked up." Owen replied with a smirk. Entertainment came before work anyways. Owen could care less whether Katana tried to look at him and defy him. In any case, she still wore the bracelet that'd kill her if she left the grounds, and if she actually did anger him, he could have fun and let her and a guard of his fight--well, if Nellija would allow it... Like that'd ever happen!

Ah, what a young mind thought of for fun!

-----------------------

Katana thought for a moment that she smelt a dying rat, oh wait, that was just Quinn's breath (0_-) as he shoved his face uncomfortably close to hers. Being thrown away was really more a form of relief than anything else as she had long since learned how to fall in a way that she didn't hurt herself when she hit the floor or a wall.

Katana picked herself up calmly, she hadn't really expected Quinn to be the one to fly off the handle. Ah well in her mind it was worth it although her body protested otherwise. She simply ignored it as she always did. By the time that she left the room she was almost grinning as she recalled Quinns buggy eyes bulge in anger. The things desperate young minds considered entertaining indeed.

She slipped out of the building with a quiet sigh of relief, no matter how much time she spent in it she still could not get used to the oppressive cold walls. Walking like she had a purpose (so that no one would think to give her one) Katana made for her favorite place on the property. After what seemed like an unbearable amount of time she broke free of the dark woods that Adela was known for and into a large meadow. Happily running now, she made for a large rock in the very center of the meadow, a rock that seemed to have all the right grooves and indentations for her body. The meadow was on the edge of the property so as far away from them as she could get, it was open, it was wild, it was glorious.

Lying back Katana stared at the open sky, desperate to just enjoy one moment of contentment. She found herself smiling with real joy as she watched two hawks wheel through the sky, it was a smile that no human had seen in, well a very long time. Katana revelled in the freedom of the two hawks and didn't move until the sun sank beneath the trees.

-----------------------

After dinner, Owen and Quinn talked for a long time in one of the more casual sitting areas on the second floor. Nellija could hear Quinn the most, whenever he spoke passionately about something. It made her sick. She knew what he was talking about, and she knew that every second Quinn was with Owen that more damage would be done. Quinn would make Owen a replica of his father in no time--and what was worse? She couldn't do anything to stop it.

Nellija was sitting on a soft satin couch on her balchony, laying on her side to give her back some relief. She liked the darkness. Or at least, she liked what the night provided. She was alone, just with her own thoughts and sometimes she could let her mind escape into a fantasy and picture herself living a true life; one where she and Owen lived with no restrictions, where they were both happy and no secrets were kept. Curiously enough, however, her fantasy never involved finding love. Her mind had blocked that out--for the only love she'd truly known was that of her mother's and of Owen. She'd never met someone and loved them.

From the corner of her eyes she spotted Katana below, going way out in the estate and laying down somewhere. It was daring, especially with Quinn in the house. Nellija would have to warn her about these outings. Not that she minded very much herself, but that Owen would not like seeing the servants doing as they please and Quinn would want to teach Katana a lesson for the insubordination.

-----------------------

Regretfully Katana collected herself and returned to the villa. She was on night guard duty and despite all else she didn't dare show up late. She had rather come to enjoy not being regularly beaten to within an inch of her life.

She dusted off the black uniform and made her way to her post at a light jog. She shivered, hating the dampness of the cool night air and bitterly missing the desert. No! She savagely pushed the regrets to the back of her mind. That was a past life. It was done, over, she had to let it go. Irritably she ran her fingers through her short hair.

Katana had to wonder about the valididty of this post of hers though. After all as a mere slave she was not allowed a weapon. Ah well whether anyone knew it or not she was as competent with hand to hand as anything else, probably more so. She shifted her weight and allowed a cynical half smile to grace her features: at least her feet had finally gotten used to shoes again!

[MOVE COMPLETED! Continue posting!]

Anonymous

A smile danced across Katan's features, it wasn't exactly a pleasant smile, more the kind of smile you might imagine a hawk wearing as it tore out the heart of the hare. At the moment though,  her expression was somewhat unsettling to her opponent.

Katana had honestly just been carrying water out for the livestock when she had stopped momentarily to watch the servants sparring. One of them, Raul she thought his name was had haughtily challenged her. Him and few others had been somewhat pissed off to see "a little girl like her" on guard duty. Apparantly Raul had taken it in his head to take his anger out in her hide. Poor Raul, she mused. He was now sitting out of the way nursing a rather painful headache. Katana had quickly learned that the 'out at first blood' concept didn't apply to a lowly slave like her. This left her at a bit of a disadvantage, as she had to be very  careful not to kill or even maim them badly as that would only get her into trouble, and their foolish male pride would not let them call mercy unless they were within an inch of their life. This left her with the options of either outlasting them until they fell from exhaustion, or just knocking them out cold. The second was infinitley more enjoyable.

So here she was, coated with an inche of dust, sweat running down her body, and bleeding from a dozen places. She couldn't remember the last time she had had this much fun. She circled her fifth opponent warily, she was armed with two long daggers against his sword. This placed her at somewhat of a disadvantage, especially combined with the fact that he was fresh and she was, well she was tiring. Honestly the only thing that was likely keeping her standing was the adrenaline pumping through her veins. No doubt she'd pay for pushing her body like this later. She crossed her blades and cradled, then momentarily trapped his sword as he swung it down at her shoulder. Twisting slightly she kicked him right in the kidneys, hard. He exhaled sharply and wrenched his sword away from her. She pressed forward, the daggers working fluidly like extensions of her arms. She had to get close enough to him that with the daggers she would have the advantage, and at the same time she had to avoid a body lock. He was a lot bigger than her.

Her breath was coming in painful rasps now as her throat scramed for moisture. Then she saw an opening and slipped inside his guard. Staying low she cut both his thigh and lower arm as he tried to swing the now awkward sword.  In one fluid motion she passed just behind him, jumped enough that she could slide her arm around hid throat and knocked the hilt of the dagger against his temple with a carefully measure fore.  He fell like a rock

Anonymous

Quinn and Owen were walking about the estate when the cheers and jeers from the back of the estate grew louder. The two rushed towards the scene only in time to see Katana knock the guard unconscious. Rage bubbled within Quinn and he drew his sword--what a fun game it would be to knock off the disobedient slaves!

"Drop your weapons!" Owen shouted in a clear voice, looking at each and every slave. All obediently dropped their weapons at his call, but Owen was more concerned about Katana. She looked awfully guilty, standing over an unconscious man.

Nellija had watched most of the beginning of the fight take place from an upstairs room, but by the time she had gotten downstairs and to the back of the grand house, she saw that Owen and Quinn were there, as well. She'd have come out straight away if it had just been her brother, but Quinn... If he saw her he'd had a few choice topics on his mind to discuss with her. At the moment, he still believed her to be ill and that would work in her favour.

Nellija did not go outside, but rather ran back upstairs to her room, collected herself and went to a window where she could see the group outside.

"Every last one of you who participated in this will be in lockdown for a week. You will be fed once every evening and you will be in solitary confinement." Owen said sternly, partly because he felt that he had to show Quinn he was the master of the house. "All guards who participated in this: you all have been stripped of your duties and will be servants."

They could afford to lose four guards. They had plenty more. The idea was to get the weapons out of the hands of those who foolishly fought with one another. Other guards came and took those involved in the fight away to their solitary, small rooms in the basement--away from where the slaves usually slept.

"Katana, your sentence will be a fortnight." Owen said just as two guards took her by each arm and brought her to her "cell". All the weapons were collected and put under a lock and key.

"Pure insubordination!" Quinn roared as all the slaves left the yard. "Should've killed 'em all! Teach them who calls the shots!" Quinn was nearly red in the face, he was simply outraged that Owen had not even taken a sword to one of them! "That girl has tainted your judgement! She is at fault for all of this!"

Owen drew his sword quickly and before Quinn realized it, the tip of the blade was at his throat. "Though I admire you, dear friend," Owen said through clenched teeth. "I will not have you taint my sister's name." He looked directly into Quinn's eyes, something that happened scarcely as Quinn had always been the master of his own castle. Allowing someone else to rule was something very foreign to him.

"Perhaps it is best, for our friendship, that you leave within a few days. Nellija is ill and I'd like to help care for her." Owen added, sheathing his sword and taking a step back. He was sorry to have drawn his sword to Quinn, but Owen had heard so many things that made Nellija out to be unfit and beneath him... All of Quinn's words were beginning to wear on him and Owen simply could not stand his sister's name being tainted with unjust words. Though Quinn had skilfully left out the major points about Nellija and even his relationship with her.

Nellija backed away from the balcony and went to her room, getting into bed and looking away from the door. She wanted Quinn gone. Now. But she could wait a few more days...

Anonymous

"Girl I will not be made a fool of!" Quinn roared, a short whip in his hand. It was the type of whip one might expect to find with those who sold slaves in the villages. It was the type of whip used to keep insubordinate servants in line. It was Quinn's weapon of choice when Nellija did not do what he wanted her to do.

"Shall I tell your brother what a dirty whore you've been? Would you like that? Would you like it if I told your dearest brother that all his fortune has been forfeited by some stupid filth of a girl?!" Quinn asked, his eyes twinkling in the early morning glow. He knew Nellija was at his mercy.

"I'm sorry.. No! No, don't tell Owen. I've done what you've asked for, my Lord." Nellija pleaded, her eyes could not bear to shed more tears, but there she begged, on her knees, with tears welling in her once beautiful eyes. Quinn had a way of rendering Nellija from a beautiful goddess to a needy whore. He knew how easily he could do it too.

"I was ill..." Nellija added, trying to stand up and plead her case to Quinn.

"You were not--and that's no excuse!" Quinn bellowed, the whip curling around her arm as she red to stand before him. He struck her twice. "You will repay me double for the trouble you've caused this passed week. I'll be expecting your arrival tomorrow night at my estate." Quinn added before he turned and, without another word, was off. His servants and horses were all ready to leave and he left without a word that morning, long before Owen would even bat an eye and far before he would even think of getting out of bed.

Nellija stayed on the floor, pulling up the sleeves of her now torn gown. Her side ached from the whip and was bleeding. Her back had received more marks, but she couldn't think of it now. She couldn't think of any of it.

Nellija forced herself up. She got herself out of her filthy clothes and barely had time to even touch her wounds with a clothe before she put on another dress and fled from her room with absolutely nothing else. She ran down the stairs and out the back door of the house to the stables where she picked the closest horse there and mounted it. The servants at the gates had to hurry to open them as Nellija flew by them with no intention of stopping. She would get herself as far away from Adela as possible. She wanted to die, to kill herself and be done with the mess she'd been born into.

Nellija knew it wouldn't last though. She'd have to come back that same night and ready herself for her journey to her homeland for the next night. Plus, she couldn't leave Owen all alone. No matter how much hell she went through, he was still her brother and he loved her.