Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

One small step...

Started by Anonymous, April 18, 2010, 09:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

By now most people would have tired of the city of Essyrn and moved onward and upward. They would have moved through the desert seeking the riches and sights of other cities, but not our hero. No, for he is as a child kept from the world too long. He doesn't have to seek wonder, for all around him are new sights and smells. He is free now, and the world is his oyster...

[hr:cw38bpsl][/hr:cw38bpsl]

Kohl walked through the crowd of merchants and peasants like a holy man through parted seas. Young and old alike stepped from his path fearing the stride of a man large enough to step upon them. Kohl, though, took no notice.
For people he had seen before, and they held no real interest for him. His gaze settled not on the people, but darted from side to side on the busy street.

"Look here!" He would think to himself as he passed a merchant selling jewelry. Or, "By the sands!" He would exclaim as a man thrust alien animals in his face for a meal. "N-no thank you, sir," he stammered brushing the man's hand away.

Ah! but look here as he sees one food he knows and loves: mystery kebab! What meat is this? He didn't even care.
He chewed slowly, relishing the strange spices and allowing the tastes to play over his tongue.
"Hey!" A voice rang out, disturbing his momentary delight, "I hope you have the two copper that costs!"
Kohl looked around himself to make sure he was the one the merchant was--
"Yeah you! You better cough up two copper, or the guard will have your hand for thievery!"
Kohl swallowed harshly, and a cold sweat broke across his brow.
"I don't have any copper sir, and even then why would I ave to give it to you? I don't understand."
The merchant cocked and eyebrow and waggled his finger, "Ahhhh, some smart mouth looking for trouble, aye? Guards! Guards! Thief!"
Two stalls down they appeared. Two men in the official garb of the city guard already unsheathing longswords and quickly approaching.
"I do not know what I have done wrong! Please, I'll give it back!" He began to spit up what he had as the merchant jumped back and exclaimed in a foreign tongue.
"Guards, get him! He is a thief!"
The guards picked up pace to a mild trot and reached the stall. One stood aside as the other placed a hand on Kohl's arm, "Calm down, boy and come with--"
Kohl's quick reflexes caught the best of him as the guard was sent up, and then gravity did its job in bringing him down once more with a loud THUD!
The second guard sprung, but Kohl had a head start sprinting down an alley, directionless and full of fear.

[hr:cw38bpsl][/hr:cw38bpsl]

So begins our hero's new life of freedom on the streets of Essyrn. Perhaps you could call him a child kept from the world too long.
Or perhaps he is like a lion, kept caged too long...

Anonymous

Walking down the alley was Hachen and his faithful companion pig.  He was talking to pig about where to go next and ran into a child when he rounded the corner.  Although more precisely the child ran into him and they both fell into a heap on the side of the alley.  Hachen got up rubbing his head and held out the other to help the kid get back up.  "You okay?"  The child had run so far from the guards by this point that they had yet to appear in the part of the alley the two had just... met.

Anonymous

The 6' 6", 270lbs. 'child' bolted quickly to his feet, and then patted himself over to make sure none of is already stolen belongings were missing (fool him once shame on you, fool him twice...).
"Hello," he hurried breathed with a quick wave from his hand. "I would love to stay and chat but three men are coming to cut my hand off, and I must go."
At this moment the three guards mentioned rounded the corner and spotted our hero in conversation.
"Best be off, nice to meet you!" He yelled darting down the alley as the guards resumed their pursuit.

Anonymous

Hachen grabbed the child by the tunic to make sure he didn't run off and then pointed his wand at the ground in front of the guards.  A wall of dirt rose up before the guards cutting them off from the two.  Hachen then let go of the child's tunic and turned to him with a smile.  "I'm sure there is a rational explanation for this all.  The guards around here are a bit too quick to cut off limbs."

Anonymous

Easily breaking through the man's grasp Kohl let slip the sounds of a dog's whine as he was thrown off balance and thrust into the ground.
"Ooof!" He rose to his elbows and petted the back of his head, "What did you do that for?"

Anonymous

"Sorry, didn't mean to make you trip.  Just trying to stop ya.  I'm sure you're just caught up in misunderstanding.  The guards here are jumpy and quick to accuse."  Hachen said hold his hand out to help Kohl up.  "What did you do anyway?  Let me guess, you were eating something you bought and some merchant thought you stole it from them."  Pig meanwhile watched the dirt wall in case the guards started breaking through.

Anonymous

A quick look of extreme confusion took a hold of Kohl's face as he grabbed the stranger's hand and slowly rose to his feet.
"This thing you have said, what does it mean to 'bought'?"
The guards sounded from the other side of the newly risen earthen barrier, "Curse the mage, find a way around!"

Anonymous

Pig heard them shout that and Hachen nodded to his little barnyard friend.  Pig watched to other two ways to where they were to see if the guards came.

"Bought, the past tense of buy... you know use money to obtain a desired item from a vendor."  Although it sounded very textbook Hachen was just trying to explain it simply.  "You seem to be from around here, so I wonder why you wouldn't know what buying something is?"  Hachen rubbed his chin in thought and asked, "You aren't drunk are you?  You know, hitting the beer a bit too hard."  Hachen said mimicking a man drinking a mug of bear.

Anonymous

Kohl mimicked the motion a few times before it finally clicked in his head.
"Oh! No, no, no! I'm just new to the whole thing," he said motioning with his hand in a circle to all things.
For being to close to being captured and obviously oblivious to simple things, our hero seemed neither scared or frustrated, but simply intrigued.

Anonymous

"New... how old are you?"  Hachen asked examining Kohl, he looked to be about twenty years old which was older than Hachen.  Pig snorted seeing the guards coming down another lane and Hachen simply flicked his wand to send up another wall of dirt.

Anonymous

"How old am I?" Kohl said bringing his hand to his chest in a motion of self.
He took a step back and tilted his head upward, bring a hand up and scratching his beard as he thought.
"I'm not too sure, but maybe 23 winters? There where no calenders in the cells." He said with a quick smile as his hands returned to his sides.

Anonymous

Hachen thought for a moment, if you experienced 23 winters and children start at age 0 that would make him, "So you're about 22 then.  So... cells, well I doubt I have to ask but why were you in cells?"

Anonymous

"22? No, no, I said 23 winters!" He said laughing. He enjoyed his joke that way a small child enjoys the silly humor of someone messing up a name, or simple bodily noises. He clasped his hand over his breastplate as he finished his chuckle, and once again straightened himself.
"The cells? They just released me the other day. I do so love to walk about the large open spaces. Father never told me the world was so big! Or that it was surrounded by walls of stone!" He exclaimed, referring to the city's earthen fortification.

Anonymous

"There is more than just this city.  You need to get out into the world."  Hachen rubbed the stubble on his chin for a moment of thought.  "Okay, you can travel with me for a while.  I always like company on my travels besides pig, he's horrible with directions."  Pig snorted something as he watched the alley ways.  "Do too, remember last time I let you guide us through Draconi Forest.  I still have scars."  Hachen finished off rubbing the top of his shoulder.

Anonymous

Kohl looked upon this man in quiet disbelief for a moment, and the collected his thoughts.
"You mean...there is more? Beyond the wall?" His eyes began to shine as his mind raced with the possibilities of what could be beyond the world.
So many new people!
So many new battles!
So many new FOODS!
He sprung to his feet and grabbed Hachen's hand, shaking it vigorously, "My name is Kohl the Threebear, son of Karn the Swiftelk. I would be most pleased to see beyond the wall of the world!"

Anonymous

"Well I' be most pleased to show you."  Hachen said as his whole body was shaken from the handshake.  When they regained his balance again Hachen said, "First though we need to get away from the guards."  Hachen looked down the empty alley way and said, "If they are still as smart as last time I was here."  He made a dirt wall to cover that way and took down the one from before to find no guards.  "That should be the quickest way out.  Allonsy."  With that he started to run down the alley with pig and he hadn't a doubt that Kohl would be in tow as well.  He kept an eye out for guards as well, they were always persistant people in any town he had visited.

Anonymous

It is at this moment that at the two other fortifications Hachen had raised a banging began to occur, and slowly men started to show themselves as they edged their way over the wall, "There they are! Seize them!"
Kohl hesitated momentarily, but only long enough to hear the climbing commence before he had bolted to catch up with Hachen.
"Wait! What is your name?"

Anonymous

"Oh, my bad, I guess the thrill of the chase got to me.  My name is Hachen Raine, and this is my traveling companion pig.  Not a creative name but he responds to it."  Hachen said while running.  Hachen ran out into the main street and luckily there weren't many people today as there normally is.  Hachen ran towards one of the entrances of town stopping every now and then to make sure his two companions were still with him.  Unfortunately he saw the guards behind them as well.  They were still a bit behind though, they should be able to leave at this rate.

Anonymous

"Hello pig," Kohl said with a friendly wave as he darted between civilians.
"They're getting away! Shut the gate!" A guard yelled from behind as he thrust a condemning finger forward.
Ahead of our heroes several men manning the gate acknowledged, and began to crank the gears that lowered the gate leading out of the city.
"Gate ho!" Kohl cried with excitement, "They wish to corner us like beast and finish us off! They will find there is great fight in me!" His smile broadened and he placed a hand back an onto the hilt of his greatsword. His muscles tensed in excitement, as a beast savors the meat from a slaughter to come.

Anonymous

"Don't be too quick to draw your blade my friend.  Just remember to duck."  Hachen said as he took out his wand and pointed at the the crank for the gates.  He made a small column of stone shoot up from the wall and get stuck right in the middle of a chain link for the gate, effectively jamming the gate for at least a short while.  "Hurry, they'll figure it out quick enough I'm sure."