Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Accident of Fate (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, May 26, 2010, 02:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Liadan was very sick of this heat. Thank the Gods her tent provided some shade. Her wings felt extra heavy and limp in the heat and the few tendrils of her blond hair that had escaped her up style were sticking to her skin. She was not a creature made for this heat, but the money was good. At least her skimpy, light, "mysterious" outfits worked well here. Showing extra skin always got her better tips. And helped with her side business.

She really should be outside, luring people in. But it was an effort to even want to move. Her last customer hadn't any money and instead had given her a necklace in exchange for reading his cards. It was rather pretty, a large jewel, with a few smaller ones with a silver chain. Dangling it in front of her, Laidan watched it spin for a bit, before setting it down with a sigh. Heat or no heat, she needed to get some money. The life of a performer was never easy.

Standing, the fortune teller stashed the necklace in her painfully empty money box and returned it to it's hiding spot. Time to rustle up some more business. Fixing her hair as best she could, hoping to get rid of that wilted look, Liadan stepped out of her tent into the bright sunlight. All around her the circus bustled, people moving about, watching the freaks and performers.

"Fortunes told! Come get your palm read! See what the Gods and the Fates have in store for you. A glimpse into the mysteries of time for only a few coppers!"

Lion

"It's called blood, you goddamn moron."

The huge man, clad in a tattered robe, torn on the right side and barely clinging but by a few strands on his left, was crouched over in the sand, clutching his hands and staring at the red stains that were smeared across his fingers and palm.  He was at a loss for words and it was as if he could hardly believe his eyes."

The voice in his head laugh sinisterly and mocked him.  "If you were half as earthly as you said you were, you'd know that.  Up there sitting on your high cloud as if you were some fucking duke. He he he, how does it feel, Haelo, to realize the blood on your hands?"  The voice laughed again.

Haelo, as he'd been called, clenched his fists and buried them in the hot sand, washing the redness away with the rocks and dust and sloshing it too and fro.  The heat inevitably got to him and he pulled them away.  Sweat was running down his back and his black leather leggings weren't doing so well to keep him cool.  "Shut up!  Shut up, Maelzedek.  This is your fault and you know it.  Let the gods be damned if you didn't give me that blind rage.  They were just thieves anyway."

"Yes, just thieves.  Nobody would miss them anyway.  And besides, they deserved it.  Trying to take that mighty weapon of yours and all, as if they could really cart it away anyhow.  That thing's heavier than a goddamned boulder."  Maelzedek growled a little, irritated from sitting here in the dirt like so, but there was little he could do against the sudden growth of power Haelo had.  Always when he was like this, he gained control over the one fleshy vessel they shared.  Oh, how he longed to tear free and wreak havoc on the world in his own hellish form.

Haelo looked around at the bodies that surrounded them, bandits cloaked in fancy headwraps to protect them form the sun, though that was really useless now.  They were such crude things, these limbed figures which some no longer had, and wielded clumsy, useless weapons that failed them.  They were humans no doubt, tanned and burned in their faces and especially around their eyes.  He didn't feel remorse or regret as he thought he would.  Murder was beneath him, yet he didn't understand why suddenly he didn't fly to take back his weapon himself.  He had felt something darker creep over him and he'd slain the bastards as if they were such tiny things.

Haelo finally stood and burned internally at the hate he held for the demon inside of him, that fed off his brooding and sorrow.  But he knew that he would be worthless if he couldn't fix his own problems.  Dusting off the sand that clung to his clothes he breathed hard and headed over a dune before reaching his spear that was strewn in the struggle.  It was a large weapon, looking light even in its five and a half foot length.  It had a weighty pommel in the back to counterbalance the larger blade in the front that was held down by a rounded tube-like structure that was embedded with studs.  It gleamed slightly and the weight was lighter than the cloth on his shoulder.  He held it steadily and viewed across the vast distance ahead of him and saw the shimmering glare of what looked like a city up ahead.

"Essyrn...Ah, good times back in the day," Maelzedek muttered with satisfaction.  "It's better than walking around in this godforsaken desert, don't you think?

"I can't wait to get rid of you," Haelo answered and headed off toward the gleam, not caring if it was a mirage or a feeding ground for these human creatures.

It wasn't long before he reached its outskirts and just there were massive tents built up and people everywhere chattering, flashing silver or golden coins in the sun and with toys and laughter and cries and acting not quite as he'd seen before.  Haelo was surprised and walked in slowly, ignoring Maelzedek in his head that recalled times of lust and debauchery in a place just like this.  It was as if he'd stepped into another world and all around were odd creatures, some doing tricks, some were leading people into tents and others throwing flaming or sharp objects in the air to grab a few wows from the crowd.  He turned slightly and saw, lingering out of a tent, a woman with wings, something that he'd not seen since...well, never.

"Small rack, I'd stay away from her,"Maelzedek said.  "Ooo, that chesty one over there!  Go talk to her."

But Haelo wasn't paying attention and was mulling over something for a time, wondering and listening to what the winged woman was saying.  Finally after some time, perhaps he would attempt some of this foolery, if only it would get people trying to inspect him.  He didn't need to be so conspicuous.  "I think I will," he said, looking as if he was talking to himself.  He strode over, looking confused as if he'd been in the heat for too long and stared at the woman with her odd wings as if she was where he was from.  It was highly unlikely.  She didn't smell like anything divine.  If anything, she was far too mortal.  "If you can hear what the gods have to say, then I think you might be able to help me with my...problem."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Maybe today was going to be her lucky day! First she had gotten that necklace and now a stunning blond man was making his way over to her. He was looking at her a little funny, though that didn't surprise Liadan much. She got odd looks from most people. Granted, he didn't quite have that look on his face. But beggars can't be choosers!

Tilting her head, so that he could see into her hood a little better, Liadan gave him a small smile, "I can tell you what the gods have planned for you, if you are brave enough to listen." The man looked like the warrior type and most of those were pretty prickly about their pride.

Stepping backwards into her tent, to avoid turning around and smacking him with her wings, Liadan motioned him to follow. The darkened tent was a little cooler than the outside and filled with strange, magical looking knickknacks. Lots of scarves draped around and a table with two chairs taking up most of the space.

The fortune teller took a seat in one chair, her movements careful to avoid knocking anything over with her wings. She gestured to the other chair, "Sit. You have a question, an important one." Time to take a stab in the dark and see what she got, "Something troubles you, you have a dark spot in your past."

Most fighting men seemed too. And hopefully that was vague enough that it would work for whatever had drawn the man into her tent.

Lion

Despite the weeks he'd spent wandering in the desert, battling freezing night and scorching day, covered in dust, fending off marauders, hunting animals, and living like a madman, he still was not all that bad to look at.  In fact, he was unaware at just how pleasing he was to the eye with the way a few people kept staring at him as he walked over to the tent and started talking to the hooded woman.  She was trying to look mysterious, this he could tell.  And the problem was, it was working.

"What are you doing?" Maelzedek asked, starting to feel a growl coming on.  "She's hideous, get out of here now."

"No, no," Haelo whispered, looking around the tent as if in a delirium.  He said a few more words to himself, like "I know!  I know.  Just shut up, already!"  Just what he needed to look like, a crazy blonde half-giant in front of this very kind fortune teller.  "Um, I'm sorry.  I've just...been out in the uh, sun, for so long.  I'm feeling a little dizzy.  I'm feeling quite confused...um...my throat feels suddenly so dry."

"You're thirsty, dumbass."

Haelo's eyes went wide.  "Water, please.  Do you have any water before we begin? But before you tell me what the gods have to say, can you tell me your name?"  He felt his sight pulled now to a little corner that was tucked away and seemed to be made to be inconspicuous.  It looked as unsuspecting as it seemed to be intended, but he couldn't help but stare at that spot.  It was almost as if something was calling him or something.  "Um, could you get that water quickly?"  Weeks in the desert and already he was losing his mind.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

It was a shame. The lookers always had something wrong with them. And this one seemed to be a little touched in the head. Even for all his odd behavior, Liadan still found herself reaching up to touch her blond hair, smoothing it a little.

"Water? Yes, of course. You must be very careful in the desert I am told. It is a harsh place." Standing, Liadan moved with a strange grace, always conscious of where he wings were, the gold tipped feathers hardly brushing against anything, even in her small tent.

He seemed overly interested in the spot her box was stashed. She didn't like that much at all. The man was a brute and if he wanted to take it, there wasn't much she could do to stop it. Though, he didn't seem much like the type.

Handing Haelo a cup filled with cool water, Liadan smiled up at him, "Have as much as you like." There just seemed to be something childlike about him. No. That wasn't the word she wanted. Innocent? That wasn't quite it either, but closer. But whatever it was about him, he just didn't seem the type to rob poor woman in broad daylight.

Lion

It was just for a second that Haelo's attention was pulled away from the corner where she'd placed something quite important, though he didn't know it.  He'd felt a strange aura from there, something that was powerful, maybe even more so than him.  Haelo came back to the real world and looked up to see a clay cup in Liadan's hand.  He looked fascinated with it for a really long time, the heat had really gotten to him apparently.

But he reached up soon enough and grabbed it firmly in his heavy hands, careful not to crush the fragile object as he could easily do.  He sipped it carefully and felt the rush of liquid down his throat and gasped gratefully as if it was the greatest thing on this barren planet to behold.  And maybe he wasn't too far off.  Downing the rest, he set it down on the table.  Staring away, then up to her wings, he blinked hard and regained himself.  "I'm sorry for acting so strange, but this heat.  I'm really not all that much used to it. I'm, um, my name is Haelo.  Thank you for the water Ms. Winged-Fortune-Teller-Lady-Person.  Um, please, let's continue with the session.  I don't want to waste your time."

Haelo set his palm down on the table instinctively and stared at her knowingly, waiting for her to get started.  "Tell me what you see."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Liadan couldn't keep from staring at the man's odd behavior. He really must have been in the desert a long time, though he didn't look burned. He looked...amazing. That was a plus at least. His focus on the corner where her box was kept made her a little wary though.

The looks at her wings were pretty normal. Though, maybe she should start dying them. Something darker, more dramatic. She gave another small smile as she took her seat, "You can call me Liadan. Haelo was it? That is a strong name."

Taking his huge hand into her delicate one, Liadan lightly traced her finger along the lines in his palm, "I see you have led an interesting life. Much darkness and danger." She blinked her eyes and they shifted from a warm brown color to pure white. A dramatic trick of genetics she found useful. "Something weighs on you." Why else did warriors come to her tent. Well, he didn't seem to be interested in her other services, so that left guilt. It was generally a solid guess. Lifting her head a little, Liadan watched his face, hoping to see how on track she was.

Lion

Things were only just starting to get odd.  At least for him anyway.  Haelo felt his vision blurring suddenly and he looked at the smudgy features of the fortune-teller as if she were some monster with weird psychological powers.  He'd fought demons like that before, crazy beasts that could mess with your mind, make you see what they wanted you to see in a snap.  

She even started to transform a little or so he thought, with her eyes suddenly a different color.  He jumped a little at that and stared dumbfounded.  He could feel control suddenly weaken and again his eyes were drawn to that peculiar spot in the corner of the room.  When a short dizziness took him he felt himself pushed back into his own mind and there stood that ominous presence, that dark force that tore at his own soul.

"Snap out of it, you dumb bastard!  Let me handle this."

Maelzedek took up Haelo's mantle as if nothing.  Immediately he looked at Liadan and smiled sinisterly at her, as if he knew all about her ruse and her foolishness.  He closed his hand around hers and leaned in close.  "A strong name for a strong man."  He flashed his teeth and added pressure to the grip as if he threatened to crush her hand, which he could easily do if he wished.   Maelzedek was careful and just about ready to rape the fortune-teller, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun as conquering her mentally first.  Power was all-encompassing and the hunger for it burned in the demon hotter now in the desert than he ever imagined.  If he could, he would cast out the Angelo's spirit and take this body for his own.  Moments of possession like this were the next best thing.

"Don't talk to me like I'm blind.  I can see right through you," he said.  And he looked at her as if he could see right through her clothes.  "What else are you selling besides horse shit?  I'm looking to buy something better."

"What...?  What are you doing!?  Leave her alone!  Don't you touch her!" cried out Haelo from within, writhing with agony and rage.

"I'll make you meet the gods..." Maelzedek said, ignoring the spine-rattling Haelo channeled from within.  "Then drag you down to hell."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

(So sorry this took so long. School is kicking my ass >__<)

Liadan felt a shiver up her spine. Something was wrong. The man was acting oddly and her danger sense was tingling. Enough. Money wasn't worth this. She would find someone else. Opening her mouth to get him out of her tent, Liadan found herself making a pained scream instead as his hand closed over her hand, squeezing painfully.

Standing up, bent over slightly, as Maelzedek still had her hand captured, Liadan struggled, unable to get free of him, "Stop. Please. I don't have anything! Please! I'm just a fortune teller!" What could he want with her? She didn't own anything of any real value. The necklace she received earlier that day didn't even cross her mind, she had no idea it's real value.

"Just...calm down, okay?" He seemed like a different person almost and Liadan needed to get away, "Let me go, okay? And we can talk. What are you looking for?" Liadan gave a silent prayer to her gods that they protect her. Just be some simple robber and then he would leave.

Lion

"Oh, trust me, lovely.  I haven't been calmer nor finer on a brighter day," Maelzedek uttered and leaned over on the table, not letting go and lashing out a snake-like tongue at her.  "I think you're more than just a 'fortune teller,' my sweet.  You're just what I've been looking for."

The body in which both spirits possessed did not carry anything that could be valued as money.  Nothing so material was ever so valuable to the being, or the two souls within.  True Haelo only ever valued the spear that he carried, a gift from the heavens that he earned and that was crafted just for him.  Nothing else could ever have such store on him that he would throw the Jihukoten away to hold in his hands.  Not even his freedom.  In fact, the weapon itself would be the very one in which he would slay the demon inside him with when he was free of it.

He could feel the stench and the taint the creature was bringing upon the one body they shared and as Maelzedek prepared to overtake this incredibly stupid mortal, Haelo fought with all his might to take control of the vessel they were forced into.  As he did so, Maelzedek felt his body start to tremble and as he did so, the tent to began to rattle about them and Haelo forced the demon's grip away from Liadan.

"Goddammit!" the demon exclaimed and fell from his chair as the rattling worsened and the whole circus started to quake.  Then Haelo, regaining command, found himself crawling desperately to the corner of the tent where he'd been looking before and something jewel like flew out of the box and was glowing a bright, translucent blue.  It wasn't anything like he'd ever seen before and Haelo reached for it, drawn like a puny insect, only to retract as if it burned him.  He seethed then looked at Liadan.  "Grab it," he commanded, looking more sane than he did before then relinquished the spear from his back and held it to her threateningly.  "Grab it!  Or I'll run you through!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"No, no. I'm not. I'm just a fortune teller! Please..." Liadan's voice cracked and her eyes scanned the room, trying to see a way to get away. The man's sudden change in personality frightened her and his monstrous strength hurt. Her heart was pounding in her chest, her entire body trembling with fear.

When the tend began to shake, Liadan let out a scream, scrambling back away from the man, her wings snapping open, smacking into the walls of the tent. She couldn't tear her eyes away from him as she ducked behind the table.

It took her a moment to realize what he was even doing. She stared blankly at the jewel, not understanding what the problem was. It was just that stupid necklace she had gotten. His next comment had Liadan wincing and carefully moving forward, eyes locked on Haelo.

She had no idea why it was glowing and honestly didn't care. Her hand reached out, closing over the jewel and pulling it against her chest, "W-what do you want with it?"

Lion

No words came to him, he just stared at the stone with wide, sullen eyes and it was as if an obsession came over him.  The jewel undoubtedly drew him like a lodestone and Haelo almost pounced at it helplessly, but he the knowledge of the pain it caused him all through out his body was the only thing that kept him at bay.

"Hold on it.  Just hold it and don't drop it," he commanded with the utmost seriousness.

He peered up at Liadan with determination, eyes narrowed and the spear held threateningly if she tried anything fast.  "So much as an inch in the wrong direction and I'll fillet you so fast, you'll still be alive to taste your remains," he said, wondering where such threats were coming from.  He stood up, dragging sand everywhere and dashed toward her.  "We can't stay here.  You need to come with me.  And your voice has no power in that matter."  Haelo's eyes were wild and he stared at her as if he'd just lost his mind which he just very well may have.

In that instant, several large carnies, who probably also worked for the circus, stumbled into the tent, one of them shouting, "Liadan! Are you alright!?  The quaking was coming from here!  Wait...What the hell!?  Who the hell are you?"

"Get out of here!" Haelo screamed at them and stood in front of the fortune-teller.  Then he gave a quick glance at her.  "I hope you're not afraid of heights."  Black wings rushed out of his back at that time, tearing out of his flesh and causing him to shudder in pain.  But they pushed up him up into the air and he gripped her arm up at that time, tearing through the surface of the tent.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Oh Gods. Ohgodsohgodsohgods. Laidan trembled, repeating the prayer over and over in her mind, staring at the crazed man. How had this even happened? What had she ever done to deserve this. She just shook her head, doing her best to not move, "N-no. I wont move. I promise. Please...just don't hurt me."

She wasn't a fighter and he had already shown how much stronger than she was. Trying anything would be pointless!

When her friends from the circus burst in, her felt her heart stop, her blood running cold. She couldn't let them get hurt! Jumping to her feet, the winged woman didn't have time to do anything more before her tent was being destroyed by the mans huge wings, the top torn open.

Letting out a shrill scream, Laidan clung to Haelo tightly, her own wings beating uselessly, trying to control herself somehow. Despite the wings, Laidan didn't fly. She wasn't used to being off the ground and she didn't like it. At all.

Lion

He didn't like the sensation of the demon's wings.  They were larger and more cumbersome than the wings he had taken from him.  Of course, he willingly let them go, knowing he didn't deserve to carry them, and hadn't flown since.  It was only by the power of the demon inside him that he was even granted flight.  He hated having to hold gratitude toward Maelzedek, but he didn't think running away was much of an option anyway.

Haelo clamped on to her with his free hand, like an iron brace, even as the necklace pressed against his skin and started to burn him a little more.  The demon wings pushed against the air effortlessly as his huge body suddenly felt weightless.  They spread wide once they were off the ground a great distance and the people there on the floor were tiny dots, ants on the face of the sand.

Speaking of sand, Haelo never knew how much of it there was until he was this high up in the air and for a second he forgot about the woman he just snatched up and the necklace that drove him nuts.  The sand was everywhere, miles all around.  Haelo's mouth fell open for a moment as he looked all around.  He also didn't realize how hot it was up here with him being so close to the sun.  But already, he was passing over dunes and toward the center of the city Maelzedek had called Essyrn.  It was only now that the sensation of counter wings trying to flap uselessly caught his attention and he looked down at her with a sincere frown.  "Calm down!  Stop struggling!  You don't want to fall do you?  Now listen to me, what part of the city are we flying over?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Liadan didn't stop screaming, legs and arms wrapping around Haelo in a death grip. She had never been this high in her life and it was terrifying her. Eyes tightly shut she just shook her head, "I can't look! I can't look!"

She struggled to keep her wings tight, but it was hard with the wind rushing against her, "Oh god! Please take us down! PLEASE!"

Lion

And to his own surprise, Haelo suddenly started to feel bad for the screaming woman that clung to him for dear life, literally.  She wrapped whatever she could around him, save for her useless wings that swung around violently for not having anything else to do.  He really wished she would stop struggling because all of the motions her wings were making were causing him to fly unstably.  The leathery skin ruffled and shifted awkwardly, making Haelo lose balance in his flight and sent him spiraling out of control.  She said she wanted to go down, well, now they were going down.

He darted downwardly, like an arrow shot out from the sky, spinning and clutching onto Liadan like a ragdoll.  "Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt!" he shouted just as they plummeted toward the ground.  Before he had time to right himself, the surface of a rooftop was enlarging quickly.  He twisted around, placing himself on the bottom and lost all the breath in his body as they crashed through the roof and down into the room below.   He felt his back impact something soft, but that wasn't enough to hold him and he fell through that thing as well, to meet another hard surface.

He sucked breath in sharply as he opened his eyes, coughing a little amidst rising clouds of dust and dirt.  He still held on tightly to the fortune teller and didn't let go even as he saw the tattered remains of a bedframe around him, and a cushiony mattress beneath him.  "Well....um, we're down now."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Liadan was trying to control her wings, she really was. But she couldn't help but flap them against the wind. Then suddenly, they were falling and Liadan's screams stuck in her throat. She was going to die, her heart was going to explode out her her chest well before they even splattered against the ground.

Digging her nails tighter into Haelo, Laidan sobbed, eyes squeezed tightly shut, prayers racing through her mind, to any god that would listen.

Then they smashed into the house. Haelo took most of the damage from the fall, but he wasn't able to protect her huge, delicate wings. Pain shot through her as her wings were smashed against the destroyed roof and timbers. Vivid red blood stained the white and gold feathers and Liadan found her voice again, screaming in pain and fear.

Even once the falling stopped, the fortune teller clung to Haelo, trembling and sobbing, her mangled wings spread around her. The damage too them wasn't too awful, though a number of feathers had been ripped out and a few of the fragile ones were most likely broken.

Lion

Whoever heard those screams would probably thought somebody just committed bloody murder.  Haelo was still quite disoriented from the landing.  Splinters flew everywhere and some blood trailed down his arms.  He found that some had entered into his arms stuck out like speared thorns.  Apart of him was astounded at the sign but he sighed only as he tried to stand up, seeing if his legs still worked.  When he found they did, he struggled to his feet, his legs lurching and wobbly beneath him.

And still she clung to him, like a desperate child.  A rushing of boots emerged up the stairs toward the room they were currently in and when a man and woman screamed at the sight of him and the huge hole in their ceiling.  "What are you doing in here?!"  the woman demanded, grabbing the sword from her trembling husband.

"Sorry!" was all Haelo could manage.   Then another voice burst through his thoughts.  "Kill them!" Maelzedek demanded viciously.

Haelo groaned as he fought for control, the demon coursing in him, making thrust the spear in his hand menacingly at the woman.  She shrieked in fear and only backed up as Haelo came rushing forward, holding Liadan as he did so, jumping the first flight of steps and leaping down the rest.  His booted foot thrust out into the door, kicking it down as he dashed through it.  He didn't now how far he'd gone within the city's walls but he managed to evade pursuit by the guard, if they cared at all to follow him.  Haelo ducked into an alley away from the sight of prying eyes and stopped, resting by the wall and propped the spear against it as well.

"Woman, you, fortune teller.  You can let go of me now."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Clinging to Haelo, Liadan was having a hard time focusing on everything that was happening. It was too much, too fast and the pain in her wings was making it hard to focus. She had drawn them tightly against herself as the angel fled, but they still felt like liquid fire on her back.

When he finally stopped, Liadan released him, backing up, eyes wide and her entire body trembled with shock and adrenaline. Then her spine straightened and Liadan took several deep, calming breathes, doing her best to ignore the pain in her wings.

She took a few moments to regain her composer, not looking at Haelo as she straightened her clothes and smoothed her hair. Once she felt more like her self, her heartbeat slowing down to a more normal level, Liadan closed the distance between her and Haelo and cracked him hard across the face, "How dare you! You...you...cretin!"

Cheeks flushed, eyes narrowed to slits, Liadan stared up at the taller man, "You have some serious explaining to do!" She knew she should be careful around him, she did know this. He had frightened her badly earlier. But Liadan had reached the end of her rope and the fact that people were in screaming distance was making her feel a little braver.

Lion

Maelzedek and Haelo didn't always react or think in tandem.  To ever find a moment where the two acted as a single entity was a potentially rare one that the earth would have to endure a second ice age for it to ever happen.  Furthermore, should it ever happen, there was bound to be something dangerous that was going to result because of it.  Alone, each entity was a hurricane force, prepared to wreak havoc on anything it chose.  Together...who knows what could happen?

Haelo wasn't really prepared for her reaction, though he should have been.  He was out of breath himself.  Despite his physical endurance, he was still within a very physical body.  It wasn't like he could run forever and not get tired.  His heart rate nearly crashed through his chest and little beads of sweat trailed their way down his forehead.  But his expression remained grim and slightly desperate, like a kid that got smacked and didn't know what for.

The crack was pretty vicious and sent his head whirling, twisting his neck until he almost spun.  Cretin wasn't really an insult he would have used, but with a quick possession by Maelzedek, he instinctively reached out and grabbed her face, shoving her back to gain some distance.  "Listen you worthless wench," the demon spat out viciously.  "I could rip your face off—"

"Oh, dear gods, I'm sorry,"  Haelo quickly cut in, shoving the demon aside.  "I apologize with every ounce of my being."  A small part of him actually meant it and his tone was imploring, but no less dangerous.  "It's not something you'll be prepared to understand.  I know I have to explain, but there are some things in this world that you probably wouldn't believe anyway!  But I had to get you away from those people.  It was the only way."

He sighed exasperatedly.  "I am...possessed...by a monster...  A bastard demon, an evil son-of-a-bitch that'll kill you if I let it.  Trust me when I say that I am not the cretin.  But the one that lurks inside of me, the one called Maelzedek.  That's only one of his many names.  And I've been trying to be rid of him for as long as I can remember...  Please, you have to help me.  That stone you have.  I think it might be able to do something about my problem.  It's not a matter of choice...you will help me because I cannot hold that jewel myself.  But, to be honest, I'd rather not have to force you.  Will you help me?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn