Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Accident of Fate (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, May 26, 2010, 02:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Liadan's eyes went wide when the man suddenly grabbed her face, her body going still. She shouldn't have done that. The slap was a bad, bad idea. Squeezing her eyes shut, she waited for the pain.

She carefully opened them when Haelo started to apologize instead. Taking a step back, the winged seer put some distance between herself and the insane man. Her wings hurt, sending shooting pains up through her nerves, even holding them in was a pain and the white feathers were stained red in a few places.

"You have a demon inside you?" Oh Gods. She would have the luck. "Can't you see a priest or something?" She carefully took another step back. He was dangerous and she should just run. But...where exactly was she going to be running? Haelo would just catch her again and who knew what the other one would do.

Closing her eyes, Liadan took a few careful breaths, concentrating on her breathing while she tried to process this all. Her options were not very good. After a moment, she opened her eyes again, "....I will help you if you promise not to hurt me. You or Maldek or whatever his name is."

Lion

He was insane.  He had to be.  There was no way in the entire world that this woman was gonna believe him if she had any sense in that coconut shaped head of hers.   What the heck was a coconut anyway...?  And why did he think her head was shaped like one?  That was beside the point!

Haelo's eyes were wild, he looked like a person that had been living in solitude for a hundred years and talked to themselves while trying to figure out the meaning of cheese while simultaneously setting pigs and wolves on fire, then pelting them from the sky.  That was the meaning of true insanity.  Yet here he was in an alley with this bird woman, trying to find a way to deal with the monster that was driving him crazy.

He half expected her to just try to leave him.  But if she did that, he wouldn't be able to trust her with the kind of information that he'd just given her.  Would he kill her?  He didn't want to come to situation where he would have a reason to do so.

At last she didn't.  Much to his relief.  "Yes...I do.  It's ridiculous I know, but it's the truth."  He waited another moment until she spoke again.  At this he smiled widely.  "I promise.  You have my word of honor.  Maelzedek won't hurt you as long as I can help it."  And when he couldn't resist hugging her any longer, he thrust forward and wrapped her in a tight grateful embrace, spinning her around and shouting endless thank-yous.  It wasn't until he set her down that he noticed the blood on his arms from touching her wings.  "Whoa!  You're hurt!  Why didn't you say anything?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Liadan really didn't want to be doing this. Really at all. The man was obviously deranged, but she highly doubted she would be able to get away from all this if she tried to resist him. Just go along with him and try to solve the whole mess without any more injury.

She gave a weak smile when he gave his promise. As long as he could help it didn't really sound all that promising, but she didn't have long to think on it when he was suddenly hugging her and swinging her around.

The pain from her wings almost caused her to black out and she made a small, strangled sound in the back of her throat. Thankfully it didn't take him long to stop and she clung to him, her face pale, "We crashed through a building. And you have been acting rather insane. At what point was it a good place to mention being injured?"

Lion

He rolled his eyes in sheer annoyance.  This woman would think such a thing, really?  Even Maelzedek muttered something rude and impertinent under his breath inside Haelo's head.   "Why don't we just ditch this bitch!  She's just gonna be deadweight, you stupid angel.  Or whatever you are.  Not so angelic since I came along."  The demon laughed within, mocking him.

But Haelo didn't laugh or even react to the demon.  It wasn't worth his time after all nor was he really a lodestone to his attention even though he was technically right.  After his possession, he hardly had done anything to make him worthy of ever returning to where he came from.

Still a frown became his face and he stepped back, holding her shoulders at arm's length.  "Being a moron is no excuse for letting yourself stay in pain.  And I'm not crazy," Haelo said sternly.  "Let's go find you healer.  Do those wings work at all anyways?  If they did, we probably wouldn't have crashed."  He stepped forward, then cast another look to make sure she still had that necklace, then dragged her along by the hand to get a move on.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"Well, I can't fly with them, no." Her eyes narrowed slightly at the mention of being a moron. She wasn't really in the habit of informing insane kidnappers that liked to threaten her she was injured. But she didn't really want to fight with him.

She straightened her back, giving Haelo a cold look, "And we wouldn't have crashed if you hadn't abducted me out of my tent. And really when exactly was I supposed to bring up my injuries? I have had slightly more pressing concerns, like being kidnapped!" He was the crazy one! Him! How dare he try and act like she was the lunatic here!

"But, yes. A healer would be nice. I..uh...do you know where one is?" She hadn't been in the area long enough to know, and they traveled with a healer in her troupe, so they rarely needed a local one. Could her life really get any worse than it currently was? She was really starting to doubt that.

Lion

"No, I don't but I'm sure I'll find one that's open.  This place is in the middle of the desert, there's got to be at least a thousand healers and apothecaries in this city."

It was only just barely going to start getting worse for the both of them that was for sure.  Haelo didn't know where to find a healer in this town, he didn't know his way around like Maelzedek did.  But he knew that the demon would be above providing aid to him and this woman he didn't want along in the first place.  So that was out of the question.

"Don't try to blame this one me woman!" Haelo challenged back.  He kept dragging her along the busy street, clinging along the side until he found an opening with which to cross it.  The hot air hit him like a brick.  "How was I supposed to make you come with me?  I'm pretty sure I couldn't have just asked, 'Oh Miss, I need help exorcising a demon out of me and you're the only one that can help!  Will you come with me?'  No I don't think so!  And it still didn't excuse the fact that you still could have said something!  Stop being such a baby and help me find a healer."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Excuse me!?" Liadan trailed after Haelo, keeping her wings as tight and still as she was able to, "Are you trying to blame this on me? YOU KIDNAPPED ME!" She couldn't believe him! No wonder a demon possessed him! He already had the personality of one.

"And it wouldn't have hurt to try asking instead of abducting me out of my home and dragging me off and then trying to say it was all my fault!" The nerve of this man! She was the victim here and he was trying to make this her fault?!

Deep breathes. Deep, calming breathes. Her fists clenched into her dress as she tried to regain her composure. Let it fall away like water. Go to your calm place. Calm.

"Baby!" There went her calm place, "I am not being a baby! I am perfectly justified in being a tad bit upset that some crazy man is making me help him and the lunatic inside him!" The seer then snapped her mouth shut, struggling for calm again, "Let's just...see if we can spot one or ask for directions to one."

Lion

Here he was trying to make peace (as how peace would have looked in his mind), which meant her shutting her trap and letting him take the lead.  It was misogynistic, chauvinistic, and petty.  But anybody that was being annoyed on two fronts, from without and within, wouldn't have cared about any kind of politically correct formalities.  Haelo didn't care what was between her legs, but if she kept wagging her jaw like she did, he wouldn't mind turning around quickly and slugging her good in the jaw.

"I didn't have time, Liadan," he tried again, stemming his temper back for as long as he could.  "I didn't have any other options.  You would have done the same thing in my place!  If you're trying to pick a fight, you'll get one!"  He said with adamance but it sounded more like anger.

"Sure, you're justified.  Blah, blah, blah, blah.....blah.  Or however that goes.  Big baby.  Yes, let's ask somebody.  You there, madam, do you know where a healer is nearby?"  Haelo asked kindly, giving his attention to a squat, burnt old lady that appeared like a walking prune.

She wagged a nervous finger in the direction of a short building down the street.  "There, my son.  That way."

"Thank you," he nodded, and started off that way.  He looked across the waves of people and made out the name of a place called Jasmine and Jaspar's Uppers and Downers.  Whatever that meant.  But he hoped once she got her wings fixed, she would shut up.  "That way, you loony.  Let's go."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"No, no I would not have done the same thing you barbaric thug!" Liadan couldn't believe the nerve of this guy! How dare he! She had been nothing but pleasant and helpful and he was dumping it all on her! Now she was glad she had smacked him, because he was about ready to get hit over his pretty head with something!

She gave him a dark glare when he snapped at the woman, "Thank you ma'am. For the directions. Forgive my companions rudeness." She gave the woman an overly bright smile before hurrying after Haelo.

"Um...what...kind of place is this?" Liadan couldn't read very well and couldn't read Essyni at all, but it didn't seem like a very wholesome place, "This is a healers?"

Lion

He didn't know what it was he'd just read or what it meant, but his ability to adequately decipher letters and symbols into the right sounds seemed almost strange.  He didn't know how he'd done it, just that he did.  Like waking up suddenly and knowing all the languages of the world.  He doubted everyone here spoke the same language.

He hurried on and peered in through the shop's foggy windows.  There was nothing on display, they were dirty and covered in years of grime that he found rather unpleasant.  "It should be, that's what the woman said," he replied before stepping through into the door.  The whole place was covered in smoke like there was a fire here recently.  A bell chimed when they entered and soon they were met by a woman who stunk as bad as the shop.

"Excuse me.  Is this a healers?  My friend here is hurt and needs her wings mended.  Do you think you could help us," he said, pushing Liadan forward to meet the woman.

She seemed dazed and old, her skin having definitely aged at least sixty-five years.  The woman gave her head a tilt, inspecting the two of them before sniffing haughtily and nodding.  She had a rolled burning stick in her hand which she puffed negligently here and there.  "Yes, dearies, this is a healer's of sorts.  Come on toward the back now and we'll get you all fixed up.  Would you like some puff, dears?  It's a wonderful supplement.  I've just been so high strung since my brother died that I smoke the stuff every day.  It's the only way I can get by.  I'm Jasmine by the way, my dears."  The woman called Jasmine sauntered out into the back room through a curtain of hanging beads.

Haelo wasn't sure if he should follow or not, but he didn't want to give Liadan a chance to get away.  He crept behind them, looming like a giant, blonde brute.  Jasmine turned and gave him a look like he should keep his distance.  He did.

"Come, my dear.  What is your name, winged one?  Oh, please don't mind the dust and dirt.  I haven't really had a chance to clean up.  Have a seat, have a seat!  Don't be shy.  I can fix anything, I've been doing this for years...birthing babies, mending arms, taking off arms, you name it, I've done it.  And you, big man, take a seat right there.  If I need your help, I'll ask for it."  She smiled nicely and took another long drag off the rolled stick in her hand.

"Er...madam.  Maybe you shouldn't smoke that while you're trying to work...  What if you fix something that isn't broken...or put her wing back in the wrong place?"  Haelo said abruptly, wondering how this would affect Liadan's broken wing.

Jasmine gave Haelo a set of the sharpest black daggers he'd ever seen.  "Don't be so presumptuous, young man.  Don't tell me how to do my job!  I'm just fine!  Now have a seat!  And you, dear, sit so that I may see your wings better, dear."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Liadan did not like this. She did not like this at all. The whole place was filthy and reeked. Though, a lot of leeches and barbers tended to have dirty shops. Maybe that was a good sign? Regardless, she stuck close to Haelo, trying to keep from touching anything in the shop.

She was a little surprised when Haelo spoke to the woman in Essyni instead of common. She couldn't follow what was being said, but she kept feeling nervous. The woman motioned her forward, finally switching to common, "My name? Oh, I am Liadan Ma'am. Um...you are a healer then?"

Sitting down, Liadan gave Haelo another nervous look before slowly spreading her wings. The damage wasn't too awful, but there were a number of torn feathers and broken bones. Red splattered the wings, darker than the red that tipped them.

Lion

Obviously, the woman was not legitimate.  But her intentions were good.  Weren't they?  The healer just dashed the ashes out in a small clay tray on a table beside her and kept puffing at the puff until it was nearly gone, trying to get every last bit of the high while she could.

"My my, deary, that's a horrible wound.  I think I can fix this, yes.  I can."  Jasmine put the rest of the cigarette thing out in the tray and wobbly waltzed over to a bookshelf containing huge spines covered in dust and grime.  Well wasn't this nice, Haelo observed her open a particularly large purple cover, stretched over with a scratched leather skin.  Jasmine moved about after setting the book down on a table in the center and starting scrambling for incense and candles in the already sweltering room.

Haelo took the opportunity now to lean over and whisper to Liadan, "How are we going to pay this woman?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The bad feeling kept growing and Liadan twisted to watch the woman. She wasn't really sure she liked this plan at all, but her wings needed to get taken care of before they started to heal wrong. She shifted her weight, trying not to fidget when she heard Haelo's words.

Lowering her voice, she glared at him, hissing, "Well, I don't have any money on me! It's all back in my tent! You didn't really expect me to pay to heal the damage you caused, did you?"

Lion

"Of course not," he returned harshly while the woman was busy fidgeting with a tinderbox.  "Stop trying to make me out to be the bad guy, woman.  I'm trying to help you here.  I didn't have to bring you here.  I could have brought you to some secluded spot and left you there to die!  Please just be a little grateful.  Please!  I'll think of something, just let her heal you.  I promise."

Haelo gave her a hateful look, like he wanted to strangle her a little but stopped himself short when Jasmine returned and started to speak incredibly loud, as if she couldn't even hear herself.  "OKAY I'M GOING TO CAST A DARISIS ENCHANTMENT ON YOU, DEAR, STAY STILL AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING WHILE I SAY THE SPELL.  IT WILL ADJUST THE BONES BY THEMSELVES AND ACCELERATE YOUR HEALING BY SEVERAL DAYS.  OKAY, HERE IT GOES.  BARUMBA, DARIA, TARUMBA, MACARIA!"  Jasmine waved her hands around until a green light emerged from their palms, then she rubbed them together quickly and placed them on the wound, watching the blood dissipate as if it had never been.

Haelo, not aware that Liadan didn't understand what the woman was saying, stood up and held the sensitive part of her wing where he knew she would probably feel an intense pain soon after.  Darisis enchantments were good but the side-effects were not always pleasant, unless pain was your thing.  But he didn't want to think about that right now.

Jasmine soon finished, still shouting and pat the unfortunate fortune teller on the shoulder.  "THERE YOU GO MY DEAR. ALL FIXED.  HOW DO YOU FEEL?"

Haelo jerked her slightly and repeated the question himself.  "How do you feel now?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"You-!" Liadan didn't have a chance to reply before the woman came back, yelling in a language she couldn't understand. The fortuneteller's eyes got big and she paled, looking around for some means of escape from the strange woman and her strange actions.

Then the spell started and Haelo was holding onto her wing, which was a little uncomfortable. Liadan opened her mouth to respond to him, but all that came out was a small squeak. Pain raced through her wings and tears sprung to her eyes.

"O-oh god! What did you do to me?!" Curling forward, Liadan tried to keep still, her breath hitching as she struggled to handle the pain. She had never had much of a tolerance and it had come utterly unexpected.

Lion

Haelo was expecting her to react unpleasantly, a few curse words here, a slap there.  But not in the pitiful way she did.  But it was what it was and in an instant he felt sorry for her for having put her though this.  Maybe they should have picked a different healer but all the same she got healed.  That's what counted most right?

But immediately, Haelo hugged her again like a parent would a crying child, pressing her face to his chest, and patted her hair.  "I'm sorry, don't cry.  Please.  It's only for the moment.  It's okay."  He let her go when Jasmine started to blow out the candles and incense.  "Excuse me, Ms. Jasmine, but how long will the pain last?"

"Oh don't worry about it, sonny.  Little more than a few minutes.  Poor dear.  I suppose she's never had a darisis enchantment before?"   Haelo shook his head.  "Well, I'm sorry to hear that.  But she should be fine in a few days.  Feathers will grow back and everything.  Now here comes the matter of payment."  Jasmine held out her hands expectantly, wiggling her fingers.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The last thing Liadan was expecting in her agony was Haelo to suddenly hug her. She almost snapped at him, but honestly, it felt nice and honestly, she needed the comfort. Reaching out, the seer hugged him back, fingers digging into his back until the pain passed and she was able to sit back up, blushing slightly.

Brushing a strand of her long hair back from her face, Liadan did her best to gather what little dignity she had left, "A little warning would have been nice you know." It was then she noticed the woman holding her hand out and she looked at it, the woman, back at the hand, then at Haelo, "What does she want?"

She assumed the woman wanted payment, but she really didn't have much on her. Just a bit of cheap jewelry. Reaching up, she undid her necklace, "Uh, will this work? I have some bracelets and rings if it's not enough..."

Lion

Haelo nodded to her and sighed.  "Yeah it would have.  Sorry about that, again."  He then gasped when she started to take off her jewelry as a way to pay.  "No, no, no.  Don't do that.  She doesn't cheap, tacky things.  Hold on, wait outside for a few minutes...I think we'll be able to work something out."

Haelo didn't want to hear anything that would remotely sounds like protest and yanked her up before he would allow her to react.  "Go, now.  Me and Jasmine need to talk."  He waited until he didn't see her anymore before turning back to the older woman.  "Excuse my friend.  But she doesn't really have anyway to pay..."

Jasmine put a hand to his mouth and waved him silent.  "SORRY...I don't do credit.  If you don't have any money, then we'll just have to find something else won't we?"  She smiled and sat up on the table, reclining back and grinning suggestively.  "Well, we might as well get this over with, my hunky friend."

"But that's not what--"  Haelo said, surprised and unsure what he should do.  He heard a snickering inside his head.

"I don't have all day.  I've got to be paid one way or another."  She slipped off seeing as he wouldn't approach her and abruptly threw herself at him.

In the room beyond, a scuffle could be heard, rather loudly in fact, two knocks, a thump, then Jasmine screaming loudly and after a few minutes, Haelo dashed out all flushed and breathing hard and appearing all shaky.  He fumbled to readjusted his already torn clothes and was out the door as quickly as he could.  As he peered through the grimy window, he saw her lighting another puff stick, and taking long relaxing drags on it, making him blush even more furiously.  "Liadan, let's go!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Wha-bu-" Liadan gave a few stuttering protests before she was shoved out the door to wait. That was downright surprising, but at least he was taking responsibility for it. And her wings did feel better. She spread them slightly, examining them in one of the rather grungy windows. And then caught sight of her own reflection.

She was a mess! Gasping slightly, Liadan leaned forward, doing her best to try and fix her hair. It was a wild mess from all the flying and falling and crashing she had done. Damn that stupid man! She was going to need a hair brush to get this mess fixed, though she did her best with the knee length mass as she could. And the dark paint she lined her eyes with had started to smear.

Cursing, she started to clean it up a bit with her handkerchief when the noises in the other room startled her and she stared at the door. Just...what...was Haelo doing in there? When the blond angel suddenly burst out, Liadan took a step back, taking in his appearance, "...no! You didn't! With her?"

Hurrying after the blushing man, Liadan couldn't help but be amused at how flustered he was, "Did you really sell your body to get my wings healed?" If he had, that was a little flattering, "Though....you weren't in there long. Were you very good, or very bad?"

Lion

Haelo was glad she'd stayed outside, glad it was only for a few minutes, glad that he got out of there before something worse happened.  It confounded him for a good long time how all that could happen in so short a time.  But he didn't want to think about it, that he'd been conscious during the whole thing.  Maelzedek made him do things like that before, but he usually didn't have much of a recollection of it later on.  Instead, the demon just hid the whole time, laughing and doing nothing about his host.

He was blushing furiously, like bright beet or as if he'd just been burned by the sun.  Liadan dashed after him and he wished he was invisible right now or that he still had his wings so that he could fly away.  He sighed exasperatedly and refused to look at her.  "I didn't sell anything!  That woman attacked me.  All I know is that there was a lot of heavy breathing, grunting, and we broke a lot of things in there.  I didn't stay long enough to check back.  Then I saw she was smoking again and I don't even know what that means!  But let's never speak of this again."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn