Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stranger in a Strange Land (Tag to Crono and OPEN)

Started by Anonymous, June 15, 2010, 09:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Essyrn...kind of sucked.

Nico coughed up sand for the twelfth time in five minutes and hitched her burnoose higher over her nose, squinting in the harsh desert air. The marketplace of the sandstone city was bustling with activity and noise, lending to the pounding headache that had started up behind her eyes.

One of Father's contacts had met her in the back alley of an antiques shop just an hour ago, slipping her a crumpled leather folio that she had tucked into her long, loose jacket. The transfer itself had gone smoothly--it was the part where she was followed afterwards that meant everything had gone to pot.

Sweat trickled down the nape of her neck, tension knotting her stomach. She ducked behind a clothes stand as a group of uniformed mercenaries stalked past, their gazes watchful.

Shite. She'd thought she'd had more time than this. She needed to find somewhere to lay low, and fast, before the mercenaries' employer found her and expressed his extreme, violent displeasure.

Anonymous

Dargas floated through the city of sand in a sea of music. The sound of his flute reverberated back at him as the notes bounced off the mudstone walls of the buildings. It was a wondrous sound and one that he was well known for. Those that passed him felt their minds ease as the music washed over them and passersby were left refreshed when he was gone.

However, not everybody enjoyed his music, as evidenced by the group of unpleasant and angry looking people walking straight towards him. Dargas lowered his flute as the group stopped in front of him. This was going to go okay, right? These people were just stopping to compliment him on his music, right? "You." The lead person said. "We're looking for a certain someone, 'bout yay high," He held out his hand about around the flutist's chin. "black hair and is about as curvy as a tree branch. You seen her?" Dargas shook his head.

And got a punch in the face for his troubles.

"We don't take kindly to liars. Now tell us where she is and we won't hurt you as much." Dargas' thoughts raced as he scrambled up off the ground. They obviously weren't going to believe that he couldn't help them, so there was only one thing he could do. He raised his flute to his lips.

Time to get the hell out of here.

The song started slowly as his magic connected the notes to the wind and the sand. The group of people-who-wished-him-harm had a moment of confusion before their leader decided that the music wasn't answering his question. The questioner realized his mistake the moment the wind started picking up but it was too late to do anything. In seconds, sand was flying everywhere and obscuring everybody's vision.

Except for Dargas, that is. He kept his song going to make sure a path stayed clear for him to escape. It wouldn't help him much if the sand cloud hindered him as well. He kept playing until he was a few yards away from the group before stopping his song to go into a dead sprint. He needed a hiding place quick before his assumed pursuers saw him.

His eyes passed over a few stands, trying to find one that would give suitable cover for a while before landing on a clothes stand. Ah ha! Once the garments stopped flapping in the wind, they would be perfect to hide behind. He ducked behind it and almost ran smack into somebody. "Ah!" He stumbled back a few paces before laying eyes on his hiding-mate.

Wait. His eyes widened as he realized who he had run into. "You're that...!" He clamped his hands over his mouth. Hopefully she wouldn't react violently.

Anonymous

Nico stared. The strange Essyrni man with his hands clapped over his mouth stared back.

She sighed. "You're having trouble with them, too?" The Serenian girl hitched her thumb over her shoulder, indicating the direction the mercenaries had gone. It was a strangely casual gesture for a conversation held in whispers, crouched behind a women's' dress and underthings stall.

The Essyrni man didn't look like a rival agent, or an employee of the mercenaries, but appearances were deceiving. Nico's gaze traveled from the flute the newcomer carried to the startling moss-green of his eyes.

She could have sworn she'd heard flute music before the miniature sandstorm had hit.

Nico smiled as charmingly and disarmingly as humanly possible. "Nice to meet you! Name's Nichola, but people call me Nico. Don't you mind me, darling. Me an' the person who pays all those men with weapons out there had a pretty bad break-up. Lovelorn woes, an' all that trash."

Technically it had been a bad break-up, in that she'd infiltrated the gang and made off with all their confidential papers and deposits.

And possibly had set the leader's house on fire on the way out.

Her smile widened. "Know a place I could lay low for a couple of day?"

Anonymous

Dargas just stared at her. Anybody men like those had business with, he didn't really want to mess with. Who knew what somebody like that would do? He could probably get away, if he had enough time, but that was the kicker. Time. So he continued to stare at her.

That was, until she said why she was running from them. He'd heard some stories about it before. Girl is setup with guy she doesn't like so she runs off. Guy isn't too pleased so he hires people to bring her back. It is the start of an epic quest upon which the very future of the world is as stake. So maybe it wasn't going to be as epic as a few stories he'd heard but hey, maybe.

"Uh. Yeah. Well." Did he really want to let this woman stay with him? His head may be in the clouds sometimes but he wasn't that stupid. Clearly she was dangerous to have so many mercenaries after her. "I know there's a tavern near the...center of...." Near the center of town. Right past the mercenaries. He sighed.

"Okay, I think you could stay with me for a night or two." Dargas reeeeeally didn't want to do this but he couldn't see any thing else he could do in this situation. "Follow me." He started off towards his house before stopping for a moment. "I'm Dargas by the way. Please forgive me if I'm a little suspicious of you."

The way wasn't complicated or too hard but taking the back routes meant it would take longer than normal. However, they would be able to keep clear of the mercenaries this way. Sometimes it was better to take your time with something. At the very least, it never hurt to be cautious.

The house was near the edge of town. Though some would say it was 'run down' or 'in a sorry state,' it was his home and he loved it. "I'll admit, it may not be much, but it's my home." He pushed open the door and called over his shoulder as he headed inside. "Hope you like it."