Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Within the Sands

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2010, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(Really didn't know which thread I could get into so I just decided to make my own XD)

Adalade was oblivious to the whispers she heard, they were common enough that she didn't need to listen to know what was said. Instead, she busied herself with packing up her things...not that she had much anyway. Just a small cotton pack filled with supplies and her other clothes, her money purse was in her hand at the moment.

She was counting how much she had earned this time, less than the tribe before. It's not like she had an old routine and overused songs. She improvised off the village or town's own musicians, weaving songs together and interpreted those words into dance. Lately it seemed like they weren't as huge as a hit as before.

Sighing, the girl placed her money purse back in her pack and straightened out her dancer's wear. This outfit was new, and she loved it.

The silken top was a deep purple that was almost black with gold trimming. The expensive silk made a gold choker around her neck and left her shoulders bare. A dark see-through material started from her neck and stopped before her chest in a "V", there it met more gold silk that bordered the solid material covering her. Gold encircled her ribs as fair skin was revealed all the way down to her waist. A golden emblem was sewn onto the mesh.

A crimson bow lay above her tail as the rest of the silken fabric was the beginning of her red harem pants, the red was also see-through and bunched up at her ankles to give them the puffed out look. She wore dark purple shorts underneath the pants to keep from giving anyone an extra show.

She also didn't go out on accessories like many did: simple golden hoops in her ears, more of the dark mesh-material going from her elbows to her wrists (also edged in gold), a few golden bangles on the wrist to create a familiar "clank" when she spun around, and a few on the upper arm was it. Though the whole thing had cost her over half of her money purse.

"Oh well," she muttered as she slung the pack over her shoulder and headed back out for the sea of sand, "Maybe the next village will have more respect for a poor desert wolf."

Anonymous

He missed his horses.

Sure, he could have taken the horses into the desert, but they required more feeding, more water, and they would end up costing a lot more money than just the camels. Oh the camels were good creatures, but always a little more belligerent than horses were. Camels had that tired groan that just made him feel like he was pushing them too hard, but he never did. He always made sure his camels were well taken care of. So he had to leave his horses out of the desert, and take his camels into it. They seemed to love the desert more than the small place in the Sehra grasslands that he left them.

Still, he missed the horses.

Essyrn was a great place for him to go though, because of the money he could make. Things that were commonplace where he travelled fetched a very fair price down here. It was worth the trip, and then he could take things that were commonplace down here back up to Serendipity and Adela. It was the perfect little arrangement he had going. The camels weren't too impressed of course, because of...well...they always thought they would have a reprieve, taking an empty wagon back...but that was not the case. Sure, he gave them a two day rest and all, made sure they were quite watered and happy before he hooked them back up to the wagon.

The man in question, the fellow who was driving the wagon through the streets of Essyrn, was a chestnut brown haired young man. He was a man who could be called...normal...medium...he didn't look like he was completely out of the ordinary. He could have passed for just an ordinary person really. He had good posture though, a kind looking face with soft green eyes. He even had a cheery smile, one where just the right amount of teeth showed.

Right now he was looking at a very...interesting sight at the front gates to the great walled city of Essyrn. He wasn't sure what she was, but...well he wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating toast. Or something like that. He was sure that he could remember the expression later. He pulled on the reigns slightly slow his progress as he came up to beside the woman. "You look like you could use a bit of good luck Miss, I'm headed north, please tell me the Gods have blessed us both and sent you on the same path." The man asked the strange dancer with a pleasant smile upon his lips.

Anonymous

Adalade did not return the man's smile, "The gods do not make my path, I do. And I would not travel with anyone who hasn't the decency to introduce themselves before asking for my company."

She couldn't believe this, a stranger just decides that he's going to try and impose his company on her. Well, there was always a first for everything. He didn't even look native to the desert, maybe things were different where he came from.

Anonymous

Woah, that had been apparently the wrong thing to say, wasn't it? He thought he was being smooth and charming, apparently he had been a little...uh...well, apparently he had been anything but. He didn't expect a reaction like this though. "I meant no offence to you, I absolutely apologize for such rude behaviour." Okay, he could rectify this, yeah, he could fix this little hiccup. Carefully placing the reigns in front of him through a small loop to stop them from falling away and making him have to retrieve them while the camels were still walking.

He stood up and bowed to her, just as the true gentleman that he was. "I am Narak, Narak Inderemere. Please excuse my most undesirable action." Narak seemed genuinely apologetic to her. He really hadn't meant to offend her either, he thought he was just going to ah...be charming and offer her a lift.

Things could have gone a lot better, now couldn't they?

Anonymous

She glanced at the man warily. The feel of her daggers against her waist, hidden well underneath the crimson bow, made her feel slightly more comfortable, "Forgiven, I'm afraid that today has not been the best for me. You may call me Adalade if you wish."

The wolf smiled slightly as one of his camels bumped his head into the crook of her arm, she ran one hand over the coarse fur. "Where is it that your headed to exactly?" Maybe she could still get a ride, sure a wolf had endurance but she was in no mood to go traipsing around the dunes right now in the boiling sun.

Anonymous

Whew.

He managed to do alright there didn't he? Narak felt a whole lot better when she visibly appeared to relax. He almost thought that he had done something completely wrong and ruined a chance at what could be a nice friendship, maybe even a little bit of fun. Camels were nice enough creatures, but they didn't hold a conversation very well. He was sure if they could speak, it would be a lot of complaining.

"Myself? North eventually. I have to eventually get these to Ketra and Arca, but..." He chuckled to himself and shook his head. "I have the time, I can take a long route if that's the way you're heading." Narak told her as he picked up the reigns and gave them a small pull to stop the camels. He took a seat on the far end of the bench on the wagon and patted it. "I swear that I am a regular gentleman, and if you don't believe me, you can hold onto my sword the entire time." Narak's expression faltered for a moment as he thought about what he just said. "I didn't meant that any other way either, I use a rapier for fighting, and if it would calm your mind, you can have it on your side of the wagon." Okay, the heat was starting to get to him. He should have really thought about what he said, usually he did, but...uh...okay, he'd have to keep his head through all of this.

Anonymous

Adalade could see that he wasn't too comfortable with the thought of handing over his rapier, it showed more in his forest green eyes than the rest of his face. "You can keep it, I'm perfectly capable of defending myself should you try anything," she stated nonchalantly as she climbed in next to him.

"I also am not sure of where I'm headed next, I guess I'll try the next town," she sighed, with the way things were now if she didn't have bad luck then she wouldn't have any luck at all. She was begining to think that her time as a dancer had come to an end.

Anonymous

He was perfectly comfortable with the idea of giving over his rapier to her. However, he hadn't really been keen on the idea of having used what sounded like a sexual innuendo of some kind on her. He had already failed once with one compliment and perhaps flirtatious comment, he really didn't want to use any others. They apparently didn't work out very well with the girl. He just had to be..a gentleman. "That sounds like a plan to me." He would however, keep the rapier in the back, it had been stashed behind him, but she was in his spot so...well this worked out for the best.

"Next town? Well, there's a small oasis village, no more than two days from here. I can take you there if you wish." Really though...there wasn't too much out in the desert of Moraki. Essyrn was the place to be in the desert...but there were some villages that sprung up here and there. An oasis didn't do much of course out here, none were good enough to find an oasis as great as Essyrn had been founded around.

Still, he knew a few places!

Anonymous

"If it's not too out of your way, then yes," she didn't sound concerned at all about where he had to go, and she wasn't. Adalade pulled off her pack and set it down before her, probably needed another one soon. Hers had seen many years before her when it was used by her father.

She dug around through everything till she found a red scarf, she had to color coordinate, and pulled out the thin piece of leather that held up her hair. What to think about this Narak, he seemed nice...but she had learned before that kindness was often just a rouse. Two days with this stranger, she mentally kicked herself for the corner she had backed herself into as she wrapped the scarf around her hair.

Anonymous

"It would be a pleasure and an honour." He told her simply, smiling at her before taking the reigns up and giving them a light jostle, getting the camels to start moving again. Well, now things were getting better weren't they? Despite a little miscommunication earlier, he had managed to sway things back into his favour. He was glad to know that he could still defuse situations. Mostly with guards, but an angry woman was probably twice as dangerous in his opinion.

"So, as you can see, I'm a merchant from the north. If you don't mind me asking...what is your occupation?" He asked her as he turned his head to look at her, smiling warmly. "I believe that you are...I'm not really sure actually. It certainly is a rather...festive looking outfit." If they were in the north he'd...suggest something a little less uh...savoury. But down here she could be anything really!

Anonymous

A merchant? Well he didn't seem too dangerous, she would trust him...for now. Tying the leather cord securely around one of the pack's straps she replied with, "I'm an entertainer." With a slight blush she remebered that there were several ways to entertain someone, her clothes weren't too suggestive of the innocent ones.

"I mean I'm a dancer," she quickly put in while trying to sound unflustered, "I sing as well. I don't have any set routines, I enjoy improvising more." Adalade couldn't really say anything else, she was too embarresed. She couldn't even meet his eyes, what a way to try and appear unfaze-able.

Anonymous

Ooo, an entertainer?

The clothes definitely said entertainer.

She however, corrected herself, just as he had corrected himself with his rather...incorrect statement about weaponry. However, things were apparently messing up for the both of them. He could only chuckle slightly as he turned his attention forward, not wanting to embarrass the poor girl any more than she had done so already. She had been kind enough to overlook his mistake after all, why not repay her the kindness?

"Oh, a dancer and a singer, a double threat aren't you? Triple if you include being such a beautiful woman." Narak smiled pleasantly as he turned his attention to look at her, winking once at her. "Ahem. You must not make a lot of money down here in Essyrn...have you thought about going north? You might be a little colder up there, but you'd probably earn a lot more than dancing for tribes and Essyrn." After all, her design wasn't that uncommon here...but to a foreign nation, it would be a whole lot more. He knew that he didn't mind seeing a woman dressed like this...he even felt like giving her gold, as if he were guilty just looking at her.

Anonymous

She sighed in relief as he mentioned nothing about her earlier fumble, but wanted to glare at him for his flattery. He didn't mean it, they never did. "I'm not sure, I've thought of it...people aren't near as accepting in the north though," she replied as calmly as she could.

Anonymous

"What are you talking about? Adela might be a little wary here and there, and for mages Connlaoth is a death trap, but Serendipity is a haven for the different. I know quite a few strange creatures in Serendipity, much stranger than you Adalade." He told her with a firm nod. She was just a beautiful girl in somewhat skimpy clothes. As if they wouldn't accept her up there! "Heh, if you had the head for it, you could always go up there and train a little troupe of women! You could call yourselves the Dancing Desert Delights. Hey...that's not bad at all..." Narak mused with an impish expression on his face. A man could make a lot of money of a group of exotic dancing women from Essyrn.

Though, he wouldn't particularly care for the idea of people thinking him sleazy and lecherous.

Anonymous

But that was exactly what Adalade thought. Her violet eyes hardened and her voice took on an edge to it, "What kind of woman do you think I am Mr. Indermere? I do not dance for a man's delight, I dance because it's something I love and even my dances are appropriate enough for children. I will not create a troupe because men would think it was a group of whores rather than a tribute to music and the art of dance."

Her head snapped back to the desert before them, staring at that ridiculous grin for another moment and she would have back-handed him! "At least down here everyone knows differently."

Anonymous

He blinked at her sudden reaction. That...she was REALLY touchy wasn't she? Alright, he had gotten out of one little jam with her before...now he just had to get out of this jam now wouldn't he? Think think think. How to ah...how to reconcile this.

"I apologize, I'm a business man. My mind goes to business. I certainly did not mean to imply that your craft was not anything but a noble and upstanding tradition Adalade. However, if you wanted to truly give tribute to music, and to the art of dance...would it not be wise to spread it to others? Would you not want others to be able to enjoy and express the very core of human emotion with others, instead of keeping it to yourself. Music after all, can rarely be captured, it is always set free for all those near to hear." He tried to point out, hoping he didn't anger her too much.

"As for the money, it would cover expenses, after all, your dances may be unique, something that a person cannot copy without your assistance...if you die because of malnutrition, or say...got lost in the desert...your art would be lost forever...and that would be a shame for the cultured world." He wasn't even laying it on that thick! He really knew the importance of music, of song and dance, literature and even battle strategy. If a good dance died, the world lost a lot more than a person, it lost an expression of emotion.

Anonymous

The wolf sighed, "I'd sooner die from the incompetence of one human being rather than malnutrition. And I know these deserts fairly well if I do say so." She watched some of the sand blow past her, her mind stuck on his words like a fly in sweet honey. Passing on her art was her mother's biggest dream...but Adalade didn't have an affiliation for people like her mother.

"I'll think about it..." she muttered.

Anonymous

"Not if you were planning on heading to the nearest town on foot." Narak was prudent to keep that particular comment o his head. He really didn't need her snapping at him, and he honestly did not want to anger her anymore. She was just being snippish at him, and it made him feel a little...snippy in return. He wasn't really sure. He just...knew it would be better to keep his comments to himself, and be nice, a gentleman, just as he said he would be.

"It would be nice if you did." Narak told her in earnest. "I would hate to know that a possibly great dance left the world with no one to let others experience it. Then again, I haven't even seen you dance yet. Here I am already trying to encourage you. It must be a great dance if can affect me so."

Anonymous

She gave him something that was inbetween a smirk and indifference, "If you decided to stay at the next village then maybe I'll let you see one for free. After all, you were kind enough to give me a ride all the way through the desert. Who knows, maybe your opinion will change."

She didn't mean it in earnest, as a business man he probably needed to be on his way and didn't have time to dally. Yet...the thought that he actually seemed to care and seemed to be honestly interested made her feel as though she could do better than these small little communities. It was nice that someone showed interest.

Anonymous

"I don't think a girl in an outfit so laced with gold like yourself could dance badly." He told her with a chuckle. She did after all, have a lot of gold lacing and what not, he knew how expensive that could actually be, all things considered. He was a tailor after all, to some degree, he looked down at his own plain clothes. Just a simple pair of shoes, a pair of light beige pants with open cuffs and a slight billow to let the heat out, and a tunic with two wooden toggles at the front near the neck, which were most certainly not tied up right now. It was way too hot to even think of doing that.

"But, if I'm not entitled to a dance tonight while we make camp, then I would gladly stay a hundred years in such a village." He did have a silver tongue, that much was obvious, and he wasn't trying to be offensive...though he wouldn't deny he was a little bit of a flirt. How could he not be, the girl sitting beside him was dressed so...he didn't want to use the word erotic for it...it was sensual. Yes, that was a much better word for it. It was stirring, for the mind and the body. Ahem. Nothing bad, no never.