Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Within the Sands

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2010, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"It's cost me half a lifetime just to get this costume, and I finally had it custom made. Maybe I could do go for a couple minutes of practice tonight, see how the fabric works with my movements," she said toying with one of the bangles around her wrist. She was trying hard not to blush. Never had she met a man with such a fluid tongue.

Anonymous

"It wouldn't hurt now would it? After all, it would be terrible if such an expensive sounding garment were to rip or tear during one of your dances." She would not doubt be very embarrassed if her top ripped in half in front of an entire village. No doubt she'd be less mortified if it were just him, and he covered his eyes and looked away. That would probably be a little better...though, funny how she met him. A tailor and a merchant. There was definitely some luck in the air.

"If anything should happen, I am sure I can repair your garments however...though, I do believe that bag of yours has seen some better days." Narak commented as he looked to her travelling back, clicking his tongue as he shook his head. "I can repair it, but honestly I believe you should just replace it."

Anonymous

Adalade knew the garment wouldn't rip, her mother had a costume made of the same material, it was more durable than it looked. It was the mesh she wasn't sure about, she had never tried it before, but it made her costume more unique and gave her less the risk of overheating while in the middle of a performance.

She glanced down at her bag and gave a sad smile, "This bag has seen it all, from Serendipity to Connlaoth. My father was quite the traveler, after he met my mother he dumped out all of his belongings and put her silks and jewlery in here and carried it for her. He just rolled his clothes up in his bedroll. When I was born they put my belongings in here, I've had it ever since I was little."

Anonymous

If she was sure about it, then he just hoped she was right.

Really, nothing like giving the people a little more show than you desired to make you never live it down.

He smiled a she looked down the patchwork bag. It looked like it was on it's last legs...however, Narak was a thinker, and his mind was already working on it. "Sounds like my wagon. It's been everywhere, been to the smallest villages to the largest cities. Been through so many axles and wheels too." He chuckled and shook his head. The wagon had been very good to him, and he had been very good to it. He made sure not to let the thing get rotten and to make sure things didn't rust or fall apart on him. One had to be careful with the nails and the screws. Narak carefully looked at the bag again, reaching out and gingerly touching it, as if he were trying to carefully touch a newborn animal without startling or hurt it.

"I think...if you would allow me...I can save it. I can put a bag on the inside, sew it in there. The old bag will be on the outside, but on the inside, it will just have a new stomach...so to speak." He was actually rather proud of the idea. Her bag would still be her bag, but it would be able to survive a couple more generations.

Anonymous

She gave him a genuine smile, "Would you? I really would really appreciate it. I know it doesn't look like much but this bag is more precious to me than this costume, I'd be willing to pay any price you should ask for it...almost any."

Anonymous

Such a thing would be bad to say to anyone who wasn't a gentleman. Narak of course, was a gentleman. He didn't really want to take advantage of her anyway, it would be wrong after all. She was a little bit snippy at times, but she was overall a really nice person, she had her own way to her...and he could see that travelling, and to a great extent, dancing was very precious to her. "I would never ask for anything in return that I offer freely. Any price tag attached will be up front, that I always promise. Tonight after camp has been set up, I will make your bag as good as new. Though, you'll have to empty it, I wouldn't want to view anything private of yours." Narak told her impishly with a small teasing grin.

Anonymous

A huge grin split her face, "Thank you, and I feared it soon would be lost to me. Though it would be wrong of me not to do something in return. I think a fair exchange would be a dance or two while you mend it."

Anonymous

Finally he was on the right track. He wasn't that happy with the idea of having been so...uncouth before, and having upset her so much. However, he was now able to bring a smile upon her face...no, she was grinning, which was much better. "Well if you insist Adalade, one dance would surely do." He told her pleasantly. Now he wished that night would fall quicker. The camels were already on the right path, and he knew the perfect spot really to stop...if they kept this pace up, they'd find it no more than a few minutes before the sun fully disappeared beyond the horizon.

Anonymous

"That and when we reach the village you get to see a full performance for free," she held her head high and dared him to fight her on it. Feeling a bit childish, she changed the subject, her cheerful demeanor still remained, "So where are you from exactly, if you don't mind my asking?"

Anonymous

"Oh, I suppose that's true isn't it?" He hadn't forgotten about the performance she offered to let him see at the village, and he wondered how that was going to work out. Did people pay her when she got there and then they set up a place for her to dance for all those who paid...or did she leave a hat out? He was sure that she had some way of ensuring that everyone who watched at least contributed. "Serendipity...from the trading port of Cerenis in Whitesands, on the coast." Narak spoke proudly, his posture (If it could improve, he was not one to slouch) became a little more pronounce, puffing his chest out some. "My father is also quite the trader, and I'm told we share the same silver tongue." Of course, Narak wasn't really allowed to speak about who his father was. As a bastard son, it would perhaps be a little...devastating for both his father, and his father's wife, who was most certainly not his mother.

It was best to just not to reveal that sort of thing. However, she didn't seem like the kind who would pry after all. "And you? You mentioned both Serendipity and Connlaoth...and yet you seem very much like a native to Essyrn." He tried to figure it out, but it was really quite difficult.

Anonymous

"I've never seen the coast, I've heard it's beautiful though," her gaze wandered, trying to transform the ocean of sand into actual water, her canine sense of smell trying to pick up the salt that was supposed to hang heavy on the air. Her mother had often described it for her.

"I was born right here in the desert, right in the middle of it actually. My parents were trying to go back to Serendipity to see her parents when my mother started going into labor. I've spent most of my life here, exempting a few years spent on the Serha plains. It might not look it, I know," she chuckled.

"My mother was a pure blood Serenian and from a family with extrodinary amounts of fey blood, thus," she indicated her light skin and her facial features, "I gained her fair skin, figure, and even hair color. My father, though, gave me my wolf form and violet eyes. I'm assuming he was from here since he knew the desert better than the back of his hand."

Anonymous

"On the right day, or night, it can be a sight to behold." He agreed with her, nodding and smiling at just the thought. He had seen the ocean on some nights when things were so clear, and so calm that you could see for leagues, and you could just gaze over the waters on a full moon and feel at utter peace.

She did look more like she belonged a bit more north than the people from Essyrn. They had darker skin, and often had different features. He should have guessed as much. He was told he got more human, from his birth mother, than from his father. He did however, share certain traits with the man he called father. The hair for example...the height...the head for numbers and trading...those sorts of things.

He didn't know she was a full on shifter, he had heard of a few people with animal parts to them, even a merchant captain he had met in Cerenis had animal ears, tail, and that sort of thing. She however, must have been a full shifter then. "Wolf form...that must be something during the day. Does it only happen during a full moon, or are you able to control it? I...apologize if that is a personal question." He should have been a little more respectful with his question, but he hoped it was not something she would be upset with him about.

Anonymous

Adalade erupted into peals of laughter, "Shifting durning full moons is only a curse for werewolves, and I would never be able to get anything done if I was stuck as a wolf all day." She took a few moments for breath, looks like she had some clearing up to do.

"The great thing about being able to shift is that you can change forms whenever you please, there are no restrictions. And so nothing limiting to a one animal group; like a full moon for wolves. Another nice thing is that I have a wolf's hearing and sense of smell, though sometimes that can be more of a curse. The only thing I've never been able to do is make my ears and tail disappear, guess those are a package deal."

Anonymous

He wasn't an expert on it, no one could really blame him could they? Her laughter at least wasn't very mocking, it seemed more like she was just...amused by his particular questions. That was really good actually, all things considered! She wasn't insulted, she was just amused. He actually felt quite a lot better about it now. It was a load off, that was for sure.

"They don't look bad, if that's any consolation Adalade." He told her with a smile. "I hope that I don't smell bad though, I did take a bath before I left my inn." Water was a commodity here, so he had paid for it...now he was glad he did. He really didn't want to have her think he was some slob that just smelled terrible. "I can always start wearing perfume if it gets too bad though."

Anonymous

"Thank you, I would hope they don't because I'm stuck with them for the rest of my life. Don't worry, you smell just like soap," she said honestly. It had been so long since she had conversed with anyone like this. Her mind warned her about getting close to people, but for once she drowned it out with the sounds of the night. They must have been talking for a bit because the sun had completely disappeared beneath the horizon.

Anonymous

"Well, if you can't get rid of them, make them look stellar, always a good motto." He grinned, glad that he hadn't really offended her or anything like that. He noticed that it had become darker and darker, and couldn't help but think...they had missed the spot he wanted to set up camp. However, the camels had been going a bit slower, and with another grace of luck, were just coming up to the site. He directed them off the path and onto the desert sand, which for the most part was flat here. He had to direct them around a dune however, but anyone on the road wouldn't see them behind it. It was sheltered somewhat because of the surrounding dunes, and would serve an excellent spot to set up camp. It always had in the past.

Once there, he hopped off the wagon and unhooked the animals. They knew not to wander. He set up a portable trough for the camels and filled it with a bit of water before getting together a small site for a camp fire. He was definitely prepared for the entire trip it seemed. Once the fire was up and running, he retrieved his sewing kit and a leather bag, remembering to keep his promise about reinforcing her beloved bag. Though, he did get out some food things so they could also have a meal. Within twenty minutes, he had some shishkebabs over the fire, and a couple of water skins out for them, and even had a blanket for them set up to sit upon, though...he remembered she wanted to practice her dancing while he fixed her bag.

"If you empty your bag out, I can start the repairs on it, and then you can practise your dancing." He told Adalade with a gentle smile. The fire light was enough for him, hell, he'd sewn up a pair of trousers in the darkness of night! Did a damn fine job on it too.

Anonymous

Nodding, the girl emptied her pack and set all her belongings close to the wagon. Heading back toward the fire, she handed off the bag to him and picked up a water skin. After taking a few quick swallows, she went to the other side of the fire. "If my singing distracts you don't heistate to tell me," she commented before humming a few notes.

Within a few minutes her voice was cleared out and her body was properly stretched, even if she wasn't going to be going all out it was still important to keep up the practice of stretching. One torn muscle could be the end of a dancer's career.

First she started off with notes, a tune common in Essyrn. Her movements even started off slow, swaying with her simple overture, then picking up as the tune disolved into words. There was no story behind it, just a melody that came to her head. Her movements held enough finesse to keep it sensual for the elder audience, yet, at the same time, innocent enough for the children who sometimes joined her in a performance.

Anonymous

"I might be too entranced to say anything." He grinned at her before he set himself to the task at hand. The original bag was cotton it appeared, but he could easily affix it to the leather if he were careful. He began to sew, having gotten the thread finally through the needle's eye. That was the only thing that troubled him, and he soon had it done and out of the way. Whew. He tried to pay attention to both things that were happening, though he was able to get a head start as she stretched her muscles, and her voice. Though, he didn't stop himself from getting a few peaks at her while she did so.

When she actually started into the real song and dance, he would only glance down at his work. His hands knew what needed to be sewn, and he was rather good at doing something like this while he looked over his shoulder or was on the run. Yes, running from guards and hiding from dogs made this a cake walk really. He did notice how...interesting her dance was. To most children, it would seem nothing too risque, something that they could even do.

For the adults however, it was no doubt entirely different, and he found himself neglecting the sewing. However, a quick prick of his needle brought him back to earth, and he kept all his cursing and swearing to himself, not daring to interrupt her dancing and singing. He had been right though about something. If she didn't pass on this gift...pass on her dance knowledge, the world would truly be out of something grand.

Anonymous

The new fabric felt great against Adalade's skin, the smooth texture seemed to glide across her skin making her feel more free to move. She didn't even feel hot, warm yes, but the heat that normally plagued her performances was absent. She felt as though she could go on forever.

After awhile, Adalade was beginning to feel the effects of having little money. Her stomach was hurting with intense hunger. So she hit one last note before ending on her knees, head leaned back, and arms outstretched above her head. She could almost touch the sand.

Anonymous

Narak was a lot of things.

He was a master trader, a tailor, a thief, he was a gentleman, a bit of a scholar, and an overall great guy. He had the gift of gab, a charmer, a seductor of sorts, and very good at talking himself out of bad situations. He could wax poetic, he could strategize battle plans and formations, and even was a good dancer. When it was said that he was at a loss for words, that was saying a whole lot.

He had stopped sewing, caught up in the moment of her dance...and when she was done...he seemed to find clapping, having put the bag and sewing equipment down to do so. "I stand by what I said before." Having found his tongue, Narak spoke. "You should share such powerful creations with others so they may go on and teach others." Narak told her as he set aside the stuff on his lap to tend to dinner. Pulling off about a dozen large shishkebabs he set them on a platter and put it down beside him.

"Now, let's have some dinner shall we?" He picked up a shishkebab by the handle and began to eat. Meat and vegetables, though he had made a few with more meat, just in case that was her preference. She was a wolf after all. It made sense to him!