Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Within the Sands

Started by Anonymous, June 21, 2010, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Adalade was flushed when she sat back down, not for the warmth but for his reaction. Not that villagers hadn't appluaded or shouted praise to her, but for some reason this was different, she couldn't fathom why.

Instead of "wolfing" down her food, Adalade went for her water skin again. Water only does so much when your starving though. And soon she found herself on her third shishkebab of the night.

Anonymous

He was really glad that he had decided to offer this young woman a lift. He was one to do so usually of course, but this was perhaps a little more motivated by other things. It wasn't every day you got to offer a life to a woman dressed quite like Adalade was. Narak would admit that he had perhaps been...a bit presumptuous in his first impression of her...he had been completely surprised, and he was not at all minding that.

He continued to eat however, but after his fourth kebab he wiped his hand on a cloth handkerchief, making sure to bring one for her just in case, and went back to sewing. "Good aren't they? Learned how to make them down here...perfect for out here. Handy too...meals right on sticks." Narak chuckled as he picked a water skin up, popping the cork out and taking a drink with one hand. "That really was an amazing performance, even if it was just you practising." He told her absently as he looked up from his sewing to her. She really did have a gift for dance and song, and it was at least good knowing that she was sharing it with people in some way.

Anonymous

"Everytime I tried to make these when I was younger they would burn," she said after finishing her fifth. She found herself flustered once more by his comments, "It was a bit rusty, I mean quite a few of the moves were off. Not that they were planned..." Gods, she had no clue what to say.

Adalade was used to walking through the desert, only staying long enough in one town to perform a few times and restock on supplies before heading back out. There was the occasional fights though, she knew there was at least one village that she wouldn't step foot into again.

"How's the sewing?" she finally managed to ask.

Anonymous

"I thought with such a good nose you'd be able to tell when they were burning." He pointed out, gently teasing her with a small grin. He was just being playful, he meant nothing bad by it of course. "That was what you would call rusty? I think I won't be able to sleep knowing what could await me in the village then." Another little compliment, but it was completely honest too. If she thought that was rusty, then he couldn't imagine what she would look like after practising a few times.

"Good good, almost have the bag completely sewn in there. I'm keeping the stitch lines to existing places on the outer bag, so it doesn't look like there was anything done to it." Narak explained as he pointed to a line of stitches he was working on now to secure the bottom of the bag to the inside. All in all, the bag didn't look that different. Perhaps just a little bit stiffer because of the leather inside, but really it looked like the same old bag.

"Don't be afraid to eat or drink, I have a good amount of supplies, and we can always restock at the village. It has a well, and they are usually quite good about sharing water." He always made sure to plan his route accordingly. Any oasis or village with a well was on his map, and he knew how to cook any local food here that he came across, from lizard to cactus. His route made sure he never starved, and never died of thirst either. He was a very careful man after all.

Anonymous

She rolled her eyes, "Didn't keep them from magically turning into charcoal. And it's not an extreme difference, I just feel like everything could have been more fluid." She pretended not to hear him as she started her sixth shishkebab, "So it appears as though you've traveled through here before."

Anonymous

"I wouldn't worry too much, first kebabs I cooked I actually managed to cook the sticks, everything fell apart and into the fire." He chuckled as he thought about it. He had almost starved that night if he hadn't remembered his emergency supplies. How fun that had been. Not. It didn't matter really though, he had survived.

"Oh yes, I've been here a few times. If you've got the resources and the wagon to bring things down and up, you can make a good profit. People in Essyrn love things from Serendipity, and vice versa. It's quite nice really. I don't mind the travelling anyway...it's what I do." He was a traveller through and through. It didn't hurt that he was also the occasional thief really...he had to travel.

Anonymous

"I guess I could be classified as a traveler, but the furthest I've been is to the plain's border and back. I've never really had a destination, I just keep going until I see another town. Sometimes I enjoy traveling, taking in the sights... but I can't really settle down. So I don't have a choice but to continue on my way," she said finally stuffed.

Idiot, you've let your tongue run off. It's none of his business why you travel or why you can't find a home for yourself. You've gotten too comfortable with him. Before Narak could ask any questions, Adalade stretched and let out a great yawn. "Thank you for the food and repairing my bag. I have a tendency to oversleep so wake me when you get up."

Worried that he would try something while she slept, Adalade shifted. She moved to the other side of the fire and curled up, who needed blankets when you had fur?

Anonymous

"I know that feels Adalade...I don't even have a house. No time for one." He didn't even have time for a family really...he barely saw his actual father....he didn't find that he needed to. His father occasionally left a letter for him in Cerenis for him to read. However, he never found himself needing a house. Sure...his little guild had a place in Ketra, but he didn't spend a lot of his time there. He was always on the move, always travelling, always exploring!

"I won't let you sleep any later than I." He was usually up at dawn, but he would have to be awake a little earlier than that. He would have to get the camels ready, and ensure they were on their way before the sun rose. Early head start, that sort of thing. His bedroll wasn't much, it was made of very light materials so he wouldn't overheat. With a pillow under his head, hands folded over his chest, he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Just as he had planned, he was awake before the sun had come up, but not by much. Mumbling something to himself about the desert, he stood up and stretched. "Adalade! Time to get up! I know it's early, but we have to get on the road before the sun gets up." Already the rays of light were starting to brighten the horizon, and he began to pack things up and hook the camels up to the wagon again.

Anonymous

The wolf cracked one eye open before standing. She gave one great wolf yawn and stretched each of her legs. Shifting, she still looked half asleep. "Anything I can do?" she asked groggily.

Anonymous

Narak smiled as he finished straightening and tightening the reigns on the camels. Perfect. They were all rested and watered, and so they were able to continue on. "Put your stuff back in your backpack and hop on up. After that things should be fine." Narak told her before he started to organize the bedroll, blanket, and platter that he had used yesterday. "I hope you don't mind if we skip a formal breakfast. I've got some dried meat that you can snack on if you're hungry though. It's just..." He stopped folding a blanket to point at the front of the wagon canvas, where they sat. "Just beside my sword, in a black bag." It should be enough for her, then they could stop for lunch and have a small meal before heading out again. They still had a whole day of travelling after all.

Anonymous

She shook her head, "I'm fine for now. I'll eat something later." She took the scarf out from around her hair and shook all the sand free from the silver locks, disadvantage to having long hair in the desert. When she was sure she got it all, she put everything back into her pack. "It looks nice, you did a great job on it," she said after climbing into the wagon, she would probably run a bit later to wake herself up. Adalade was not a morning person.

Anonymous

"I told you I was a good tailor. As if I would lie." He told her with an indignant sniff before breaking out into laughter. "Alright alright, I think we're ready then." He did one last check around the place before he hopped up onto the wagon beside Adalade, grabbing the reigns and giving it a small gesture to force them forward. He directed them back onto the road, and within a few minutes they were back at it once more, on the road, with the sun now rising over the horizon.

Anonymous

Adalade gave a tired grin, "No need to get touchy now. When will we reach the village?"

Anonymous

She certainly looked tired didn't she? He was used to waking up this early, getting very little rest and all that sort thing. Oh yes, it was very typical of him to be so active, he had to be after all. Profits waited for no person. "Tomorrow morning, if we get up early enough we'll get there just as the sun rises." Narak told her as he leaned back on the beck, his back against the bench back. At this point, it was just about making sure the camels didn't travel off the road...other than that...it was just waiting and lounging.

Anonymous

Adalade yawned again, "That's good. Gods, how can you stand being up before the sun rises? I could go back to sleep."

Anonymous

"You get used to it after years and years of the same old thing. I just tell myself that I have somewhere to be, that I have something I need to do, and then I feel more awake." Narak shrugged and smiled. He was a light sleeper as well, being an orphan and a thief made you such ways. "If you want to go back to sleep you can. There might be a little bit of room in the back..." With the reigns in one hand he pulled the canvas back, revealing all the sacks and boxes in the back of the wagon. However, he started pulling a few things from the front onto the bench. "There, if you want you can lay down right against the front of the wagon bed here...just use my bedroll as a pillow."

Anonymous

Adalade shook her head, "No, I'll be fine. As long as you keep me talking until the sun rises."

Anonymous

He blinked a few times as he looked over to her. Maybe she REALLY was tired. "It's already up...you sure you don't want to go back to sleep?" He asked her as he turned his attention to the sun for just a second, squinting. Oh yes, the sun was up. It was just over the horizon now, and would now soon be high in the sky. What joy. He never looked forward to that, at least, not in the desert, not when the sky had no clouds to cover it and stop it from being so...bright.

Anonymous

Adalade blinked a few times before realizing that her comment had been for naught, "Yeah, like I said, if you keep me talking I'll be fine. So you can ask away or tell me something interesting."

Anonymous

"Tell you something interesting...hmm..." He didn't want to pry into her life, last night he noticed that after she told him about being a traveller she suddenly became tired and went right to bed. It was best not to talk about that then. He could always tell her a little story. "There was a boy once...a long time ago. Nice little kid...tossed out into an orphanage by his parents who were afraid of people knowing who they were. Just a little baby left on the steps. He didn't like the place, not one bit either...he hated it actually. When he was old enough, he went to the streets." It was a strange little tale of course, fact or fiction? It was up to the listener to decide really.

"He learned about thieves and merchants...their struggle...and he became a thief. He loved the adventure and the excitement but...he saw how it did hurt people. After all, it wasn't a victimless crime. So he tried something else. Be a merchant, and a thief! It was a perfect idea...thieves wouldn't touch him because he was a thief like them...and merchants would not suspect him because he was one of them." Narak gave a small laugh. "Little did the boy know, his father was a powerful merchant, a man who built an empire on being a merchant. When he discovered...he tried to become better, because his father was so much more than him. He even got to meet his father, who apologized profusely to him. The boy forgive his father of course, but understood they could be nothing more than friends, than two merchants who occasionally dealt with each other. A heavy heart and a burden most great, the boy left, packing up his carts and wagons to make a name for himself."