Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Knock Knock, Let Me In

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2011, 02:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The day was hot, but not unusually so, and the only thing really burning in Essyrn was Aziz's patience. He'd been wanting to go into the city and purchase some food, good food, so he wouldn't have to survive on smoked lizard and dates for the entire month. But there was a problem, and that was the fact he couldn't get into the city. It wasn't that there was anything wrong with the city of course, and the city gates were wide open, it was just that Aziz couldn't pass through. At least not yet. He had to be invited.

But so far, the guards on duty were more amused than troubled by his plight, and they knew well enough what the reason was. Misfortune had struck around him (and occasionally, him directly) enough that word was getting around that he was cursed. They didn't know the half of it, and Aziz was not about to swallow his pride and explain why. To do so was unthinkable! ...and also meant that no one knew to invite him inside the city walls, and he couldn't ask. He didn't know if it was an impossible course of action or not, only that he didn't want to try. His family lineage could be traced back to princes, damn it (or at least, he'd been told- it stretched so far back and beyond the reaches of the desert that he honestly didn't know if it was even true), he was not about to beg some random commoner for assistance.

And so, he just stood there, in his black pants, sandals, red tunic, and ornately decorated black and gold vest, just baking in the desert heat. It felt as though he was roasting, and his black hair was doing nothing but absorb the sun's heat and burn the top of his head. But still he stood there, on the side of the path leading to the city's open gates, arms crossed across his chest and a look of impatience about him. He was also suffering not one indignity, but two: even if the guards were off duty and giving him all the time he needed, he would not be able to simply blast his way inside through the city wall. Even if he made a hole, he would still need to be invited through to the other side. Otherwise it would be as if the wall was still standing.

Accursed djinn...if I ever find a way to remove these tedious curses, I shall leave this gods-forsaken place and post a bounty for her wicked little head...

Anonymous

"Why aren't you going inside?"

The voice was crystal clear and sounded girly and the smile was obvious because it was both on her face and in her voice. She wagged her lethal looking tail a few times before she shuffled from behind the man with her empty basket, an attempt to look for vegetation was a failed one - made obvious by the basket - but at least she tried.

"You can come with me, if you've no place to stay. You seem down on your luck."

Once Jaiha stood in front of the man it was obvious she was more than just a girl. The way she walked was awkward and a little slow due to her legs which were just awkward looking. Scaley, they had a golden sheen but were obvious a shade of beige with some hints of red. She was dressed in few clothing a simple cloth to hide her breasts and a loin cloth to hide her other things.

She may have looked like a beast but she that didn't mean she wanted people oogling her goodies. At least her face was cute, childish even, large eyes, her hair swept up and stood at odd angles before falling off to the side. The only thing strange on her face was her overly large ears which ended in a point and were also covered with the same golden beige scales.

"Mister?"

Anonymous

What he wanted to say was 'because some desert harlot cursed me,' but he knew he woudln't be able to. She no doubt included that particular curse just to prevent him from speaking out about her horrible little tricks. Instead, he had to give the best explanation he could, given the circumstances...and his pride.

"Because I can't. No one inside has seen fit to invite me yet," he explained, sounding very much like a child denied a much-coveted toy. And like such a child, his situation was also the result of improper behavior. And it was probably going to get worse before it got any better, especially now...

"You can come with me, if you've no place to stay. You seem down on your luck."

"I have a place to stay, my business in town is purely that, and I'll have you know my luck has never been better!" Aziz responded, perhaps more defensively than necessary. He rounded on his heel to properly inform this mystery woman of just how amazing his luck really was (by lying through his teeth, naturally), when he got himself into an even bigger mess. The funny thing about being cursed to only say respectful things about people was that it also forced him to do so anytime he attempted to say something disrespectful. Which he certainly tried to.

"Heavens above, what-"

As if by magic, which made perfect sense given it was the curse to blame, his tone shifted from one of plain shock to a more amicable one. The surprised expression on his face, however, did not change much. It only softened to the point that he could sound at least halfway convincing while being forced to say something against his will.

"-a beautiful pair of eyes you have."

That is not what I wanted to say! Qismah, may you meet a horrible end! He at least had the presence of mind to quickly look away, however. For two reasons. First, while he had to admit he could have found the girl appealing to look at, that would only be if there was some way to get rid of the more...lizard-like additions to an otherwise normal looking figure, and honestly he felt more than prepared to admit that they completely ruined the appeal. He would have even done so, if he could; it wasn't any particular amount of tact or courtesy stopping him, but the damned curse. Second, he was well accustomed to what happened if he stared at a woman's body too long without her permission, and it was either looking away or looking this weird dragon-girl in the face...and the pointy, scaly ears were somewhat off-putting.

"Ignore what I've just said, I assure you there are extenuating circumstances to blame," he explained, clearly annoyed. At least he knew he could explain away such comments, though he had a feeling trying to revoke them outright would lead to further complications of some kind. "Just go inside and invite me through already,"[/b] he demanded, waving one hand dismissively before going back to his annoyed sulking.