Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bad face day. [Sinedra!]

Started by Rhindeer, June 08, 2011, 08:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

His life.

Was over.

Well, at least for the day.

Frowning into his mirror, Avery poked at the swollen red pimple on his chin, a monstrosity of epic proportions. No one could see him like this. No one. He would never live down the shame. And clients? Forget it. Who would want him like this, when the only thing they'd be able to look at was that!

Avery groaned and hung his head in defeat, bangs falling into his eyes. That did it. He was condemned to his room until it went down.

Except there was the issue of food...and it was nearly noon and he hadn't yet eaten.

What a dilemma. Starving almost sounded preferable.

Several minutes went by and his grumbling stomach was only becoming angrier, so after some thinking, he fished around in a chest he kept at the foot of his bed. Did he still own it...ah! There it was. He pulled out a gauzy veil, a gift from a client years ago, a nice older lady that enjoyed traveling. She said it was Essyrni--or, she'd added, from some tribe near there--and she liked it when he wore it. Said the men there did sometimes. Well, whatever, he wore the veil whenever she was scheduled, it was harmless and made her happy, and he wasn't one to question his client's...tastes.

It was a little see-through, but just filmy enough that it might work. Tying it on, he checked himself in the mirror, deemed it satisfactory--and to hell with anyone that questioned it! It looked ridiculous, but many of the other Peaches had been around long enough to remember that lady and it was better than going without food and company--and then, after making sure his hair was in order, headed downstairs.

He grabbed some porridge from the kitchen and headed to the common room to eat it, sliding into a seat.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Why her? Did these things have to happen to her?

Natalya had been sitting in the common room for almost an hour; she was wallowing in regret and self-pity. Tiny slender arms were covered in purplish and blackened bruises, more covering her stomach and back, mixing in with her light scars. Why did she allow these kinds of clients? Wait, she knew why... it was her damned gypsy blood! No one gentle was so desperate as to waste their night with her kind.

Mostly Natalya was visited by very rough clients, who'd been denied by the more popular of peaches, and the poor who could just barely afford her. Of course there were always a number of peaches cheaper and worse than her... she figured it had to do with her cursed tainted blood.

It's what she lived with though. This or the streets, that's what it came down to. Seeing as she actually made money here it seemed to be the better choice.

Having been quiet and empty in the room for the duration of her moping, the entrance of another person was quite loud to her ears. Her head snapped up and was shocked to find Avery entering.

His presence was intimidating. He had to be one of the most sought-after peaches at the brothel, and it was no mystery as to why. Natalya had always felt anger toward the man, his skin was about as dark as hers... yet he always had more people seeking him. She knew she shouldn't be jealous, seeing as she had never really talked to him, but it was so hard when his life was so easy compared to hers.

Rhindeer

Avery was so focused on his food, and on not being noticed, that it was a second before he realized he wasn't alone in the room. A shape at the edge of his peripheral vision caught his attention and he gave a little jump--then saw that it was just Natalya. He knew the girl, recognized her, but had never really interacted with her. She was quiet, kept mostly to herself, and Avery respected that and left her alone. Everyone was here for their own reasons and not everyone wanted to be a social butterfly; he understood.

"Oh, hello. Sorry, I didn't notice you," he said, completely unaware of how that might come across. He gave a little nod of greeting and turned to go back to his porridge--but then stopped and did a double-take, turning to look back at her. There was something...off about her. Not just in the way she held herself, but something wrong, something--

His eyes landed on her arms and he winced. It was a little hard to see, at least on a quick glance like he'd initially done, but on closer inspection...

Spirits. That went a little above and beyond the usual hickeys and bruising. Avery had a couple old, faded ones on his neck and shoulders himself, and a few old bruises from little accidents during more...enthusiastic sessions, but...those just looked painful. Painful, and intentional.

Eyes narrowing, he frowned behind the veil. "Do you enjoy that?"

There was such a thing as masochism, after all.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Didn't notice her? Natalya glared at her arms, of course he hadn't! Someone as "important" and desirable as he probably wouldn't notice a nobody like her... Instead of returning his greeting, however insulted as she might be, the gypsy let her gaze wander while her temper cooled... refraining a retort about that stupid veil he was wearing.

Perhaps she shouldn't take it as an insult... After all, wasn't she trying to fit in? Being noticed would mean she stuck out- oh it was pointless. The girl couldn't find any up-side to being overlooked. It only made her loath herself all that much more.

She wasn't expecting Avery to speak again; having given his formalities, he was free to go about forgetting her again. His words caused her head to snap up, eyes following his gaze down to her abused skin.

"No more than you would," she snapped suddenly.

Rising, Natalya pulled her hair free of the pitiful bun she'd tied it into. It wasn't much of a veil for her arms, but her long black hair shielded her shoulders and neck from view. With that she turned to leave the room.

"It must be nice to have a variety of clients to choose from. Maybe you could give me a few tips if you just so happen to find the time to spare for my kind." It wasn't like Natalya to go snapping at people, but she was frustrated and tired... and losing what little hope she had left.

Rhindeer

...Open mouth, insert foot.

Avery's mouth dropped open as she snapped at him, the response seemingly coming from nowhere. Nowhere that he could fathom, at least! He'd never really talked to the girl! But whatever he'd said, it had been enough to set her off so he scrambled to his feet and started after her.

"Wait! What? No! No, no, I didn't mean any harm in that. I just meant--" He'd raised his hand, ready to grab her arm to stop her, but he stopped short when he remembered her bruising and let his hand fall back to his side instead.

"I'm sorry," he said, grimacing. "I didn't mean to insult you. I just meant..." He gave a vague gesture at her arms, feeling like an idiot now. In retrospect, he'd phrased the question poorly, he supposed, but after all his time spent playing make believe around his clients and putting on an elegant and eloquent persona he found himself indulging in bluntness when he wasn't working.

Another deep breath. "What I was trying to say was...you don't have to take that. If someone hurts you. You shouldn't."

Well, that just sounded dandy now after the rest of what she'd said, implying she couldn't pick and choose like he could.

Anonymous

Natalya had spotted his hand from the corner of her vision and had quickly whirled on Avery, glowering his every move. Sure he hadn't touched her... but he was trying to justify his words to her.

She listened to him quietly, secretly taking pride over the fact that he was sounding like an absolute fool. Her brown eyes narrowed when he gestured to her arms... was she diseased now?! Though Avery's intentions hadn't been to insult her, Natalya couldn't help but get angrier. Was it taboo to state the obvious?

"You know, your right. I shouldn't," the gypsy started off calmly, "There's no reason why I should tolerate those men." Absolutely not, but there was only little problem with his statement. "Except that I can't get any other clients. It's either them or be jobless on the streets."

"Though I understand your point, much better to starve to death, right? You would know. All the clients you have, your prestige, your popularity, your experience, how could you not know what the hell I'm going through?!" So much for her trying to remain calm...

Rhindeer

"...Wha?"

Avery's mouth hung open and he was once again left gaping and struggling inarticulately for words. Truth be told, he'd never really thought of himself as popular, or even prestigious. Experienced, yes! He had the job down to an art and fancied himself a skilled actor. Popular...? Well. Alright. So maybe now that he thought about it, that was kind of true. He did have the privilege of turning away undesirables and there had been that man who had bought him for an entire week. He was never lacking in clients and had several repeat customers. He never feared getting kicked out because he couldn't meet his quota and wasn't bringing in enough coin.

And some clients did even recommend him to people they knew...

But he had always lived in a sort of bubble and didn't really think about what the other Peaches dealt with. He liked to keep business separate.

Avery swallowed and licked his lips nervously and tried to trace his steps backwards to try and figure out how the hell he wound up getting told off by another Peach.

"I...uh. Sorry?" he offered, then grimaced. That sounded so incredibly lame and he felt like an ass, but he wasn't sure how to make this better and he never had handled angry people well; he was less confrontational and more underhanded in his own anger. He took a step backwards and held up his hands. "No, honestly. My apologies. I didn't...know, I..."

Wait. The problem was that she couldn't get clients, correct?

Aha.

"...I may be able to show you some tricks of the trade?"

Anonymous

"Well I-... What?" Natalya had been so absorbed in her fury that she almost missed the offer Avery made. Teach her the tricks of the trade? How much was there to know? You please your clients, you get paid, couldn't get anymore simple than that... but if he was offering-

The gypsy studied the elder Peach for a moment before scoffing. "Like what? Showing me how to get lighter skin? Besides, why should you show me, what are you wanting out of this?" She couldn't think of any other reason for him to be assisting her. Perhaps she seemed easy, taking what she could get when she could... well if that was his opinion of her then Avery had a hell of an awakening coming.

Though... she would be lying if she said she didn't want help. If it meant getting better clients then hell she would take him up on his offer!

Rhindeer

"Huh...?" Avery stared openly at Natalya then and glanced very slowly from her to his own arm, before lifting his arm and waving it in front of her. "What are you talking about? I'm dark like you. Why would Adelans want ghost-skinned peaches?"

He shook his head, still utterly confused, and shrugged. "They want some color in their lovers, unless they're foreigners, have a taste for exoticism, or just prefer waify, androgynous Serenians. But frankly, love, I'd say the first step for you is to adopt a more pleasant, positive attitude. Now..."

Reaching up, Avery adjusted his veil and looked her over from top to bottom before folding his arms across his chest. "I'm not getting anything out of this, and I'm confident enough in my own abilities that--no offense--I'm not afraid of making a rival out of you. I just remember what it was like when I first came here. This isn't an easy job, dear. I know I would have appreciated a little guidance when I first came here."

Eleven years ago. He couldn't believe it had been that long.

Anonymous

The younger peach glared at the floor, "Your blood and mine are different. You come from a nice Adelan family... I'm not even Adelan." She didn't really want to get into that right now though, she was much to interested in his proposition.

"Which is why they don't want me." If Avery was smart perhaps he could figure it out from there. "Pleasant, positive attitude?" She nearly went off on another tangent! "Forgive me but would you if you had these almost everyday of your life?" She indicated to her marked arms.

Natalya rolled her eyes at his "confidence", of course he didn't think her a threat. Fact was, she wasn't so positive that he was as good as the clients claimed. "Yeah well you're a few years too late in giving your "guidance". Besides, how could I even begin to take you seriously while wearing that?"

Would it not have been for the seriousness of their conversation she might have laughed. He looked terribly preposterous in that veil; she couldn't even fathom why someone such as himself would need to wear it around.

((I wasn't sure if you knew or not, but I changed Natalya's race to Duhjari))

Rhindeer

[Ohh! Okay, sweet! 8D]

"Ah ah ah!" Avery held up a finger, scowling at her from over the veil. Well, if eyes could scowl, that is. "See? That's exactly what I mean. You're getting all snippy at me already!"

Straightening his shoulders, he lifted his chin and tried not to seem bothered by her comment. Hmph. He was aware he looked ridiculous but--ah. He could use this to make an example. He took a step closer to her and jabbed lightly at her chest. "Now, listen, and listen well. I realize I look utterly stupid right now, but see, you have to own it. The key is in not letting on that it bothers it, to carry yourself like you just don't care, like you know something they don't. Instead of shaming myself by acting embarrassed by this ridiculous thing, instead I can play it up as something exotic enough to make them want it.

"Just like you have to own your...blood." He pursed his lips. That was the politest way he knew how to put it. "You have to know how to sell yourself--since that's what we're doing here. Selling ourselves, our bodies. You have options, girl! There are ways to make people want you, but you have to stop thinking of yourself as an outcast. For example..."

He looked thoughtful for a moment, and then snapped his fingers. "Ah! Yes! For example, from now on, you're no longer a savage. You're a tribal princess--or priestess, take your pick--captured by the enemy, stripped of your weapons--and clothes--bound and forced to use your exotic, hidden talents to pleasure those that you would once hurt. Something like that. Sounds exciting, doesn't it?"

Anonymous

Silence, that was all that came from Natalya. How on earth was he so popular again? "...." She truly had no inclination to speak; the Duhjari peach would've rather liked to pretend that this moment had been a fragmentation of her mind.

"Last I had been aware, most clients aren't into fantasizing their sex up. You see ever extra second they spend is more coin in our pockets, most are smart enough to just get it done and over with. Acting like children wasn't a technique I had been privy too I see." This whole-... thing, was just ridiculous! She wasn't going to act like a pleasure deprived savage and make herself out to be asinine as well as tainted.

The girl shook her head and delicately rubbed her temple with slender fingers. "Your advice isn't so great, but you deliver one hell of a headache." Why couldn't he just be taciturn?

Rhindeer

Avery sank his face into his hand. Oh...oh dear...

"My lady, you clearly have us confused for back-alley whores, which we are most assuredly not," Avery began, slowly sliding his hand away from his face. He frowned at her, head slightly tilted. "This is not a red-light brothel. We are not mere prostitutes. People do not visit us only for carnal pleasures, things they could get from any brothel and for far cheaper! We are entertainers, love. People visit us for conversation, for food and drink and massages. Sex is generally the main event, but it's not all we do here, and the people who come here generally plan on spending their evening with us."

Crossing his arms over his chest, he eyed her. "Do you know that men sometimes take Nadia out to events when they need a woman on their arm? Do you know that Aidan has a man that visits him, sometimes only to talk? I have an older woman that likes to show me off at special occasions as her young plaything and had one man even buy me for a week. Darling, we're selling more than flesh here. So you may want to work on your personality."