Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost Lady [Rina!]

Started by Tally, August 04, 2011, 10:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Lorin craned his neck to look over the crowd of gathered guests, but did not see Rhonwen anywhere.  Not that he knew exactly who he was looking for, only that she had red hair.  Their parents had been in talks of an arrangement for nigh a month now, but this was their first time meeting each other.

Nothing had been decided yet, nor would it be until they had met and courted for a time.  Even if an agreement were to be reached soon, they would not wed for a year or two.

He was here alone, at this party held in Arca's own palace, while his parents had had to stay behind in Ravensway.  It was unnerving, being the one and only representation of his province here.

And still no Rhonwen!  He ventured out onto the balconies and looked down into the gardens below for her.

Anonymous

Rhonwen had never been to the palace before. Well, she had as a very small child, but she hardly remembered. It was so big! She could get lost just trying to find the privy!

She had been forced into her best dress, dark green with silver accents and her hair all done up. She was meeting the man her parents were hoping she would marry. She was lucky, she knew, in that her father was giving her some freedom in who she wed. There were no pressing ties needing to be forged, so they hoped she and Lorin would hit it off, but if they didn't, that was alright.

But Rhonwen was hopeful. Her father wouldn't have picked someone awful. She strolled into the gardens, confused as to how she got out there. She had been hoping to run into Lorin, but she had taken a wrong turn somewhere apparently.

Tally

Lorin spotted a young lady below who fit her description and started to wave, then stopped himself.  It may not be her.  What to do?  It would be most crass if he called out to the wrong girl.

Taking the path of caution, Lorin made his way down and into the garden, though now he had to find her all over again.  Ah, there she was!  And he could now see the Moonspear sigil embroidered upon her gown.

He smiled and took two glasses of wine and went over to her.  "Lady Rhonwen, do forgive me for not finding you sooner."

Anonymous

"Oh!" Rhonwen startled, almost jumping out of her skin when Lorin came up behind her. With a laugh, she whirled around, hand against her chest, "I'm sorry! You scared me. I was just totally lost in-oh! You must be Lord Lorin? I hope so, because if you aren't, I'm just going to give up on tonight!"

Taking the wine, Rhonwen took a sip, heart still pounding from the surprise.

Tally

Lorin jumped when she jumped, and felt a childish embarrassment immediately that he'd startled her so badly.  It was only an accident but still, how awkward.

He cleared his throat, nervous without any real need to be and in spite of all the talk going on in his head telling him that neither of them needed to prove anything here, they were only meeting each other.

"Indeed, Lord Lorin Siilan, my lady.  I'm relieved to find you at last!"

Anonymous

Rhonwen took a sip of wine to steady her nerves, cheeks a little flushed. She knew it was just a simple meeting, no pressure, but still, a young childish part of her just wanted to impress him, "Lady Rhonwen Talii."

Giving a small curtsy, she smiled and held her hand out, "Do you know the gardens very well? I've never gotten to see them before."

Tally

Lorin took her hand and led her on a weaving course through the party goers and around the flower beds.  "Many a time!  Though not nearly enough.  I feel there's not enough years in a lifetime to witness all of the surprises in these gardens.  They have mages tending them, and there are plants here that—if you believe the stories—will grow nowhere else in the world."

He was talking too much.  It was just his nerves.  He led her past the musicians as an excuse to shut his mouth finally.

Anonymous

Rhonwen was more than happy to let Lorin lead, enjoying his little speech. It was rather interesting and Rhonwen always felt tongue tied in these situations. She wasn't used to trying to impress a boy. It was easy to talk to them when it didn't matter, but now it mattered.

Once they passed the musicians, Rhonwen moved a little closer, smiling, "Well, I demand you take me to see those plants. If I can only see them here, I want to see them." A number of things to say danced through her head, but she didn't like any of them. They sounded too silly, too vapid or too awkward, "I don't spend much time in the gardens back home, though my mother insists I spend much too much time in the woods."

Tally

"As my lady commands!"  He led her off with a smile and a jolt of relief.  This wasn't so difficult!  They were doing well, he thought.

"Oh!  If you like the woods we must arrange a visit to Ravensway for you!  Our forests are quite unique," he said.  Their path brought them into a winding maze of gravel trails, weaving their ways through lovely but as yet mundane flowers and trees.  The truly incredible inhabitants of the garden lay further along.

Anonymous

Mundane or not, Rhonwen still enjoyed them. He made Lorin pause a few times so she could admire or smell some of the plants, liking the soft cream and purple lily quite a bit, "I would love to visit your woods. I love the outdoors, there is so much to do out there. And, well," Rhonwen gave a small laugh, shrugging her pale shoulders, "I like training with the Order. I wish I could join up."

It was getting easier to talk to Lorin the longer they spent together. It wasn't the most amazing conversation ever, but it was nice and he was easy to talk to, "What about you?"

Tally

"I spend most of my time in the forests as well.  I am a liaison of sorts to the fey there.  The forests would be quite treacherous did we not have such a long-lasting and fair relation with them.  They work with us now, for the safety of all."

It was his particular gift to be able to perceive and communicate with fey creatures better than most humans, but more than that, he could understand them.  He was quite a fey thing himself, more so than would be considered...seemly, at least at court, but he disguised it well and made himself useful with it besides, and so had avoided a scandal thus far.

"Ah, that it what I wanted to show you.  And we are here just in time!"  A small gathering clustered about a pair of tall, flowering plants.  The blossoms were only just beginning to open.  A dark purple, the petals unwrapped themselves slowly and a light built up inside, blue at the core of the flower then softening to a vibrant violet in the petals.  The entire, open blossom glowed with a vivid luminescence.

Anonymous

Rhonwen's reply died on her lips, her fascination with his job paling in the glow of the flowers. She tightened her grip on Lorin's arm, stepping a little closer, "Oh Kia. That is beautiful. They're glowing."

She had never seen anything like it, all those colors. She just stared for a few moments, enthralled at the beauty of it.

Tally

Lorin fell silent, held in awe by the blossoms himself.  Having seen them half a dozen times before had not lessened their wonder.  He marveled that something to precious could be brought here before them.

After a few moments, he leaned in to speak in a low voice.  Loud talk would have ruined the moment.  "I understand they are exceedingly difficult to grow.  They thrive only under prohibitively specific conditions."

Anonymous

Rhonwen nodded, leaning against him, eyes only for the flower, her own voice equally hushed, "Oh I'm sure. Thank you. For showing me this. I've never seen the like."

Tags: