Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Never Trust the Woman Sleeping Next to You

Started by miss_sanguine, December 18, 2011, 06:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_sanguine

Whatever sort of poison his assailant had used on him was wearing off. The dizziness ebbed, helping only to make his already splitting headache even worse. His limbs no longer felt like lead, now only so drained of energy that they shook with fatigue.

He hated it. Why would anyone want to do this to him? Why?

Feeling immature and in no mood to lie idle in bed after a man had just come in to kill him, Monnayage gave a low growl much like a cat's and tossed the blankets off of himself. The effort made his arms shake with strain, but he really could not care less.

Who was this kid, to tell him what to do and expect him to listen? He couldn't even fend for himself. He was a worm, the lowest on the food chain of human command. Animal instincts told him that he, Monnayage, was above this runt.

"I didn't do anything," he snarled. "Not that I can think of. That Higham's just an ugly bastard. Jealous of me, more like." The pain in his side started again and reminded him of his predicament, making him groan pathetically. "But there's nothing to be jealous of now. Not now that I've got a . . . scar."

The word even tasted ugly on his tongue.

Maneki came to curl up on his chest once more, glaring at him with her big blue eyes. <Oh, do be quiet already, or I'll give you another one to complain about. And it'll be in a place where you can't hide it.>

He stared back at her a moment, too angry to respond. Then he rubbed his nose with his arm, the smell of his blood on the sheets by the bed making his stomach roil. He'd never liked that smell, not even when it was his own.

"What kind of poison did that girl use, anyway? I'm so . . . drained." It was a change of subject, at least.

Haze

Etharon narrowed his eyes at the other man's clear objections to being looked after, but let him be. If he didn't want the blankets on, he wasn't going to force him. Let him be a little sissy boy - he didn't care. His continued dramatics were starting to grate on his nerves too - melodrama was one of the many reasons he'd got away from his family in the first place. The boy just closed his eyes in a pained kind of way, listening to the moaning.  

"How am I supposed to know?" Etharon asked, scrunching up his face at the question, and opening one eye warily. He didn't know anything about the woman, or poisons, and didn't have the faintest idea why the other man might be asking him. He leaned back in his chair and sighed. "I don't know anything about poisons - you wanna maybe find someone who does?"

miss_sanguine

"How am I supposed to know?" the other asked, and Monnayage heard the insolence in the tone. How dare the kid talk to him like that--him, Monnayage, a guy that could beat the little punk up even in the condition in which he found himself? And of course the kid wouldn't know anything about poisons--he didn't seem to know anything about anything. What a useless excuse for a human being.

"No, I don't want you to go find someone who does," he growled. Knowing how the kid had been acting thus far, he might just run off and not come back. Already he'd gotten himself into something way over his little, innocent head.

Maneki stared at him from her resting place on his chest, her tail twitching curiously behind her. Even though the drug or poison or whatever it was that had been used was leaving his system, he still found it hard to read what the cat felt. Was that amusement in her eyes, or something more akin to surprise? <You're awfully moody,> she finally said, sounding as if she were merely voicing an small observation.

At that he had to look away, letting out a derisive, "Ha. Right." Moody, she said. Of course he was moody! Couldn't a guy be distraught for once without everyone going down his throat about it?

He lifted his arm and gave the cat a firm shove off, then sat up--swearing under his breath when it took more effort than he'd ever thought possible. There was no way he was going to let some stupid weakness stop him. "Hey, kid," he said, looking to the other that sat lounging in a chair. "Help me stand. I'm going after that guy. That Higham."

Haze

Etharon rolled his eyes at the other's determined attempts to get up, and the cat's equally as determined efforts to keep him down. Smart cat, the boy thought with a certain affection towards the animal that could only come from an animal lover. Etharon was definitely nursing a sore ego - as much as he wanted to be a hero, he was now more than aware of his shortfall.

"Etharon," he muttered, finally getting sick of being called 'kid'. "My name's Etharon, and I bet you're not even a year older than me. So quit calling me kid." He looked up with a defiant little spark in his eye, daring the other to continue with the derogatory name calling. "And no. You can't go anywhere! If you can't stand by yourself, then you definitely can't go after that thug."

miss_sanguine

His boiling temper licked at the fringes of his self control. In the wake of the heat from it, he had the desire to slug Etharon in the face, to give him another bruise much bigger than Higham's fist had. He glared at the other from his sitting place on the edge of the bed, sizing him up. Etharon looked to be a man that could blow away in the slightest wind, yet he had the gall to flare defiance in Monnayage's--a guy who was much stronger than him, and looked it too--face.

A mouse facing a lion. Of all the strangest things to see. Maybe he had some spunk to him after all.

Unable to help himself, an appreciative grin split across Monnayage's face.

"Ha. Only a year younger? Go figure. Still," and he grabbed the bedpost to slowly get to his feet, legs shaking, "you proved little resistance to Mr. Higham, so excuse me for going on with calling you 'kid'--bug off, Manni!" The cat was winding her way around his feet in angry figure-eights, hissing and growling under her breath as she gave an occasional painful swipe to his toes.

Her attacks only became more frantic at this, however, and soon he had to try and dance away from her without falling over or letting go of the bedpost.

miss_sanguine

Closing this due to inactivity. If you'd like to start it up again, PM me.

Tags: