Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Summer Shivers (Arcanus)

Started by quaggan, August 04, 2018, 10:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

The Defenceless Old Ladies scattered as soon as they entered Zantaric. At this point, they were a well-oiled team where every lady gear knew her role and could perform without further instructions. Rivan and Hilya headed for the ironically named white market to resupply. Britannia was the one who got them the last assignment, so she went to report on the progress. High time - the severed heads were starting to rot and some of the sisters with enhanced senses were beginning to complain. Tarroth and Invis went on a mission the couldn't agree on naming. To Invis, it was job acquisition - to the ogre, it was all about drinks.

Invis was short for 'invisible', of course. Her minor magical ability allowed her to temporarily disappear from people's perception. She insisted that it wasn't true invisibility, that she just made them forget she existed - even if she stood right in front of their eyes - but the nickname stuck. Invis stopped minding.

She was sent to act as a sort of a handler for Tarroth - someone to keep the ogre from punching a potential customer if they had the misfortune of being, or looking male. As soon as they entered, she began to look around, careful not to stare for too long in order to draw attention. She didn't want to cause an unnecessary brawl - although her struggle sister had a tendency to do so anyway.

As Invis investigated the tavern, Tarroth headed immediately for the bar. Some of the patrons saw her coming - most moved out of the way. Their sense of self-preservation outweighed their sense of entitlement, it seemed - and she did not look like the kind of a person to be concerned with running someone over.

She crouched down over the bar, looking at the very frightened elf tending it, before turning back to Invis. The human tossed a pouch over to her - while most of the time, being so careless with money in a shady tavern, would end up badly, the presence of an ogre at the receiving end made even the greediest regulars keep their hands from reaching for the pouch.

"You could start carrying your own money" Invis muttered.

"They could start making coins that I can hold, not this... sand" the ogre commented. She would probably start ranting about how the tiny people made equally tiny money, but Invis activated her power, fading from everyone's perception. Tarroth found herself starting at an empty space with no clue about what was just going on, shrugged and turned her attention to the bartender again.

"One bucket of dwarven ale."

The elf blinked. "Bucket?"

"What, are you deaf?" she threatened, hunching over his bar. "What am I supposed to do with your tiny mugs, wear them as thimbles?"

Invis reappeared, poking her on the hand. "If you kill or hurt him, you won't be able to get your ale."

"I will" Tarroth grumbled back, but didn't move. "It's right there, I can just pour myself some."

Invis groaned. "We're mercenaries. We kill when we get paid. No one paid us for for killing him, and he hasn't attacked him. I swear, if I wanted to babysit a toddler with no impulse control, I'd have stayed home and gotten married."

The elf realized that he was probably not about to get smashed by an ogre and sent a thankful glance at Invis. "I will go get a bucket right away!"

The human disappeared again, off to continue her task hopefully without any interruptions. Tarroth leaned against the creaking wall and waited for her drink to come. She didn't even try the chairs - the Defenceless Old Ladies did not have an infinite budget to cover the destruction of all furniture that was not built to withstand the weight of an ogre in heavy armour.

The door creaked open. Tarroth turned her head to look.

Arcanus

Tarlaz's jungle treck from her home village to the human dominated trading village was a long and arduous one full of adventure. Stopping at the entrance to the village, possibly one of the largest villages she had ever seen barring the occasional gathering of orc tribes, she puzzled at the strange carvings that overlooked the entrance. The sign was meaningless to her, though she wondered if they might be some sort of human magic to ward off predators.

Stepping through the village gates, the eyes of the guards watched her closely, only to be met with a glare from the young orc woman. As she ventured further in to the town she was met with similar stares, the eyes of the villagers reflecting thoughts of curiosity, revulsion, hatred, fear, and even lust. Orcs were generally unwelcome in the wider world, even a jungle savage like Tarlaz knew that. She also knew however that this trading village at least tolerated her people, with some of the denizens acting more as orcs than as humans.

Armed to the teeth with the weapons of her people, Tarlaz could perhaps understand their fear, though she only considered them cowards for it. Wearing little but a fur loincloth and leather chest wraps, Tarlaz's attire left little to the imagination and spurred many lecherous gazes from some of the braver men of the village, as if they stood any chance against her strength. So far Tarlaz was not impressed with what the village had to offer.

Wandering the winding streets, the observant orc noticed more strange planks of wood overhanging the entrances to various buildings, their strange squiggles and lines taunting her. Not spells then, perhaps this was how the villagers knew one home from another. Coming to a stop in front of a building that possessed a picture as well as the dancing lines, the painted image was one that crossed cultures and languages. A picture of steaming meat and a drinking vessel of some strange foam.

"Come on in greeny, Tyral will buy you a drink for a peak under that cloth!"

The heckling brought her attention from the sign to a pair of ruffians who stooped on the tavern's steps, smoking from a pipe together. Sniffing, the bitter smoke assaulted her superior sense of smell, leaving a noxious odor to linger in her nostrils. Stepping closer to the pair, they grinned and heckled, thinking themselves superior to the jungle savage in their civilized trappings.

"H-hey! What are you doi-mphhmpph!" The man's exclamation muffled as Tarlaz snatched the pipe from his hand, and at his protest, stepped on his face with her bare foot, pushing him to the ground with ease as she dumped the pipe's contents on the ground.

"Bad smell." Speaking roughly in the trade tongue as she removed her foot from the startled man's face and stamping out the embers, she dropped the pipe on the mans chest and continued forwards, leaving the men to sputter in anger and confusion. Her grasp of the trade tongue was poor, but servicable enough to make do. After all even in the depths of the jungles traders occassionally made their rounds through the various villages, bartering for safe passage and jungle rarities, trading weapons of steel for exotic jungle spices and other luxury goods.

Opening the door with a loud creaking, Tarlaz winced at the noise it made. Every eye turned to watch her enter, causing her to freeze in place for a moment. A mixture of rough looking thugs, and rough looking townsfolk gawked at her for a moment. Most notably was a large ogre, her form covered in metal armor, leaning against a wall.

Time seemed to tick by in Tarlaz's mind, all eyes on her. But life among the orcs did not cause one to grow timid, however little time she had spent among her own people of late.

"Keep eyes to self, unless want to lose them." She growled, her poor grasp of the trade tongue evident but the message coming across clear enough. Most of the tavern went back to their drinks and company, though a few still leered from under shadowed hoods or glanced out the corner of their eyes. Walking up the elf who appeared to be a man of some small authority in the house, Tarlaz leaned foward against the bar, getting close to his face.

"Give me the picture." She snarled, tusks perilously close to his face, the scent of her morning meal carrying on her words. The man blanched, color draining from his face as his eyes looked at her in confusion, stuttering as he tried to back away and make some space between them, "Th- the what?"

"The picture! Over the door!" Shouting as she grabbed him by the shirt and pointed towards the door. "Food! Drink!" Shouting quietly in his face before releasing him to sit down on a stool as the elf scurried off in fear to comply with her requests. Once more the tavern was staring at her, though none so openly for fear of losing their eyes. Grinning slightly, Tarlaz thought that she was making a good impression on the people of this village so far, her strength and confidence on full display.

quaggan

Barely did the elf return with a bucket of ale when the newcomer approached him. He almost dropped it, but the perspective of getting his skull smashed in by an ogre angry about wasting good drink, did wonders for his reflexes. He carefully placed the bucket on the bar, then turned back to Tarlaz. "Yes, of course. What can I offer you? We have, uh..." he blinked as he did his best to profile a new customer and figure out what would a scantily clad orc like. "There's meat, and alcohol, and our cook makes a good stew..."

Tarroth stayed. If a guy cut in line, she would smash him into the ground, but she couldn't do it to a sister. The orc was probably hungry, or had equally valid reasons. The bucket of ale could wait. And the coins, too. She tossed the pouch to the other hand, waiting.

Arcanus

She had assumed the elf would scurry off to comply with her demands. Instead he lingered, asking questions, looking nervous and pathetic.

"Meat. Alcohol." Tarlaz responded, glancing about to reference anything. Noting the bucket of ale, she pointed to it. "That. And pig." Narrowing down her wishes for the weakling elf so that he could serve her.

"Of course, though this one is for someone else. You want the bucket too?" Exasperation and confusion in his voice. A strange day where not once but twice he was serving a full bucket of ale to someone.

"Drunk in buckets yes? Give bucket." Her poor grasp of the trade tongue hindering her ability to communicate, but the point seemed to be coming across at least as the elf shook his head in annoyed acceptance.

"Yes I'll bring you a bucket of ale, and some roast jungle pig. But first i need to take this to its owner." Grabbing the bucket and making to leave the bar. "I'll be right back miss."

Of course his escape wasn't so easy. Tarlaz reached out and gripped his arm, only the mans expert bartending skills preveting him from spilling the bucket. Instead he balanced it perfectly even as his arm was jostled so that not a drop spilled.

"Fast. Or might eat you." Tarlaz growled, baring her smaller than average tusks at the man before releasing him. The man grumbled under his breath about stupid jungle orcs as he brought the ale to the sulking Ogre. He swore the day couldnt get any worse.

"One bucket of dwarven ale ma'am."  He offered the sloshing bucket forth for the ogre to take.

quaggan

"Hey, watch out!" Tarroth called, frowning at the elf. He was going to spill her ale, the idiot!

"Yes ma'am" he gasped out, settling the bucket in front of her. His gaze was drawn to the pouch in her hand, but he decided against taking payment now and possibly angering the orc with more delay. Money could wait. He hurried back to the kitchen in order to get the pig, almost jostling one of the beverage shelves on his way out.

"I wonder where he'd get the pig from" she mused. As a child of proud farming ogres, she remembered the whole bullshit about needing space and feed for the animals. Zantaric didn't look like a good place to raise any livestock. But maybe he just had an employer good with transmutation magic. Tarroth didn't really care - original or magical meat all tasted the same to her.

All this thinking about pigs, and the smell wafting from the kitchen only served to make her hungrier. Perhaps she should order some food as well. But drinking came first. She cautiously grasped the bucket in her fist - squeezing too hard would break the wood and spill her ale - and gulped down an impressive volume of liquid.

She sat down on the floor and plopped the bucket back on the bar. Now it was closer to the appropriate height, and she could treat it as a table - a narrow, squishy table, but it would hold her bucket. She turned her attention back to the orc who was still standing there, waiting for her order. Oh right, all the standard seats were taken. Poor thing.

"I thought I'm the only one who drinks dwarven ale in buckets" she remarked.

Arcanus

The Elf disappeared to retrieve what Tarlaz had ordered him to bring her after giving the first bucket to the ogre. His departure was swiftly followed by the wafting scent of roast pig.

Tarlaz could hear the ogre mumble something, but she only understood half the words. Something about pig, the pig that Tarlaz had just ordered. She sized the ogre up out of the corner of her eye, deciding whether she could take the towering woman on if she tried to steal her pig.

"Your food... miss?"

A heaping plate of roasted pork and a bucket of foamy brown liquid was placed in front of her. Ignoring the elf, who began to pratter on about coins, Tarlaz eyed the Ogre's bucket, gauging how much she had drank. Picking up her bucket with both hands, but with relative ease, Tarlaz took a big breath, and then drank.

The bucket hung in the air for what woukd seem like an eternity as Tarlaz chugged dwarven ale. She drank until her lungs screamed for air and her throat burned. Her vision swimming from lack of air, Tarlaz slammed the bucket down on the bar, causing the barteder to jump in shock, mid sentence.

Tarlaz grinned toothishly as she examined her handiwork, just barely having drank more than the Ogre had in a single swallow. The drink however was nothing like the alcohol of her tribe, made from fermented fruits or milks. It was thick and bitter, the taste laying heavily on her tongue.

"If drunk in buckets, then drunk in buckets." Tarlaz grinned to the ogre. She wasn't going to find any better company in the place, she could already tell.

"I Tarlaz." Grinning at the Ogre as she introduced herself, still ignoring the bartender who finally wandered off meekly, swearing to get what they owed him later.

quaggan

She grinned back at the orc in response, brandishing what was meant to be a friendly smile and probably came out as a creepy grin. "I Tarroth" she responded, mirroring the orc's introduction. It was nice to meet someone else who also drank dwarven ale in buckets! Well, in her case, it was a necessity - one simple small mug was not enough to quench her thirst, it was comparable to a sip. And ogres were hard to get drunk. Tarlaz must have had an impressive constitution - but then again, orcs tended to be tougher than the Squishy Races.

"I like your drinking style" she proclaimed. "Do you have a talented healer available, or just an unusually strong head?"