Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Once Upon a Time...

Started by Hiya, July 02, 2013, 04:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiya

There was a girl who stood at the edge of an island. The name of which, she did not know. It was not the main land of Thanatos though. Her first few days on the island had told her enough of that. The few people she did see did not know what to make of the rude, paler-skinned foreigner. They didn't approve of her brief display of wind power either. That was the half-elves own fault for not paying attention to such a custom, but she did not understand why the natives seemed so offended when she greeted them. She treated them like she treated everyone. In hind sight, no one really like how she treated them, but that was their own problem. Much like how trusting a stranger to take her North landed her on of the remote islands of Thanatos without any provisions. Someone had taken the few items she held onto over the last 3 years and left her with nothing. This was something she would make them return. Initially she had made a raft set for the main island. That way she could get her bearings correct, learn a bit about the culture more before taking what she learned on her journey. It seemed like a great plan, but none of the natives would help, and she'd never made a raft before....

All of which lead up to the youngest child of House Verot'dess to be standing near the ocean. Her turquoise eyes pierced into the distance at the remains of her poorly made mode of transportation. Anger burned under her skin, making it easier to ignore the dampness of her clothes. What in the world would a Native do if they saw her in such a state now? Good thing her back was toward the rest of the world. The only purpose standing still was composing herself and directing her thoughts. She doubted anyone would bother her, and in this time she focused entirely on how to retrieve the raft she swam away from.

Katarinas eyes slid shut as a breeze of wind seemingly danced around her. The furrow on her young brow relaxed as the gale grew more intense. For a moment it began to lift her up, but she raised her arm and the wind followed suit. It swirled in the air as she landed in the ground. Her eyes opened just before she moved the wind forward toward the raft. It gained momentum as it surged behind it, before sweeping under and moving the medium sized piece back toward the island. She was pleased in her ability to manipulate the wind to her need, but forgot to control it enough to bring it in smoothly. As such, it was heading right towards her!

Just in time, she  threw herself to the ground and moments after heard a crash among the trees. She grimaced at the sound, the extra dirt on her travel clothes, the pain at her knee, and her hair coming loose of its bounds from the force of her wind. She managed to look up at the crash site and was thankful it only took out two trees and destroy most of her work. Hopefully none of the natives were around to cause a fuss over it. The youth let out an exasperated sigh before kicking her legs in frustration. Why couldn't things go her way for once?!

Brisinger987

Cousins were sometimes the most annoying things in the world. Especially the deranged, four times removed, flesh-hungry shadow demon kind. All Skalos wanted to do was play games, and he never stopped referring to himself as "we", when he wasn't even a demon soul construct. He was one damned demon. And now Skalos wouldn't leave him alone, and when he did get away for peace and quiet, he was worrying about Eleni. And if Skalos met Eleni, no doubt a fight, or some eating of the other would occur. And then there would be the political fallout, hells forbid, that someone should get eaten or killed. And if Eleni got killed, of course, because of the nature of Skalos, Kirnardaz would get blamed. "Parents do not kill children, children kill parents, it is the nature of demon royalty..." As if Kirnardaz would expose HIS daughter to the world of Daemon politics, and the arguments of royal rights, and the rights of half-demons.

Amongst all this turmoil of Skalos alone, he was finding it hard enough. Now there were reports of revolt in his realm, the populace apparently unhappy that their leader didn't give them enough food, and that there was no chaos in the streets, and that there were too many laws forbidding things like public fornication, instant execution, rule of Markan, and other violent or indecent acts. The rule of Markan hardly ever found play anyways. "If someone murders your spouse or child, you have the right to exact revenge." With the rate of murder in Vorax, it would mean everyone was dead.

And then there was the daily task of making sure Eleni was alright. That was a challenge in itself. And trying to make sure she didn't learn about demon politics. He would NOT be slaughtered in his sleep by his own damn daughter. He was too good for that.

Then there were the teenage demons of his realm, constantly ranting and raving about how unfair their lives were, and the amount of times he had to execute teenagers who had broken laws he had set was astonishing. He had to kill them personally as well. And for some of them, it was easy. For the ones of Eleni's age, he had a lot of difficulty killing them.

And with all the stress on him, he had to try and perform his studies. Purity was a difficult thing to study, hard to find and even harder to observe. But he spent enough time doing it to make progress. In essence, it was a philosophical study as much as a magical study.

And so, he had spent most of the day simply observing this child. A minor island on Thanatos. Perfect. But optical observation gave him nothing. And this child was suffering. For all his cold, calculating manners, children were his weakness. He loved them, and couldn't bear seeing them suffer.

He summoned the energy to enter Earth-realm near the child, and brought himself there.

He approached the child, no armour, just his human appearance.

"Hello? Are you ok?"

Hiya

Her legs paused a moment, just as her fist had raised up in anger to slam the ground. Her mind ran through the possibilities of the strange voice as she lowered her limbs to lay flat on the ground again. There was a moment spent this way, before she pushed herself up and back. She came to settle in a sitting position with one leg crossed under her and the other knee cradled to her chest. She hadn't had time to wipe the moisture from her eyes, but hopefully the amount of blinking she had done while moving would prove enough to remove any evidence of tears. One hand conveniently covered the wound on her knee, whatever it was. All she knew was that it hurt, but she did her best to hide any proof of that. Her eyes looked up at the towering man through a curtain of dark brown. For a moment she was reminded of her father in height, but she quickly swallowed that emotion down. instead, she moved her hair from her face so she could see them man clearly.

"Of course I'm alright," she said in a voice determined to fool everyone, including herself. it was a bit snippy, but best for the seemingly open position she was in. She accessed his over all being quickly as one would a fellow member of noble court. Her eyes glanced at her knee where a thorn of sorts seemed to be imbedded. Despite her thoughts, she kept a proper face learned from her family. She looked back up at the dark haired man. "What business do you have here?" The young girl asked as she pulled at the thorn through her travel pants that was buried in her flesh. The second question was less aggressive as the first, but still held a serious note to it. The man did not appear to be a native Thanatian.

She grimaced at removing it, but spent the time recovering and summoning her minor healing power by speaking. "If you've come to rob me you're a few days late. While a similar reason would humor me, another reason will suffice." As she spoke, a small gale of wind seemed to surround her knee and bellow under the loose pant leg. Once finished with her evenly paced words, her knee was healed, as far as she could tell. It at least didn't hurt, and she felt the itchiness of a scab where here hand had been.

Her young eyes became fixed on the man again from her spot on the ground. A look of determined expectation at getting the answers she wanted. Hopefully it was enough to deter the predicament that she was a young, thin child without any visible way of defending herself should things go wrong. It was all she had. That, and the strange 2 inch thorn that lay by her side.

Brisinger987

"I was worried. You seemed distressed, and I was just trying to make sure you are ok. I can sense the magic around you." Torak flashed the colour in his eyes so that his eyes physically lit up like big red fire. To him, his vision was now coated in a blood red, everything different shades of red. It usually happened when he was exceptionally angry. The last time he was that angry was when Sophia was killed. And when his eyes glowed like that, he could see magic in people. It wasn't and ability, just a gut feeling to follow, that was generally right.

"What are you doing here all by yourself?" Kirnardaz didn't move any closer, for fear she would attack, or be aggravated by his approach. His eyes, after all, were glowing crimson, and no doubt he was on fire in some way. He had the odd habit of spontaneously combusting, no matter the situation.

Hiya

A look of shock came over her features without knowing. The look in his his eyes was lost to the fact that his eyes were on fire. Literately. Her own turquoise eyes were bright and child like. A mix of emotions in her eyes. Fear was not one of them. Astonished and intrigued she was, but she did not know the reason for his eyes looking as they did, but she did not want to admit ignorance just yet. When she realized she was still looking amazed, the young girl shut her mouth and quickly evaluated the situation. He wasn't hurting. He mentioned magic. He did not seem to be angry enough to warrant a needless attack. He also made no move toward her, which she was thankful for.

"A merchant was to bring me to Thanatos. Somehow I fell asleep and woke up here without my belongings...."
A series of thoughts crossed her mind. At the forefront was that the man would sell her items for money. This included her books, writing supplies, her only dress, and her Camila, a stuffed animal from her family. No one could not be allowed to have her Camila!

"I have to find him. There are things which no one here should have," Katarina said as she stood up. It was a slow process to as her right knee still felt weird. Little did she know, the thorn was from an aggressive plant usually able to paralyze an animal trying to eat it for hours. Luckily the thorn she fell on was dying, and only capable of doing so to a set area. he healing delayed the process which allowed her to stand on it. All the young girl knew was that her scab itched a lot, and her leg was weak. She leaned more on her left one as a result.

"Where did you come from? Do the natives treat you differently your burning eyes? Are they familiar with you?"
She kept herself from asking more questions for two reasons. One, it was a childish habit to ask multiple questions without receiving an answer to one. Two, the pain in her knee was spreading, and she did not understand why.

Brisinger987

"They are unfamiliar with me. I have not visited this island in a very long time. No-one here could possibly know me. Unless they were a religious nutcase, who knew their 10,000 page holy book off by heart, and knew who my kind were." Kirnardaz was trying to break it in, detail at a time, letting children know of his disposition as a demon was difficult, as they generally feared demons if he just outright burst into flame and armour, with full voice enchantments and three headed Rottweiler.

"And if they knew me, they would try and kill me, those with red eyes or red hair are persecuted in Thanatos, and my eyes are red, so they despise me. If they had met me that was. You see, I like you, am a traveller. I'm also a magician, and a scholar, I study things." Kirnardaz would slowly create a ball of flame in his hand, no corruptive energy, just pure fire, floating inches above his hand.

"Can you keep a secret?Then I will find the merchant, and deliver your belongings back to you." Kirnardaz smiled sweetly at the girl, trying not to seem creepy, but to be sincere with her. To lie and steal from a child of any age was outright wrong, and Kirnardaz was a fully blown demon. Demons didn't tend to think of things as wrong.

Hiya

Katarina listened to the mans words as best as she could, trying to remember manners her noble family taught her so long ago. Doing so without being overwhelmed with emotion was difficult. Despite how much she tried to act it, the dark haired girl was but a child kidnapped from her family 3 years ago. She'd spent a few months on the move with her captors before out smarting them and had been on the move ever since. The whole time she'd been alone, and had come to learn the fine line between not trusting someone enough to prove a threat, and trusting them enough to use them.

After hearing him speak, She was not sure what to make of the crimson-haired man. There was something he was eluding about himself, but clues were everywhere. She wanted to find out what they lead to. A religious book.... was he a spirit? An Angel? Perhaps an ancient creature? Her thoughts turned over as he began to speak again. She'd known about the red eyes and hair.... Thanatos was a place of suspicion she remember reading.
" You see, I like you, am a traveller. I'm also a magician, and a scholar, I study things."

She nodded in understanding, eager to let him know she was similar. "I am a scholar, too." It was difficult to hold in. "Is that how you set your eyes on fire? Is it just a magic trick?" She asked. The source of her own magic was biological. She knew of her elven side from her parents, but not her portion of demon blood from her father. Perhaps his ability could see the root of it.

At the mention of a secret, Katarinas Her eyes betrayed her again. They lit up with anticipation at the idea of knowing something other didn't. A longing for Camila came, and the half-elf knew her voice couldn't be trusted then. She nodded her head at the towering man. Though she had no intention letting him go alone. She'd also picked up that in order to get something right she had to do it herself, or at least be apart of it.  How else was she to learn the ways of the world?

Brisinger987

"Now, don't be scared, I am quite unlike most of my kind. You see, I am a demon. A prince to be exact, technically a king. Don't go shouting it or screaming. I am quite harmless..." He took a step back, and let the fire engulf him, his armour slowly dissolving from the air around him. He kept the helmet off. Perhaps now would be a time to bring his massive Hydra into the mix. He laughed in his head at the prospect.

"Just don't tell anyone what I am, and I will get you your possessions. I do not desire you to come with me. It would simply be suicide." Kirnardaz made his voice firm but fair, trying to work out how merchants would leave the island. Private boat no doubt, but if she knew what boat she arrived on, it would be straightforward from there.

Hiya

The sudden fire that engulfed him was what startled her the most. For the first time Katarina did not scold herself for wanting her stuffed animal. Part of it was due to her lack of reaction. She did not move away from her position, nor let out a shout. Nevermind the fact that her leg was paralyzed and she couldn't move anyways.

She observed his movements and considered his words a few moments after he was engulfed in flames. A noble had to compose her thoughts, even in dealing with a prince. She composed herself a bit more, hands balled into fists at her side. "I'm not afraid," her voice began with a hint of a shake. "If you wanted to harm me, you would've attempted to do so by now. Also, this is not your realm, so your abilities are not at their fullest." The more she spoke, the more steady her voice became. What seemed to be rationalized statements was really her just trying to convince herself.

"If you really want to help me, you won't leave me here like this. I need an antidote. My abilities aren't healing this and I need to be able to move around. If you leave me like this, there might not be anyone for you to come back to." her voice was also firm, but less tactful about hiding it. She wanted to thank him for his help.

In all honesty, Katarina wanted to be curled up with a mound of stuffed animals on her massive bed, her older brother reading one of his fictional books to her,  her sister polishing her blades in the same room, and for her mother and father to pause at the door with the rare look of peace and ease.... The girl had already come to terms with not getting everything one wanted. She'd spent years making steps to doing so herself. Now was not going to be the time she left things up to chance. She looked up at the Demon Prince. He was the only one who could get her out of the predicament she was in now. She at least had to trust him to accomplish that much. "If you help me, I can help you find something to disguise you from the other people here. We shouldn't cause more fear than needed. "

As they spoke, a group of natives were nearing the crash site and downed trees. They moved silently for t he most part. Katarina could not pick it out from the wilderness sounds anyways. Perhaps the Demon Prince was able to.

Brisinger987

"Precisely, the gods watching over this world would not allow me to push my limits. They would simply send my form and consciousness back to my realm if I tried." Strictly speaking, it was not gods, but his own realm pulling him back. His realm, was, in a sense, intelligent. It could sense and detect things, and it told him those things.

She would keep his secret, which was dangerous to know as it was. "It is a dangerous secret, so keep it secret. Now, what was the mercha-" Kirnardaz froze as he heard a noise, looking for magic. He saw one magician, and drew his swords.

"Shhhh... People are nearby... Stay back, or get down..." Kirnardaz let out a low, animalistic growl. Any of these people who tried to attack would be slaughtered and interrogated. In that order.

Hiya

"Of course I can't go anywhere," the girl let out a harsh whisper. She thought about correcting herself but was too busy looking around. She didn't see anyone. Her somewhat pointed ears were begging to pickup movement from afar. However that growl of his was getting in the way. Didn't he hear her about not causing more fear than needed? if it wasn't for her own stubbornness, she would've found away to escape from the sound of it.

She focused her large turquoise eyes in the direction the demon was growling. She could not put her finger on it, but the fact that he was of another realm did not cause her to be upset as most children. It was calming to a point. There was a small trace of Demonship in her blood after all, the family did not publicly announce it. In her most diplomatic voice, she said "If there is anyone approaching it is best to do so without weapons. We will not cause you harm. Assistance will be repaid accordingly."  Though she spoke normally, she used the wind to carry her voice forward ensuring that if anyone understood her words, they would hear them. Her voice would seem a bit louder to Kirnardaz as well.

Katarina stood, looking ahead with her posture straight and her face even. There was no hint of pain on her soft features. Had her mother seen her have such a presence after being on Katarina own for such a long time, she would've been proud. She stopped using the wind to carry her voice, but used it instead to hear more from the small group approaching.  "There will be no killing of these people," Katarina stated, looking at the weapon in his hands before fixing her gaze on him. She could not tell what dangers were coming, but she did know that threatening others into peace did not work as planned. They had to be equal. "Please. They will cooperate if they do not know our true strength." She spoke from experience. Though she was young, it was a skill she was fairly talented in.