Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You call this a party? (Simon Rae)

Started by Katie, December 06, 2013, 06:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katie

This had the distinction of being the most intolerably boring party Hayla had ever attended.

Of course, she wasn't showing it--she had manners, like any proper daughter of the Baradi house. But this was horrible. She didn't even have Mihar to dance attendance on her like a proper husband-to-be should, for he was home sick. (Her entire marriage was going to be a series of that boy being home sick. It wasn't his fault, obviously, she could hardly blame him for his illnesses, but if it weren't for his mother she certainly wouldn't be marrying him.)

Hayla stifled a sigh and sipped at her drink. Hadn't Alsiha hired a Maoin? There had been talk. But given the quality of this party, she was beginning to think he hadn't come at all. Or, more uncharitably, that Alsiha had started the rumor herself to get more attendees. I wouldn't put it past her, Hayla thought sulkily.

Well, if she was going to be stuck here--which she was, because it would be an intolerable insult to leave early, and everyone would notice and gossip and dealing with it would be such a headache--she might as well enjoy the food. She got up from the divan she'd been sitting on and made her way towards the refreshments table.

That was when she caught sight of a young man with red hair. He simply had to be a foreigner, didn't he? No one from around here came with hair that color--unless he dyed it. But what young person of good standing would do something so unfashionable? No, it had to be natural. He was an unusual enough guest that she simply had to speak to him.

Forgetting all about the food, Hayla changed course. "Excuse me," she said, smiling brightly, "May I prevail upon you to tell me your name?"

Simon Rae

The party was being held by one of the higher-class families of Thanatos. A young woman, Alsiha, if he remembered correctly, was the one the gala would be held for. Tall, open windows and glittering ornaments of gold and red. Silver snake decorations of varying substances and poses littered the walls and dangled in a gorgeous display above every guests' head. So many faces, mostly natives, are seen.

Simon glanced about the room, smiling politely, and surveyed the expressions of those in his immediate area. Most females shined with an over-polite aura, smiling to an extent it seemed painful. Simon nearly winced. The men were conversing, few danced, and spoke with women. The lustrous gala was missing something- A true meaning. A grandeur mingling was naught but such- a mingling. He thought. Few actually knew who the host was. Oh, he had seen her. That richly-dressed young woman had entered the Maoin House with a strangely tight smile, then  left to speak with his House Master.

Simon mentally shook his head of such thoughts, then used a hand to straighten his rather tight, long coat. It wasn't very heavy- a plant fiber- and cinched at his waist. The material was a glittering white with a more animal-based fabric as trim. Animal fabrics were difficult to purchase for Thanati, and Simon felt rather proud to be sporting it even as a simple, deep red, trim.   
The entire coat was light, good for the slightly breezed (but warm) weather- it buttoned only twice (directly above his diaphragm), showing off his lean chest beneath. The loose pants he wore were white as well. They tightened around his ankles, then cut off.

Ah, it is a boastful display of status! A myriad of these wondrous souls appear not for- His smile faltered. I would best contribute by playing my part. I've been hired for dance and song.

The demon straightens. His green eyes drank in the lithe form of a white-haired woman walking closer. Her shaded emerald eyes caught his own, and Simon smiles a bit wider for the guest.

"Excuse me," she said with a smile, "May I prevail upon you to tell me your name?"

Simon lifts a hand in a gesture of greeting; it is barely a small wave he makes. "Aye, Miss. My name is Simon Rae- the hired. Would you perhaps appear to request a step or song?" His eyes widen upon realising his mistake.

"Ah! Oh, oh my! I'll apologise appropriately for my ignorant mishap: What may be your title, lovely Miss?" The demon bows his head in slight shame, appropriate for the rude encounter. 'Twas not my intention to insult such a high-standing figure... I have seen this young woman elsewhere. Simon briefly ponders this, then raises his head to await her response.

Katie

He was the Maoin? Well, that wasn't something one heard every day. An expression of surprise flitted across her face. Hayla quickly covered it with a polite smile--but she wasn't quite good enough at hiding her emotions to hide it entirely.

"It's a pleasure," she said. She wondered what story there was in his past, that such an unusual man should have this occupation, but it would be horrifically rude to ask. One simply didn't bring up a Maoin's parents. Ever. It was gauche as well as being impolite.

Hayla waved a hand, dismissing his concern. "Oh, my name will do," she said, "You have a most honorable occupation, you needn't stand on titles. Simply call me Hayla. I shall be calling you Simon, after all." She didn't mention that she didn't technically have her own title yet; she was still a part of her mother's household and therefore lawfully a child. Until such time as she moved out or finally got married, she would remain so. And she hadn't the money to move out, or the inclination to get the money--so Mihar had best hurry up and convalesce.

"Now, what House did you say you were from again?"

Simon Rae

He barely registered the momentary surprise on her face. It quickly vanished. Rae took it as a good surprise and carried on. From speaking with her for mere moments he found that she must be terribly noble, a woman brought up well. The thought comforted nerves he didn't realise were on edge. I won't be conversing with a near-noble. Those has-beens or want-to-bes who want nothing but power. The thought softened his gaze.

Hayla's modesty made him stiffen a bit. Does this woman not know her gifts? Being born into a great family must surely be something more... No, Miss Hayla, your position is much higher than my own. He chose to ignore his thoughts and sate her curiosity, "House Sonath, Miss Hayla. A great family of talented beings." The last sentence was part of formalities, and would be a promotion of his household. It couldn't hurt, but Simon still wanted to wince at the sound. It was a requirement to promote the House. Simon swallows, licking his lips, and decides to change the conversation.

"Shall we have a drink? It is rumored this event has tasteful wine and the sweetest bread. I've heard it from a young noble lad but a moment before our meet, as a matter of fact!"

Katie

"Ah, I've heard many good things of this House." It was the proper thing to say when a Maoin spoke those words. Actually, she'd never heard a thing about House Sonath--it must be minor, at best. Well, it was only to be expected from someone like Alsiha. Still, a Maoin was a Maoin, no matter the prestige of their house.

"I would certainly like to," Hayla said. "Now, people must tell you all sorts of things, yes? So have you heard if there's any truth to the rumor that Lady Vadsaria's going to divorce her first husband? It'll be delicious if there is, but people do like to make things up." One couldn't trust half of what one heard about important houses like the Vadsarias. More than a few untrue rumors had circulated about her own house, in fact. (Her favorite had been the one insisting that her elder sister had been engaged to Mihar first. As if she'd take Ainee's leavings!)

Simon Rae

The Maoin presented the woman before him with a practised smile- soft with the the effectiveness of a half-grin. He waited until she finished her words and queries before he shifted his stance for a better view of the vast room; intending to snatch the attention of one of the house's few servants after answering the lady before him.

Simon then placed his left hand upon his hip, a gesture of confidence, to ease the aching need to dance or find a piano. Unfortunately, he had yet to locate on and was not well-informed by this particular house's Lord on what was required of him. He was informed by the daughter only, a rather talkative little woman, that he should appear in exchange of a reasonable amount of coin.
Simon mentally shook himself and instead focused on feeding the interest of Lady Hayla.

His smile widened a bit, intent on answering her by only entertaining the rumor-followers. He took a moment to consider her question. "I can't say I've visited the noble house, but a member of my House has. He'd say that the great Lord Vadsaria is in too poor a mental state to be considering something as scandalous as what you ask- his hunting escapades were exposed to his wife by rumor as," Simon lowered his voice, "'exploring an artisan's voluptuous eldest daughter'. I'm quite sure it was her former lady maid who started such a rumor, though." From the corner of his eye Simon spotted a passing lad bearing a plate of white wine, sparkling with a ripe, green grape at the bottom of each slender glass. "I don't believe he'd do such a thing, I'm afraid. His dear Lady Vadsaria has been duped by a bitter friend of hers- now I suppose she'll expose her husband without proof and demand repentance or divorce."

He cleared his throat, excused himself, and gently touched the shoulder of the boy. The red-head gave him a smile and thanks him, taking one half-full glass in either hand and returned to face the lady Hayla. He proffered a glass to her. "It's a shame, really. I've heard that the Lord is quite kind. His hunting escapades were something he was known to enjoy regularly as a young man."

Katie

Hayla tsked. "Such a pity," she said, "I thought Lady Vadsaria was more intelligent than that." She still might be--there was no guarantee the lady would spurn her husband. It would be terribly humiliating if she did and then found out she was wrong. Hopefully, she'd investigate quite thoroughly before she did. Hayla had little reason to wish her ill, and anyway, it would be less interesting if it happened simply because of stupidity. (She despised stupidity.)

"Thank you," Hayla said, taking the wine.

Simon Rae

Closed
My muse has disappeared, and writing changed.
Deepest apologies, Katie. I am so sorry!