Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, My Goddess!!!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"North?" Layana gave a laugh, realizing- even for her, that might be difficult to discern! She shook her head, but before she had a chance to explain, she took a step to where the bear was and as her leg bumped into it's wooden skin- the thing began to dissolve- fading into nothing but thin air.

Gasping, she fell through, gold hair and jewelry fluttering and chiming about as she fell through the remains of Jeremy- and in this ghosted state, where wood sparkled like sunlight- it incased her completely before a gush of light would blind Jocelyn and then- Layana finally collapsed into a heap upon the floor of the boat.

And all she could do was stare wide eyed through the clothe. SHe had no idea what just happened but the sensation was so strange, and the sudden burning through her flesh- painful. And if she could see, she might have noticed a permanent, magical mark burned into her body, still sizzling freshly on her flesh.

OOC: I have no idea where on her body this should be- but I was thinking some place obvious? thoughts?
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn's eyes could not grow any wider from shock as the bear literally disappeared before his very eyes. His jaw dropped and so did the wooden oar in his hand, clattering into the boat. And then that blinding light nearly seared his vision. He'd not felt such discomfort and pain since those first moments of his newfound sight, when he'd accidentally looked up into the sun.

Immediately he turned away with a gasp, shielding his vision from the blinding light. It took several blinks for him to clear his blurred vision, but in that brief moment of disorientation he heard a loud thump as Layana collapsed.

He instantly jumped over the fallen oar and over to her, falling down to his knees to cradle her head, hands inspecting for any signs of potential injury, if she had hit her skull on the side of the boat or worse. As his hands gingerly lifted her head up off the boat, his breath caught in his throat.

There, etched on her forehead and ringed by redness, was some unrecognized symbol. It looked as if it had been burned straight into her skin.

"Gods..." was all he could say.

visualspice

Layana, still in shock from it all, winced when she heard his voice.
"It.. it hurts," she said, gently reaching a hand up to touch her skin- and with drew her fingers with a cry the second it touched. "Ah! It burns!" She jerked within his hold, but did not remove herself from his arms. "Gods.. what.. what happened? What's on my forehead- why is it!?" But she could say no more, her mouth agape and trembling as all words were lost to her.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

As soon as she flinched at touching the symbol burned into her skin, his hand darted out to grab her hand. "Don't touch it," he warned, still cradling her head, "you'll make it worse."

The symbol looked very similar to what had been etched onto the now-disintegrated bear's back, but different enough for him not to fully recognize it. Indeed, a quick peek down at the soggy scroll yielded no results as well. This was something new.

"I... I don't know what it is," he admitted in a soft voice. "It's some sort of mark. Looks like a rune of some sort, but nothing I've ever seen before..."

He reached out to touch it out of sheer curiosity but caught himself at the last moment. It was obvious enough from her previous reaction that the burn was a painful one. Instead, he let his hand drop back down to his side, a frown spreading across his face.

visualspice

"WHAT!?"

If he could see hers now, he'd see how large they had become. But behind the magical scarf they remained hidden as she shook her head.

"How- why!? What.. what do you mean a symbol!?" and she touched it, lightly this time as she cringed. "Is it permanent? Burned in there?" It certainly felt like it. "We.. we have to get it off! It can't be on my face! I-" How would she explain this back to her tribe!??!?!?!

Scooping up water in her hand, she began to desperately splash it all over her forehead, getting the salty water everywhere and in a sense, burning the wound. She cried out and halted her actions, and clutched the side of the ship in despair.

"GODS!" she said, and began to sob.

"I'm going to be like this, forever!"

Cambie

A look of resolve crossed Jocelyn's features, and he sat himself firmly down in the middle of the boat. Snatching up the oar, he began paddling.

"That's not happening, not while I'm here," he declared, blue eyes staring forward in deep concentration as his arms flexed with each stroke of the oar. The boat began sailing forward, following the coast.

And then suddenly the sun began peeking over the edge of the horizon on its way up into the morning sky. A brief thought crossed his mind: sun rises east. He'd never seen the sun before, and only now did he realize... he was paddling in the wrong direction.

Biting his lip and turning red, and half-glad that Layana was too despondent to notice his error, he turned in his seat and began paddling the other way.

visualspice

They had been pretty far out at sea, but by the time the warm colors of the rising sun over took the skies, it's reflection turning both sea and sky a brilliant gold- Layana began to hear the sounds of the waves crashing on shore- a sound she could never mistaken-a nd that of the swaying leaves of the palms.

"Jocelyn.." she said, perking up. "I.. I can hear it.. Are we near land?"

Cambie

As the sun rose higher in the sky, Jocelyn began to feel the rays of heat relentlessly beating down on his brow. It didn't help that he'd gone a full day and night with little food or water, floating in this little boat out in the middle of the ocean. His shirt was becoming damp from sweat, and every so often he wiped the droplets off his forehead with a rolled-up sleeve.

"We're close to it. I'm following the coastline north, but I don't see any tree on any island yet. It might be awhile."

There was a small bend of land at the end of the beach, and the pace of his paddle strokes picked up slightly at the sight of it. His heart sank when they rounded the bend though. It seemed as though the contours of the island stretched on forever, an endless beach in front of the lush palms of the jungle. A small mountain rose up into the sky further in, but down here it was all sand. And no protruding rock.

"Can you describe this place we're headed again?" he asked her as he squinted at the distance. Maybe this whole light thing wasn't so great after all...

visualspice

"Well.. it.. I.. I know for a fact it was much farther up the coast. Northward,"s he pressed, and then clamped her mouth shut as she mulled it over. "Near by there's normally a lot of jelly fish in that area. We're not sure what draws them, but we'll know we're close once we pass that spot. You'll see.. jelly fish are like... these weird, tentacly things that you can sort of see through. I don't know how to describe them-t hey're really strange, but on mornings like this, they tend to swim near the shore line and in storms, a lot of them will get washed up on the beach. You'll have to be careful. Oh, that is, if you're in bare feet. A jelly fish can really sting you. It hurts."
She knew from experience!

Cambie

Jocelyn continued paddling as he listened to her description of the sea surrounding this destination of theirs. Of course he'd heard about jellyfish before, though not surprisingly they were extremely rare where he came from. And of course he'd never seen nor imagined them before, not with his blindness.

"I'll keep a look out for them, then," he replied, his arms tensing as he pushed the oar into the clear water again. It was amazing how he could almost see to the bottom of the water, perhaps thirty or forty feet down, and how he could see slivers of color darting this way and that as fish swam around their boat. Come to think of it, everything about having sight was amazing to him. This is totally better than being blind. Maybe he shouldn't wish for them to switch back...

By the time was directly above them in the sky, he was still paddling north with no sign of their destination. The waters didn't look any different from before, and there certainly were no traces of jellyfish around.

He was also beginning to get extremely hot under the sun, the exertion having collected many beads of sweat on his brow. Layana was seated in front of him and facing the other direction, and she still seemed a bit in a state of shock at the whole situation. She wouldn't mind it then, he concluded. Quietly he pulled his white shirt off, wrapping it around his head like a scarf to block the sun from his face.

visualspice

OOC: woo! He's stripping 8D
jk jk

---------

She hadn't heard much from Jocelyn after a while, so when he stopped paddling, she cocked her ear in his direction.
"Jocelyn?" she began, hesitantly before turning around. "Why have you stopped paddling? Do you see any jelly fish?"

Cambie

(( Psssh, she's already checked him out multiple times before. Good thing she's blind now, or her eyes would probably pop out :P ))

Jocelyn had just finished wrapping the shirt around his head when she turned around. He froze, hands still up around his head, a big ball of fabric looking ridiculous over his hair. It probably looked as ridiculous as he did right now. His cheeks turned red even through his tanned skin.

Emphatically shaking his head, he picked up the paddle and dipped it back into the water. "No, no... I was, uhh, just taking a short rest. Nothing in sight yet, the water looks like it always has."

He didn't know how long the island's coast stretched northward, or how long it would take before they came anywhere near where she said the outcropping was. What his did know right now... was that he hoped she would turn back around instead of facing him just then.

visualspice

Layana blinked, realizing he looked.. different. Though the scarf didn't allow much room for her to see all the finer details, she blurted out. "What's that thing on your head?"
And then at his question, she suggested, "How about I take a turn now? I can still paddle. Just because you've wished me blind doesn't mean your magical scarf thing.. or whatever this is, can't make me useful. Now come on, make room and gimme that paddle."
And she moved forward and took a seat, not taking no for an answer.

Cambie

"It's, uh.... it's my shirt," he finally admitted after giving her a dumbfounded stare, unable to come up with any excuse better than the true. "I thought I'd keep the sun out of my eyes."

And then realizing that she couldn't perceive light anymore, and that the only way she even knew the sun was still above her head was from the heat beating down on them, he shut his mouth in embarrassment. Instead, he simply handed the oar over into her hands. He shifted back a little for her to take his spot.

"I'll switch off with you when you're ready."

visualspice

Realizing what she was staring at, her entire face heated up and she just gaped. Not that she could see it, but she was not envisioning it and well, now her ears were red too. Realizing she was 'staring', she snapped her jaw shut.
"Er, here, I can take the paddle now if you wish, it would  be good to give you a break." And she put her arms out, ready to accept the paddle. She'd rather not reach fr it and miss and yeah...
she was keeping her hands to herself. No need for her to turn crimson all over , and paddling would help keep her mind from wondering to...

Man on bat with her without a shirt.
SURE, all Yoreiqi men from her tribe were shirtless, but she was used to seeing them that way. But no one like her she had seen shirtless before nd well- she still had some grounded roots int he prudeness that was Connlaoth and well...

Yeah, she was totally waiting for that paddle now. Any time now!

Cambie

If she felt embarrassed at the situation, then they were both lucky that she couldn't recognize the grimace on Jocelyn's face. As if this poor girl hadn't been through enough after he'd just conveniently plopped down into her boat... now this?!

Without another word he placed the oar firmly in his outstretched palm and retreated to the back of the boat where she wouldn't have to stare blankly at him. He, too, averted his gaze from her, rather staring off into the horizon and wondering how he was ever going to get off this island.

It was way too weird here.

visualspice

With some groping and hesitation, Layana eventually found a seat in the boat and, like a pro (for she really could do this blindly..) she dipped the paddle into the water and pulled the boat forward.
"Just make sure I'm keeping us pointed North. Just following the shore of the island... it shouldn't be much longer now. Just let me know if you see some jelly fish in the waters and I'll try to direct us from there."

Drawing in a breath, she realized this was going to be difficult but what else could she do? Jocelyn did not know the island and well-s he was blind. The scarf helped a little, but she could't imagine living like this forever,a nd she began to feel bad for Jocelyn and then realized....
Though sheepishly...
"So... how does it feel to.. see? You know, for the first time."

Cambie

Jocelyn glanced back up when the boat started moving forward again. He'd done a decent job of steering it (at least by his standards), but this girl was a natural. Small wonder too, she probably did this as a lifestyle along with her fellow tribespeople. Inwardly he wondered if were all tanned and fair-haired like the two of them.

"It's... it's different," he admitted as he blinked a few times and scanned the horizon. "I knew the idea of colors, but now I guess I actually understand what they are. It's a lot to take in, to be honest. Maybe too much. Things were simpler when they were just lines."

He stared at her back as she rowed, idly noting how the gold paint on her skin was beginning to chip and fade from all the water that'd washed over her.

"But it's your sight, really. When we find this other bear, I'll give it back."

visualspice

The idea, though welcomed, made her feel guilty as her stomach churned and turned cold. She hesitated only once in her stroking before continuing to push the small board forward with each stroke.

"Yes, but you've never seen colors,"s he went on, swallowing away the nervousness in her voice. "I mean, did you ever believe blue was blue like how it is in the sky? Or that white was the color of clouds? Heck, you could call my hair yellow- and yours to! OH!" it was then she realized, witha  start.
"You probably have never seen your own face before!" And such a concept was wild to her. WHat must he think?

"But don't be afraid to ask," she said, giving him a playful smirk. "I cna tell you what color each thing is... " Granted, it might be difficult to teach a blind man colors coming from a newly blinded girl-
but heck,s he knew the islands so well, she could boast just as much details blind as she did when her eyes could see.

Cambie

Jocelyn shook his head. "I mean I've heard these things before. Blue sky, blue water, green trees, white clouds, black ash. Now I understand what people actually mean."

At the mention of his own face, and at the sight of her smirk, he reciprocated with an awkward grin, a hand going up to rub at the back of his neck. "...no, I have no idea what I look like. After all, yours is the first -and only- face I've ever seen before. The only thing I've ever known about people's faces, was by touch."

At her offer, he perked up slightly. "Okay, so the bear. It was made of wood, so that's brown. What about red? Is anything around here that's red?" He certainly didn't want to cut himself and see blood to find out.