Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, My Goddess!!!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Layana gasped when she was getting splashed again, but to hear the confirming THUD of the bear entering the canoe, she felt more relieved. But upon realizing what he was doing as he took up a paddle, she gasped and suddenly grabbed it from him.
"W-wait!"

Feeling sheepish, she blinked back at the blind man. "Er.. how do you.... you know..  know which way you're going?" she asked, giving a nervous laugh and glance to his 'blind fold'.

"Besides,." here, she tucked back some o fher hair as delicately as she could before yanking the paddle from him. "I.. can't exactly go back to shore just yet."

Oh by the spirits, this was probably going to be an interesting conversation!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn gestured with one of his hands toward the distant shoreline. "I know it was strange for you to see through the Cloth, but this is all I've ever known. You just... sort of get used to it. Over there is the shore. How do I know? Because of the way the land curves around the water. The horizon is that way behind me, because all I see is a straight line."

Dipping the paddle, he got off maybe two strokes before she unceremoniously yanked the paddle out of his hands.
"Hey!"

With an eyebrow raised, he turned questioningly to face Layana. The finer details of her features were lost upon him but, through the Cloth, he could at least discern her outline and faintly discern her eyes, nose and full lips.

And, of course, that little wisp of magic within her.

Slowly, he leaned in closer, searching for answers. "So... you WERE planning on staying out here the entire time. Fascinating. Care to explain?"

visualspice

Layana gave a nervous bite into her lip.
"Well, er... it's kind of complicated. I'm doing it to commune with my parents. You wouldn't understand." She shook her head of it, sighing nervously before turning away from him. And it was then she noticed all of the gold paint beginning to rub off.

"Oh, just terrific," she grumbled, and tried to work at smoothing and polishing off the paints to fix it the best she could, but she had a feeling the efforts were futile.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn rested an elbow on his knee and propped his chin up with his hand. If he was going to be stuck on this boat with a girl and a bear, he might as well get comfortable and learn a little more about his companion. He could see her rubbing at her arms, though he couldn't tell what it was. Maybe she was cold? No, that couldn't be it. Even he was relatively comfortable in this warm climate.

The dampened body paint, when rubbed at, only seemed to smudge further. Jocelyn didn't seem to perceive it. When she spoke of her parents and then quickly brushed off the topic though, he raised a slight brow.

"Complicated, huh? Well, try me. You'll be surprised at how much I actually understand. We'll swap. You tell me about yourself, and then I'll tell you about myself."

visualspice

Layana was still fervently rubbing at her arms. She probably appeared to have fleas to the blind man, but at his question, he lifted her gaze with a bit of a flinch.
"Er... how about you go first? I've got a few feet of hair I have to wring out, not to mention I have to figure out what to do with my dress." Sighing, she was scooping up her hair in her hands and wringing out the water when she peered over at him and puffed out her cheeks as she held a breath, hoping he wouldn't get too pushy with this, you know, getting to know the other person thing. It wasn't that she minded telling others, she just had a feeling he might not believe her... yet there he was, trying to say he would. She gave an eyeroll, which she hoped he couldn't see and continued fussing over her person.

Cambie

Jocelyn sat back in the little boat, unsure of what to make of the girl sitting across from him and now fussing with her hair. There was something about her that just didn't make sense. She spoke the common tongue very well for a native of these lands, and yet was so aloof and distant in their brief conversation. And now it looked like he would be stranded out at sea with her.

With each handful of hair that she wrung out, the bottom of the boat was pattered with a gentle drip drip drip.

"You Yoreiqi folk are something else, that's for sure," he said, half to himself, before taking a breath.

"Alright then. Like I said, I'm from Serendipity. My father curates the Magical Archives in the capital city, and I work for him. I traveled south with an archaeological expedition through Adela, where I helped dig up and identify artifacts to be sent back to the Archives and helped study foreign cultures. From there, I was attached to a small military outpost and continued south doing my job. I've been through the desert, and the jungle. In fact, that was where I was coming from - by boat - when a storm took us off course."

A small bump against the hull had the blind man turning over his shoulder and reaching into the water to pull up a small wooden plank, barnacles still clinging to it. With the boat having lost any guided movement by its idle passengers, the lapping tides began drifting the boat eastward along the shoreline. Slowly it had drifted past the bend in the beach and now was beginning to slide into view of that initial stretch of land on which Jocelyn had awoken.

The wrecked little ship still lay on its side on the sand like a beached whale. More debris and driftwood had been washed onto the shore since the afternoon, and now the beach looked more like a landfill than anything else.

Jocelyn gestured toward that distant beach and shrugged his shoulders. "Well... there it is. That's how I ended up here. Finding a home will be a real blast."

visualspice

"Serendipity," she repeated the words. "Hrmm... So you're like, some sort of blind adventurer seeking old relics?" Interested now, she leaned forward to look at the man with some skepticism. He certainly didn't look too adventurous, but perhaps that was because she had seen too many tribal men adventuring, and well- they were normally twice as buff and lithe as this man. Though to be fair, they were normally dressed half-nakedly, so it was hard to tell if he was even fit for such adventurers- and oh, dear! Was she just checking him out?

"So things like Jeremy the bear here are in your line of work?" Tucking back some of her hair, she continued with her questioning. "I mean, he just looks like an ordinary bear." She eyed the bear and it's painted face a few times before tucking her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around them. "Well, an ordinary bear made of wood." She gave a bit of a crooked smile after regarding Jeremy again as the bear looked at her- his face as flat as his paint.
"So like...What sort of magic does he possess? Or, right.. you said that's what you were trying to figure out, or something. Too bad his magic isn't in the field of saving ship's from wrecking. But then again, perhaps he's a bear of luck? I mean you did manage to survive, after all. You could have gone down with the rest of the ship.."

And at the memory, any playfulness on her face faded and a thoughtful, deeper expression took her gaze outwards towards the ocean as the warm winds carried through her hair. It was something she'd rather not remember, but she still had nightmares from it. The night her own family's boat had sunk...
And it was all because of her.
Blinking back a few tears, the idle magic that began to bubble at the tops of her fingers caught her attention as she gasped and closed her hands into fists, subduing the magics threatening to rise before she realized something important and turned to her new companion.

"Your father wasn't on the ship was he?"
Oh! How terrible if he was to suffer the same fate as she!

Cambie

"Blind adventurer seeking old relics... it's a little general, but that does pretty much sum it up," he replied with a slight laugh of amusement. Reaching over, he gave the bear another loving pat on its wooden head.

"This bear here - Jeremy to you - is one of two bears that we excavated, along with several other totems. There was a hawk, a wolf, and I think a salmon but I'm not exactly sure. They all possess some magic in them, but I hadn't been able to figure them out yet. And if this bear really is a lucky charm, then the ship wouldn't have sank in the first place..."

He let out a slow exhale and glanced back over to the beach, where the wreckage of his ship lay. He was lucky enough to have washed up on this beach and been saved by this young lady, but the ship had a crew of six. Inwardly he hoped against hope that they also survived the storm, but reality cautioned him against being so fanciful. The expression on his face turned somber as he shook his head.

"No, thankfully not. I'm sure my father is just fine at home, doing whatever it is he does these days. But the ship had other men on it, men with families. I hope they made it. Henrik, the captain, has two daughters in Adela. I'd been traveling with him for four years."

If he sensed the magic bubbling from her fingertips, Jocelyn didn't show any outward signs to acknowledge it. He did, however turn back to face her. There was a marked change in her tone of voice, and it was beginning to seem clear that this was a topic that neither of them wanted to think about.

visualspice

The somber silence between them lasted for a lot longer than Layana had wished, but once her nerves got the better of her, she changed the subject.
"So there might be more bears like Jeremy floating in the water? Perhaps we can scout the wreckage to find out." Though she regretted offering that after she said. She wasn't allowed to go back to the island after all.

Cambie

If she regretted her offer, Jocelyn certainly recognized it. "I thought you couldn't go back yet. But yes, there might be others floating around. All of them are made of wood, or were packaged in wooden crates."

A grin. "If you like this bear, you'll love the second. It's twice the size."

Again, he peered toward the wreckage on the beach. From this distance, the grey lines that he saw through the Cloth all blended together into one mass, and he couldn't really tell what was there and what wasn't. They'd have to get closer.

"Maybe they washed up here. If not, they're probably all over the island."

visualspice

"Er.." she found herself cringing when he had to remind her. "Yeah, right, I have to remain out here for the next three days." Which made her sigh and puff her bangs away from her face. But when he went on to tell her there was another bear, she gaped.
"Another bear!? And larger!?" Her eyes glittered at the thought. She could only imagine!
"So what sort of lost civilization were you studying anyway? I'm not familiar with the art style of Jeremy here." And she gave the wooden bear a pat. "Definitely not Yoreiqi." And certainly nothing like what she remembered during her time in Connlaoth.

Cambie

Jocelyn seemed sit up a little straighter when given the opportunity to explain an ancient culture. He fussed over the sleeves of his shirt, rolling them up to just below the elbow.

"We don't have a name for them yet, but these were a tribal people of the jungles of Kishahn. At first we thought they were migratory, until we stumbled upon this old temple that they built deep within the bushes and vines. It was a really simple thing: stacks of rock and wood in front of a shallow cave. But inside we found a perfectly round chamber ringed with these totems. As soon as I crawled into that room, I could feel the magic still lingering.

"What we think is that these natives believed in the animal spirits and carved animal totems to capture them and harness them for their own use and protection. You can see the carvings along Jeremy's back, running down his spine. It might be their language, but we don't know."

He turned his gaze to their bear friend and gave a smile. "This little bear was to the left of a pedestal, on which the second bear sat. There were a dozen other animals, but most of them were either broken or rotted away with time. We salvaged the rest. Whatever magic is inside him, I made a vow to find out."

And the rest of them... well, if the fortunes smiled upon him then they survived the shipwreck and were also washed up on this island somewhere.

visualspice

Layana stared curiously at the line art, her hands ghostly over top of them before turning her blue eyes back to Jocelyn's blind fold.
"If it were a language, could you eventually decipher?" she asked, finding herself hungry with curiosity, and hungry as well, as she leaned forward excitedly within her perch upon the seat of her boat when her stomach let out a hungered growl.

"Er, ignore that. It was probably Jeremy," she said, giving him a lop-sided grin. "But this is really interesting. Though it's a shame- to think, your ship sunk and may have taken some of those artifacts with it." And she gave a saddened sigh at that. "Perhaps after this ritual is over," she added, irritably as she leaned agaisnt the side of the boat. "We can take a look along the shore line and see what's come up."

Cambie

Jocelyn hesitated and shrugged his shoulders again as he glanced over to the idle bear carving. So many mysteries left to be solved! "Eventually, but who knows how long it could take? At least for me, I'm better at deciphering their language of magic than their actual speech."

The grumble from her stomach was too obvious and even he had to shoot her a smile of amusement. It was getting late in the day after all. They were coming more into view of the littered beach now, and he too wistfully leaned against the side of the boat and peered to the distant wreckage. So much to do...

"So exactly how long do you have to stay on this boat for your ritual? Until sundown? Until the morning?"

visualspice

Layana couldn't believe he'd smirk at her hunger, but she supposed it was quite funny, even as her stomach let out another loud grumble again.

"Er, try three days?" she said, giving a hesitant laugh and pat to her belly. "And three days of nothing but waiting and floating in the water, hoping it just doesn't rain or I'd be even more miserable. Though I suppose I'm sort of fortunate. I do have a bear now." she said, giving Jeremy a pat and as she patted it, those pats became quieter until her hand stilled and she swallowed an awkward lump that formed in her throat.
"Well, seems a bear and a young man," she then added, giving an awkward sniff as she down cast her eyes to the boat's bottom were her bare feet idly curled into the waters that had collected since the boat had last turned over.

Ugh, he probably wasn't going too happy finding out how long he actually had to stay in that boat with her. But hey- could he really complain? She DID just save his life. Kinda.

Cambie

Though she likely couldn't see it because of the Cloth tied around his head, Jocelyn did widen his blind eyes at the news.

"Three days out here? And without food or drink?!" A hint of incredulity tinged his words as he sat up a bit straighter. And he had to stay on the boat that entire time? Well, the ritual certainly didn't say that he could not eat or drink (and if it rained, there would be plenty of fresh water, but the boat could very well sink!). But obviously he couldn't eat or drink in front of her. That would just be cruel.

A small forlorn sigh escaped his lips as he slumped back against the side of the boat again. It would be a tough test.

But she DID save his life, after all. The least he could do was to defer to whatever it was she had to do out here. Running a hand through his disheveled hair again, he offered her a nonchalant smile.

"If it makes it any better, I'll try not to disrupt any more of your ritual. And at least you'll be in good company. The bear is a terrific conversationalist."

A glance to Jeremy. "Two days... maybe we can figure out his secrets in that time."

visualspice

Layana felt guilty when she heard the tone in his exclamation, but could she blame him?
Hrm... nope! Especially if she were in his shoes, she'd think she was a little crazy. Delicately tucking back more of her blonde hair (which the ocean winds so graciously kept blowing into her face), she gave a nod as she grimaced, but hten was soon flashing a sheepish smile.

"Yep, three days."

THough at his comment about Jeremy, she smirked, though at the comment about finding out his secrets, her lips fell open. And here she had been considering rowing him back to the island at nightfall so at least HE could be on dry land- but the idea of uncovering Jeremy's secrets made her giddy.

"Really!?" she said, leaning forward eagerly int he raft, which made it rock and shake as the bear threatened to topple over. "You think you'd really be able to discover something while we're biding our time on this boat?"

Oh, how exciting! And here she was dreading these three days! What luck!

Cambie

Jocelyn solemnly nodded his head. "To be honest, I should have deciphered the secrets of these totems before I ever put them on a ship. Then at least I wouldn't be left wondering about what could have been."

He really did hope he found those other totems. Well, at least the Akya-Akya bear to delve over. Or Jeremy. That name was beginning to grow on him.

As the boat rocked again, he adjusted his seat ever so slightly to balance it out. With two individuals maneuvering throughout, and a heavy bear carving messing up the balance, it would take some teamwork to not capsize the boat a second time.

"Well, my mistake is our gain. There has to be a way to activate the magic trapped inside the bear - I can feel the latent energy in Jeremy. But we can't just go pressing at every inch of it. We don't want to risk it being something nasty, or blowing up, or anything like that."

visualspice

"Activate it? So like some sort of magical trigger or switch on it perhaps?" Layana mused, looking the painted bear over as her hands fondled across it- that was, until he mentioned it could release something nasty and her hands retracted.

"B-blow up?" She looked HORRIFIED, her eyes becoming larger than the great fire mountain of the island.

Cambie

While he could only see the outline of her face, and thus only a hint of her horrified expression, Layana's voice said it all.

"Whoooaaa," Jocelyn replied urgently, raising his hands up in innocence. "I didn't mean that Jeremy WOULD blow up. I'm just saying... we have to be careful when dealing with artifacts. You never know what kind of magic is stored in these things."

And he certainly knew all about 'these things'. And through personal experience, no less. Especially that time in Essyrn, when his expedition had lost two local men hired as diggers when an obelisk they triggered consumed them in a ball of poison.

But he certainly couldn't tell her that! She'd have a fit!

Smiling sheepishly, he added a reassuring "I bet Jeremy's harmless."

Tags: