Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Oh, My Goddess!!!

Started by visualspice, January 03, 2014, 05:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Layana leaned away from Jocelyn and made a face at him.
"What? Are you crazy? Use my power on him? But what if something even crazier happens?"
Peering over at the wooden bear, she frowned. Jeremy was still being silent. "I'm almost afraid to touch him again now," she said with a hesitant tucking back of some of her blonde hair.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Jocelyn laughed now as he pointed to the bear, his voice growing more and more excited.

"But the mystery of it is the best part! Aren't you even a little bit curious about what this bear is supposed to do? Where's your sense of adventure?"

She seemed to have grown a bit tentative though, so Jocelyn turned his attention back to the carving. He had sensed the bear's unique magical threads convalescing and swirling in a myriad of patterns when they'd somehow activated the patterns. However, everytime the bear had stopped talking, the magical signature had faded into nothing.

He needed to activate it again, so that he could figure out its source and its purpose.

"Now what did I do to wake Jeremy up that first time?" he asked himself aloud. Without waiting for any protest from Layana he dipped his hand into the cool seawater and began tracing over the different runes again, one by one. The snake, the claw marks... one by one he traced them.

visualspice

Seeing what Jocelyn was doing, she gasped and grabbed onto his hand.
"What are you doing?!"

"Yes, what are you doing, Jocelyn?" the bear replied in monotone with glowing blue eyes again. "That tickles."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

The multi-layered voice of Jeremy sent a shiver down Jocelyn's spine and he grinned sheepishly.

"Oh, hehe... you were awake this whole time... okay, so how does this wishing work? Do I just wish for something and you grant it? What do you mean by 'wish giver'? What happens to Layana?" He fired off the questions in rapid succession before catching himself and looking over to Layana.

OOC: I have noooo clue what the bear's supposed to do, so... it's all yours! :P

visualspice

The bear went silent for a long while.

"Maybe you broke it," Layana whispered when suddenly the eyes glowed again. Instincts had her clinging to Jocelyn.

"You found Tan'nuh-ku. You will become blessed by him. She awoke Tan'nuh-ku. She will work with him."
And then the bear went silent.

Layana sighed through flapping lips.
"Yeah, I still don't get it." She said, and peered over at Jocelyn. "Well, got any more ideas in that blonde head of yours?"

Cambie

Jocelyn slowly turned his head to look at the girl clinging to his arm.

"I guess the only idea we need now is what kind of wish we want. Well... that I want, since it's my wish, but we could share it."

His brow furrowed slightly. "He did say you will work with him though. What that means, I have no clue. Maybe that scroll might tell us more."

The more they looked at the scroll though (or the more she looked at it; his only knowledge of its contents came from Layana describing it to him), the less things became clear. With a sigh, Jocelyn glanced furtively at the bear and mumbled, "Could you be any more vague? I know you're ancient and mysterious but... come on! I wish I could find all your sister artifacts and figure you out... maybe they'd be more helpful."

visualspice

"Tan'nuh-ku has no sisters," the bear sounded almost defiant in it's reply. Layana sighed again. "Yeah.. um.. let's keep looking into this scroll to see if we can't figure it out. I'd hate to find out what the consequences are after the fact. I'm sure you've heard the story about the three wishes."

Tan'nuh-ku's eyes lit up.
"Jocelyn can get more than three wishes. One of sun would give until end. One of sun would help Tan'nuh-ku." ANd he went quiet.

Layana made a face. "Um.... I don't like this idea of.... giving,"s he admitted, staring at Jeremy skeptically. "It's not like I volunteered."

"The magic has been sealed. Fate, granted." And that was all he said as Layana went quiet and felt her stomach become cold.

"I... don't like this. Maybe we should put the bear back into the ocean."

Then a moment later, the bear informed. "Fate has been sealed."
Then a pause, as he added. "One of sun."

Cambie

"One of sun... so is that me or you?"

That was the problem with the bear having labeled them both that, though Jocelyn still didn't understand why he had been given that designation as well. After all, she was the one with the rituals! All he was was a simple explorer and scholar.

A slight frown also crossed his face as he slowly nodded his head. "'One of sun would give until end.' You're the wish giver... does that mean you have to give until you... die?"

Maybe this bear was cursed after all. Maybe they SHOULD throw it back in the ocean. Or burn it. A knot formed in his own stomach at the thought. No artifact should ever be desecrated in such a way!

visualspice

"Yeah, I think Jeremy should go back into the ocean!" she said, suddenly deciding this and stood up and began to move over to the bear. And as she did so, the eyes suddenly lit up, as did the runes on his body, and Layana froze in place. ANd as she looked at the bear- one might realize the same blue as the bear's eyes was similar to hers.. though it might have just been a coincidence.

"You are both of the sun. Layana, of magic. You of sight."

Layana grimaced at that, but found herself only hesitating for a moment.
"Yeah, let's dump him into the ocean."A nd as she tried, Jeremy's eyes remained glowing.

Cambie

The hair on the back of Jocelyn's neck stood on end at the comment about his sight. Standing up so suddenly that the boat rocked dangerously back and forth, he shook his head and bristled with indignation.

"Of sight, huh? That's really funny, you stupid bear. You're right, Layana, this thing DOES need to go back into the ocean."

As he precariously made his way to her end of the boat, balancing his shoeless feet on the damp wooden planks, he muttered angrily under his breath, "Boy do I wish I could see..." And as he reached down to grab the other end of the bear, the totem's eyes sparked and flashed a brilliant blue, almost as blinding as the setting sun on the horizon.

At first he sensed the bear's magical signature coalescing again into a tight ball of thread. Then suddenly it shot out in both directions, its tendrils coursing through both Layana and himself.

And then all he saw was light. His eyes widened and he let out an audible gasp.

visualspice

At the flash of light Layana flinched back, abandoning her mission to dump the bear, but her abruptness sent the boat rocking. And while the light display became a fanfare in the evening sky, it soon spread between the pair of them- weaving in and out dangerously fast.

The threads of light that entered her made her veins burn and her skin tingle- and she felt a heat surge within her. And when the light fanfare went out, she didn't even have time to scream as she went over board with a splash.

And as the boat settled onto the ocean, leaving only Jeremy and Jocelyn, the bear stared back at the artifacts hunter in silence.

"Your wish has been completed."
And his eyes went out and everything went quiet.

Cambie

Jocelyn could still see the soft grey and black lines of the Cloth, but now there was something else that he couldn't quite grasp, some sensation in his eyes that almost gave him a headache. Slowly, from behind the Cloth his eyes opened and he perceived something that he'd never known before. Was that... fabric?

He reached up to his face and tore the Cloth from around his eyes. Immediately he let out a shocked cry and stumbled back a step, falling square on his behind on the bottom of the boat. The vibrant colors of the sky, the depth and distance of the sea as it lapped around him, the searing light of the setting sun when he inadvertently looked into it.

He almost felt sick from the sheer weight of it. His heart began racing as if in panic.

"By the Gods..." he whispered under his breath, eyes still wide in shock as he fought to grasp at the realization: for the first time in his life, he could see.

There was the bear, sitting across from him, its dull brown wood reflecting some of the fading sunlight. The textures, the minute details of its scratched surface... everything was so detailed, so resoundingly vibrant. The water stretching forever, it was translucent and yet opaque, the gradient of colors changing in such tiny amounts the deeper he looked. His mouth gaped open and a dizziness overtook his body.

And then he realized that the boat was rocking gently side to side, with only two occupants. No sign of another human.

"...Layana?"

visualspice

As she continued her plummet deep into the ocean, she never recalled it being so dark and scary before- that was, until she remembered to open her eyes- and the burning bubbles of the ocean was all she could feel- for her sight never returned to her. Gasping, she drew in water and began to panic as she floundered about. Though being from the islands, she knew how to swim well enough but she was turned upside down and knew not which way to swim, and as she was kicking wildly about, she eventually found the waters inside her mouth, filling her up and soon, choking her to a deathly silence as a few weak strokes of her arms beat into the waters.

Was she drowning? Panic had her thinking over so many things and when she finally broke the surface of the water, she coughed and coughed, sputtering out water and gasping for sweet air.

Cambie

A feeling of panic set in as Jocelyn frantically peered around for any signs of Layana. As far as he could tell, the waters were no more or less disturbed than by the evening tides lapping back and forth. He turned his gaze to the bear.

Notwithstanding the feeling of elation and awe to recognize that he was actually looking at the bear, he shouted at it, "WHAT DID YOU DO?!"

Silence.

Falling back against the side of the boat, he frantically peered all around him, at the distant clouds in the sky, at the droplets clinging to the side of his hand. It still hadn't hit him that he could finally see. But had it been worth it?

Something broke the water's surface just to the side of the boat, and turning his now-blue eyes in that direction he spotted the figure of Layana sputtering and struggling in the water. His orbs widened: her hair, her skin, her features... it was not at all how he imagined her to look, and certainly not what the black and white outline of the Cloth would have suggested. That reverie lasted only a second before he realized she was drowning.

Without a thought he stood in the boat and dove into the cool water. The salt of it burned his eyes and had him cringing underwater, but powerful kicks and strokes quickly brought him over to the girl. He wrapped a strong arm around her waist and pulled her closer to the surface as he desperately kicked for the little boat that was beginning to float away with the waves. Reaching it, he grasped at its side with a free hand and struggled to pull Layana up into it. Jocelyn grappled with the boat for a moment before finally succeeding on the second try, and both of them tumbled into the bottom of the boat.

He lay there gasping for air as well, stinging eyes still held wide open as he stared up into the sky and fought to regain his bearings.

visualspice

Once inside the boat, Layana turned to her side and pushed herself up on her hands as she coughed out the salty water. Gods, did her throat ever burn, and the sea breeze caused her to shiver as her skin prickled with bumps. And her blond hair was plastered to her head, and suctioned to parts of her shoulder and body as rivlets of water gushed down her form, collecting with the rest of the salty waters in the bottom of their boat. And as she lifted her gaze up to him, he'd be able to see her crystal blue eyes and painted, gold skin, and the faint remnants of tattooes beneath it.

Though her eyes hadn't turned cloudy like his had, it was evident in her stare she was looking past him and not on one thing in particular.

"Gods.. "s he said, trembling as she choked on her tears. She lifted a hand to her face, touching at her cheek and around her eyes before poking them and letting out a gasp. Then furiously, she rubbed at her eyes but no matter what she did, nothing. Her vision remained in blackness.

Tears sparkled across the surface at this realization as she choked on her own breath while hot tears fell down her cheeks. And though Layana might have looked every bit of the Goddess of beauty she was proclaimed to be... she was significantly less so in the moment, but even soggy waters and hysterics did not mar her beauty.

Too bad it didn't matter to HER if he could see her. And she was too upset to even speak or care.
"Gods!" she said after at time, raking her hand through her hair. "I... I.. I can't see anything!"

Cambie

It occurred to Jocelyn that Layana's skin was oddly patterned and colors. Not the tattoos, the concept of which he certainly understood, but the flecks of gold plastered on the tanned bronze. Was that normal? Was it what skin really looked like? He peered down at his own hands, dripping with water, but they didn't have those little gold tinges to them, just a flat tone. Her face, too... what he knew of faces he'd either barely distinguished through outlines or through the sense of touch. Hers was the first face he'd ever fully comprehended, and it nearly made his heart leap into his throat.

And then he realized she was crying. Sitting up quickly with a sick feeling in his stomach and, between hurried breaths, exclaimed, "What? Let me see!" Without even bothering to ponder on those exact words he used, he slid across the watery boat and took her face in his hands, peering deep into those orbs of hers. They looked like they were made from the same water as the ocean, and had him gulping in awe. His thumbs rubbed lightly over where the hot tears were pouring from her eyes.

The realization hit him that she was looking through him, like how he probably must've looked like for so many years.

"The bear..." he finally concluded in a distressed voice, "he must've done this. I can see everything and you're... you're...."

Reaching back, he fumbled for his magical Cloth, lying motionless in a small puddle of seawater. Jocelyn snatched it up and wringed the liquid from it before awkwardly wrapping it around her eyes and around her matted blonde locks. And then he took her hand and gave it a squeeze, even as a lost expression took over his features.  It wasn't much, but it had to do.

visualspice

It was just too much for her to take in. The fall, the sightlessness, this eternal black. Layana could not stop sobbing, even as Jocelyn held her face and brushed at the tears.

"Gods.." she managed to croak between sobs, her lips trembling as she tried to feebly blink back tears- but only more had come.
Though when she felt Jocelyn move away, she gasped and reached out from him, but when she felt his body, the warm touch of his skin as he returned, she gasped when the magical clothe was placed over her eyes and the fuzzy, lined images of the world came into view-

and she was not ready for that, her head growing light in a rush, and before she knew it, her arms were pinwheeling as she was losing balance- her body threatening to spill over board again.

Cambie

When she started to flail, Jocelyn quickly took her by the shoulders to steady her. The Cloth took some getting used to, and being out here on a boat didn't help. He made up his mind then.

"Look, Layana... this is all my fault, but I'll find a way to fix this. Just try not to move too much until you're used to what you see through the Cloth. I know you said you have to stay out here on the water, but... it's not safe here, not in this condition. I'm paddling us to shore."

And once again he picked up the paddle to the boat and began rowing the two of them (plus one stationary bear) toward the littered beach in the distance. He, too, was beginning to get a headache from the colors and dimensions of actual sight. If she wasn't used to the blurry lined view of the Cloth, he definitely wasn't used to the real world. Biting his lip to quell the roiling in his stomach, he strained his muscles to row as fast as he could toward shore.

He glanced over to her every few seconds to make sure she was holding up alright. He'd never seen someone's skin turn pale before, but even he knew it wasn't a good thing.

"I'll fix this, I promise."

visualspice

Layana was so terrified, she remained, trembling while her knuckles turned white as she gripped the side of the boat. Her tears were already beginning to soak the clothe about her face, and it wasn't until  a good twenty minutes in did she realize..

"WAIT NO! JOCELYN, STOP!"
Standing up suddenly, she gave a yelp and fell onto his lap. She groped around, grabbing his arm and shook her head.
"I.. I can't go onto shore! Not yet! It hasn't been three days..."

Cambie

When she landed in his lap, Jocelyn dropped the wooden oar into the bottom of the boat, where it clattered and lay in a puddle of salt water. The boat continued slowly drifting toward shore but soon slowed up in the tides. He could feel her shivering against him, and not from the cold; she was genuinely petrified.

"Look, I still think you need to get off this boat," he protested. "Are you absolutely sure you want to stay out here?"

How could he argue with her, seeing as all of this was his doing? Despite all the years of convincing himself that blindness was barely a disability and that he was just as capable as any person, he secretly knew that he wouldn't wish it on anyone.