Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Up for Interpretation

Started by Alegretto, March 07, 2014, 05:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alegretto

((OOC: Oh there it is under society *clearly didn't look hard enough and fails*. Sorry about that Rhi. On another note, so you did use the traditional Polynesian greeting. I was considering having him use that just cause it seemed to fit the theme of Yoreiqi society XD))

Ritskin listened to the boy's long-winded introduction and subsequent questions. He found himself liking the kid. The boy was personable, even if he was a bit goofy. And skinny. Not skinny as in thin, just covered in skin. Ugh.

But he shouldn't hold that deficiency against him. When the boy mentioned food his fin perked up. His exertions had made him hungry and he could use a bite to eat. And if this boy was any good as a shaman, maybe he could do something about that back pain he felt in the mornings sometimes...

But first he needed to get dressed again. He was well aware how little concern mammals would for his exposed scales, but that didn't mean that he should give up on his modesty.

"I'll take you up on those offers Tama." he gave the boy a toothy grin. "But I gotta head back to my shack to get a new coat before that." He thought for a moment about what they could to. "Do you cook well? I have some supplies back at my house." It would be a relief if he could. Cooking was not Ritskin's specialty. He could do it, but... well... he was usually better off leaving it to others when he had the chance.

Rhindeer

Aha! Finally something he could do! If there was one thing Tama loved, it was feeling useful, and he had felt a tad useless after being carried to the dock after that debacle. But cooking?

"I cook great!" he said with a wide grin, feathers fluffing out with pride.

"I can cook a lot of things! Of course it'll depend on what you have, but I'm sure I can make something! Haha, I kinda was the one that always wound up doing that, you see. My sister haaates it! And...uh...yeah! Point is I can cook," he finished, realizing abruptly that such a simple question didn't require a long-winded answer of details Ritskin didn't even ask for!

"Just lead the way, mate! Oh, what kinds of things do you like, anyway?" After all, the guy was some sort of lizard person. Maybe he didn't eat the same things as he did. Maybe he ate... "Um. Not bugs, I hope. I don't know how to cook bugs."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Alegretto

Ritskin smiled along with Tama. Good food was always a pleasure. If this boys was as good as his confidence dictated, then he'd have a good meal tonight.

"What do I have?" he parroted Tama's question. He was thinking on an answer when he realized that the boy was still going on. And what did he like to eat? Not bugs? "Well to answer your first question, I have some fish, some seaweed, some assorted fruits, and poa. As for the second, I guess I like fish. Which is why I have stores of it. And I don't really like bugs, rest assured." he said that last part with a laugh.

He started walking. "C'mon, it'll be best for you to see for yourself. My house is this way." It wouldn't take the pair very long to arrive, they hadn't exactly swum all that far. Ritskin was looking forward to eating. And to getting some clothes on. The Yoreqi weather wasn't cold, it was very rarely cold, but he still felt uncomfortable in only his small clothes. Force of habit, probably.

Rhindeer

Tama trotted along beside Ritskin, already planning a meal in his head. He gave silent thanks to his ancestors that the man didn't eat bugs!

"Let's see, I'm thinking, if you have some fish, and if you have coconut and lime, I can make a mean soup!" For though citrus wasn't native to Yoreiq, traders had brought the fruit over and it had quickly become popular in many dishes. "Do you like coconut? I know some people are weird about coconut. But if you don't like it, all we need is the milk, not the flesh! Trust me, it's good."

Hopefully he would dry out some by the time they reached Ritskin's home. He didn't want to drip all over his home! Thankfully, the weather was pleasantly warm, and he fanned his wings as he walked, hoping they would catch the air and dry faster.

There was little worse than going to bed with damp wings.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Alegretto

As Tama spoke of the ingrediants he needed, Ritskin considered his stores in his head. He definitely had some fresh-ish fish, and some coconut. Lime he was pretty sure he didn't have, but it would only be a short trip to the market.

"Coconut's no problem Tama," he winked at the Yoreiqi boy, "I guess I'm not one of those people you've mentioned. Still, I don't have any of that or lime at home," he kept walking, but then realized that his words might cause his young friend some concern. "Oh don't worry though, I'm pretty sure we'll have an easy time of getting both. I have a neighbor who keeps coconuts and I can run out to get some limes from the port." He thought for a moment, "If there in season, that is."

It was so hard to keep track of the Le'raanan seasons on Yoreiqi. and factoring in the trip time from the continent to the islands only increased the difficulty. "I think there might still be some from this year's crop, though they might be a bit old by now. I'll ask around."

Rhindeer

"It should be okay even if they're a little oldish," Tama said with a shrug. "All I need is the juice. See, you can kind of cook the fish with lime juice! Don't ask me how, it just works, and it's delicious. My grandma showed me how--spirits, but she makes the best food! I'm just hoping I can learn all her secrets while she's still around."

Goodness, all this talk was making him hungry! It was amazing what a day of sex and almost getting beaten to a pulp did for one's appetite.

"Of course, if you can't get the stuff, I can just make do with what you have. I'm pretty good at figuring out what tastes good together! Why, if I wasn't slated to be a healer, I could just deal in hunting and cooking. Maybe hunting. I'm not sure. My sister says I don't have the heart for it. So maybe just cooking. Ah! I'm sorry, I'm rambling! Hey, look, I've prattled on a bunch about me, what about you? I've never seen someone like you before--I say that in the best of ways, I promise! But I've never really been to these parts before, either."

Alegretto

Tama' words elicited a chuckle from Ritskin. He really was a chatty boy, wasn't he. Not that the Kobold minded. He liked chatty folk. It was one of the reasons he loved Yoreiq so much.

His last question brought out a full-on laugh. "I would be surprised if you saw anyone like me out here," he told the boy. There aren't a whole lot of us even in our native land, and this surely isn't it."

His eyes took on a misty look for a moment. "I think I said this already, but I'm a foreigner. Came from the continent, and a country called Serendipity."

"You've probably never heard of it," he said with a chuckle, "but it's a pretty big place. Many species live there, including mine. We're called Klabautermann." The name would sound totally foreign to the boy, as the Yoreiqi had no word for such species, but Ritskin knew that.

"Before you ask, it loosely translates to ship's Kobold or something along those lines. And before you ask, Kobold's are a species of lizard-like humanoids of many varieties, whose classification I happen to fall under."

He looked at Tama carefully. This was a lot of information to take in and he wanted to make sure the boy was understanding it at least a little bit. "Does that answer your question, Tama?"

Rhindeer

"Clobber-man?" Tama said, slaughtering the word and wrestling with trying to keep a straight face. But his lips twitched, betraying him, and he struggled to recover before he could give away more. That would just be rude, laughing at the name of Ritskin's people!

"No, no, that answers the question, thanks! So there's more of you, and you come from..." He furrowed his brow. "Seren...whatever." Yeah, he'd never heard of that place. "That's a long way away. What made you decide to come this way? And away from all your people, too..."

He couldn't fathom leaving his own home, his family, and being in a new world full of strangers. That sounded awfully scary.

Alegretto

Ritskin gave Tama a bemused grin as he butchered the name of his people and home country. It didn't really bother him, it wasn't really the boy's fault since there were sounds in the words that the Yoreiqi just didn't use, but he was a little put out by kid's quick grin.

He thought that it was a little unnecessary.

Still, the kobold decided to let it pass. The conversation was moving on anyway. "What made me decided to come here huh," he parroted the boy's question. "Well that's a long story Tama. Are you sure you want to hear it? We're almost at my place," he indicated with a nod a small house standing near the edge of the port. "Maybe I can tell it to you over dinner?"

Rhindeer

"I like stories," Tama said with an easy grin, and fluffed out his feathers a little so the air would get between them better. "And I can do long. I don't know anything about this like...whole other world, or about your people, and hey!"

He winked. "What can I say? I'm curious about my brave rescuer!"

Alegretto

Tama's words made Ritskin laugh. "Stop trying to puff up my ego boy, I'm a little too old for that." He brought his laughing down to a chuckle as he walked up the steps to his house. "So this is my place," he told Tama as he led him inside, "food's stored in the pantry behind the kitchen. Cooking supplies are in there too. Now, I'm gonna head to the marketplace and see what I can do about those limes. Do you have any questions before I leave?"

Rhindeer

As they entered Ritskin's home, Tama tucked his wings in tight against his back so he didn't knock anything over. He'd broken more than one item that way, and it would be pretty mortifying to tear up his rescuer's home.

"Whoa, you're old? No way!" Tama gasped, clapping a hand over his mouth and staring with wide eyes. "Why, you don't look a day older than--" He paused, face screwing up in thought; he didn't know how kobolds aged. Leaning in toward Ritskin, he said in a stage whisper, "Hey, what's a flattering age to your people? Because you don't look a day older than that! Heh, I kid, I kid. Anyhoo..."

Turning in a small circle, he examined Ritskin's place and then went off to shuffle through the pantry, checking to see what Ritskin had and what they might need. "Hmm, I think I'm good. Oh, I'll need those coconuts, too. But other than that, you look pretty set. I can at least start on the preparations; I should be done with that by the time you get back."

Alegretto

((OOC: Sorry for not setting the scene inside the house, that was my fault))

Upon walking into the house, Tama would be confronted with several things interesting to an inquisitive Yoreiqi. Oddities like a looking glass, several books, a compass, and some other artifacts that would be quite uncommon on this island filled the room. They sat on top of the sparse furniture in the room, a small bed with a nightstand and a wooden bookshelf tucked in the corner.

Ritskin watched Tama go to the pantry in the back of the room. The door to it was the only one in the room other than the front entrance, since the house was only really one big room. The boy had to step past the small kitchen area to reach the pantry, and Ritskin saw that he seemed to be pretty sure of himself in here.

"Alright then, if you're all set, I'm gonna head down to the market." and so saying, Ritskin left the house and set out to find what Tama needed.

Rhindeer

[Oh, you're fiiiine! xD]

While Ritskin went off to fetch the needed ingredients, Tama prepared what he could with what he had. He got the fish gutted, skinned, and cleaned, and chopped up some vegetables he found that would go good in the soup. After that, though, it was a matter of waiting. He couldn't start the soup properly without the coconut milk or lime, so until Ritskin got back, it just had to be on hold! He did find some taro, though, and managed to get it good and mashed up, adding only enough water to make it doughy, with a little sugar from sugar cane to sweeten it. It would be a nice little dessert to go with the main meal.

With that taken care of, and with nothing left to do but wait, Tama took the time to investigate Ritskin's strange dwelling. He hadn't wanted to look all googly-eyed while the kobold was around, but now that he was gone, he took to examining some odds and ends.

He flipped through some books, interested in the illustrations and perplexed by the writing, and when he tired of that, he took to playing with the compass. It was so weird! The arrow kept pointing in one direction, no matter which way he turned it. Brow furrowed, Tama walked with it, turning in different directions and trying to puzzle it out. It surely meant something, and it surely did something, but its function was a mystery to him.

Was he supposed to follow where it pointed or something?

Because if so, that was stupid. It was pointing straight at a wall!

Alegretto

It hadn't been easy to secure the limes, like Ritskin had worried they were almost out of season, but he managed to scrounge some up from the port that looked reasonably edible.

He got the coconuts from his neighbor on the way back. The kindly mother of the house was more than willing to share some of the fruit with him, as all Yoreiqi were willing to share pretty much anything. That had been one of the more difficult Yoreiqi cultural quirks to acclimate to, but Ritskin felt that he had gotten pretty well used to it.

When he opened the door to his home, he was surprised to see Tama messing around with his compass. He couldn't help but laugh at the puzzled expression on the boy's face, but he tried to suppress it as much as possible. "I got the limes and coconuts Tama, hope I grabbed enough." He walked over to the boys side. "You curious about that? How about I explain what it does while you finish cooking?"

Rhindeer

Tama had been so absorbed in puzzling out the compass that he didn't hear Ritskin open the door. He did, however, hear his laugh, and it made him jump in surprise, feathers ruffling, and then flush at his own reaction.

"Oh! Haha! Sorry, you startled me!" he said, and smiled sheepishly when Ritskin remarked about the item. "But yeah, I'd love to hear about it. It's really keen on pointing in that direction. Is it some sort of...finder or something?"

He passed the compass over to Ritskin and took the coconuts and limes from him in exchange. Carrying them back to the kitchen, he found a skewer and poked it through one of the coconut's soft "eyes", then held the fruit over the pot to drain the milk. He did that with the others until he had enough. Then he set to mixing in the spices, and in a separate dish, soaked the fish in lime juice. "You have a lot of really interesting things in your home. Have you been a lot of places?"

Alegretto

Ritskin took the compass, handed off his haul, and then walked over to his bookcase. "I guess you call find this device a finder he said with another chuckle. It always finds this thing called North. Maybe I can explain what that is later."

The Kobold set the compass back in it's place and then went to the kitchen, where he set about answering the boy's second question. "Well I guess I have, now that I think about it. Let's see, I've been to all three of the main kingdoms, and I've visited Yoreiq a couple times as well. Of course I've been here, and I visited La'marri once. Never made it down to Essyrn though, and I haven't been in Zantaric either. A little too dry in both those citites for my constitution. There are, other places too, places far across the sea," Ritskin's eyes grew distant for a moment," but I don't know if those really count since I only ever made it as far as the port."

Rhindeer

Tama listened to Ritskin as he worked, though most of what he said went over his head. Ritskin named off a lot of places, but they didn't mean anything to Tama, who had never heard of those places before. Or rather, he'd heard of some of those places mentioned by travelers, but had no understanding of what they were actually like or what it meant.

But Ritskin mentioned so many places that asking for descriptions of each all at once would probably be overwhelming for the both of them! So instead, he blinked and asked, "What's a kingdom?"

Alegretto

Ritskin almost chuckled, but he stopped himself from laughing at what must have been an earnest question. He thought for a moment, trying to figure out how to explain the concept of a kingdom in a language that didn't have a word for such a thing.

"A kingdom is a very large collection of people who all come together and identify themselves as a kind of tribe. Not tribes like on the isles, however, any one of these kingdoms has many times the number of people of all of Yoreiq living within their bounds. They're much larger too, since the 'continent' is bigger than any island. You can walk for years without ever hitting a coast if you wanted to."

Rhindeer

Tama's eyes widened at that description, as he tried to wrap his mind around a place that huge, with that many people all living together.

And to walk for years without reaching a coast?

"Years? Really?" he breathed, and shuddered, sending a few small feathers fluttering to the ground. "That's, uh...a lot of land. Doesn't that get really...?" He groped for the word. "I don't know. Lonely and overwhelming? To have nothing but land all around you and no view of the water? How do you even...jeez."

He scratched the side of his head, then turned back to his meal to check that it was properly heating. Seeing that it was, he went to work on it as he spoke. "What's your favorite place that you've ever been?"

Tags: