Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Fate Changer

Started by visualspice, March 31, 2014, 09:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Their masters?" Persea was taken back, her eyes going wide.
"Are you suggesting I punish them? But.." She blinked, not certain on what to say. "How?"
And was this Hakeshna's will? At times like these she really wished she had paid attention to the holy books and readings...
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"Punish them as you would have the slaves punished, of course," Taj said simply. "With death. Or the removal of their slaves, at least, since they clearly don't have what it takes to handle them. They must serve as an example for other slave holders, so this day will not be repeated."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Persea's mouth fell open. She could have swooned.
"Kill them?" Or remove their slaves? SHe was dizzy, and found herself nearly falling over and had her slave Malika not been close by, she would have been on the floor for sure. Now clutching onto her for support, she paled and used all of her remaining energies to try to stop herself from shaking.

"You.. you think this is wise?A nd.. And Hakeshna's will?"
Oh, to think- she'd be showing mercy to not only slaves, but she would also be killing two Essyrni's instead! It seemed crazy, but in a twisted sort of way that had her feeling ill, it made sense.
But a sense of dread chilled her stomach- because she realized..
She'd be the one commanding such an order.

"M.. Malika!" She snapped her fingers. "My fan! Quickly! I feel feint! It's hot! Please! A breeze!"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"Your Majesty! Ah, please, come sit," Taj said, and lightly took her arm so he could lead her to her seat while they waited for Malika to fetch Persea's fan. It would be terrible if she fell and hurt herself.

He took a seat next to her, hand resting lightly on her shoulder. "Your Majesty, please...I know this is difficult. And I wish there was some way I could spare you this decision. But we are running out of time. They'll be here any moment, and when you give your sentence, you must give it with confidence and certainty. I know you can do it."

Glancing away from her a moment, he let out a low sigh. "I believe this is Hakeshna's will, yes. I believe this is the right choice. I believe that, at the very least, if you execute the one who owns the leader, if his death serves as an example to the people, no one will dare challenge you again."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Persea dropped into her seat the moment it was presented to her and wilted her body towards the fan. Oh, was she ever feeling ill, and she found herself shaking, despite trying to will her self not to.

"Well... if it is Hakeshna's will..." she repeated softly. It took her a moment to compose herself, and almost an eternity to find her voice as she peered up at Taj with those glittering green eyes of hers.
"Then it shall be done. The slaves will be shown mercy, and resold to new, more appropriate masters- and I shall see to it that their purchaser is agreeable by hosting the sale myself." And she nodded, trying to find strength in her statement, trying to wear her mask once again.
"And to the men, their masters..." And here, she tried to envision the men as poisonous. "To the female warrior's owner, he will be cast out of society and shamed, forced to bear this failure for the rest of his days. But the man who owns that... that male warrior.."
And here her posture stiffened as she though back to how angry Agrian was when he looked at her. Oh! How DARE he look at her so! How DARE he cause such a fuss! Oh, if only but he could hang but oh...
"His master shall be publicly executed. He will be beheaded."

Rhindeer

It was an effort not to smile as she snapped the bait right up, but Taj kept his mask in place, kept his expression grave. He nodded at her, gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"You're doing the right thing, Persea," he told her quietly, and might have said more, but at that moment a servant came bustling into the room.

"Your Majesty, they've arrived," he said. "The slaves and their masters are waiting for you in the audience chamber."

Looking at Persea, Taj tilted his head. "Are you ready?"

Lion

The opulence of the audience chamber was apparent all around, paintings and gilded chairs, ornate carvings and sand stone statues of warriors of old, and the preserved heads of wild cats and basilisks and beasts of foreign lands.  Admittedly, it was a lot to take in.  Agrian however, made a mental note of everything he possibly could, from the positioning of the petrified animals, the chairs, and the guardsmen that stood at attention. 

There was a raised dias at the center of the room, where a golden chair sat and a pillow beside, likely where the Shah's favored servant would reside, and before the golden throne there was step just below the dias to indicate the proper distance one was to stand before the glory of the Shah.  Habib tried to steel himself, throwing his head back, his chest out and standing much taller than he really was.

Habib Kuvari Rassan was as arrogant as he was obese.  Agrian was surprised in the three years he'd come to own him, the man hadn't gained any more weight than he already was despite his wont of gorging on delicacies, both foreign and local.  Agrian was a full half a head taller than him, but that did nothing to abate his Master's sense of superiority, after all, what was a dirty, stinking slave in comparison to a man such as he, wrapped in the finest gems, metals, and silks?  Despite everything he thought of himself, Agrian knew his master was feeling awfully small in that audience chamber.

Agrian lingered behind him, his head dropped and covered in that helmet of his.  He knew he wasn't raise his head until otherwise directed, and he had his head angled just enough to Habib standing before the first step, from the tops of his eyes.  He had to conceal an internal smile.  Thankfully, he was successful.

And when the Shah was announced, Agrian watched Habib nearly stumble over in an effort to get to his knees in reverence, and remain that way until the Shah was properly seated.  Habib grunted with effort to stand and bowed his head as he gazed upon the woman in all her opulence.  "Oh great Shah Persea, please forgive my tardiness.  When you summoned me to the palace, I attempted to arrive at once.  Thank you for the opportunity to bask in your presence."

Agrian snorted.  Thankfully, not aloud.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Yasmin and her master arrived on the heels of Agrian and Habib and took up their positions to their left. While her master stood tall and haughty (though the sweat beading his skin showed he wasn't as confident as he acted), Yasmin waited with her head bowed, hoping to look properly demure and humble. It was an effort not to fidget and pick at her nails, so she kept her arms at her sides, hands flattened against her outer thighs, to combat the urge.

Everything happens for a reason, she told herself as she waited. That was the teaching of Hakeshna. Whatever happened, it was written in the stars and out of her hands. She just had to trust that--but that didn't stop her from praying silently. The stuffed heads on the wall were certainly not helping, however; made her think too much about the execution that might be looming before her, and when that one came, there would be no Agrian to still the blade.

Funny how that worked, how she was more afraid of death now than she was in the midst of battle. Probably because when you were fighting for your life, you didn't have time to think about the "what ifs". Didn't mean she wasn't afraid when she fought, but at least she didn't have time to mull over the possibilities, and at least there she had a fighting chance. The idea of dying in battle, on her feet and giving it all she had, was less frightening than the thought of being restrained and cut down.

There was some pride in the former option, too. Pride and hope.

And then, the moment of truth. The Shah entered, and her master dropped to his knees in veneration. Yasmin's eyes widened and for a moment she froze, not sure if she should do the same. Would it be disrespectful for a slave to pay respect like that--interpreted as mocking, perhaps?--or disrespectful not to? She'd never been taught these things!

After a brief moment of internal panic, she dropped to her knees as well, bowing low enough for her forehead to touch the floor. She rose when her master did, face burning beneath the veil. Well, couldn't hurt, she supposed, to play it safe. Especially if she was already doomed.

"It is an honor to be here, Shah Persea," Yasmin's master echoed Habib, and while he praised her, Yasmin dared to cut a look at the Shah herself.

She hadn't been able to see her that well from the arena below, but she was beautiful--and surprisingly young. Younger than she had expected. Surprised, Yasmin found herself staring, before she realized she was staring and jerked her eyes away.

visualspice

Persea was sitting on her gilded chair, but even upon her perch, she remained heads taller than the rest as her chair was positioned at the top of a series of pyramidal steps. Her head remained raised, her very visage- immaculate, as she rose her chin up just high enough when her guests approached that she took on the most regal of appearances.

Perfection was key, and as those green eyes remained fixed upon each of them as they entered, she was inwardly stunned to see the one slave still wearing his helmet. And it sent her blood seering. She found her finger nails gripping into the painted wood of her chair before she finally snapped her gaze back to the pair of merchant lords before her.

"Lord Rassan, Lord Darzi, I believe you both know why you are here." And she paused here only briefly before continuing, "Such actions of defiance can not be allowed. Not in Essyrn. Not in the Moraki. Not any where under my ruling." Her gaze turned sharper as she peered across these men, those who looked more like pigs than princes as she fought to curl her lip at them, but it was evident in her eyes how much she was angered. Turning towards her High Priest, just briefly enough to regain her confidence on the matter, she then returned her attention to those before her once again.

"Be it man, slave or beast, none will go without proper punishment for defying the Shah, the avatar of Hakeshna, the ruler of all Essyrn. But in the eyes of Hakeshna, I fear it is not the slave I can punish here today- but those men too ignorant to train them." ANd as she saw the looks in the men, she placed up a hand to order silence before she continued on.

"These slaves, whom you have done poorly to train, will be given mercy. At Hakeshna's own will, they will be sold to competent men." ANd seeing how the pair were trying to talk again, her eyes narrowed into angered slits as she glared at them, and back into silence the merchants had gone.

"But you, the pair of you who would dare own such property.." And here her voice rose in anger, like a whip, striking across the room. "It is you I have decided needs punished." And as she spoke, she rose from her chair and glared down at them. "These slaves can not know what they do, but you are men," A nd she pointed down at each of them. "And you are the ones who make their mold- and for this- I have already decided on your fate."

She waited a moment, the weight in the air, she could see, was causing both men to sweat like dogs.
"Lord Darzi, you will be marked and disgraced, and exiled from my lands. All of them." And her eyes flared like wild, green fire. "Any titles and ownerships here are forfeit. But you will keep your life. And you will forever live with this shame."
But just as she noticed Lord Rassan moving uncomfortably before her, her eyes snapped his way and her gaze turned venomous. She turned to him, moving smoothly, like a viper.

"And you," she went on, eyes narrowing. "For having the most ignorant and arrogant of all slaves, you sir, you will lose your head. Now.." Without so much as a second thought, she gestured to her guards. "Take them all away. The slaves to the barracks, the men to their cells. At dawn, his Lord Rassan's head will roll- and after that, Lord Darzi will be escorted out of Essyrn for good."

Lion

The words echoed in Agrain's mind without him physically flinching, but internally he froze at the decree of Habib's face.  The master himself suddenly turned blue in the face, as if he were slowly being strangled to death and he had almost no words to utter until the Shah ordered for all of them present within the chamber to be taken away.

"BUT...BUT!" Habib squawked in futile effort as two guards came to take him, and his two men away.  Agrian walked along willfully all the while he saw Habib struggle against his captors.  "YOUR GRACE!  Is this not excessive!  I HAVE DONE NOTHING!  YOU!  GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF ME!"  He howled and growled and one guard grabbed him by the collar of his fine silken robes and dragged him off.

Agrian didn't know what to think of it all.  That the Shah would extend mercy to his slaves and not his master was preposterous.  Surely there was something else at play here, and not merely the act of benevolent sovereign.  Agrian knew better than to suspect that.  But of course the Shah had an image to uphold and the show of mercy to lesser creatures such as they, equivalent only to snakes and vermin, would work wonders on her image in the eyes of her people.  After all, what was a king without a kingdom to rule, and a priestess without the masses to bow at her heels?

He churned that over in his mind as he was dragged off to the barracks.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

The words echoed in Yasmin's ears, but it took several moments for them to register. Surely she had misheard. Surely the Shah hadn't said she was going to punish their masters!

But from the outraged howls of her master, Lord Darzi, and the sounds coming out of Lord Rassan, that was exactly what the Shah had said.

"This is outrageous!" Lord Darzi shouted, fighting fruitlessly against the guards that restrained him. "How dare you! I am innocent!"

As Yasmin was lead along by the guards, her head spun. It didn't make any sense! Why would the Shah punish their masters and not them? And such harsh punishments, at that! Not that she was complaining by any means, but...

Why?

She tried to catch Agrian's eye as they were lead along, but it was difficult with the guards jostling them and wrestling with their two masters. He had said they would be okay, that they wouldn't be killed. How had he known that? What was going on? Because this day felt surreal, and it felt like she was the only one that didn't know what was happening.

Well. Her and their masters.

As she watched Lord Faruq Darzi get dragged away, however, she managed to rein in her shock enough to met and hold his eyes--and smiled at him, surprised to find it was a genuine smile that reached her eyes. Whatever came after this, she was not sad to see him go, and she hoped his life would be miserable for what he'd put her through.

Just before they went their different directions, she blew him a kiss and waved while he glared bloody death at her. "See you never, Darzi!" she called. "Hope you remembered to pack!"

visualspice

Persea watched, like a hawk on it's perch, as both slavers and slaves were dragged away. She could hear their frantic pleas, but even she- naive as she was, could tell that- between the slaves and their master...
well, perhaps she wasn't making an entirely bad mistake. But she could not help the pang of guilty anyways, and the doubt-
But she stole a glance towards the group but once before the gilded doors were sealed shut, and the noise echoed through her chamber.

It was here, finally alone with her Priest, slave and just a handful of guards did she sigh.
By Hakesha's name- what had she done?

Rhindeer

Taj kept his expression properly solemn through it all, and when the slavers and slaves were taken away, he kept the mask on even then. Persea had done an excellent job, and had danced to his tune beautifully. It was almost too easy--but, of course, it was far too early to feel too smug.

Turning to her, he touched her arm to get her attention, for she was quiet and seemed lost in thought. It couldn't have been easy for her to do that, even though the scared girl had been gone in that moment, replaced by a fierce, ruthless Shah.

She would have made her father proud, if only her decision had swung in the opposite direction.

"You did well, your Majesty," he said quietly. "And you did the right thing."

visualspice

At the touch, she broke- like a weakened piece of glass. She collapsed into his arms, sobbing suddenly, a hand to her face.
"Oh, Taj! Take me now, to the temple... for I must prey. Goddess.. I need her support now more than ever. I... I fear if I do not do it now, my whole body shall suffer under this insufferable conscience of mine!"

Rhindeer

Arms going around her, Taj held Persea as she sobbed and lightly stroked her back, her hair, his face a pained mask of concern as though her distress hurt him.

"Of course, Your Majesty," he told her and, in a moment of impulsiveness, he reached up to brush a tear from her cheek with his thumb. "Oh, I wish I could take away your pain. But Hakeshna, at least, can cleanse your spirit. It's not the same, I know, but..."

He smiled sadly and met her eyes. "A conscience is a beautiful but terrible blessing, Persea. I would be more concerned if you felt no pain at all."

visualspice

Persea's pouty lips were trembling as she peered up at him.
"Then let us make haste. I will have Malika prepare me for travel, and we'll all go to the temple together." Turning away, she gestured to Malika and called out. "My crown! Fetch my crown, Malika! We're going to the temple!"

And the three of them were well on their way- and the guarded caravan moved like a serpent through the streets. The temple, thankfully, was not too far away, but it required a bit of travel, and the day was already hot. She ordered Malika to keep the fans going over both her and Taj,a nd spared a glance towards the priest but once as she nestled in beside him and took his hand, and squeezed it.

She just had to keep reminding herself- this was Hakeshna's will.. even if she herself did not completely understand what that was. And though she opened her lips to speak, words fell short as she peered up as the temple came into view- and whatever words were stuck in her throat were forgotten as their caravan came to a halt, and she was guided within.

Rhindeer

Taj was silent during the trip there, but was quite pleased with the way Persea nestled in next to him and took his hand. Of course, it was only because he was her source of support and strength right now, a trusted religious figure, but that didn't mean he couldn't still enjoy it. He covered her hand with his other and looked ahead, expression stoic but mind working over what had just happened that day.

He was very interested in what the local gossip would be tomorrow after the execution, and very interested in what would happen when the news trickled down to the slaves. Slaves may be stupid, but even animals would capitalize on an opportunity when presented to them. If some were already being defiant, as those two had been, then what of the others? And what would happen when news spread that their defiance had worked? That it had gotten their masters punished?

He had a feeling the next week would be very interesting.

At the temple, Taj escorted Persea inside with Malika, and he lead them deep within the temple to a room with a window that sat facing the sun's current direction. He laid a prayer rug out for Persea and lit some incense for her, a scent that was supposed to be good for clarity of the mind, and then paused, his eyes seeking hers.

"Do you need me here, or would you like to be alone with Hakeshna?"

visualspice

Persea moved to kneel on the prayer rug, but at the idea of being left alone, her hands suddenly shot out and took his.
"N-no. I wish for you to stay. I... I still have use for your guidance, and I feel I still need your support." For Hakeshna knew her own faith was not the best, but it was a good time to start believing in whatever power was out there to see her through this ordeal!

Rhindeer

"Of course, Shah Persea," Taj said, and knelt down near her, facing her, his hands still in hers. He turned his hands around so he could hold hers and looked her in the eye. Goddess, she truly had grown into a beautiful woman, hadn't she? And those eyes, so unique, not usually occurring in Essyrni...she truly was the jewel of this desert.

It was a shame, really. A shame the Shah couldn't have been cruel or ugly. But...

"Everything happens for a reason," he told her. "Just remember that always. Today happened because Hakeshna wrote it into the stars. Hakeshna is trying to tell you something, Persea; all you have to do is listen, because I have a feeling there will be more to come."

visualspice

"Listen!?" Her voice sounded desperate as she still clung to his hand. "Oh, but Taj- how can one simply listen after a moment like that?"