Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On The rights of Man and.... Beer!?! (Zozee/ Invite)

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, January 21, 2014, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

Relative silence was just what Archimedes needed. After years of debating, discussing, writing and rewriting, he was just about ready to publish his work. Well, not he himself, anyway; it would be quite odd for a barn owl to publish a book on a political system that would be run by man. But it wouldn't matter who or what was going to publish his writings if he didn't finish editing the manuscript!

So, perched upon one of the desks in the library, Archimedes flipped through the loose pages of his work, checking for errors of any sort; spelling mistakes, stray commas, everything had to be just so. One could call the barn a bit of a perfectionist, but when you were going to publish something that would be seen as ludicrous, radical, or even anarchist, having as little errors as possible was somewhat of an essential. With a sigh, Archimedes took his quill in his talons, and freed the current page of a few stray commas. Well, at least I'm not filing mother's taxes

zozee9

Tanya wandered around the library with purpose, gathering many disdainful looks from various onlookers. Her unmodest apparel was not as welcome in a place of 'intelligence' as it was in most of the bars she went to. Of course, if anyone bothered to strike up a conversation with her, they would learn that her knowledge was unmistakingly real. After all, Tanya was a scholar... or so she claimed.

With three hefty books in her arms, Tanya looked for a table. Instead, she found an owl that seemed to be looking through papers. And honestly, what kind of scholar would she be if she left an owl, known (falsely) for their wisdom, alone? She at least had to know what he was looking at.

She walked up behind him, still carrying the books, and peered over his feathered shoulder. "A comma is missing," she stated simply into his ear. "Middle of the page, third word in. While technically it isn't required, it would need to be there in order to stay consistent with the rest of the writing."
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Klezmer Gryphon

And a person reading his work in the middle of editing was just what he needed. His mind was almost boiling with rage, but Archimedes calmly set the quill to the side, and turned to face the lady who had pointed out what he was going to eventually get to.

"Perhaps I would have gotten to it already if someone hadn't been so eager to point out the obvious," he replied with a searing calm that permeated every word. The barn owl then shook his head and sighed. While he would have preferred otherwise, maybe having someone else read through the manuscript wouldn't be a bad idea.

"However... If you don't have anything better to waste your time with than point out missing punctuation and erroneous diction, then perhaps you can help me edit my writings" he said, now turned back to his manuscript.

zozee9

Tanya laughed and rolled her eyes as the owl defended himself. He had been looking at the second page already, so unless his eyes skipped ahead, he had missed the flaw. She held back the temptation to point this out, however, no matter how much she wanted to.

She glanced down at her books, then back up at his papers, and back and forth two more times before she shook her head. "Fine, I'll edit it. But only if I get something out of it... after all, I came here so I could read these books. And now I'm going to have to take them home to read. So surely I should get some kind of compensation? Oh, and I'm Tanya, by the way."
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Klezmer Gryphon

"Well, at least you're not a Jezebel..." Archimedes muttered as he looked over his papers a bit more before turning to face his new acquaintance. He sighed, and thought for a moment....

"I'm Archimedes. And before you ask, yes I am a talking owl, and no, I'm not some old crone's pet. As for what I do, I am an accountant." He said, gently sliding the stack of pages that were his writings towards Tanya. He then hopped up on the back of one of the chairs and waited with a rather long yawn.

zozee9

Tanya shook her head and tsked at him. "Why, I wasn't going to ask that. It would take a fool to not notice you were a talking owl. And of course you're not some old crone's pet. Too smart for that. You'd be able to get away with no trouble... so if you belonged to someone, it would be as a friend. But given your current attitude and just your general aura, I get the feeling that that isn't the case." She paused, smiled, and added, "Though that might change soon."

She paused and set her books down on a nearby table. Returning, she replied, "I know what I want for compensation. You're an accountant. I work at a guild. A guild could use an accountant. I'll edit this—and whatever else you ever need me to edit—for free, and you'll work at my guild. Deal?" Tanya stuck out her hand to shake, ignoring the fact that everyone in the library probably thought she was a fool for trying to shake hands with an owl (talking or not).

Klezmer Gryphon

Archimedes simply nodded at the proposal. He didn't really care to ask what kind of guild this lady represented; if his guess was right, it was probably a guild of adventurers and explorers... Not that it mattered; his experiences with several guilds revealed a similar pattern: Earn money from a job, spend it almost immediately on improvements for home base or for recruiting new members. It drove him up the wall when he was hired to balance budgets, and the guy in charge wanted to do something that made no economic sense! The thought made him ruffle his feathers....

"Fine, fine, we have a deal. It almost sounds more entertaining than watching a woman trying to shake hands with an owl" he said with a slight laugh. Surely, Tanya realized how ridiculous she looked trying to shake hands with him.

zozee9

Tilting her head to the side, Tanya responded, "Well... you could fly up and land on my hand. Then I could shake it around? It would be a similar affect, I suppose." Laughing, she put her hand back down. She had recruited a new member! It had been so easy this time, too. Must be getting a knack for it... or maybe it was just because it wasn't at a bar.

"So, what all do you want me to edit?"

Klezmer Gryphon

Archimedes hopped down into the seemingly empty chair, and came back up with a thick parchment envelope full of papers held gingerly in his talons. "Well, the pages on the table are a good start. Then there's also the three hundred some-odd pages in this envelope, all on the same topic. Took me years to put this together... I'd appreciate it if they all came out intact...." He said with a heave, setting the envelope down. Im getting too old for this....

zozee9

Tanya started reading the papers without further delay. They were well written and the mistakes were uncommon... much more uncommon than she had been expecting. She smiled as she realized what a good addition he might be to the less than scholarly team back at the guild. Even still, she wasn't looking forward to going through all three hundred pages.

OOC: feel free to skip until the end of the editing!

Klezmer Gryphon

Archimedes looked on with a faint curiosity as Tanya flipped through the pages and started editing. Either she was going lightly to avoid hurting his feelings, or there really were that few mistakes. With a slight wheeze, he hopped up on her shoulder.

"If you don't mind my asking... What do you think of the material?" He asked.

zozee9

Tanya turned the page and didn't even spare a glance up before she replied, "Boring." Who cared about politics, anyway? Certainly not her. "But well written, I'll give you that much. The words are intriguing, so I'm sure whoever is actually interested in this useless stuff would enjoy it." She paused, eyes flickering through another sentence, and then turned to look up at him. "But it is informational, I'm even learning a few new things myself."

Klezmer Gryphon

Archimedes gave a scolding leer. If they weren't in a public library, Tanya would be getting a full discourse on the word 'boring'. However, even though he wasn't going to admit it, the only people who would be able to actually understand the text were probably going to be scholars, politicians and other learned men.  And they weren't his intended audience.

"Well, I suppose I have no right to complain. I did ask for your opinion." the owl muttered, watching his assistant continued editing. They were going to be there a while....