Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ascending From My Mortal Shell [closed]

Started by Ethereal-Star, February 12, 2015, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Ascending From My Mortal Shell:

Anna was running. Again she ran from the law, the Connloathian officials having been after her for some time. But Anna had always managed to outwit them, as luck, chance or fate would have it they had yet to catch her. And outside of Anna's knowledge at that time, they never would. So she continued running, seeking a place to hide from her latest murdering spree. The two thugs had deserved it, not only for being who they were but their stupidity made it that much easier.

It was nearing nightfall, the shadows stretching out more and more as the incorporeal tendrils reached towards her as though to help conceal Anna from unwanted eyes. For she was a wanted criminal and had been on the run for three years now. Her latest hideout had been breached and as a result Anna needed to find another place suitable for one such as her.

Her thoughts strayed to the thugs she had offed with a fire pistol she had stolen from one of the guards on duty earlier. Grabbing the pistol off of his holster, with the guard having no clue that he had been robbed until after she had made off with the gun. There had been two thugs in the area, the details not important except that they had taunted her and made some lewd comments her way which only enraged Anna to the point that she decided the world was better off with two less creeps such as them. Little did she know, these thugs had also been responsible for petty robbery and theft, as well as sexual assault to a few victims who unfortunately hadn't survived. They had been pretty good at covering up their tracks and activities though, so it was to their misfortune that they decided to harass Anna. And it was the last thing they would ever do. Anna made sure of that.

While they had been sleeping in an abandoned shack with various broken windows and furniture inside that had seen better days, she had snuck in after locking the door behind her and shot both in their sleep. The fire from the gun had burned them considerably, as the gun Anna had acquired was not your average Connloathian pistol. It had explosive fire bullets in them that could burn anything they struck to a mere cinder. Really, her choice of weapon couldn't have been more perfect. Unfortunately for her, the officials caught wind of the incident and of her and Anna once more had to flee.

It was as she ran towards an old warehouse complete with boxes and crates inside, most of them empty and coated with years of dust, she heard the shouts of the guards not far behind. Without a second thought, Anna ran inside the dilapidated building and locked the clunky door behind her, the mechanism for sealing it a pain to work with but her frantic attempts gave her the determination to see it through and get the door closed and locked behind her before too much precious time had passed. The interior was very dim, for Anna could barely see inside. Even if she had a means to shed some light by way of a lantern or candle, she would not risk alerting the guards to her whereabouts. What better way to get caught than that? No, she couldn't do that.

Resolutely, she ambled her way through the darkness of the warehouse, trying to find someplace to wait this all out and not lose her footing in the process. There were boxes everywhere and she had banged into more than a few of them. Anna winced. She sincerely hoped no one had heard that. However it seemed as though some of her pursuers had indeed heard something and loud banging was then heard on the door as the guards and other officials tried to break it down. Shit! This was most definitely not good. Anna thought. While the door seemed very sturdy, she wasn't sure just how much of an assault it could take before the guards got in and caught her. And if they did she would be executed. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. They viewed her as a dangerous villain and they weren't entirely incorrect about that. However, Anna only killed those she felt deserved to die. Cut-throats, thugs, murderers, rapists, thieves, it made no difference to her. They would die and she would live and stomp on their ashes when she was through with them, miserable excuses for human beings they were. To her, they were a different breed of human, a sort of subhuman monster. Anna was only doing the world a favor by dealing them the justice they swiftly got. Granted, it was difficult to always pull it off, but she managed somehow. Now, she wondered how she was going to get out of this one, and in one piece no less.

"Come out of there you murderous witch!" one of them shouted from just outside the door.

While Anna searched for somewhere to hide, as the place had no windows to speak of, it was then a strange being made her presence known to the girl, appearing in a cloud of black smoke. Her red eyes gazed at the girl as she whirled around, sensing someone in here with her. Being dark inside the warehouse, Anna could only see a dark silhouette with glowing red eyes and black hair if she weren't mistaken. Startled, Anna lifted the pistol and pointed the weapon at the intruder. "Who are you?" she stated trying to remain calm. "How did you get in here?"

The mysterious figure held her hands up in a peace gesture indicating she wished for Anna to put down the gun and listen to her. "Stay your weapon, Anna. I have no wish to fight you. Rather, I wish to talk with you."

"How the hell do you know my name? Who are you?!!" she near shouted, alarmed trying not to show it but failing.

"I can explain all if you would just listen to me. I promise you will be in no danger if you just come with me." Meanwhile, the guards continued to pound at the door, shouting curses and demands for her to come out and face them.

"Come with you? Where, exactly?" Anna nearly laughed in this strange woman's face. "In case you didn't notice I am stuck here for now, and so are you. The guards outside make it a tad bit difficult to escape from here."

"I have no worry about the guards." the woman intoned, looking firmly at Anna. "You, however will have to face them if you do not come with me back to my place. If that happens your fate will no longer be in our hands and you will be executed. Is that what you want? I should think not."

Anna hesitated, but kept her pistol firmly in hand. "And how do you propose we do that? What are you, some kind of sorceress?"

The woman smiled although with the night soon approaching in full, it was difficult to tell for certain. "Not exactly." she stated, glancing at the door which the guards were still pounding on. "You have two choices Anna. One, stay here and let the guards catch you from which then you will be taken to their prison and executed come the next morn. Or two, you can come with me and I can show you a new way. One in which you need never fear running from the authorities ever again. But you must make a decision now. There is no more time to ponder. That door will soon break open and after that I will no longer be able to help you. Choose Anna. Stay and choose death, or come with me and choose life. The decision is completely yours to make."

Anna hesitated again, but only for the barest of moments. After all, what more did she have to lose? "Fine, I'll go with you." she told her.

And in the seconds that followed, the door was burst down but Anna and the strange being had already taken their leave. As the guards rushed in, swords drawn and torches held alight, ready to interrogate the girl, they only found remnants of smoke which wafted around the interior of the building. For Anna had left the confines of the warehouse and a doomed fate if she had stayed any longer there, having taken the woman up on her offer at the last second.

From then on, her life would change completely and in ways Anna could never have anticipated in her wildest dreams.

((This is a flashback when Dike showed up to offer Anna an escape from her life and the chance to become what she is today, a Fury, also known as a female immortal vengeance warrior. This is simply a brief look into Anna's past, before she became known as Morguen Black-Ash. There will be no more entries here as this is just a one-shot thread, therefore why I marked it as 'closed'. I only wanted to get a better understanding of this crucial event in Morguen's life to further flesh out her character. Thanks for reading.))

Tags: