Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Sound in the Night (Spicious)

Started by JackieCat, April 25, 2015, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackieCat

Naarilash Que-slivik Umdamushbenkik'silverathensha, sat in her library, reading.  She was in her human form, sitting at a table reading a large tome about magical creatures.  She was reading the section on Wolfiei.  She knew everything there was to know about them, as she was one herself, and she had no need for the book's explanation.  But she liked to read it anyway.  She had learned to read from a book in the library that taught one how to read.  She was one of the few Wolfiei in her pack that could read.  She was the only High Wolfiei in the pack, the only one who could transform into a human as well as a hybrid and full wolf.  She had learned to read faster than the other Wolfiei, as her human from helped her.

She finished reading the section and stood, stretching.  The library was one huge room.  It was underground, and the only light came from the magic spheres that floated near the ceiling.  They cast a golden light over the whole place.  It was a dim light, but Naarilash, as a Wolfiei, could see well in dim light and even in the dark.

Naarilash shook her head and by the time she stilled she was done a sleek black wolf was standing in the library.  She stretched again and bounded out of the library and up the stairs to the common area.  The common area was above ground and within the ruins.  It was inside, but the ceiling was very high.  It was cracked but no light could come through.  The whole place was made of stone, and tall stone pillars held up the ceiling.  Broken pillars and pieces of the ceiling were scattered about.  There were only three exits, one was just large enough for a wolf to go through, the other large enough for a human, and the last large enough for a small dragon.  They all had woven blankets in front of them, keeping out the heat.  It was cool in the huge room, the stone kept it at a consistent temperature.  There were spheres of light floating near the ceiling in the cavern, these were blue, and the dim blue light cast dark shadows in the corners.

Wolfiei were scattered around the room, some in full wolf form others as hybrids.  In the middle of the day they did not hunt, it was too warm.  They hunted at night, when the sun was gone and the prey was out.  Now the Wolfiei were just sitting around eating, talking, wrestling.

Naarilash walked out of the cavern and into a large courtyard that was behind the ruined temple.  The courtyard was enclosed by broken pillars and a tumbledown wall.  The courtyard was an oasis.  There were trees scattered about and grass around the large pond in the middle.  There were Wolfiei about in here too, some swimming in the cool water.  There were many holes in the wall where one could leave the oasis, one would emerge onto the hot sand if they left, that's why there were no Wolfiei out now.

Naarilash barked at a Wolfiei who was standing at the edge of the water in its wolf form.  It turned its head to see Naarilash running towards it.  The Wolfiei yelped in surprise as Naarilash barreled into her, sending them both falling into the water.  They wrestled for a bit in the water and then they both climbed out.  They turned into their hybrid forms and walked away from the shade of the trees to dry off in the sun.

"What'd you do that for?" the other Wolfiei said in a growling voice, but she was laughing.

"You were standing right next to the pond, I couldn't resist!" Naarilash's voice was animalistic as well, and her amber eyes sparkled.  "You would have done the same!"

The other Wolfiei smiled and stood up from where they had been sitting on the grass.  Naarilash stood up, shaking, and walked back into the cavern.

It was dark when the hunting parties left.  It was dark and the moon was out, and Naarilash couldn't wait for the hunting parties to return.  There was a hunting pattern, on different nights different Wolfiei went out to hunt.  Every Wolfiei had a night that they went out, except for the pups and elders, who didn't hunt.  Naarilash was part of a hunting group, but tonight was not one of her nights.

There was almost always enough kill to go around, but Naarilash, as the Alpha, got to eat first.  As soon as she would take the first bite of the meat, the other Wolfiei would start eating as well.  It was very dim in the cavern, and everyone would eat in separate little groups in the shadows.  Everyone came inside to eat, and the cavern would be filled with over a hundred Wolfiei.  but now nearly fifty were out hunting, and the rest of the Wolfiei were waiting around in the cavern for them to return.

There were always a few spats over the kills, but it was usually nothing major. 

Naarilash sat on top of a huge broken stone in her wolf form, waiting for the hunting parties to return when a sound from the north entrance.  Every single Wolfiei in the pack raised their heads in a flash, silent.  They knew it wasn't the hunting groups, there were not enough being in number and it didn't smell like a Wolfiei.

Someone was approaching.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"Oh no!" Khasm shrieked, staring at the large whole he had put in a tree. He looked at his hand, still smoking from the blast, then back to his target. Of course, he hadn't meant to destroy the tree, nothing like that at all. In truth, he had been walking through the forest, on his way towards some clan called the "Wolfiei"- what a ridiculous name, he never would've picked something so absurd- when he'd heard a noise from behind the tree. Before he knew it, he'd snapped the neck of a large, red-eyed white rabbit and sent the whole thing up in smoke.

He shook his head, exhaling sharply. He didn't have time to be so paranoid, he had a bounty to collect from whatever these Wolfeie were though clearly they weren't great at picking names! He began walking again but stopped, hearing a wolf growl at  him from behind. Or did he? It wasn't unheard of for him to imagine a predator growling at him. Only when he heard it again, this time from several different beasts and from all around him.
"Oh, well," He said, chuckling nervously. "This is not good."

JackieCat

The Wolfiei in the cavern sniffed, it was a male, a human male. 

Naarilash was on her feet, still if wolf form, and the rest of the Wolfiei were standing as well, alert, ready for anything.

The man was just outside the cavern entrance, he was in the courtyard.  There were Wolfiei guards outside the entrance, and they could be heard growling at the man.  They started to stalk forward, hoping to drive the man back into the cavern.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm opened his mouth to speak, but then stopped. What on earth are these things? He asked himself, vainly hoping this was all some vast delusion. Despite this hope, he pulled his pack around for ease of access. He put his left hand in the sack, the runes on his right beginning to glow.
Suddenly he appeared much more confident, the paranoid look was out of his eyes and he stood tall, ready for their attack. Nothing would distract him.

JackieCat

But the Wolfiei were not ready to attack, not yet.  One barked at the man, and another darted forward, teeth snapping, but it didn't bite him.  They closed in around him, still trying to drive him back.

Then four rushed at him, barking and baring their teeth.  They barreled into his legs, hoping to push him back into the cavern.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Khasm didn't move till the four rushed forward. A pain squeak came from the , right after a loud crack. A grey energy flew to his glowing right hand from the sack, before blasting the closest Wolfiei in the face. The beast fell dead and that same grey energy flew from its body into Khasm.
He fell back, aiming his hand at the various beast, too focused to realize he was being hearded.

JackieCat

The Wolfiei growled even more viciously as their friend was killed.  One in the back of the group howled, and it was a low, sad sound.  Then Wolfiei still were driving the man back, and he was nearly through the entrance.

Naarilash leaped down from the stone and rushed to the entrance.  She transformed into her hybrid form and grabbed the back of the man's shirt, starting to yank him back into the cavern.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"Ah!" Khasm screamed, flailing his arms and accidently firing off the charged soul in his arm, exploding some of the caverns roof off.

JackieCat

With a growl of rage Naarilash yanked him into the cavern.  The Wolfiei outside rushed in and all of the Wolfiei in the cavern bounded forward, surrounding the man.

As soon as he was in the entrance was blocked by the Wolfiei.  Naarilash changed into her full wolf form and growled at the man, and her growl was joined by those of the whole pack. 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Laughing nervously, Khasm turned around repeatedly, then stopped facing Naarilash.

"Um... Hallo?" He asked, scratching the back of his head.

JackieCat

Naarilash growled at him, her amber eyes flashing.  She took a few steps towards him, her legs stiff and her hackles raised.  She looked up into his eyes, and then she changed into her human form.  Padding paws turned into the clicking of high heeled boots, and she walked right up to him, so she was only a few inches from him.

He was taller than her, but she was not intimidated, she held her head high, chin up.  She glared into his eyes, her teeth still bared in her human form.  Her long black hair fell over one eye, but she didn't notice.

Magic crackled in the palm of her hand, which was at her side.

"Who in Kaara's name are you?" she growled, referring to the wolf goddess that the Wolfiei believed in.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Gulping visibly, Khasm extended a shaky hand. "I-i'mma Khasm, warrior mage, bounty hunter, overall madman." He chuckled nervously. "A-and you?"

JackieCat

Naarilash stared down at his hand, disgusted.  "Naarilash, my name is Naarilash Que-slivik Umdamushbenkik'silverathensha, Mage of the Wolves.  What are you doing here?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"That's a bit of a mouthful," Khasm said, lowering his hand. "I'm looking for some Wol-" He cut himself off, realizing he'd found his bounty.

JackieCat

Naarilash frowned when he cut himself off.  She pursed her lips and then licked them, thinking.  She looked over at the other Wolfiei, who were on their guard, keeping a close eye on Khasm.

"What are you looking for?" she questioned, tilting her head to the side.  She was angry at this human, but also curious of him.  She had only seen a few other humans in her life, and those had been in passing, like a caravan driving by the temple as they did once every few years.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Some... wol...verines, yeah." He nodded his head enthusiastically. "Wolverines, dangerous beasts, they hide in the sand then pop out and bite your ankles, real dangerous, yeah."

JackieCat

Naarilash raised her eyebrows, unamused. "Wolverines?  You expect me to believe that?  Wolverines don't, first of all, live in sand, and they definitely don't 'pop out' and bite your ankles."

She narrowed her eyes and took a step backwards, the magic in her hand growing brighter. "You were coming here for us, for Wolfiei, why?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"No, no, of course not! And these, uh, wolverines, they are dessert ones, real sandy things, tend to only target small children or snakes, hehe." He waved his hand in the air, stepping backwards. This wasn't going well at all.

JackieCat

Naarilash's nostrils flared, and she took a step back, glaring at Khasm. "If you do not tell me the exact truth within ten seconds we will not hesitate to kill you.  You killed one of our Wolfiei, Sihara, she is dead because of you.  The hunting parties for tonight haven't returned yet, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind if one more animal was added to the kill pile."

My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

"In my defense, she attacked me first!" He said very quickly, reaching his hand back into his neck, shuffling around in there till he felt in close around some fur. He wondered if he'd have to kill all of them, certainly not something he wished to try at all. Oh, dear gods, how did I end up in this mess? He asked himself.