Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lioness and the Longknife

Started by Rhindeer, July 29, 2015, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"It was eighteen for me," Yasmin said and took another sip. A gladiator for two years and no kills? That must be nice, to be able to choose what fights he participated in. To get to choose whether he killed or didn't. She glanced down at the cup she held, and at the fingers holding it, each black line banding them representing a life lost. A life she'd taken.

She swallowed down the rest of her ale and realized, with a sting of bitterness, that it wasn't entirely dislike that she felt toward Juras. It was jealousy.

"You win it?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"We won, yes. Didn't feel like it..."

Juras sipped down the rest of his ale, and took up the jug to refill their cups.

"forty-five dead on our side, fifty-seven on the enemy's. Three of those my friends... It was a slaughter."

Rhindeer

"...Damn," was all Yasmin said to that. She figured if he wanted to elaborate, he would--but otherwise she wasn't going to press. She didn't like it when people asked for details when it came to her own battles, so she figured it would be equally uncomfortable for others.

Well, for others who didn't delight in death and mayhem.

Instead, she took another sip. "You never really win, do you? Even when you technically do."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Yeah..."

Juras sighed.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, there's a certain thrill to the fight, it's just... taking a life is heavy thing."

Rhindeer

"You don't have to tell me that," Yasmin said, glancing down at her marked fingers again. She gave a small shudder, visible in the way it made her shoulders hitch.

With a sigh, she frowned up at him. "Look, I'm gonna admit it, maybe I sorta misjudged you a little. You're, uh...not really like some of the other volunteers I've met." Her frown turned to a scowl. "Bloody sadists, the lot of them."

DaGlobster

"Thanks," Juras said, and shot her a grin as he took a swig of his ale. There was still plenty left in the jug! The drinking had been slowed down by other concerns.

"And yeah, some of those guys are real monsters. I'd know, I'm The Executioner's next-door neighbor."

The Executioner was an infamous volunteer gladiator. A start-up, like Juras, but a start-up willing to spill endless amounts of blood to please both the crowd and himself. His favored weapon was a guillotine blade fastened to a haft, with a spike chain in his free hand.

"Most of us are just trying to make it big, though, or make a living."

Rhindeer

Yasmin paled visibly at the mention of The Executioner. She'd never seen him in action, thank Hakeshna, but she'd heard the stories. Heard anything he was involved in was spectacularly gory, that he was known, even, to torture his opponents before killing them. To pull out their intestines while they were still living and--

She took another long gulp of ale to wash down the bile rising in her throat.

"Let's talk about something else, shall we?" she said, and set her cup down.

DaGlobster

"Let's!"

Juras peered into his cup, and finished off whatever was inside. He was feeling pleasantly buzzed. The ale wasn't the best, but the cups were large, and all that quantity counted for something!

He looked over to her, and tilted his head a bit.

"What do you want to talk about?"

Rhindeer

"Uhhh...good question!" Yasmin said with a snort before she added with a lame smile, "Er...favorite color?"

DaGlobster

"Yellow," Juras said, and he crossed one leg over the other.

"Definitely yellow."

Rhindeer

"Yeah? Why yellow?" Yasmin asked, watching him curiously. "It's not exactly a popular color."

DaGlobster

Juras smirked.

"I don't care if it's not popular. I like it!"

He laughed a bit.

"It's just got so much energy to it. You might miss something colored red or purple, but yellow? It always catches the eyes."

Rhindeer

"Yeah, energy. The kind of energy that burns your eyes!" Yasmin said with a wave of her hand. "Anyway, my favorite color's red. Like the blood of my enemies."

DaGlobster

"Or, perhaps, a rose in bloom?" Juras added, and he grinned at her.

"Regardless, red's pretty nice. A very powerful color."

Rhindeer

"Pfffft, it was a joke. Y'know, stereotypical warrior answer," Yasmin said with a snort, and stuck her tongue out at him.

"I'm actually most fond of green. It's pretty! Y'know, fresh plant life and all that, regrowth, rebirth, whatever."

DaGlobster

[Wow I just realized I wrote Herrick for that last part. I guess a bit of my brain hasn't forgotten Lionness and The Leopard :I]

Juras nodded, and let out a thoughtful hum.

"It's a rare color out here."

He took a swig of his ale.

"Thinking about fresh plant life is making me hungry. I could go for some vegetable right about now..."

Rhindeer

Yasmin made a face at that. "Well, if you manage to snag something, bring me some. Unlike you free fighters, I don't eat until I'm allowed to eat."

DaGlobster

"Know what?" Juras said, and he smiled at her.

"Maybe I will bring you something. It's too late today, but..."

He shrugged.

"Tomorrow?"

Rhindeer

"What? Really?" Yasmin said, having not expected that response--mostly because she hadn't expected him to want to see her again. Friends were hard to come by here; her only friend had always been Agrian, and he was the only one he'd let in to any degree. And Juras, a voluntary fighter...

Ugh. She wanted to hate him, and yet she couldn't. He wasn't like the other ones, the ones that fought and killed for pleasure. He was no sadist.

Still, this was risky. Friends meant vulnerability. Though maybe she was jumping to conclusions? It was just a drink. Just a meal.

"If you bring me falafel, I'll love you forever."

DaGlobster

"Falafel it is," Juras said, and he patted her on the shoulder as he stood up.

"See you tomorrow, Kitten."

Tags: