Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The bird and the jewel maker (Dragonsong)

Started by Mephistel, April 08, 2016, 03:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephistel

Crow was in town, walking along the street, a book in one hand, his other hidden in one large pocket of his cloak. As usual, his clothes were too big for him, only to hid the fact that he was very thin, unlike his brothers, which were mountain of muscles with no brain. The young man was heading for one of the jewelry in the market. He had heard of it from a certain person who said their jewels were among the best that could be find. He was wondering if it was true.

Using jewels to materialize or imprison magic was a common use among mages, but getting good materials was difficult and if the jewel wasn't the right size or well shaped, a spell could go wrong. Finally reaching the place, the black haired young man entered the shop. A small bell rang as he opened the door.

Immediately, he started looking at the counter where the jewels were shown. He was looking for something specific. He didn't ask for the owner or anything, he would find it on his own. Crow wasn't tall nor very impressive looking, but he had a certain charm to his mysterious figure, his black eyes filled with a certain curiosity, almost sickening and a small smirk always lifting at his lips.

He was really wondering if he would find anything of interest around. 

DragonSong

Risa looked up from the bracelet she was working on as the bell rang. She blinked several times to focus, eyes spotty from staring at twisted gold wire and a small pile of sapphires for the last few hours.

"Oh. Hello, sir," she said brightly after a moment, offering a smile and folding her hands to rest her chin on them. "Can I help you with anything?"

While she couldn't technically make a sale on her own- her father was still the proprietor- she could at least help customers find what they were looking for.

Mephistel

Crow hadn't notice the girl's presence, until she spoke. He turned his dark black eyes toward her and paused for a moment. He frowned for a instant before mumbling something under his breath. He could feel a potent magic in this girl. It was strong indeed.

-Hmm...maybe...I'm looking for an opal...10 centimeters wide...no hollow...and round shaped...-

He said as he approach the young girl. He wasn't all that old himself, but she was small, even to him. He smiled a little, while thinking but keeping quiet. His tone was soft and low, not a word higher then the other.

DragonSong

She arched an eyebrow. "That's quite specific. Let me see..."

Risa slipped around from behind the counter, carefully laying a cloth over the piece she was working on, and moved to one of the shelves near the back of the shop.

"Round- do you mean oval or circle? Or does it not matter?" she asked, kneeling and opening a small chest that had a few larger gemstones layered along it's bottom.

Mephistel

Crow tought for a moment as he followed from the other side of the counter.

-Oval if you have...perfectly round opal are too sensitive...-

He answer her, while checking on other jewels while he was at it. He needed that opal to put some new spell and summoning circles he had found. Opal were best to trap spells since they had good magical properties and could adapt to a lot of different magic school.

He waited for her to be done.

DragonSong

"Hmmm."

Risa picked two stones that looked like the might do and stood. She crossed back to the counter and laid the opals on out for him to see. "Are either of these acceptable?" she asked with a small, rather vague smile.

Mephistel

Crow looked at the stones carefully, observing the lines of color. Every stones had some particularity, even if they were of the same family. He took one of them and looked at it in the light, the reflect looked well and it had a nice aura.

-Hmm...yes, this one is acceptable...-

He said, putting it back on the counter.

-I'll take it...-

He added. He hadn't seen anything else so far. It wasn't as impressive as the other mage made it sound, but then again, Crow was a difficult mage. People often had a hard time dealing with him, even when he was in a good mood.

DragonSong

"Oh. Um." Risa bit her lip. "Well- good. Ah, that's good," she murmured. She reached for a small felt purse and delicately wrapped the stone up.

"Um. That's thirty gold pieces," she said softly. "But, uh...I'm not technically allowed to make a sale. I don't actually run the shop you see, I just work here. I'm only looking after things until Papa comes back. Which should be shortly!" she added quickly, hoping he wouldn't leave.

Mephistel

Well, that would explain things. He had been surprised to see such a small girl running the place. He nodded.

-Ahh...I don't mind...I'll wait...-

He said, leaning over the counter, observing the girl in more details. His chin resting upon his palm as he looked at the girl.

-Tell me child...do you happen to...practice into the magical art?-

He inquired about. he could tell the girl had a gold mine like power vein running trough her, but how rough was the diamond? Was a good question.

DragonSong

Risa snapped her attention up. "Child?" she protested mildly, frowning a bit. Eighteen wasn't a child!

But, of course, the customer was always right. She swallowed a retort and forced another smile. "As a matter of fact, I do, sire. Not very often, an I'm not particularly talented, but I do."

Mephistel

-I see...that is...very interesting...-

He said, with once again, that mysterious tone of his, letting out onto something, but it was unclear what. Perhaps the real opal he was looking for wasn't the one in the counter.

-Tell me, what kind of magic do you perform?

He inquire once more, tilting his head on the side, now more curious then he was. There was something in his eyes that was making people uneasy. But that was something Crow had never cared about.

DragonSong

Risa frowned again, starting to be a little put off. But, again- the customer was always right.

"Mostly simple little things. You know, give the stones a little extra shine, or that shaping that manual tools just can't achieve." She shrugged. "Why the interest?" Her eyes flicked toward the door. What on earth was taking her father so long?

Mephistel

Crow looked at her. So she was raw...it made him smile as she asked why.

-Simple...I do feel a very high potential in magic in you...but it seems you haven't developped it yet...hmm..-

That's when the door opened, letting enter a man, the owner of the shop.

DragonSong

Risa's eyes widened slightly. High potential? Her?

Then the door opened again and she snapped back to herself. "Papa." She smiled and waved the man over. "The gentleman would like this," she said, tilting the little purse so he could glimpse the opal inside it.

"Ah." Her father gave Crow a quick smile and a polite nod. "Risa here gave you the price, I assume?" he said without preamble, slipping behind the counter.

Mephistel

Crow frowned as the father came back. He nodded about the price.

-Yes...she did...-

He said slowly, taking out his own purse and handing over the requested gold. He was much more interested in the girl now then in the actual opal he had first came in to buy, but it seemed their conversation would have to continue later.

-Well then...I'll be taking my leave...I might come back if you ever get more of these...-

He showed the opal he had just purchase.

-Here is my adress so please contact me when you have more...-

He gave a small note on which his adress was written.

DragonSong

"Ah. Of course, sir." Risa took the paper, a little surprised but willing to do what he said. "Thank you for your business," she chirped cheerfully, tucking the paper away.

"Here, let Risa walk you out," her father said as he handed over the stone and gave the young woman a quick nod.

Risa slipped out from behind the counter and moved to the door, holding it open for him.

Mephistel

Crow walked toward the door, after pocketing the precious stone. Accompanied by the girl.

-Really...you shouldn't waste such talent here...-

He said, once outside. The reason he had given her his adresse, was for her to come see him. Perhaps he could show her how to reveal her potential. Something like that didn't happen all that often. But he couldn't force her either.

-Good-bye...-

He said, as he walked away.

DragonSong

Risa frowned. "I'm not...wasting..." she protested quietly, but he was already walking away.

With a sharp exhale, she gave him a small wave as he moved off down the street and hesitated a moment before turning back inside.

Mephistel

Crow moved along the streets, his opal in his pocket, the seeds of curiosity planted into the girl's mind. If she would come to him was to be seen, but he had hope she would. At any rate, he made his way back home.

As he arrived at the high fence surrounding the manor, the guards let him in and he walked back to his room, getting back into his studies for the day. Despite been all into magic, he still had a major to prepare for university. So his father wouldn't complain too much about him not been a warrior or a soldier like the rest of his brothers.

DragonSong

It took her nearly a day and a half to work up the courage, but finally Risa found herself slipping through the city to the address Crow had given her. She'd made her excuses to her parents- she wasn't quite sure why she hadn't just told them what she was doing, but for some reason she had the feeling they wouldn't exactly approve. Neither of them were mages, they never seemed to quite know how to react to her magic.

"Wow." He eyes widened when she saw the manor. No wonder the man hadn't batted an eye at the price of the opal. She froze just outside the gate, suddenly unsure. What was she doing here? She just wasn't made for these kinds of things...