Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strange Magic [Dragonsong]

Started by Zero, August 15, 2016, 04:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Joss hadn't even let the blood on his hands finish drying before he'd stumbled into an inn. Mud and blood splattered his boots and coat, but nobody questioned his disheveled appearance. People knew better than to ask strangers about things they didn't really want the answer to.

He felt as if he'd run several miles only to have the tar beat out of him at the finish line. A good hunt always wore him out. Of course he was a mongoose sitting in the middle of a viper's nest. All the unsavory sorts loved Zantaric – demons were quite fond of the place, which was why it was so easy to find fiends to vanquish. It also meant he was in even more danger than usual, but most of the characters in this particular inn seemed uninterested in picking a fight with him.

Good.

Joss fell into a chair at an empty table, pulling out a pipe and slowly packing it with his favorite tobacco. A sultry serving girl came to take his drink request, and left pouting when he refused to flirt or acknowledge her large, barely-contained breasts which she'd none-to-subtly tried to shove in his face. Probably made extra tips and got presents from fool customers that were actually interested in her wiles.

He wasn't in need of such fleshy comforts – or at least he couldn't indulge without answering some hard questions.

By the time his drink had been shoved in front of him and the offended tavern wench sauntered off to invest her attention elsewhere, Joss had finished stuffing his pipe. A simple spark of demonic magic caused smoke to wisp up from the basin as he puffed contently for a few moments before finally taking a long drink from his tankard; it was the perfect way to end a long day.

DragonSong

Calen glanced up when he heard the door open, then did a double take. Damn. Poor son of a bitch looked like he'd been dragged through a cross country course. Backwards.

Well. Not his problem. Plenty of people stumbled into the inns of Zantaric looking rather disheveled. Still, he found himself glancing at the stranger every once in a while out of the corner of his eye, curiosity piqued.

The barmaid approached to ask if he wanted another drink, all fluttering lashes and artfully exposed breasts. Calen resisted the urge to roll his eyes- to be honest he felt a bit sorry for the girl, but he'd been in the tavern enough to know how persistent she could be, and it could get rather irritating. Still, he just gave her a smile and a reasonable tip as he stood and gathered up his cloak, meaning to leave.

Until a rather large hand caught his shoulder just before he reached the door, shoving him back into a wall- uncomfortably close to the table the bedraggled stranger occupied. He stumbled and frowned, glancing up at his assailant- then gulped.

"Corryn. Well, it's been a long time-"

"Save it." The man- an acquaintance from a previous job that hadn't ended well- shot his hand out to grip the front of his shirt. "You and me need to have a talk, friend."

"You and I," Calen corrected, unable to help himself.

"...What?"

"You and I," he repeated. "Not you and me."

A fist cracked across his face.

Zero

Honestly the world didn't exist beyond Joss's very narrow sphere. Anyone could be staring at him and he'd not so much as spare them a glance - as long as they weren't bothering him he didn't give two fucks. All he cared about just then was drinking and smoking before eventually he'd get too tired to hold his eyes open and would pass out piss drunk somewhere.

Joss was barely aware of the drama unfolding practically against his table, and he wouldn't have cared in the slightest if his table wasn't bumped as one fool was punched by another. His ale shifted on the table, spilling over the side of the tankard and splashing on his trousers.

In the blink of an eye the table was flipped over - crashing into a couple other tables as all hell broke loose. There was going to be a full-scale brawl at this rate.

Joss didn't care, he'd take on every bitch in this shit hole, but first the one that fucked with his peace and quiet time. Corryn - not that he actually knew his name - would find himself with a fist in his own face. Hell, after a hunt why not end the night with a good fist-fight?

DragonSong

Startled, Calen realized he suddenly had backup- unwitting or not, he'd take it. With a quick jolt of magic he froze Corryn's feet to the floor.

Two other big thugs were moving toward them. Without thinking, he grabbed the stranger's arm and hissed, "C'mon, let's book before those louts make it over here. Trust me, not the kinda people you want on your tail."

He darted for the door, dragging the other man with him.

Zero

Frozen feet...well that was unexpected.

Joss hadn't really noticed the big thugs on the way until he was being grabbed by the arm and dragged out of the inn. That inner fire burned hot, angry at the thought of running away from anyone - he was a goddamned demon hunter! He could take them, he knew he could.

"Butt out, I'll break all their faces - give them mugs even a mother can't love!" The words were crowed rather hotly, but he put up minimal struggle. Demon hunter or not, Joss was running on fumes of power, the bitter dregs of sweet demonic energy left over from his earlier hunt. Sure, he could probably stay alive through a fight, but he wasn't going to win a fight - even with some two-bit thugs.

DragonSong

"I'm sure you could," Calen replied easily. "But I've always felt the best offense is smacking 'em by surprise and then running until they can't see you anymore. And that spell won't hold forever, the ice will melt or break."

He sped around a corner, keeping his grip on Joss's arm. With a charming grin, he added quickly, "Name's Calen by the way, and it's a pleasure. Think you saved my hide back there with that punch."

Zero

"That makes no sense. Running is for cowards." Joss grumbled unhappily, but at least he didn't shout it. He was too focused on trying to keep up to struggle with Calen as he was still being pulled along.

When they rounded the corner he stumbled, nearly falling completely. "Ugh, if that asshole hadn't spilled my drink I wouldn't have gave a shit."

DragonSong

He felt more than saw the stumble and came to a halt, unthinkingly pressing his unwilling companion up against the wall of a small alcove.

His eyes flickered around warily. The sound of footsteps has him pressing a finger to his lips, giving Joss a meaningful look at Corryn's and his friends thundered angrily by the alley.

Zero

Joss grunted softly as he was shoved against a wall. His whole body was sore and it didn't feel very good to be pressed against such a hard surface. Lucky for Calen he decided not to make a fuss just then, pressing his lips into a thin line and scowling indignantly at the strange man that had sorta but not really taken him hostage. If nothing else he took the opportunity to try to catch his breath and let himself cool off a bit.

He waited until the men chasing them were well past them before growling softly. "You owe me a drink, you know."

DragonSong

Relaxing as the sounds of their pursuers faded into the distance, Calen rocked back onto his heels and grinned at him.

"How about you give me your name and I'll buy you two," he countered with a friendly laugh. Smile turning sheepish, he awkwardly rubbed at the back of his neck and added, "Er, sorry about this by the way. It was sorta an instinctive reaction, y'know?"

Zero

Joss was beginning to question if Calen was perhaps just a little deranged. They'd just been running from people that seemed quite intent on doing them great harm and the moron was grinning like a bloody idiot.

"Yeah? Well your instincts suck." He grumbled, pushing away from the wall and peeking out around the corner just to make sure they really were gone. "Name's Joss, and you better not stiff me on those drinks. I've had a very long, very trying day and I'm thirsty as hell. If not for you I'd be halfway to pass-out drunk by now."

DragonSong

"Well aren't you cheerful," Calen laughed, evidently completely unbothered by the insults and surly attitude. "I'll make good on those drinks, promise."

He stuck his head out of the alley and glanced from side to side, then tossed a bright, "C'mon. There's another tavern down this street, probably a better bet at this point," over his shoulder.

He clapped a friendly hand to Joss's shoulder and steered him gently down the street. "Thanks for your help back there, by the way. Even if it was just because Corryn spilled your drink."

Zero

"The sarcasm is real." Joss muttered dryly. Cheerful wasn't something anyone in their right might would ever seriously accuse him of being. "As long as you do make good on them I won't have to hurt you."

It felt strange, as if he was completely out of control of the situation. First being dragged through the streets, then shoved into an alley, and now being gently herded to another tavern.

"Dumb luck for you, I guess." Joss sure as heck wouldn't have helped him out of the goodness of his heart. His crimson flecked eyes glanced at his very weird and uninvited companion. He had no idea what to really make of him. The guy was far too friendly. "Why were they wanting to pick a fight with you anyway?"

DragonSong

He laughed sheepishly as they came to the door of another run down tavern. "Weeeeell, it's a bit of a long story. If you really wanna know, I can tell you over drinks."

He pushed the door open and held it with a dramatically gallant bow at the waist. "After you, my good sir."

Zero

"I think I earned a little story time." Joss pointed out. After all, if it wasn't for him Calen probably wouldn't be very capable of telling any stories just then. He wondered how badly they would have beat the snot out of the cheerful weirdo.

Eh, didn't matter to him.

Joss rolled his eyes heavily and pushed his way past Calen into the building. It was another shitty tavern, of course, not that he was expecting something grand. He made a beeline for an empty table in a quiet corner, flopping himself into the chair closest to the wall and letting his eyes scan the room warily. The last thing he needed was more trouble today.

DragonSong

Cheeriness undaunted, Calen sauntered into the tavern after Joss and plopped himself into a chair at the same table. He raised a hand to get one of the server's attention, asking easily, "What's your poison?"

As the girl was making her way to the table, he leaned back in his chair and huffed out a breath. "Well, if you really wanna know, Corryn and I worked a job together a few months back. Basic thing, just guarding a merchant caravan- I do that kinda work a lot. Anyway, I got into a...disagreement with the man in charge- oh, hey there, sweetheart."

He smiled at the barmaid who'd stopped beside their table. "I'll just have an ale, and he'll have..." He trailed off, looking to Joss.

Zero

Joss felt around in his coat as he settled comfortably into his chair, or as comfortable as he could given the hard wooden nature of his seat. Sighing in agitation he realized he'd lost his pipe in the scuffle at the other tavern. Writing it off as lost forever, he pulled a small metal case from an inner pocket and flipped it open to reveal a few rolled cigars.

A much happier sigh escaped him as he put it between his lips and used a spark of magic to light it. The smoke soothed his frayed nerves. Joss was indisputably an addict and alcoholic, but he hardly cared.

The case was returned to its place as he listened to Calen begin telling him about the thugs that had been after them. He didn't smile at the serving girl, he barely even looked at her. "Same for me."

DragonSong

The girl nodded, casting Joss a rather sour glance, and flounced away. Calen gave a low whistle, smirking at his companion. "You're just all kinds of friendly, ain'tcha?" he joked good naturedly.

Evidently not caring if Joss was really listening, he continued his tale. "Anyway. Got into a bit of an argument with our boss when I found out "merchant caravan" is apparently code for "slave traders"." He frowned, for the first time seeming less than cheerful. "Sooo... I let 'em loose. Broke into the bastard's wagon and gave the people we was holding all the money he'd been going to pay us guards with."

He shrugged. "Corryn didn't take too kindly to not gettin' paid."

Zero

A grunt was the only response Joss gave for the criticism of his friendliness. His life was far too complicated - not to mention dangerous - for making friends. Being a jaded, cynical asshole was a good buffer to keep the vast majority of people far away from him. That was the way he preferred people - at a distance.

He puffed quietly on his cigar as he listened to the explanation behind their little impromptu getaway. Joss couldn't stop himself from snickering softly. "How noble of you. Seriously, why did you bother? Slavery is kind of a thing in most parts of the world."

Sounded like soft-hearted foolhardiness to him.

DragonSong

Calen shrugged. "Yeah, maybe. Trust me, I've heard it all before- saving a few lives won't make a difference in the long run, bla bla bla." He shrugged again and suddenly grinned as the barmaid reappeared with their drinks.

"The way I see it-" he downed a swig from his mug- "it doesn't much matter if it doesn't make a difference in the big wide world. It made a difference for them, didn't it? That's the important thing."

Tags: