Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strays and Fevered Dreams [HK]

Started by Zero, August 19, 2016, 10:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Cole had managed to slip back into a fitful sleep, body still exhausted from the trauma. When Lavender woke and moved to his side, he tossed his head to the side, murmuring softly in his sleep.

A soft, pained moan escaped him, his brow furrowing as she began healing him once again. Slowly he opened his eyes, looking around in confusion again. It took a moment but he turned his attention to the glow of her healing and had to squint his crimson eyes, going so far as to raise a hand to partially shield his vision. "What are you doing?"

It was probably a dumb question. Obviously she was using magic on him, but she'd said that she'd drained herself to heal him before, why would she do more?

Medievarad

"Patching you up," the dryad replied easily, eyes turned towards one of the wounds she was currently healing. She felt she had enough energy to at least do most of the patch work so he could autonomously move around. Because she was still too weak to take care of a patient who couldn't even walk around. But, her reserves were replenished slightly, so she could heal him, without worrying of dying to it now, she'd still feel weak, but not as exhausted as she was before, she glanced up at his face. "I've been.. Doing this for years.. I know my limits, don't worry.."

Zero

It was hard to really argue with that logic, but the look on Cole's face clearly indicated he was trying his best to come up with a convincing argument against further healing. It was a wonder smoke didn't come out his ears the gears were grinding so hard.

"Please just stop. I owe you enough already." Cole really couldn't grasp anything more than objecting to how much he did or didn't owe her for her services.

Medievarad

Lavender was momentarily stupified, he might feel a sharp pain in his leg due to the unstable flesh detaching again, but she immediately went back to patching it up, soothing his nerves with her magic. Silently so, not saying a word when she did.

After a short while of looking for the right words, she sighed. "You owe me nothing, I'll take whatever you want to spare, but you wouldn't be the first to not give me any compensation. Nor will you be the last."

Zero

Cole hissed softly, it felt like someone had just stabbed him. Wasn't she healing? He bit off any protest with a grimace, letting her work because there wasn't much else that he could actually do. It wasn't as if he could fight her off in his condition.

Not that he would if he wasn't still hurt.

"I think I kinda owe you my life." He pointed out, not comfortable with the idea of not repaying someone for saving him. In his life you always paid what you owed. "I don't have a thing to my name right now, but I'll find some way to pay you back. Once my leg is better I can find some work. It'll take a while to make enough, but I'm not a bum."

Medievarad

"I saved more people's lives," she quipped easily, before glancing at his face as she healed, feeling slightly bad for dropping the numbing of his nerves momentarily. So she poured an extra effortin to make him feel way more comfortable. It'd feel like he was on a soft matress now, rather than the hard, wooden table.

"You're a mercenary? Or a grizzled adventurer, aren't you?" She inquired. "I'd advice you to find work that incurs less danger to your life," she sighed softly. "Don't want you on this table again."

Zero

"A mercenary, but I don't know about grizzled." Cole murmured, looking a bit embarrassed. "It's why I have to repay you. Nothing is free, it's how I was raised. Besides, I'm a terrible mercenary. The first time they trust me with real work and I end up laying on your table."

It truly was an embarrassment. No wonder they left him here to live or die without another care.

Medievarad

"Then quit altogether," she ushered while still healing his wounds, hands passing over his side to relax the muscles and nerves again. "Find work that poses less risk of being stabbed," she sighed softly. "Do you really want to repay me?"

Zero

"I might not have a choice. The people I worked with probably won't take me back. They probably didn't expect or want me to survive." If he couldn't even do a job right with a group of seasoned veterans then it was probably safe to say working solo was a bad idea. "Of course I want to repay you."

Medievarad

"If they didn't want you to survive," she murmured softly. "Why would you end up on my doorstep? You were taken here by someone." Lavender sighed softly, before finishing up and sitting back. "Firstly, stop constantly repeating you will. I understand. I will be paid back," she answered, standing up straight now.

"And I'm going to need to restock on herbs soon, you can help with that, if you want."

Zero

"It had to be my mother. Honestly I can hardly believe it. I never thought she cared much for me." Cole brought his hand up to touch the necklace that now hung around his throat. Even knowing his mother had saved him, he found it hard to believe she had left the trinket with him when it had obviously been so important to her.

He sat up on the table slowly, wincing slightly, but it felt much better than before. There was a dull twinge of discomfort in the limb, but it seemed remarkably well-healed all things considered. Maybe he could make a full recovery after all. Cole had been sure he'd be lame after that.

"Herbs? I don't know anything about herbs, but sure, I can help with that." If he couldn't earn money to pay Lavender back then he could at least do some work.

Medievarad

"I wouldn't know, all I found was you," she gave the man a faint smile. "Sorry," she said as she walked over to pick up some tealeaves from the ground, covered in several splotches of of blood. "Care for some tea?" She asked, not minding the blood on them. It'd be boiled off regardless.

Regardless of his answer, she'd stoke the fire and throw in the leaves on the kettle, enough tea for the both of them. Or for herself if he declined. "I'm not the strongest around," she added with a soft giggle. "So you'll mostly do the heavy lifting."

Zero

"It's okay." Of course they wouldn't have stuck around. Cole would have been surprised if she had found anyone else.

"Uh...sure?" Now that he thought about it, his throat was a bit dry. As for the blood on the leaves, well it was probably his blood anyway and he wasn't a stranger to blood in general. When you killed someone the blood tended to splatter on you sometimes.

"You were strong enough to get me on this table." He pointed out, not that he knew how she'd managed it. Lavender was a small person and he wasn't huge, but he wasn't little either. "But being a mule is easy enough work."

Medievarad

Lavender glanced over her shoulder, blinking slowly. How she did it? Oh, right, she thought her magic to be so normal, she didn't really consider it explaining to him. "I'm by no means strong enough," she answered, snapping her fingers. Thick vines and roots slowly dropped down from the roof and started to creep up on Cole, before turning to Lavender and starting to assist her in making tea, lifting the hot kettle, taking two cups and putting them on the table, next to Cole and pouring it in.

She moved over to the cups, with a small jar of honey, putting it in both, before looking up at him. "Give it a minute or two," she stated, sitting down on one of the chairs. "Well, I can do it alone. It'd just save a massive headache to do so."

Zero

Cole's eyes widened as he watched the plants come down, creeping up on him. He actually tried to flinch away, but thankfully they quickly moved away from him and over to her. If he'd ever doubted the ability of one's heart to pound out of their chest he had just been made a believer.

Red eyes watched the vines work warily. "Neat trick..."

Cole didn't really have any magic, and neither did the other mercenaries he grew up with. They didn't trust magic, people having that much and that kind of power made his skin crawl just a little.

"No, if I can pay you back with a little hauling, then I'll be happy to do it." It was easy work.

Tags: