Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Ties (Dauphin DaGlobster)

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Alright." Bree pranced a little nervously and felt Ka rub at her shoulders in an effort to calm her. "Do you just...go in?"

DaGlobster

"Yes, we'll go inside," Dehak said, and he motioned to Ka.

"He stays out here."

DragonSong

She felt her brother tense and frowned. "You can't be serious." Her eyes flickered around at the armed and armored people that surrounded them. "I'm not just going to leave him here! What if someone tries to hurt him?"

"Bree." Ka gave her a quick hug around the middle and slipped off her back. He smiled, patting her withers. "I'll be fine, go on."

DaGlobster

"Nobody'll hurt him," Dehak said, and he motioned to one of the guards at the tent's entrance, which were particularly large and well-armored centaurs, encased almost head to toe in crude plate armor.

"Watch him," he said, pointing to Ka.

He stepped past the guards, and motioned for Bree to follow him.

DragonSong

She hesitated a moment longer, prancing nervously in place. Then Ka gave her an encouraging slap on the side and she jumped forward a step. She glowered over her shoulder at him, was met with a bright smile, and cautiously followed Dehak.

DaGlobster

Dehak led silently, eyes on the path ahead. There was a secondary entrance parst the first one, also lined with guards. When dehak approached, one of them held a hand out.

"Council's in the middle of an audience."

Dehak crossed his arms, but nodded.

"With who?" He said.

"Hoof Leader Kohak. It's about the Vindari tribe."

Dehak smirked.

"I hope it goes well for him, then," he said. He backed up to Bree, and rested his hands on the shoulders of his horse body.

"It'll be a few minutes."

DragonSong

Bree eyed the guards warily. Her eyes flicked to Dehak and she gave a short, sharp nod, her tension obvious in every line of her body.

She folded her arms over her chest. "So, ah...what's about to happen, exactly? What am I supposed to do?"

DaGlobster

"Relax," Dehak said, and he gave her a slight smile.

"I'll make your case for you. The elders probably even know where you came from," he said. He scanned her up and down, before finally leveling those handsome eyes of his at her own.

"It'd help if you didn't look tenser than a colt about to go into his first battle."

DragonSong

She made a face at him, but put forth an effort to try to appear more relaxed. "So I'm tense- can you blame me?" She arched an eyebrow at him. "This place is hardly the friendliest atmosphere for a stranger."

DaGlobster

"It'll be fine. Centaurs look after our own," Dehak said.

"They're sure to let you join. I can show you the ropes when they do."

DragonSong

"What about Ka?" Her arms folded almost defensively and she shifted her back hooves. "I...appreciate you offering us help, but I want to know he'll be safe."

Her eyes kept dropping to the ground, a behavior ingrained from years of slavery. Her head bowed slightly, subservient, but the set of her shoulders and her constant shifting of her hooves betrayed a strong fight or flight instinct.

DaGlobster

"I'm going to be honest," Dehak said, and he crossed his arms.

"It will be harder for him to fit in in the beginning. He's the only human in the camp, and, well..."

Dehak sighed.

"Our people aren't exactly on the friendliest terms with humans. There used to be more centaur Herds, but now... It's just the Brays."

DragonSong

She shifted again nervously. "You're saying...humans killed them off?"

She'd never held any particular animosity toward humans in general- just the man who had enslaved her. But...well, if your race had been hunted into an endangered species, she supposed she could understand that anger.

DaGlobster

"Not directly," Dehak said, and he frowned.

"That's the worst part. When our Herds came from beyond the plains, the Adelans kept us from entering their more fertile lands. Our people were nomadic, never used to settling down. The plains couldn't support all of us indefinitely, so we did what we had to do to survive."

He looked away from her.

"Eventually, the Herds wanted to move on. There was war."

DragonSong

Bree frowned. "How long ago?" She glanced toward the entrance of the tent. It couldn't have been so long, if this Herd still existed.

Maybe she was a product of war? Orphaned children were often snatched up by slave traders and sold all across the continent.

DaGlobster

At her question, Dehak let his head hang.

"Almost a hundred years ago, there were five great Herds. Now, there's only this one, The Bloody Brays. a shadow of what it used to be," Dehak said.

"Shortly before I was born, I know that a herd fell. I don't remember the name, but you look to be about my age. Perhaps you were taken as a foal, or your mother was taken while she still carried you."

DragonSong

"Maybe." Bree bit her lip and shuffled her back hooves a bit. "I'm, um, sorry. About the other Herds."

DaGlobster

"You don't have to apologize," Dehak said, and he looked to her, seeking to meet her eyes.

"It was the humans who did it."

DragonSong

Her brow furrowed slightly as she met his gaze. "Some humans did it," she repeated softly, a subtle correction. "Not all of them are like that. You've met Ka- do you honestly think he'd have it in him to commit genocide?"

Perhaps she was being overly defensive, but she was worried for her brother, how he would be treated here.

DaGlobster

"I don't know," Dehak retorted. He looked back towards the tent's entrance.

"Do I? Do you?" he said.

"You never know what anyone is capable of."

Tags: