Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fear of the Strange [Heretic King]

Started by AevumEternity, November 25, 2016, 07:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Hakon couldn't help but speak out her next words. Indeed, she felt frustration she was being ignored thus far, merely being lumped in with the rest of the trainees. But not only that, she now felt the weight of nearly a year of abuse, being kicked in the mud- having been bashed away with rejuvenating hope given to her by Artorias.... Only to be slammed upon her once more by being made another... One of these invisible masses.

" Then help us be great!" she roared, the power in her voice nearly making it crack, giving even Hakon a surprise. Red hot rage burned the cold from her skin as her knuckles turned white around the hilt of her sword - shield upon her other arm seeming lighter with her anger. God! She was TIRED of this nonsense!!!

" Stop... Insulting us and teach us or just let us die! I... I won't take any more insult and no training!!"

Medievarad

Artorias glanced at Hakon, arching an eyebrow, a soft, menacing and mirthless chuckle resounding. "You think you can just snap your fingers and become stronger?" He walked over to Hakon. "You know nothing, you have not seen even one of your friends fall in battle. If these drills weren't nescessary, would we waste time on them?"

Artorias shook his head and took several steps back, unsheathing the large blade. "This sword is heavier than most of the gear you are all wearing now, not to mention my armour." He held the sword up with one hand, before sheathing it again. "Your armour is a second skin. Your armour is what stands between you and a panicked mage with a sword. Or sympathysers with bows. What you're all doing now, OR ARE SUPPOSED TO DO, IS PURE CONDITIONING."

He sighed softly. "Hundred. On the floor. With traveling gear. Each word of protest adds another twenty. And if you give up, I can give you other things to keep busy with."

AevumEternity

As her comrades dropped to obey with their gear, spitting curses at Hakon- the young woman stood firmly but was in quite obvious turmoil. She wanted to resist more then anything but feared the consequences- but that was always the risk with rebellion wasn't it?

Clenching her fists, she glared back at Artorias, it seemed she had made up her mind on what she would do. Remaining standing as she did so,"... I'll do whatever else you have." She speaks quietly, forcing her voice to not shake or tremble

Medievarad

"Good," Artorias replied, sheathing his blade on his back. "Latrine duty? I'm sure the pit needs cleaning," he took a step back from Hakon and took a deep breath.

"If you don't wish to train. You will clean shit, you will herd cattle. Maybe get a trade. But without training, you will not be a soldier." Artorias shook his head. "It is as simple as that. And I stood among these ranks. On your side at one time. And I learned."

He let out a soft breath. "And so will you. But your willpower is admirable. Your insubordination, however, is a trait unbecoming of a true Mordecai."

AevumEternity

Glares at him for several excruciatingly long moments taking a deep breath before speaking quietly," I'm not even supposed to be a Mordecai," wincing slightly a a nearby captain began to scream obscenities and herd her off.

Hours Later...

Night was falling, and needless to say, That strong will that had been praised mere hours earlier was breaking. She crawled from the pit, lying on her back for a moment- her nose now utterly immune to the rancid smell that clung to her as she stared at the icy stars. She didn't want to move even though she was freezing where she lay.

Tears had already begun to well up in her eyes,"..." she shouldn't be here- she wasn't strong enough. She wasn't... Smart enough to bend. A shudder passed through her,"... I don't know why I stay." she breathed to the night sky, fingers twitching slightly

Medievarad

"Gods, you smell," Artorias stated, stoking the fire he had created. Ignoring her words. Or perhaps his presence caused her to never say it. Hakon had been too caught up with cleaning fecies and other rather unmentionable bussiness to notice or even hear him. He shook his head and took a deep breath. "To be expected from latrine duty," he stated. As the soft scent of roasted coffee beans slowly filled the air.

"Hakon, there are times when you do as a superior asks," he huffed softly. "Contrary to your believes, we don't want to kill you."

AevumEternity

Looks up abruptly, briefly shocked by his presence before letting her head thump against the ground once more with an exasperated sigh," Thats what happens when you're mucking out human shit... Another reason I prefer horses." She answers, pushing herself up shakily and sidling over to the fire, not daring to look down at herself, knowing she would have to drown herself in the nearby rivers just to get the first layer of stench off.

" I know..." she mutters quietly, pulling her knees up to her chest with a sigh,"... I know I have to listen in order to get out of here, to survive- but... I don't know," she shakes her head, looking toward him with tired eyes,"... Were you perfect here?"

Medievarad

Artorias let out a surprisingly warm, booming chuckle. "Prefer horse shit, or just horses?" He inquired with a soft shake of his head. He picked up a cup and offered it, "here, warm up," he advised, before leaning back.

"Perfect when I started? I wished," he snorted softly. "I was one of the better recruits. But I also was by no means perfect. I still am not a perfect warrior." He folded his arms. "Maybe you'll forget this. Or maybe it's a wisdom you'll never forget. But the perfect warrior is nothing but a sword. The wielder of a sword has a heart, emotions and motivations." He smirked underneath his hood. "I'd hate a perfect warrior. No judgement calls. No sense of right or wrong."

AevumEternity

" Both, I guess-" she chuckles faintly in return, murmuring her thanks as she took the coffee, allowing her hands to thaw out about the metallic cup as she inhaled the familiar, exotic scent to try and push the digusting smell that clung to her still from her nostrils.

Looking up as he spoke, she furrows her brow slightly as she tilts her head,"... So why do we get trained to be perfect warriors then? It's like making the smal pistol over and over again, isn't it? Same parts, same everything-"

Medievarad

"Indeed," he answered, leaning forward, taking a deep breath as he glanced at the fire. "We make sure you are trained to be perfect warriors," he admitted. "But by no means does anyone expect you  to be one. We expect the opposite. For you to make balanced judgement calls. And not to blindly follow orders in most cases."

He glanced at Hakon again. "Balanced, as in. Properly reasoned ones. That's what all the training's for."

AevumEternity

Looking toward Artorias, she tilts her head to one side,"... What happened, when- you know- you were made Grand Master? Was there a lot of fighting?" She asks suddenly, furrowing her brow inquiringly. In truth, she wanted to know how he dealt with it- Artorias surely has encountered and overcome massive waves of dissent so- how did he deal with it all?

Medievarad

"Lords and knights wanted to rebel. Break their oath," he chuckled mirthlessly, taking his own cup with a deep breath. "Even now, some mordecai believe my power to be magic."

He sighed softly.

"I had to duel, even kill, some of my most trusted allies. I was a good Mordecai. But few believed I would make a good leader."

AevumEternity

" Do you think you're a good leader?" she inquires quietly, tilting her head to one side as she watches his features change to that of stony sorrow. Instinctively, she wiped her hand off against the frozen soil, reaching out and placing a hand on his shoulder.

Her eyebrow furrowed faintly, watching him intently for his answer.

Medievarad

"Most of the time, yes," he answered. "Else I would not be where I am. Doing what I do. The Mordecai striving under me." He snorted softly, rolling his shoulder to brush her touch off. He needn't comfort from anyone. It didn't appeal to him. Seemed only like ashe waste of time.

"But it's hard to believe that when you are burying comrades. Or when you are explaining parents their precious child has joined Arnsgar's side."

Tags: