Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Here, There be Dragons

Started by Marakai Trin, December 08, 2016, 01:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

In the darkened skies of the early evening, purple hues heralded the coming of the night - in the distance, the sun yet cast deep shadows from the monolithic mountains known as the Thunderblacks.

Over one such peak, a large, crimson eyed dragon with coal-black scales and massive black wings watched, searching for the one he had heard about.

A massive dragon, said to be as old as time itself. Perhaps old enough to remember the age that he himself had once lived in.

Marakai, the Lost Prince, held little hope of finding a possible link to the long past. But a little hope was what had brought him here. For the reforging of a nation could be nigh, and if this supposed great dragon was who he thought he was...

Well, a little hope, at least.

But he'd been flying up and down the range for hours, circling outward from the Aerie gradually. Wild dragons galore had investigated him, some even answering his roars and telepathic queries with attacks. But the authority if a royal could be heard in his challenge, and all had backed down in fear.

He was losing what little hope he had started with, but he gave one final attempt, here on this peak. He reared back slightly, his eyes flaring bright as fire. Lunging forward quickly, his mouth opening widely and issuing forth a bit of jet-black flame, along with a thunderous roar. Accompanying this was one last telepathic broadcast.

Urra'vin, if you still exist, answer me!!

Medievarad

"A lost creature, crying out my name," the answer would be like a mental pang. "Marakai. Prince of none. Ruler with no land," the human that approached, clad in charred armour, some shreds glowing with a warm orange, smelled ofof dragons. And the voice was familiar. Though far more angry, far more bitter than the lost prince may remember it.

"At the turning of an age, an old friend attempts to find me," Urra'vin glanced up at Marakai. "But for what reason? And why not sooner."

Marakai Trin

Even on a dragon, the twitching of an eye could apparently be comical, as this happened when the elder dragons mental response boomed inside his mind. Recovering shortly after, Marakai looked downward, spotting the diminutive form far below.

He quickly shifted his form, draconic features seemingly melting away to reveal his large frame, standing nearly seven feet in height, garbed in black armor seemingly made of his own hide. He lifted a massive, single edged great sword - perhaps recognized as his fathers - to rest upon one shoulder, a long iron chain attached at its hilt.

He leapt almost casually off the edge he stood upon, coming to land lightly near the older dragon.

"Come, now, Urra'vin. I'd have come sooner, had I been able to."

He looked to his old Clansmen, a passive glow in his crimson eyes. "I was outside of time, apparently, set to hibernate after being brought near death after the defeat of mybrother." That last word was spat rather viciously, and his eyes even flared with hate at the memory.

"He cost me thousands of years, years that I will never get back. And in that time, I find that our once great kingdom has been erased from history. I was looking for anyone who might remember that age, so long ago. And then your name reaches my ears."

Medievarad

"I didn't ask for your excuses, Marakai," he answered with a soft snarl. The armoured warrior folded his arms and gave Marakai a vile look from behind his visor. "Your brother is but a whelp. He himself holds no power. The creature backing him, however, does."

The dragon shook his head. "But regardless. You have spent thousands year outside of time. I have seen the turning of ages. Wars and battles passed during your absence. People I, we, were once acquainted with have died." He let out a bitter growl. "And you missed a lot of burials. Once I performed. Their corpses became heavy to carry. You were nowhere to lend a hand in carrying them."

Urra'vin turned around, shaking his head. "Then you create it without me. I have found at least some peace in serving the First Flame."

Marakai Trin

Marakai's face contorted in rage, more and more with each word the elder dragon spoke. His eyes flared brilliantly, and he found it hard to restrain himself.

In the end, he was unable to. That sword of his collided heavily with the stone wall beside him with an enraged swing, the blade burying itself several feet into the rocky surface. While the dust cloud cleared, the only sounds heard were small stones bouncing across the rocky ground, and the soft tinkling of iron chain as it swung from the swords hilt.

And then came Marakai. He was much louder.

"You dare speak of burying the people we knew!? Friends and comrades?!" Within a single stride, he stood in front of Urra'vin, blood red eyes filled with a primal rage glaring hotly into Urra'vin's.

"Where were you, Urra'vin!?!?" his roar echoing throughout the canyon, loud enough to rattle the stones he'd dislodged before.

"Where were you when that whelp slaughtered the clan? Where were you when I buried my father? My mother and my sister? The thousands of our people my brother killed that day!?"

One massive hand grabbed at the front of the armor Urra'vin wore, fingers wrapping In the metal, bending it with a screech. He was in the others face now.

"You speak as if I committed some great wrong when it was you who fled with the rest!!! You had the gall to call yourself a friend and you fled like a coward, leaving me to bury our entire kingdom!!!"

He released him then with a shove, and turned away, walking back to lay a hand upon the hilt of his father's blade, stuck as it was in the mountain. With little effort, he ripped it free, lowering it to touch the stone ground.

Keen red eyes flared over his shoulder at Urra'vin. "My father would be proud of me Urra'vin. Could you say the same?"

(Uh-oh. He's pissed. o.O;; )

Medievarad

"I was burying my child," Urra'vin hissed, his hand snaking up to grab Marakai's collar and tug him closer. "The newborn that died in the war you caused." He answered in kind, eyes flaring equally to Marakai's. "I cared for you. For your sister and mother," while Urra'vin didn't screech. The anger and resentment in his hissing, bitter voice was more than apparent. "I cared so much for her."

Anger soon replaced by sorrows, more than visible in his eyes. "I regret running. But I wanted to keep what I still had alive. But Hassana killed herself, because my child died."

Urra'vin glanced at Marakai, gritting his teeth. "Did you ever stop and think how difficult the decision was? It was wrong. Hassana would have died either way. And I spent the rest of my days, the thousands of years, able to regret that decision."

A bitter chuckle came from the elder drake. "No. I can't. I loathe myself more than you could ever hate me or Kranath combined."

Marakai Trin

Marakai's eyes came to close, and he lowered his head. His hair, grown long enough in his depression, fell to cover much of his face. When he looked up again, he looked tired, worn. The look he gave Urra'vin then was a stark contrast to the rage he'd given before.

"I'm sorry, Urra'vin. I thought....I thought that what I did, I did for the world. Kranath was seeking to bring the beast here. He wanted to bring Tiamat to earth. I was able to kill him before he succeeded....but at a great cost to myself. To you. I cannot possibly offer enough of an apology, but....I am sorry." He turned away again, looking up into the deepening night, the first stars appearing out of darkness.

It was a moment before he spoke again, and his face remained skyward when he did.

"I've heard many things over the last couple days...nine days ago, you may have noticed the moon, even in its fullness, gave no light. I was atop the ruins that night, and I saw it clearly, far to the south. You...you remember the site of the Tenkou clan, yes? I defeated Kranath there, finally. Deep in what is known now as the Moraki desert. I heard from a friend who saw him."

He turned again to face Urra'vin, his eyes hard, yet at the same time, fearful. He took a single step towards him, and stopped. He looked down at the ground again, eyes hard and burning - in the darkness, the glow from his eyes was enough to illuminate his face. His shame.

"I don't know how. I don't know why, but somehow, all those years ago, I failed. I know I killed him. I tore his body asunder and scattered bits of him about the city of the Tenkou clan. But he's back. He lives again. It's not done yet."

Medievarad

"Perhaps," he shook his head. "But in the process, you took away my world. I do not blame you. I merely tried to preserve." He took a deep sigh. "You needn't apologize. It wasn't your doing. It was Kranath's."

Urra'vin had said enough and decided to listen now. The words angered him to no extent. A rage he had forgotten long ago. One he hadn't felt in ages.

"Perhaps I may be of assistance?" A soft, feminine voice resounded, a woman suddenly stood next Urra'vin, clad in dark robes. Platinum hair swaying softly. A large, silver mask perched infront of her eyes.

"First Fire," Urra'vin answered as he immediately dropped to his knees.

Marakai Trin

Marakai arched a brow quizzically. Who was this masked woman, who could bring a dragon as old and jaded as Urra'vin to his knees with but words and presence?

He lifted the hilt of his sword, turning it on end so its tip rested against the earth. First Fire. Urra'vin had mentioned that before. Name, or Title? The woman smelled deeply of the arcane, he noted, and he instantly wondered what she was.

"I apologize, but I you have me at a disadvantage. Who are you, that Urra'vin serves? First Fire is something I've heard of only just now. Is it your name, or an honorific? And I must apologize if I offend....I am Marakai Trin, once prince of these lands, in an age....long past. I am....acquainted with Urra'vin from long ago."

Medievarad

"Mayhaps, Dragonkin," she answered with a soft smile. "But I know thee, by thine energy, thou hath disappeared quite some time ago."

She shook her head at Urra'vin. "Rise, friend, I hath stated that thee needn't bend thine knee for me," the dragon nodded and pushed himself up again. Valia glanced back at Marakai and approached. "I am Valia Inferum," she stated. "A being of pure fire, made up of the First Flame," she stated easily. But, seeing Marakai was confused by the title prior, an explanation was in order.

"Most dragonkin revere me as their creator."

Marakai Trin

Marakai was silent for several moments, baffled. Creator? Maybe some dragons - he'd heard of his kind sometimes being created through pure elemental magic, much like some of the aberrations that could be found walking the earth. But not him. But his reply was thus:

"....not disappeared. Merely...asleep. Nearly dead, possibly, but not gone."

He then smiled a little bit. "And I don't wish to dispute your words or your claim, but I know of at least three beings who would deny that. First," he raised one finger, "there's me. The Aerie Clan has its religion based around our creation. Second," another finger rose, "there's my bastard of a brother, who serves one of the storied Gods. Third," last finger, "there's the Dread Queen herself. This is who I was telling Urra'vin about, and I know for sure she exists. My brother was and most likely is again accompanied by her essence, and is acting as her avatar. I killed him once - the beast has apparently been gathering enough power to resurrect him."

He lowered his hand, then, and lowered a flat stare. "But I am not here to discuss creation of Dragonkind. There are far more sinister things at work. Again, I apologize if I offend. But my brother, Kranath, wishes to free the Dread Queen from her prison of ice and stone....there." He turned and again lifted his free hand, pointing at the full moon. "Tell me...." he said, a grim smile on his face.

"....when was the last time the moon remained full for nearly a week? The bitch comes, and I intend to stop her. But I cannot do it alone, not this time."

Medievarad

Valia shook her head. "Urra'vin was also raised with thine doctrines," she gave him the gentlest of smiles. "I do not feel insulted or offended by those who choose to believe differently. It is quite the claim after all. But pose thyself this question. Who gave thine creators the spark of life?"

She shook her head, leaving it at that question. "I needn't thine answer, merely ponder it when thou  hath the time to. Meditate on it if thy wishes."

She nodded slowly. "Thine truly cannot witness the moon," she answered, tapping the silver mask. "Though, I hath sensed magicks on the rise that should not exist." She shook her head. "And thou wished for the help of an old friend?"

Urra'vin glanced at Valia, then at Marakai. "I'd help you," he snarled softly. "But she won't. She remains completely neutral through all conflict."

Marakai Trin

Marakai nodded. "Well, I honestly wasn't expecting to find another here anyway, so a gain of one is still an accomplishment, in any case."

He looked back up to the moon, and pondered for a moment. "I have a plan..in a sense. I want to rebuild the Aerie." He then lowered his gaze, to look Urra'vin in the eye. "I know the old Clan doesn't exist anymore - I have no delusions that it does. But if I can gather others to face him - prepare for him - we'll have a much better chance..... Urra'vin, you serve another now. But I must ask, not as a prince, but as someone who doesn't want to see that beast cover the land in death. Will you stand by me, just for this?"

He stepped toward the other, and looked down slightly to meet his gaze. "The Aerie would be open to you, of course, and the armory. I think I may still have something of yours, besides."

Medievarad

"Mayhaps, Dragonkin," Valia answered with a soft nod. "If thee require guidance, thou can findeth me on this very mountain," with that, the robed woman turned around and walked away. Slowly fading out as ashes streaked away by the wind.

Urra'vin met Marakai's eyes. "And as a friend?" He inquired, folding his arms. Before arching an eyebrow. "I'd be surprised if my axe survived all these ages without proper care."

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a short laugh, and nodded. "Of course, as a friend, if you'll have me as one." He then looked and gestured towards his sword.

"I'm sure you're aware who's sword this used to be. I carried it, ever since Kranath's slaughter of the Aerie, and it rested with me for all those years in a blasted cave. It's still flawless, through battle and time." His grin widened.

"I'm sure your axe is fine. Dragonstone is truly wondrous in its timelessness and durability. This sword will likely outlast the both of us, and I'm sure your axe is no different."

The younger Dragon then turned to the side, looking in the direction of the Aerie. "...would you like to see your old home again, then? All the lower levels survived, but the castle itself was....destroyed when I drove off Kranath. That's....going to take some work."

(I have a rough description of the Aerie saved on my phone if you want me to PM it to you, HK)

Medievarad

[I'll check it out when I can, friendo]

"Always," Urra'vin answered, shaking his head. "My initial anger was.. Undeserved. I should save it for that impudent shit Kranath."

He nodded at Marakai's remark. "It's as brilliant as ever," Urra'vin replied with a nod. "So, the mountain cleaver still rests in the amroury where I left it, in one piece."

He followed Marakai's gaze. Inclining his head with a soft sigh. "Let us depart then, I'm sure the ghosts of the past would love to meet me once again."

Marakai Trin

Marakai nodded. "Yes, unfortunately there's not much other than haunting memories and sadness in those empty halls. We'll need to go on foot to get inside...I think both of us transformed would be far too large to enter the ground entrance, and the sky plaza is destroyed."

He turned to look at Urra'vin with a wry grin. "Do you remember the way? Or shall I have to hold your hand like a new hatchling?"

Medievarad

Urra'vin shook his head. "We cannot change the past. However, we can determine at least a bit of the future," he sighed softly. "And we'll tear Kranath from it."

He glanced at Marakai again, snorting as he felt slightly offended. "I'll wipe that smirk of your face." The retort was accompanied by a smirk and a soft chuckle.

Marakai Trin

"There's the Urra'vin I remember." His grin widened. "And you're welcome to try - I'll take you on any day. But let's get you armed first, hmm?"

He began walking, then, his sword hefted over his right shoulded.

"And I surely hope we're able to. I was barely able to by myself, and I had to goad him to anger and force him to transform. Which, believe me, that's easier said than done - he's an unfeeling monster."

He gave a bit of a sigh, and shook his head. "If we can gather others to our cause, it will be much easier to fight in numbers rather than single combat."

Medievarad

"A sparring is always good," he answered, cracking his neck. "But retrieving weaponry would indeed take priority," the dragon stated as he fell into step next to Marakai. "This time, there are no mistakes. Kranath may be unfeeling, but he has created something frightening." He glanced at Marakai.

"An ancient dragon warrior with nothing to lose anymore," he took a deep breath. "Perhaps, but maybe he is also grouping with others. I know he's prideful in his own twisted way. But he's not a fool."

Tags: