Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's time for another Good Idea/Bad Idea! [M] [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 21, 2017, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

This was either the brightest idea she'd ever had, or the dumbest.

Either way, it was already proving lucrative. Her coin purse was already heavier after lightening the purses of several unwary people. These festivals were fantastic for this sort of activity! So many inebriated people, so many distracted people, and so many merchants that were easy to fluster during the chaos. Her quick change scam had already earned her some shiny new coins, and with all of it combined? She'd be able to afford a nice meal for the next few days and maybe even that silk sarong she'd been eying for the last month. Maybe it wasn't practical, but a girl had to treat herself now and then, too.

And then, in a moment of brilliance (or insanity), she'd had a flash of inspiration. An idea that could go either awesomely, or awfully, and perhaps be more sustainable?

Maybe she should enter her name in this whole marriage drawing deal?

It seemed a good idea. The crowd currently gathering looked relatively well off, and she had a chance of marrying someone with money. It was only for a year and a day, anyway. A year and a day of a roof over her head, someone else's food and money, and goddess, if things got weird, she could always just bow out before the year and a day. Who said she would honor the arrangement if it didn't suit her? She could be gone in a flash before anyone ever realized she'd run away.

And maybe, juuuust maybe, if things went really well, she could steal an inheritance.

And so she though, well, hell with it. May as well give it a go! So she'd entered her name, waited to see who the lucky sod was, perked up in interest as her name and another was drawn, and--

Poof!

...There he was.

Right there.

Blinking into existence right before her eyes.

"Gah!" Song yelped, jumping back a step when some guy was just--bam!--there. She bumped the table behind her, and the matchmaker let out a sound of protest and caught a candle before it could topple over. What the...how had...? Song stared up at him--up, because he was tall--and blinked several times to clear her vision, as though it might have been a trick of the light. She had seen magic before, plenty of times, but she had never seen magic that did...that.

"Oh...I'm sorry. I didn't expect..." She shook her head, pressing a hand to her chest as she recovered, and let out a breath. "Well, that. That's a neat trick you did there. Whatever it was."

A pause, and she squinted up at him, and as she did she couldn't help but notice all the other details about him--namely that he was well-dressed and wearing--

...holy shit, were those gemstones?

Huge gemstones!

Instantly, her interest spiked, and she leaned in closer and looked up at him through thick lashes. "How did you do that?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Rit teleported away from Hakon and up onto the stage. He didn't hide his blatant use of magic, since it wasn't elemental magic. Thanati weren't very concerned with non-elemental magic. As long as he didn't disturb the natural order, "the balance" as they called it. The irony was not lost on him, the guardian of the cosmic balance. The pretty little thing he was married to now was startled a bit by his sudden appearance, but he could feel her quickly recover and take him in. What a calculating gaze. She was assessing him. He didn't need his infinite godlike powers to see she was sizing him up.
        "Well Song, my wife," he said with a sweet smile, "such a lovely name you have, and you're so beautiful too," his flattery could not sound more genuine. Who was conning who now? "They call it magic my dear." That's when his smile became a smirk, sarcasm apparent. "It's so lovely to meet you, Song. You may call me Rit. It's much easier." His genuine smile returned as he took her hand and brushed the back of her fingers with his lips like a Serenian noble. "I hope I can be a worthy husband."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...Uh. What was his name again? He remembered hers. His had been something really long and strange sounding.

Oh! Rit! Thank Inima he provided it for her! She'd been so distracted by his obvious wealth that his name had flown right out of her head.

She grinned at his flattery, ducked her head, and batted her eyelashes as he kissed her hand, feigning shy modesty. Oh, a worthy husband, indeed. She wondered if any of the gems encrusted in his sword were loose enough to pry off when he wasn't looking. "It's lovely to meet you, too," she said, and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. She released her hold and trailed her hand along his arms, fingertips ghosting along his skin. "I hope I don't disappoint you. As for you..."

She flicked her gaze up and down, this time blatantly sizing him up. "You're off to a fantastic start."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"I finish strong too, I assure you." Rit enjoyed this dance. Con men and women were always a good source of fun for him. You can't con someone that can read your mind, your emotions, even all of your possible futures. "Would you like to get something to eat with me? Perhaps we could use my standing reservation at The Red Lotus?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...The Red Lotus?

The closest she could ever get to eating at that place was by digging scraps from the rubbish heaps outside it! And this guy had a standing reservation?!

She had hit the jackpot. How much could she milk out of him before he expected her to fulfill any marital duties?

Not that he was bad looking, not by any means. Though that did beg the question of why such an obvious catch had to enter into the ceremony to get a wife in the first place.

"Uh, yes?" she blurted, eyes large--and genuinely so. She didn't have to fake her awe as she clutched his arm in excitement. "The Red Lotus? Oh, Inima, really? Can we? Please?"

Aeytrious

"Of course," Rit replied, "I did offer after all." He put his hand to Songs, gave her a smile, and asked "ready?" A moment later the world around them changed. They were no longer on stage, but in a tiny plush alcove off the kitchen to the Red Lotus. Rit gave Song a moment to acclimate to the sudden change and then helped her to her seat. He sat across from her and after the slightest smile he rang a little bell by his place setting. Immediately a servant stepped through the curtain that cut them off from the restaurant. In that moment, all the noise of the nearby bustle came in, but as the curtain fell back into place, only a faint music could be heard around them.
        "Hello Master Rit, what can the Red Lotus serve you this evening?"
        "Anything the lady likes Romi."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Once again, Song was left gaping when in a blink, they were no longer in the heart of the festival but in a private alcove. She blinked several times and loosened her hold on Rit's hand when she realized she was trying to crush it, and knew she must be gawking like an idiot as she looked around and tried to make sense of what had just happened.

More magic, obviously, she thought before she could open her mouth and ask him another stupid question, and save herself the equally obviously stupid answer. Magic, duh! She let out a breath, momentarily disoriented by the change, and slid into the seat Rit ushered her into.

Holy shit. She had never believed all that bogus crap about this being a lucky day, but boy had she been wrong. Inima forgive her, she was wrong, Inima was right! She would never doubt again!

...Unless somehow she was the one being conned here? But that wouldn't even make sense.

She snapped a look up at Romi, jostled back to reality. "Er. I'll take whatever he gets!" she said, suddenly acutely aware that...yeah, she genuinely had no idea what to order, or what anything either was. Her diet was largely simple: rice. More rice. Even more rice. Veggies. Fruit. Fish when she was lucky. "I'm afraid this is my first time here. But I trust my husband's judgment! What do you get here, hon?"

Aeytrious

"Saffron Rice, chapati, black beans, steamed vegetables, and today's fish special. Two bottles of rice wine, one that's young, and one that's aged," Romi said without a moments hesitation. Rit smiled at the girls precision. She would do well when she finally took over her mother's restaurant.
        "That all sounds perfect Romi," Rit said in praise. The girl colored, though you could barely tell through her dark complexion, and her expression didn't even flicker. "I'd also like your fathers specialty," Romi's eyebrow quirked at that. "And please have your mother come see me when she has a spare moment."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...All that food?  For just one meal? And what was the difference between young and aged wine? She had no flippin' idea. Wine was wine in her world, cheap and lackluster.

And what on earth was the father's specialty?

Looking curiously at Rit, she leaned into him and nudged him lightly. "What's that?" she asked. It was all kind of...overwhelming. Surreal. Half of those didn't even sound like real foods!

Aeytrious

As Romi stepped out to relay the order, Rit explained.
        "You know the Red Lotus is famous for the rolls of rice with fish and other fillings neatly wrapped in seaweed paper," Rit began. "Thanatos has not always had sushi, though similar things have been done. It's now fairly common, as is the use of nori, but the specialty sushi the Red Lotus makes is what has made it so successful." Romi stepped back in with a glass pot of pre-meal tea, that she poured into little glass tea cups. The teapot had runes that glowed on its surface, and runes etched into the teacups began to glow as the tea filled them. She set the teapot on the table before stepping back out. Rit then continued his explanation.
        "The Ameeryan's home has a lovely garden in which they grow many exotic vegetables and some fruits as well," Rit paused to sip his tea. "When Romi's grandfather, Telayomii, was young, he was swept into an adventure by an otherworldly spirit. In his travels, he saw many strange and foreign lands, and he ate of their food. One such food was a fruit called avocado. The locals were more than willing to give Yomii an avocado to bring home, and when he did, he planted it in his yard. There, today, there are now four such trees. They are the only ones in Thanatos, and their care is kept up by hired hand. The trees are bountiful, but for whatever reason, nobody can seem to get them to grow anywhere on the islands except in the Ameeryan's yard. Romi's father has found many delicious applications for the fruit, but there is one that uses so much in a single dish that it is a bit more expensive."
        As if summoned by the end of the explanation, a beautiful, and very voluptuous woman, stepped in bearing a plate. The woman's garb was part saris, part kimono, and all gorgeous. The loose silks showed flesh in all the right places, but left much to the imagination. Romi could be seen waiting outside with a cart filled with more food. The plate in hand, that the woman was putting on the table, had what appeared to be a very long roll of sushi styled to look like a caterpillar. The plate was decorated with sauce drawn into a branch and leaves that the caterpillar sat upon.
        "Rit", the woman exclaimed as she set the large plate on the table. He could barely stand fast enough to be pulled into the woman's embrace. "When will you let me set you up with a beautiful woman? A man like you needs a wife to keep him warm at night."
        "Well Winma," Rit said with a pleasant smile, "I have brought my wife here for our first meal as newlyweds. I'd like to introduce you to Song." Winma turned to look at Song, gave her an appraising eye, and then her face split into a wide grin.
        "Welcome daughter, to the Red Lotus. You will always be as family here, like Rit is family!" She pulled Song out of her seat into a hug, practically drowning the poor thing in her ample bosom. "The family you choose is always the best family to have!"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Oh my Inima this was the best day ever!

She was going to actually get to try some fruit that probably cost more than what she stole in a year!

A fancy dinner, and after that, maybe she could bribe him into buying his dear wife something pretty and hopefully sparkly. But for now, she was just going to bask in the luck shining down on her. She'd never been a particularly spiritual person--she believed, but was far from devout--but maybe she would have to burn some incense for the old goddess.

Sipping her tea and delighting at the flavor, she smiled at Rit's babbling and nodded where it was appropriate. She was less interested in the story and more excited about the food; she hadn't eaten very well the past few days. Though when the first dish came out, she couldn't help but wrinkle her nose before she could catch herself, her brow scrunching up in concern.

That...that looked like a bug...with green mushy stuff--wah!

Before her mind could follow that line of thought much farther, she suddenly found herself gathered up in the older woman's arms, her face squished into her bosom. She turned her head, gasping for air, and awkwardly hugged the lady and patted at her back in a way she hoped came across as affectionate more than a flaily attempt at escape.

"Th-thank you! That's very--mmph! Very kind!" And she pulled back, as gently and politely as she could, and laid her hands on Winma's arms, her own elbows locked to hold the woman at arm's length. She flashed a brilliant smile. "Luck truly shined on us today.  Couldn't have prayed for a better husband. Have you known each other long?"

She supposed it would be wise to know something about the guy she'd just married. See if there was any dirt, or significant details at least. These sorts always did like to overshare.

Aeytrious

"Rit is a dear young man," Winma said, "His Grandfather knew my father-in-law. They traveled together, brought sushi and avocado to Thanatos together." Winma beamed at Rit. She really cared for him. That much was clear. "When he came to give us the news that his father had died, we were very sad, as our families have been quite close over that past sixty years. He continues to do his father, and grandfathers work for the restaurant. It's wonderful to have him as our business partner, and part of our family. If he weren't so much older than her, I would have tried to have him marry Romi, but she's only fourteen." Winma reached out and tussled Rit's hair. "Well I'll let Romi serve you and I'll return before you pop out of here."
        Winma slipped out as her daughter pushed a cart in with bowls and plates. There was no fanfare as Romi set the table with food, and she gave only a single word to them as she departed. "Enjoy."
        Rit reached out and picked up a piece of the caterpillar roll and put the whole thing directly into his mouth. The look of delight on his face was enough to make anyone believe the food was delicious, which it was.
        "Please, eat your fill. We can always order more if this is not enough."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...no wonder this guy was so rich. His grandfather had helped bring over avocados and helped run a fancy restaurant. Which meant this guy probably had gold-lined pockets and one hell of an inheritance. Why, she bet basically anything in his home could fetch a fortune! She could probably steal cups from a tea set and be comfortable! With the way he was casually throwing away his money on stuff he'd be shitting out later...

She had it MADE.

She wondered how long she could stand the arrangement. She'd just have to see what annoying habits he had and how quickly, or often, he expected her to put out. But she supposed she could stand a lot for some sweet, sweet benefits.

Still flying high and feeling rather giddy from her luck, she gave the caterpillar roll one last skeptical look before she shrugged and mimicked him, picking up a piece. It still looked like bug guts to her, and kind of squicky to be eating something that looked so close to an insect, but with a deep breath she popped it in her mouth.

It was a bit too big of a bite, so she covered her mouth and tried to chew, her cheeks puffed out. At first, she braced herself,  ready to spit it back out into her hand--but then she blinked in surprise as the flavors hit her tongue in an explosion, and her posture relaxed.

Oh...that WAS good.

Swallowing down the bite, she wiped her fingers off on a cloth napkin and looked up at Rit in surprise. "That's bloody delicious," she said, and picked up another piece. "I'll admit it looked kind of scary at first, but..."

She took another bite and sighed. "This is what I've been missing out on? Inima bless your grandfather!"

Aeytrious

Being an all powerful divine being, it was obviously not Rit's grandfather that had gone on adventures with Telayomii, but Rit himself, wearing a different face, and using a different name. He had taken Yomii on adventures to the distant continents across the oceans that had yet to make real contact with Le'raana or the surrounding islands. They were journey's of exploration and calm adventure. Yomii wasn't built for combat. When they'd returned home, Rit, Yomii, and Winma's father opened the Red Lotus together. When Yomii's son married Winma, two thirds of the restaurant were owned by the Ameeryan family, with Rit owning the other third. Being in two places at once was not a problem for Rit, and so he played both the parts of father and son. His role as one third owner of the restaurant was to find new ingredients. For him, of course, that was easy. He could magic anything he wanted into existence, and so he would return from time to time to deliver on his promise to bring new fruits, vegetables, and other edible plants.
        "Yes," Rit said to Song, "Inima bless him. His amazing adventures lead me to a life of freedom and wealth. I very much enjoy the fruits of his labor, that I passionately continue." He then focused on the food in front of him. There was no use in letting it get cold.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Song nodded at his words, her mouth stuffed with another bite of...caterpillar. There was a ton of food. She wasn't sure what kind of a pig he thought she was, but she certainly knew he wouldn't have to order more for her, because there wasn't enough room in her belly to eat as much as she wanted to eat. Which was basically everything this place had to offer.

"Thank you, by the way," she said when she finally came up for air and started to slow down her feasting. "For a wonderful time. I'll admit, I just threw my name in for the fun of it, to take a chance, be adventurous, and...well...escape my parents. I had faith that my husband would be a decent man, but I had no idea Inima would grant me someone so handsome and kind."

She smiled up at him, a little sadly, and reached a hand out to stroke his arm. "I'm just a little ashamed that I don't have so much to offer you. I'm afraid I only have the clothes on my back. Leaving in a rush will do that."

Aeytrious

Rit left the comments about her basically needing to flee in a hurry untouched. He wasn't going to bite the bait of his con artist wife. No, he'd let Song's words pass, and instead focus on other things. "Well you don't need anything," he told her. "I always have enough, and even excess." Rit put another piece of the caterpillar roll in his mouth, and after swallowing it down began to work on his fish, rice, beans, and vegetables in earnest. He stirred them all up together and shoveled them into his mouth with the chapati.
        "After we've finished eating, I wanted to do some shopping around the festival. Perhaps I could get you something."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

He may not have taken the sob story bait, but he had taken the bait she truly cared about. Which was the offer to buy her something.

Song perked up at that, her eyes brightening. He had enough, and excess, and he was offering to buy her something! Yes! Score!

"Oh, I'd love that!" she said, and took a sip of tea. "Perhaps something to commemorate our marriage?"

Like jewellery! Lots of jewellery that she could sell off later!

Aeytrious

There was little conversation as Song and Rit finished their meal. What little was spoken was mostly about the food and the tea, and the various ingredients Rit had brought throughout the years. The fish was local, and the freshness was apparent in the quality of the texture and flavor. The beans were of a black variety that were now fairly common, but that were originally brought to the islands by Rit in his previous persona. Rit didn't tell Song that he had also brought this tea recipe as well. That had been long ago, when the Thanati had first fled to the islands.
        When the meal was complete, Rit led Song out through the restaurant. The simple yet opulent decor was gorgeous. Minimalist design with platinum filigree and onyx inlays. Tables set with fine gold banded ebony chopsticks and red silk napkins on white silk tablecloths. They had the fanciest, most plush pillows to sit on. And in the center of every table an obsidian glass bowl with a red lotus floating in it. The wealth brought by the unique and amazing food served at the Red Lotus, had gone far in making the restaurant the most beautiful on the islands.
        The restaurant was packed full, and the lobby was overflowing with patrons waiting for their turn to be served. Rit nodded or waved at a few of the guests. All of the staff greeted him, and he gave them all smiles in turn. Once Rit and Song had exited, Rit turned to his wife.
        "Do you have the energy to walk the festival? There are many shops I'd like to visit."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Enough energy to walk the festival?

Well, it's what she would have been doing anyway, only this time she could walk it with fresh eyes. Normally, she would have spent the day scamming people, pick-pocketing, the usual. She would spend the day working, as it were. But now she could spend it in leisure and actually see what the festival had to offer beyond a few good targets.

Reaching down boldly, Song entwined her fingers with Rit's and squeezed his hand. "Trust me, husband, I've got stamina," she said with a wink his way. "I doubt you could tire me this way. Besides, walking aids digestion, and there's still so much to see." And hopefully buy! It would be a good idea to start reeling in the goods now, build a good stash that she could live off of after she eventually left him.

She smiled up at him. "Where to first, hon?"

Aeytrious

Rit lead the way, guiding Song by the hand she had slipped in his. The stalls and open air shops closest to the restaurants didn't serve any food. They were smart to not try to compete at all. Instead they sold toys and puppets and flowers, and so much more. There were games of chance and games of skill, and even those that measured strength or speed. Rit led Song to the games. He stopped at each game in turn, playing and winning the best prize. No matter the feat required or the amount of rigging the stall runners had done, Rit won it all. It's not fair when competing against a god like being.
        Each time, Rit would hand the winnings to Song. They ranged from crystal jewelry and silk flowers, to toys and even live fish, reptiles, and amphibians in little glass boxes. What Song didn't see, was Rit tipped each stall an amount of coin that would more than pay for each of the prizes. Eventually Song was laden with as many prizes as she could carry, and Rit had to get her sacks to put things in. With all the game stalls won, it was time to visit the ones with goods worth looking at.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Tags: