Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not What it Seems to Be... (OPEN, PM to join)

Started by Celegwen, July 23, 2017, 01:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

The Elf girl ran her long fingers along the ground, feeling the deep boot prints on the path. Still wet, she thought. I'm close.

Aithusa snorted from behind her and covered her already black robes in ashy smoke. He was a young Dragon, always eager for an adventure. Celegwen stood with narrowed eyes, searching the trail for any other signs of her target.

She had accepted the task of bringing a killer to justice. Celegwen played the conversation over in her head:

"I just want justice for my little girl," the now childless father begged, holding a lifeless body in his arms.

Celegwen felt a chill run down her spine, but took her role as a Dragonrider very seriously. Part of being a Dragonrider was helping those in need. She was too late for the child, but the father wanted to face his daughter's killers. Celegwen accepted the mission and vowed to bring justice to the family.

She held onto Aithusa's back spines and crouched on the saddle with her feet in the short stirrups. "Nitara!" She shouted. The Dragon bellowed loudly, taking to the air with two flaps of his massive wings. His white skin reflected beautifully in the sunlight, especially when flying, giving him the power to almost blind people at the right angle.

Upon seeing a figure running further down the trail, Celegwen and Aithusa landed in the figure's pathway, forcing them to stop. "My name is Celegwen Perkhimote of the Adelan Dragonriders," she said, drawing her sword. "Identify yourself."

JackieCat

How could this happen?  How could this be happening?  How?

It couldn't be, that was the only answer.  It couldn't be.  This was all a dream, some crazy fantasy dreamed up after that glass of wine.  There was no other explanation for this.  He was walking through the woods for the Gods' sakes!  Walking through the woods, alone.  No guards, to carriage, nothing.

But Anton was no fool, and despite wanting to believe it with all his heart, this was not a dream.  He replayed the past two days in his mind, trying to convince himself that this wasn't happening.

It had been a nice evening, and he had drank a glass of wine as he prepared for tomorrows trip.  He was going to be meeting with a merchant, but the situation had been quite unsatisfactory, he wouldn't be able to have the meeting at his estate and would have to meet with the merchant at the other man's estate, due to complications with the merchant's health.  So the next morning he set out in a heavily guarded carriage for the merchant's house.  They had arrived in good time and the meeting had gone smoothly, for Anton at least, and he got what he had wanted from the merchant.  It had gone so well, in fact, that their supposedly week-long stay was cut down to only a day.   They had left the man's estate, and that's when the trouble started.

Bandits.  Lots of them.

Anton's guards were overwhelmed, and Anton knew he had no choice but to make a run for it or suffer whatever fate the bandits wanted for him.  The problem was, he was not very good at running.  He was nearly killed as he fled, but somehow, in the confusion of the battle, had been able to escape, and he was now roaming an unfamiliar forest, alone.

And no one at his estate would expect a thing.  Since he didn't stay at the merchant's estate for as long as he thought he would, and the trip took over a week by carriage, his estate wouldn't be expecting him for over two weeks, and by that time anything could have happened to him.

He had been walking for hours, but to the noble it felt like days, weeks.  He wasn't he din't want to go back the way he came, who knows where the bandits were?  But he knew Draconi Forest was huge, and he had no idea how to survive anywhere other than a house.  Perhaps he should take his chances with the bandits?  They probably had raided the carriage and taken off by now, for fear of being caught on the main road.

Yes, he woudl turn around, go back the way he had come, find the main road again and get a ride back to his estate, or at least to a nearby town.  Anton turned around, and then he realized he had no idea which way he had come.  His head nearly exploded from the frustration and shock right there, but he tried to take a deep breath, though his lungs didn't seem to be working correctly.

It took a full five minutes for him to get back into control and start walking again, in the direction he thought he had come from.  Several hours later he knew he had chosen the wrong direction, and by the time night fell, he was exhausted.  His once-fine clothes were torn and dirty, and his feet felt as though they were about to fall off, not to mention the strange feeling in his stomach.  It took him a few hours to realize what it was.  Hunger.  Something he couldn't ever recall feeling before now.  He walked until he couldn't anymore, and he fell asleep at the base of the tree.  By some miraculous luck, he made it through the night without some creature coming upon him, and he started walking again the next day.  Then he found a trail.

Thank the Gods.

He traveled along it all day, exhaustion dragging him down with every step.  Then a shadow passed over him.  He looked up to see a dragon flying above him.  He started to run.

But he knew he couldn't outrun a dragon.  Then it landed in front of him, and he saw the young woman sitting on the dragon's back.  She drew her sword and Anton drew himself up, mustering every last bit of composure he had left.  When she asked for his name he narrowed his eyes.

"Anton Delaware III," he said, managing to keep his composure from slipping. "What is your purpose here?"
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Celegwen

"You are in no place to be asking questions," Celegwen snapped. "I'll allow this one, but I am here for answers."

She sheathed her sword, keeping her hand on the pommel. "I am here on a mission for a grieving father. He lost his only daughter to a horrible death. This man does not have much coin in his purse, but I have soft spot for family. Now, you're going to answer my questions. You can do it easily, or you can see just how many teeth Aithusa here has."

Celegwen folded her arms across her chest. "What business do you have in the Draconi Forests? Where are you coming from, and what is you destination? As well as why are you dressed like a nobleman who has not had a bath in weeks?" She clenched her jaw and glanced at the sun. "Answer quickly and truthfully for I do not take well to liars and thieves."

JackieCat

Anton, despite his situation, was filled with indignation at her words, didn't she know who he was?

Obviously not, but Anton wasn't going to try and convince her and her dragon of anything.  It was an extremely hard thing for the man to do, but he swallowed his pride, well, most of it, as he replied.

"I am not heading anywhere other than civilization," he said, his tone clipped.  "I was apprehended by a band of criminals while I was traveling and had no choice but to flee.  In my haste I was unaware of my surroundings and became lost."  It was nearly impossible for him to admit weakness like this, but no lie could pretend that he was in control of the situation, no matter how much the thought pained him.  "As for why I'm dressed like a nobleman, it is because I am one, and this dirt and state of unkempt is the result of traveling through the forest for the past two days."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Celegwen

"You're headed in the direction opposite of civilization," Celegwen said, pursing her lips. She could tell the man was keeping his ego under control, so she decided to refrain from her typical habit of mockery.

Celegwen grinned slightly and glanced at Aithusa. "Stand down," she said. Aithusa folded his wings against his body and laid down, keeping his head lifted to observe the situation.

She took a deep breath and nodded, looking back at Anton. "These woods are difficult to navigate, especially for a nobleman who, I assume, has not gone a week without a mirror." Grinning, Celegwen looked him up and down. "I'm looking for a killer. I don't know anything about them, other than the fact that they are responsible for the death of an 8-year-old girl and the grief of a caring father. I have a proposition for you, Anton Delaware III. Tell me everything you know about these criminals, down to the color of their fingernails. You tell me about the criminals and help me find the one responsible for a little girl's demise, and I will help you get out of these woods. My word is stronger than Dragonbone, so I expect the same of you." She stuck out her hand for him to shake. "Do we have an agreement?"

JackieCat

Anton did not respond to her comment, but nearly rolled his eyes at her request for his help in avenging some girl's murder.

He was not going to take down any bandits or murderers, and if he was to, it would be from the confines of his estate, coming up with a plan instead of actually out here in the woods gallivanting after the criminals themselves.

But he knew that the only way he was going to live out here was if this young woman helped him, and the only way she was going to help him was if he helped her first.

He looked at her outstretched hand for a moment with disdain before taking it. "We do." He responded, then he dropped her hand and stepped back.  He hadn't seen the bandits very well, he had been in quite a hurry to get away, but if he told that to the woman she could very well dump him right here and leave him to fend for himself.  He would tell her teh truth about what he knew with confidence.

"I had fifteen of my guards with me," he began. "And they were quickly overwhelmed by the bandits, which there were about twenty of.  They were skilled fighters, but wore a variety of worn clothing, nothing to suggest they were part of a very organized operation.  Unless, however, that was how they were intended to come across.  They did not seem interested in anything other than the belongings that were being carried by the wagon.  By all appearances they were simply a bunch of thieves."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Celegwen

Celegwen released a disappointed sigh, pinching the bridge of her nose right above her scar. "If they were only interested in your belongings, there is a high likelihood that they are not the ones I am searching for. Still, the community of criminals tends to have ties where it seems impossible."

A bright smile sprung to her face, and her green eye seemed to glow with excitement. "If they're not part  of an organized operation, they won't be easy to locate. Luckily, I was a bounty hunter before I met Aithusa. I know these woods better than I know myself."

She began climbing onto Aithusa's back with her boots snugly tucked into the stirrups and her hand gripping one of his spines. "Tell me, sir... Are you afraid of heights? And more so, do you remember where your carriage was attacked?"

JackieCat

Oh, this was turning out to be a fine day.  First he's stranded in the forest, and now the only person who can possibly help him requires him to climb onto the back of a dragon.  no, he was not afraid of heights, but that did not mean he relished the thought of doing something like dragon riding.

"If I knew where my carriage had been attacked from here, I would not be lost," he said. "But I may be able to recognize the place on the road where we were attacked.  And as for heights, even if had any qualms about being in the air, they would not stop me from getting out of this place."

Of course, the was the fact that perhaps this woman and her dragon were just as deceitful as the bandits that attacked his carriage, and were planning on killing him or ransoming him anytime they liked, but he favored the odds of him staying alive in the company of these two than his odds of surviving alone in the woods.

(OOC:  Sorry again about the long wait. :P) 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Celegwen

(OOC: Not a problem! Things happen!)

Celegwen grinned cunningly. She had never allowed another person on Aithusa's back, so this was as much an experience for them as it would be for Anton. Either way, she knew her dragon partner, and she knew that the best place to strategically get a view of the situation was from the air.

Celegwen gripped her hand on the spine of Aithusa that was right in front of her and smirked, looking Anton up and down. He was definitely out of his element, but sometimes the best way to earn a notch on your belt was to dive headfirst into the action.

She extended her gloved hand to Anton for him to climb behind her on the massive dragon's back. "Are you ready, nobleman?" She asked with an eager glint in her green eye.

JackieCat

'As ready as I can be.'  Anton thought, but instead of speaking he nodded and took her outstretched hand and climbed onto the dragon's back with a little difficulty.  He did his best to get a secure seat and a firm handhold onto the dragon's spines, though he had no idea how well he would be able to hang on once the dragon took off.

"Are you a bounty hunter or simply a do-gooder out to help?" Anton asked.  He didn't particularly care, but it was something to say, and the man found some comfort in words.  Those were something he usually knew how to use.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Celegwen

"Nitara!" Celegwen shouted, quickly taking hold of Anton's shirt as Aithusa flapped his massive wings and took to the air. It was obvious that Anton had no experience on the back of a dragon, but Celegwen never expected anything more. Once they were in flight, she released her grip and let him sit freely.

"I'm one of the Dragonriders," she said with a hint of pride in her voice. "I don't consider myself a 'do-gooder' because I do play by my own rules. Still, as a Dragonrider, it's my responsibility and honor to serve and protect the people of Adela. If that means getting justice for a grieving father, it's my privaledge to take that role."

She meant every word. Her time as a bounty hunter before rejoining the Dragonriders was short-lived and empty. It did give her the skills needed for a mission like this one though.

JackieCat

The jolt of takeoff caused Anton to almost slip from the dragons back, but he held onto one of the spines in front of his and managed to stay on.  Once they were in the air things were much smoother, and Anton heard what Celegwen said.

Her words were not surprising.  He had known she was honourable, from what she had said before and by the way she acted.

"So, do you give your services to anyone you come across who happens to need help?" Anton asked.  His tone was mostly sincere, but there was a slight hint of sarcasm there as well.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: