Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Field Trip... (Eckhart & Blink)

Started by Wrathwyrm, August 18, 2017, 12:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

That was another thing about people's expressions: They gave away too much.  She wasn't inexperienced with emotion.  She knew he had been taken by surprise. At first, it seemed like he was going to back his way out of it, but then the boy decided to press forward, after all.  Because she, naturally, did not trust him...there was the question of just what the hell he was up to.  His comment was especially suspicious, in that one of the biggest rumors about Thanatos was that they hated foreigners, though naturally their culture would keep them from just saying so.

This was highly suspect.  Still, she would play his game, for now.  She watched as he started climbing her fence.  Well, Aahva would soon find the entire thing crumbling to dust when he was about halfway up, causing him to fall.  All the bone in the area that'd been from her armor suddenly amassed and flew into a travel pack she had on her back, filling it up.  Her scythe came flying into her hand.  She was now ready to go.  Lead the way, young man.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The fence collapsed as Aahva was climbing it, causing him to fall to the ground. He cried out in shock. Looking at the girl, he tried his best not to snap at her. "Next time... Next time warn me before you do that."

"Fucking gay ass foreign motherfucker! That hurt! You're gonna pay for that!"

Doing his best to contain his anger, he would begin to walk in the direction of the restaurant. It would likely take about twenty minutes to walk there. What was worse was that the rain hadn't let up, and Aahva was completely soaked. "This is the most retarded thing I've had to do in my life." he thought bitterly. "It's worse than when Mrs. Krahsna made me stay after school and write lines! And that was pretty fucking retarded."

Looking behind him, Aahva decided he'd try to talk to his new "friend". Not out of any desire for companionship, mind you- he just wanted to see if he could get her to say weird stuff he could make fun of later. "So... What did you say your name was again?"

"Come on, tell me it's something stupid. Foreigners always have stupid names."

Wrathwyrm

Well, he shouldn't have been climbing a fence that she was obviously going to remove in order to get past it herself.  The girl really had nothing to say on the matter, since to her it should have been obvious, so she merely shrugged in response to his beratement.  So, Aahva would be leading her to what she assumed was a bogus location, the two of them still in the rain.  The boy himself didn't like it very much.  It didn't seem to affect the girl much, as it soaked her as well.

Something of note, however: Her cut had stopped bleeding, and may have even been healing already.  Normally, her wounds - if she had any - didn't heal faster unless she killed something.  At the moment of death, the lifeforce of that which she had killed transfers to her and supports her body, usually in extremely good health, a strong body, and the healing of any injuries.  She hadn't killed anything, but her body's unusual healthy nature had kicked in the faster healing...much like the faster-than-normal repair of the bone of her hell earlier.  She wondered about that...

It would have to wait, however, as her guide had decided that silence sucked as bad as the rain and asked for her name.

"Elise...Anicetus.  It's an old family name."

Translation: Her parents were effectively immortal.  Then, without batting an eyelash...

"Tell me something...  Do you deal in magic, as well?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

After a few seconds of trying to get "Elise" to rhyme with "penis" in his head, Aahva gave up it for a bad job. "Man, how am I supposed to work with that?" he thought, dissapointed. "Anicetus isn't much better. It really takes effort to have a name that fucking bland."

"Tell me something...  Do you deal in magic, as well?"

Aahva paused. Looking over his shoulder, he gave Elise a confused look. "Uhh... No?" he said slowly. "What kind of retarded question is that? If I had magic, I'd have used it on you." He turned his head back. "Magic is stupid anyway."

Lowering his voice an octave, Aahva gave his best mage impression. "Oooooh! I can shoot spooky fireballs out of my ass! Beware my power!" Throwing his head back, the boy began to laugh.

Wrathwyrm

She had heard that traditional magic - like fireballs and whatnot - was looked down upon in this country, but Thanatos was a country that boasted a 'mysterious power', and that included necromancers, one of the only reasons she bothered to come.  It wasn't that they eschewed magic altogether, they just thought twisting life and natural elements to be an affront to their goddess.  Kind of like Essyrni and water magic, or any magic used to directly harm life.  Or Connlaoth and...well...anything, really.

Now, we should point out that while she didn't like him making fun of magic, the image of a mage shooting a fireball out of his ass was amusing.  Hell, Elise actually cracked a smile at it.  Honestly, the girl DID have a sense of humor.  It was just that it was largely internal.  'Oh, how zen!', says John De Lancie, off to the side there.  Well, I'm sorry, but a belly laugh is out of the question.  Still, she was almost certain that he must have power.

"I don't mean like that.  I mean such as healing or strengthening.  You wouldn't do any good hurling that at me, but look."

She pushed back her wet bangs and showed that the wound he'd inflicted earlier was all but closed.  Not scabbed.  Closing.  It had happened even faster than she had been expecting, and Elise tended to recover quickly.  It wasn't even going to scar.  Well...okay, she never scarred, but even for a normal person, it wouldn't scar.

"It's either you or those fishermen, and neither one of you would have intended it.  I think you're just unaware of the thing."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Turning his head again to look at Elise, Aahva saw the a flicker of a smile on the girl's face. He blinked, and it was gone. Had he imagined it? He didn't have time to think much of it before Elise began to speak again.

"I don't mean like that.  I mean such as healing or strengthening.  You wouldn't do any good hurling that at me, but look."

Elise pulled back her hair, revealing her forehead. Aahva's eyes widened, and stopped and turned to face her. To his dismay, where there should have been a sizable gash was now a barely visible cut. "But... But I hit her dead on! There no way that's all I managed to do to her!"

"I think you're just unaware of the thing."

Aahva shook his head violently. "Nuh-uh! If I had magic, it'd be something cool like going invisible, or seeing the future! I wouldn't have some gay ass healing power." Crossing his arms, he gave Elise a nasty grin. "I bet if I punched you in the face and broke your nose, I wouldn't be able to heal it." he said snidely. "What do you say? Wanna test my theory?"

Wrathwyrm

Letting her hair fall back into place, Elise just sort of watched as he continued to deny the possibility.  It seemed to her that he was completely unaware of it.  It had to be him.  Even now, there was something, how ever slight.  She had the feeling that her cut may disappear entirely by the time this conversation was over.  Aahva seemed rather keen on testing this out by punching her in the face.  More likely, he wanted to do it so he could escape.  No, we're done with letting people attack first.

"Your sling wasn't enough?  I should be hitting you for that."

She also crossed her arms, but the one holding the scythe was tapping the ground with it.

"I know how magic works.  I know that my body recovers from things faster when it takes in energy.  Whether you're a healer or giving off energy freely, you're making my abilities work faster, stronger.  No harm you could do would be permanent, and I'd have to hurt you back, to see if you can heal yourself."

You might not wanna push that too far, Aahva.  She's stronger than she looks.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva's stared blankly at Elise when she stated she'd have to hit him back. Aahva's family situation wasn't the greatest- getting hit by one or both of his parents was part of his daily routine. It was for exactly this reason he knew the girl had to be playing some kind of trick on him- he'd had plenty of opportunities to discover he had healing magic, and yet he never did. Still, if it'd let him prove Elise wrong...

"Hit me then, bitch! You probably punch like a girl anyway!"

Wrathwyrm

His angry invitation did not ward her off.  She meant it, so if he was calling her bluff...well...it wasn't going to work.  She was certain that he must be doing something, and this would narrow it down.  Elise stuck the point of her scythe into the ground behind her, before her arm pulled back and he hand formed a fist.  Where to strike?  In the same place he fired his sling?  Sure, that makes sense.

Elise...didn't hit like a girl.

She was stronger than she looked, maybe more like an adult's strength.  One second, her fist had been poised to strike, and in the next, he'd be feeling some pain, provided she didn't knock him out.  These weren't love taps.  Naturally, if any adult was bearing witness to this, there were going to be some questions, but Elise could honestly tell them that he was asking for it.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva would be lying if he said it didn't hurt. He staggered backwards, a grunt of pain escaping his throat. Clutching his forehead, he looked up at Elise with a pained grin on his face. He had been hit worse, believe it or not. The girl, while strong, wasn't his father. He chuckled almost triumphantly, although it was clear as day that he was holding back tears. "I was wrong... You don't hit like a girl- my friend Kita punches way harder."

Standing up straight again, Aahva lifted up his soggy hair in a mockery of what Elise had done not minutes earlier. A welt was beginning to form where she had struck him. "See? It's not healing." He crossed his arms and gave the girl a smug grin. "I bet you feel stupid now, huh Elise?"

Wrathwyrm

"Kita must be very forgiving, then."

After all, he didn't look like his friend socked him every day of his life for acting this way.  It'd show, in that case.  Still, he was clearly trying to save face, as she knew that she'd surprised adults with her strength before and very quickly put them in a world of hurt, largely because her capacity for mercy came in small doses.  He was also trying to make her feel bad because he did not appear to be healing.  Meanwhile, she wasn't even feeling sore in her knuckles.  This was disappointing, but she was undetered.

"Maybe I should keep hitting you.  They say that magic can manifest very strongly through desperation, and I think you're just forcing it down to spite me."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva's eye twitched. "Naw, you shouldn't embarrass yourself any more." he replied condescendingly. "You already look stupid enough." Turning around, he began to walk once more. He didn't want to talk about Elise's theory anymore, and he felt he had proven his point. "Forcing it down? Yeah right, retard. You're grasping at straws and you know it."

The rain had yet to let up, and Aahva's nose was beginning to run. Sniffling, he decided to change the subject to something else. "So Elise, are you from Serendipity? Because you look like you're from gay fairy land."

Wrathwyrm

Hah.  Of course he didn't want to get a beating.  He'd feel especially bad if he lost, which he would since she was actually skilled in combat.  Of course, if she was right, he was going to feel extremely stupid if it turned out she had guessed right.  Elise felt like she could pull bones from a live target now, and that was alot harder than taking the bones of a dead man.  When the boy - Aahva had yet to give out his name - decided to make fun of her again, she only found it amusing that he continued to poke fun at someone who could easily end him and turn him into one of her pawns.

"You keep using that word.  Are you sure you know what it actually means?"

The rain was, by the by, having basically no effect on Elise apart from getting her wet.

"Besides, I come from Essyrn.  You know...that desert nation with the giant city. You'd probably like it in there, except you'd probably die of thirst.  This climate spoils you with water."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva giggled. If Elise thought she could out-banter him, then she was sorely mistaken. "Essyrn?" he replied. "Really? Where's your tan then? Are you a shut-in?"

A question suddenly came to Aahva's mind- an actual question, not a veiled insult. "So wait, if you're a necromancer, and you're from the desert..." he began, his curiosity audible. "...Why do you use bones and not mummies?"

Wrathwyrm

She thought about that for a moment.  A life among the under, the dark necropolic, the armor often shielding her from danger...

"Kind of, but I also don't tan very much."

Then, he asked about mummies, and she was sure there were some around, back home, but mummies are essentially what you get when you get a corpse that's undergone specific burial rites...or at least been made to dry out significantly.  It seemed as though her mouthy guide knew at least something of necromancy...

"I can awaken any undead.  What they are depends on the state their in.  I just prefer bone because it's it's cleaner and a hardened material.  Flesh is for the living.  Zombies and mummies will eventually rot down to the bone, anyway.  My warriors will consume the flesh and other things, storing it inside of them, and then spray it right in unsuspecting faces!"

That had to be the loudest he'd ever heard her speaking, with exaltation even.  It wasn't exactly a yell, more of a loud declaration at the point of 'spray it right in their faces'.  It DID seem to amuse her, as well, because that small smile was back.

"I can also make sandstorms."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva stopped. "Wait, you mean you throw nasty shit at people too?" Grinning, he looked behind him once more- and this time, the smile on the girls face didn't disappear. Aahva's smile was genuine too, rather then the condescending smirk he usually wore. "But I do that all the time! This one time, I stole a bucket of fish guts from the pier, and then-"

Aahva sneezed violently. Sniffling, he continued. "- and then I took it, and I dumped it that pussy ass bitch Jinta's head!" Feeling a newfound sense of respect for Elise, he spit on his hand and outstretched it to shake her own. "I'm Aahva."

Wrathwyrm

His reaction was surprising.  She thought that Thanati hated overt displays of elemental magic, much the same way Essryni have laws against using magic to destroy.  Then again, this boy did seem to flout tradition about as much as she did.  He was some kind of roughneck and Elise just didn't care about such things.  She only kept appearances for convenience sake.  Cross her at your own peril.  At everyone's peril.

No matter.  He seemed to genuinely like the fact that she blasted people and areas with sand and grit.  He probably didn't know that she also killed people this way, sometimes.  Sandblasting people to death was a horrible way to die, for them.  The skin and eyes are torn away, the mouth and nose fill with sand, and while they desperately try to protect their exposed parts from it all while choking and gasping, blood flows freely and is blow away as muscle is torn away, as well.  They die painfully, then the sand strips the flesh entirely, leaving only beautiful bones.

He sneezed while recalling a story involving dumping fish-guts on someone she didn't know.  Was something wrong with him?  Why did he sneeze?  Err, while Elise was essentially never  sick, she wasn't unfamiliar with disease.  However, she naturally assumed that the weather couldn't affect people from Thanatos, since they lived with this all their lives, like how she lived with the dead.  Then, Aahva finally introduced himself and extended his hand.  Uhh...  Elise sort of looked at it for a second, then at him.  She wasn't unfamiliar with a handshake.  They did that in Essyrn, and other places.  What she didn't understand was...

"Why did you spit on your hand?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Aahva blinked in confusion. "Um... It's just, like, what you do." Truthfully, he had never put much thought into the action- he had learned it from other kids at school. "You need to spit on yours, too. It's like, a respect thing."

Sniffling, he gave Elise a coy smile. "Don't tell me the girl who messes with dead bodies is afraid of a little spit."

Wrathwyrm

She shook her head at his baiting question.

"No, I've just...never heard of it before."

After all, Elise never really knew any kids.  She was the youngest of her family, and there were no schools where she lived, and she just didn't talk to people that much.  Look, it's just one of those things, alright?  Shrugging, she spat on her hand and reached out to grasp his.  Since she was familiar with the handshake - though it was tradition for the male to wait for the female's first or to give the bow to the man before he can thrust out his own hand - this part was of no difficulty for her.

It was...strange, taking hold of a warm-blooded human hand.  Her hand was gloved, but with her body being so well-maintained, she felt it anyway.  She didn't really grip live humans very often, and usually that was only in the case of pulling them into a waiting death, like at the end of her scythe or something.  Human lives - or ANY lives - were sustenance.  The warmth of their lifeforce was sucked immediately into her upon their death at her hands.  This was very different.

As for Aahva...

He'd probably find it weird that she didn't remove her glove first, but then she didn't know, anyway.  He would also feel like blood pumped in her veins, and that she wasn't a walking corpse, per se.  However, there was definitely more to this than that.  At the same time, a feeling would pass over him, a dark feeling...  It was unmistakeable, that feeling of necromantic energy, the power of unlife.  It was like she wasn't a normal necromancer looking outwards towards the boundary of life and death, but like she was out there and peering in.

Well, that would explain alot of her behavior, at the very least.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Elise's glove was soggy from the rain, which made the handshake rather unpleasant. There was something else too- Elise felt wrong, somehow. He wasn't sure what it was or how to explain it, but it gave Aahva the creeps. He pulled away from the handshake after only a few seconds, nervous look on his face. "Um... We'll be there soon, so lets keep going now."

They were reaching the touristy part of town, and it was almost baffling how different everything looked. Colorful lanterns lit the street, and even in the rain there were still a few foreigners wandering about. There was a tourist trap on every corner, selling everything from overpriced beads to "genuine" Thanati calligraphy. The sight of such an obvious facade made Aahva angry, so he decided to distract himself.

"So Elise, what's the best reaction you've ever gotten out of somebody? Having zombies barf at people sounds fucking funny!"

Tags: