Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Least Dangerous Game (Atlas!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, September 04, 2017, 10:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Perfect! They're in view."

Sarah Whitechalk sat in a tree on the outskirts of Zantaric. She was practicing her assassination skills today, and she had been following her "target" for the better part of the day. She didn't know the person she was following- she'd chosen them at random. Sara held her binoculars up to her eyes. "They're alone. Nobody else in sight. Awesome."

Finally, it happened- her target craned their neck to look at something, allowing Sarah a perfect view of their carotid artery. She grinned. "Yes! This is the part where I'd kill them! I win!"

Sarah, of course, didn't actually kill her target- she had no reason too. She liked knowing that she could have killed them though, and that's what mattered. Satisfied, she began to climb out of the tree...

...And with a loud *SNAP*, the branch she'd been sitting on broke off of the tree. Sarah yelped as she plummeted to the ground, landing on the ground with a dull thud. In a daze, she looked up to see her target staring at her. Sarah went pale- the binoculars in her hands made it fairly obvious that she'd been watching somebody, and since they were the only other person around...

"Shit! It's, uh, not what it looks like!"

Atlas

"How long until sundown?

A ray of sunlight glinted in N.'s deep brown eyes as he walked towards the edge of Zantaric. He was looking to go and get a job from somewhere other than Zantaric for a change. He raised up his hand and craned his neck in order to read the time based on the sun's position. He stared at his hand for a second trying to remember how exactly to measure the sun.

"Is each finger an hour, or is it 15 minutes? Is this even the right hand?" N. dropped his hand and sighed out loud.

Giving up, N. checked inside his shirt for the small pouch of coins he had. He tried to guess about how far he could get on these coins alone. "Maybe I could get a job humiliating a Connlaothian commander..."

There was a sudden *Snap*, and N.'s swiveled around to see a girl in her twenties fall out of a tree. He looked at her hand and saw a pair of binoculars. "Shit! Was she just watching me? Does she know who I am?!" N. kept calm on the surface as this was going on. He started to rationalize, "There's no way she would know, and if I act normal now, everything will be fine."

N. walked over to her, took a knee, and looked her over, "It looks like you fell pretty hard there, are you alright?" He put on a concerned face. "What are you doing watching strangers from treetops? There are some people in this city that would act a lot worse than me if they caught you doing watching them." In order to truly nail the ignorance role he decided he would be playing today, he whispered to her, "I think that there might be some criminals on the loose here."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah's face flushed red with embarrassment as the lizard guy she had been stalking approached her. He wasn't making any threatening movements, and seemed to be more intent on finding out why she had been watching him then on exacting any revenge.

Actually, the lizardman seemed a bit naive. The gears in Sarah's head began to spin. "Okay." she thought. "I can use that."

"There sure are criminals on the loose!" she said as she sat up straight. "That's why I had to watch you! What if somebody tried to mug you on your way out of the city?"

"That's believable, right?"

Atlas

N.'s eyes briefly flashed with relief as the girl spoke, confirming that she had fallen for his facade. "She's still lying, I know that, but why?" As he thought that over he stood up straight and calmly looked around their surroundings, looking to see if anyone else was lurking about.

He smiled at her as his mind began to adapt to this naive way of thinking, "That is So kind of you. Really, if there were only more people in this world like you." N. spoke slowly, as if he had all of the time in the world.

He slapped his knee, "I knew there had to be at least one good person in this silly old town, everyone I've met up until now has been quite rude."

N. was screaming internally, fed up with how he was being forced to act, "This is one of the most demeaning things I have ever had to do, and it isn't even for a job!"

He put his hand out to help her up, "My name is Ned, what's yours?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah beamed. "Ha! Fucker bought it!" she thought smugly. Grabbing Ned's scaly hand, she allowed him to help her up. "I try my best." she said, grinning. "Name's Sarah."

"This guy is a total moron!" she thought excitedly. "I wonder what else I can get him to believe!"

Sarah shifted her weight slightly. "Oh my god, you would not believe how many rude people live here! Why, just the other day, some asshole wearing nothing but a moldy bathrobe tried to chat me up while I was reading in the library! Like, man, go away!"

"Haha! We don't even have a library here!"

Atlas

A shadow briefly passed over N.'s face, he knew this city inside and out, yet he had never heard mention of a library. His thoughts immediately went to his concealed weapon, he had no clue who this girl was, or what exactly she was doing, but it made him uneasy. "No, it's too early to kill her, and if I unnecessarily kill her, questions will be asked. Nobody like her lives in this town without a few friends."

N. began to think of a way to expose her lie, and perhaps see more what she had been attempting. "I have no clue who you are, but you had better be very careful, or I will make sure your body is never found." It finally struck him exactly how he could call her bluff.

N.'s face showed an exaggerated look of surprise, and his jaw dropped. "This city has a library? I have loved libraries ever since I was young, could you bring me there?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Sarah grinned. "Ho-lee shit, this has got to be the dumbest person I've ever met. I cannot waste an opportunity like this." She bounced on her heels. "Of course I can! I know this city like the back of my hand!" She pointed in the direction of the town. "Follow me!"

"I'm just gonna lead him in circles," she thought as she began to walk in the direction she was pointing. "See how long before he notices!"

Atlas

Sarah's eager response caught N off-guard, "What in the hell is going on here..." He shook his head slightly in amazement when he turned her back, at least it seemed that she was buying his act, not that he knew if that was a good or bad thing anymore. He slowly began to follow her.

"This is just getting ridiculous," thought N. with a stupid smile on his face. Having to be this way was starting to hurt. Still, he persisted, with the thought that this girl must be up to something, or at the very least, connected to something.

Tags: