Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bone and Sword [Eckhart]

Started by Codex, September 18, 2017, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Codex

The tree snapped in half with the furious strike of the beast's spined tail. Seeing this, Laina wasted no time rolling out of the way just as the large trunk slammed into the earth, dirt erupting around it to enforce the already convincing reality that this creature was not screwing around. Grunting, her head turned back towards the large lizard. The monster was a towering 20 foot beast with massive long jaws akin to a crocodile. It's body was nearly twice its height in length, and was covered in sharp spines and vibrant colored feathers. It roared at her, lunging forward for another bite. Raising her arm just in time, her tower shield halted the beast's mouth around her. Struggling to hold it there, she gave a furious yell before stabbing her blade through the creature's gums! It gave a furious painful screech, jerking back. Seeing the opportunity, Laina quickly rolled underneath the monster's legs, spinning and slashing at its ankles. Her strikes were fast and deadly, causing deep cuts in both that made the monster hiss in pain, swinging its tail to strike her! Taken by surprise from the beast's sudden speed, she only had time to raise her shield before taking the full force of the blow! The impact sent Laina flying backwards several feet before skidding on the ground. Her blade left her hands, and her head trickling blood over her eye. Her body ached with pain and her lungs struggled to breath without stinging... But she knew this was life or death.

Slowly turning her body over, her arm gripped the shield tightly just as the monster stood over her, prepared to finish the girl off. With a powerful lunge it bit down on the metal object hard as she sturggled to hold it still. Realizing she wasn't going to let go, the creature instead lifted it off the ground, Laina with it, and hurled it around throwing it against a tree. She was flung through the air, and was hit with the unwelcomed force of a strong tree trunk. She fell to the ground at the tree's base, still holding onto her trusty shield. Her head looked up to see the monster's large feet lumbering towards her. SHe needed to think of something.. FAST! And that's when she got an idea. As soon as the monster broke into a charge, Laina stood on her feet and grabbed a broken branch! Raising her shield once more, the monster locked its jaws around it and pushed her back into the tree! Struggling to hold it there, she could see the wet saliva mixed with blood dripping off the monster's teeth onto her shield. Seeing the opportunity, she flipped the branch over to the broken side, and plunged it into the bottom half of the creatures neck! It roared in pain and quickly let go of her shield! Seizing the opportunity, Laina swung it as hard as she could into the monster's face. Several smaller teeth broke from its skull and flew out of its mouth, but before the beast could react, another blow from her shield came in the form of an uppercut! And finally she ended it all with a quick jab from above, slamming the sharp bottom side of the shield straight into the monster's exposed skull...

Laina sat against the tree trunk, breathing heavily as the large monster's corpse rotted at her feet. That creature was far more difficult to take down then most. That was because it was not the same as most. It was a Dur'avin. A type of beast known to be far larger and more aggressive then regular monsters. However, the thing that set them truly apart from others was the fact that all these creatures were completely resistant to magic. It had no effect on them, thus making them extremely hard to kill. No mage would stand a chance against these beasts, only metal could end them... And that's why Laina was here. She had been hunting them for years now. However, she knew she could no longer do it alone. That battle was too close for her liking, and knew the monster, had it been a tiny bit smarter, could've easily ended her life on multiple occasions. She'd need to find someone just as skilled as her if she intended to continue this line of work. However, she didn't need to think about that now, the beast was dead, and the people of the nearby village were safe... For now at least.

Her body ached and she could feel a few dislocated bones, but other than that, Laina was fine. She'd need to rest for at least a day before she'd be ready for another battle of that magnitude, but she was confident in herself. Leaning over to pick up her leaf covered blade, She'd sheath it and then give her shield arm a few stretches after placing the large towershield on her back. Turning back to the dead monster, what the locals had called "Feather Jaw." She took out a smaller dagger from her waist and leaned down next to the monster's large head. Stabbing its eye, she cut it out in less then a minute. IT oozed with weird reddish yellowish blood, but remained mostly intact. Satisfied, she opened a small bag she had hid before the battle and placed it inside, as well as taking a few feathers. They always needed proof of the creature's death, and here it was.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"This is going to be so cool!"

Hoss trekked through the forest, a smile on her face. Tales of an horrendous beast had sprung up in the surrounding villages- a beast the locals dubbed "Featherjaw". Said beast was becoming a menace- and therefore, in Hoss's mind, it had to be evil. And if it was evil... Then it was Hoss's job to kill it.

"Oh my god, this will be epic!" the teenager thought excitedly. "First, I'm gonna rush it with my axe and slice it's legs of! Then I'll shoot it a bunch of times, and then I'll cut it in half!"

Suddenly, Hoss heard it- an unearthly howl in the distance. It had to be the beast. Exhilarated, Hoss ran in the direction the noise came from...

Only to find that the beast had already been killed, and a woman in armor was looting it's corpse. "What? Come on!" Hoss yelled angrily. "That was supposed to be my kill!"

Codex

As Laina put the last feather in her bag, a higher pitched tone hit her ears. She looked around curiously to spot what appeared to be a much younger girl. Curious. Apparently Laina had stolen this girl's kill. She hadn't found herself in a situation where someone was angry with her to getting a kill before them... Well, aside from bounty hunters who were too slow to kill the monster before Laina stepped in.

Slinging the pack over her arm, Laina stood up. "Uh.. Sorry kid." She said, not exactly knowing how to respond. She honestly had no idea if this kid was being serious or not, she certainly seemed a bit young to be monster hunting. Especially Dur'avin hunting. However, Laina was taking down baddies 3 times her size when she was this girl's age as well. "Was a difficult fight. Be glad I got here before you did." She said, passing her by.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Hoss's face contorted into an angry grimace. Somebody getting to the monster before her was one thing, but for them to blow her off as well? That was too far. "Lucky?" Hoss asked indignantly. "Lucky? That beast looks so lame, I could have beaten it with my eyes closed."

As the woman walked away, Hoss began to follow her. "You should feel lucky. If I wasn't one hundred percent pure righteousness, I'd kick your ass for dissing me like that."

Codex

Laina would shift the bag around her arm and sigh as the girl began let her anger get the better at her. However, it didn't stop there. The girl would then continue to follow the beast slayer towards the path. She'd climb over a log and duck her head underneath a branch as she stepped onto the small road, trying her best to ignore the girl.

"And should I feel equally as lucky that you would bother to grace me with your presence? Surly a skilled warrior like yourself has something better to do." Laina retorted sarcastically.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"You should feel lucky!" Hoss replied, the sarcasm of the woman's statement clearly lost on her. "I'm going to be the greatest adventurer in Le'raana someday!" She would continue to follow the woman down the road- truthfully, Hoss didn't have anything better to do.

"Someday, you'll be able to tell your kids that you met the legendary Hoss Goodheart! I hope you realize that."

Tags: