Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Magic Calls To Me

Started by Anonymous, March 25, 2006, 05:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The small wild cat sat in a tree on the edge of the village. Unblinking eyes watched the village folk go about their business. Those very same eyes were not the expected golden eyes of a cat but they were a warm chocolate brown. The cat dipped its head to groom itself. The filtered sunlight flashed across the tufted ears of the cat. Again the cat stopped its grooming and looked at the village again. This time its gaze wandered toward the temple in the center of the village.

The magic called to her. It was time for the monthly ritual again. The linx stretched before swiftly leaping to the forest floor below her. The small cat bounded towards a large rock. A few moments later a fully grown elf walked from behind the very same rock and out towards the village. She saw the faces and eyes that towards her. She took little notice though and instead remained walking towards the temple.

(open to anyone)

Anonymous

Shifting his satchel a bit on his back, Wizard continues down the path he's found, blue eyes bright and alert as he looks around eagerly. This place doesn't look cultivated, exactly - it's a forest, after all - but it's much less wild than the woods he'd been picking his way through the day before. And there's the path, of course. He's thrilled to have a path, because now he can move freely, instead of struggling through vines and thorns and climbing over saplings, and there's well-maintained packed dirt under his bare feet instead of rocks and pine needles and twigs and all sorts of other pointy and painful objects. Woods, Wizard had decided much earlier in the week, are not his sort of place. They're hard on his feet, and they're full of deer and wolves and other horrible beasts, and his hair kept getting caught on things and pulling and that hurt, and his clothes weren't that good in the first place but that doesn't mean they needed to be even more tattered than they already are, and he'd found a stream but there's no food anywhere. But most importantly, there aren't any people. Wizard is not the type of person who takes well to solitude.

As he rounds a curve in the path, Wizard's face lights up with an irrepressible grin. Through the trees, he can see the edges of a village not far away. Whooping happily, the young man breaks into an odd bounding run, satchel bouncing on his back, and races towards the village. Breaking out of the trees into full sunlight, he slows down for a moment, spinning around to take in the new place he's entered; when he stops spinning, his long brown hair, held together more by dried mud and tangles than the string keeping it in a loose ponytail, smacks him in the face. Used to this, Wizard calmly pulls strands of hair out of his face and reaches back to loop the ends of the string around the locks that have straggled out of the ponytail, the grin never leaving his face. People! There are people here! And houses and stores, and unfettered sunlight, and possibly food if he asks nicely enough and offers people shiny things in return. And probably horses and other animals, he realizes after a moment, skittering backwards away from a barking dog, but this isn't enough to dampen the grin on his face. He just needs to find an interesting-looking person, introduce himself, and see-

"Eeep!" Looking around with wide eyes at the village, Wizard hasn't been paying attention to where he's stepping as he bounces eagerly around, and he doesn't notice the cat until he nearly steps on it. The hisses loudly and Wizard automatically dodges, fearing for his bare ankles; caught off-balance, he missteps and manages to land sprawling in the dirt. This is okay, falling happens sometimes, and at least he didn't get cat-clawed, but it still takes him a moment to catch his breath. When he does, he rolls over, satchel digging uncomfortably into his back, and finds himself looking up - well, up at an angle, anyway - at a pretty brown-haired woman with strange ears that he wouldn't mind seeing closer up. "'M I in yer way?" he asks, belatedly realizing that he's sort of fallen into her path. Scrambling into his feet, Wizard smiles sheepishly at her, curiousity and cheerful friendliness lurking behind the apologetic expression. "'M sorry, I didn't mean t'be! 'M Wizard, who're you?" he asks curiously, his head tilted slightly to one side.

Anonymous

Linwe closed her eyes for a moment feeling the small tug of the elements all around her. She continued to walk towards the temple. Her ears bristled at the sound of a nearby barking dog. The cat in her wanted to hiss and spit at the offensive sound. The elf in her maintained control however. Moments later a more familiar sound filled her ears, the hissing of a cat. A human yelped and out of the corner of her eye she saw the figure trip and fall. She stopped walking and the figure fell at her feet.

Warm chocolate eyes looked down on the figure. He appeared to have seen better days but he also appeared to be human so his appearance didn't surprise her. Her gaze followed him as he stood and introduced himself. Linwe nodded her head. She spook softly, "I am Linwe Cirytan, known as Linwe though." She looked over him as he stood before her. He appeared to be traveling. "What brings you to La'marri?" She took a step forward hoping to continue walking as they talked.

Anonymous

She's actually talking to him! And she doesn't seem too upset about having him land in her path. Wizard's grin shifts from apologetic to simply friendly, and he bounces a little in place, rising and falling on the balls of his feet. It's just not in the young man's nature to stay still for more than a few seconds. "Nice to meetcha, Linwe!" he says cheerfully, beaming at her. (As far as Wizard is concerned, pronunciation is something that happens to other people.) He cocks his head to the side, rather bird-like, and manages to bite back further chatter until she finishes speaking. The question makes him blink a few times as he ponders it, never ceasing the slight bouncing, and then the grin returns. "La'marri? That's this place?" Wizard doesn't wait for confirmation, simply continuing on his assumption. "The road brought me! That's not what y'meant, right? I followed it after I found it, but I wasn't really looking for La'marri except that I was looking for a place with people in, and maybe food... hey, wait up!" Wizard interrupts himself, the cry too cheerful to be a protest as he bounds after Linwe. He doesn't really need to rush, and occupies himself for a moment with matching his steps to hers, eyes on her feet. When they're synchronized to his satisfaction, Wizard looks up again, unwittingly falling out of lockstep almost as soon as he does so.

"I wasn't really looking for La'marri," he repeats, somehow managing to wander back onto the same subject he'd left off from - something that doesn't always happen, when Wizard's talking. "I was exploring. I wanna go all over the world, someday." Joyful anticipation glows on his face when he says this, the light of the idealistic and slightly cracked glittering in his blue eyes. "But I kinda got lost in the woods, 'till I found the road, and then I followed it here. Is that whatcha meant?" He tilts his head again, curious and hoping that he's gotten his answer right, and of course follows that up with another question without waiting for a reply to the first. "Do y'live here? Or 're y'a wanderer like me?" Adjusting his satchel on his back, Wizard looks at Linwe instead of the ground in front of him, trusting that if he just stays next to her he won't run into anything, and waits for an answer. His eyes drift to her tufted ears, and he raises a hand, utterly oblivious to his violation of her personal space. (Which is also something that, in his mind, only happens to other people.) They're furry and pretty, and Wizard wants to stroke them, so he does. "I like yer ears," he tells her happily, but with a gravity to the words that gives him the air of someone revealing an important secret.

Anonymous

Linwe walked slowly onwards so as not to get too far ahead of Wizard. Her ear swivled backwards, listening to his explanation of why he was in La'marri. Humans sure were confuzzing beings. He talked a bit too fast for her liking but she listened anyway. Apparently he had simply stumbled upon La'marri by accident. Atleast that was what she got from his rambling.

She turned her head to look at him when he called after her. She continued to move forward as he caught up to her. Her head swung to face forward again but she continued to watch him out of the corner of her eye. He was watching her feet, apparently trying to match her gait. He wanders back to his rambling about how he got to La'marri. She nods her head when he asks if that was what she meant about why he was here.

Linwe isn't really surprised that he continues to talk. This time he asks if she lives here. She shifts her gaze to him. "I live in a cottage in the woods not too far from the village. Over in that direction." She points to her right and behind her in almost the same direction as Wizard had appeared from. She looks at him for a moment more before looking in front of herself again.

A moment later she felt a hand touch her ears. She whips her head to face him, annoyance flashing in her eyes. A small growl rumbles in her throat before she can control the other part of herself. She looks at him strangly for a moment. "Thank you I suppose." By now she had stopped walking and just stood facing him. Humans were intrusive beings. Had he no sense of decency?