Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Am I Desperate? {Kirila_}

Started by Lowen Thorn, March 22, 2018, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

@Kirila_

Lowen walked through the busy streets of Ketra. 'I lost the time again', he thought to himself as he shuffled through the bustling crowds. 'How often must I go black before I start to remember? Could this be related to losing my memory?'

The trade city was full of excitement, cheer, and laughter at every turn, businesses and merchants boasting at every corner. This would normally be a nice change of pace for the man, but the noise was inhibiting his ability to think.

Turning the corner, his eyes fixed upon a booth tucked away from most of the city's buzz - psychic readings?

'Am I that desperate?' he asked himself as his gaze lingered on the booth and the woman behind it.

Kirila_

Kirila turned as a man entered her dimly lit booth. It was a cramped tent with a circular, wooden table in the middle. A crystal ball sat on the center of the table. Kirila adjusted the sleeves of her flowing dress and quickly looked the future customer up and down. He was troubled by something- not love, not career. He seemed to be a traveler, by his weathered clothing and the dagger on his belt.
"Hello, sir. Something seems to be on your mind today. You must be tired after so much travel- have a seat."

Lowen Thorn

The woman's words struck him at first, but a quick study of his character and clothes would tell the tale of his travels. He was a little skeptical of psychics and things of that nature, but what could it hurt to entertain the notion? He was a bit desperate for the truth, and she seemed welcoming enough. Maybe something good would come of it.

He rustled into the tent and took a seat across from her at the round wooden table.

"Thank you ma'am," he said quietly.

He wasn't sure where to go from there - this was definitely a first.

"My name is Lowen Thorn."

Kirila_

"Mm, I thought so. So, place two gold coins on the counter and we may begin." ((I don't know how much gold coins are worth but just know that the amount she's asking for is about $10-15))
Lowen obliged, and Kirila pocketed the money with nimble fingers. She placed her hands on the crystal ball and stared into the swirling fog within the orb.
"You are an independent person, and feel hemmed in by limitations and restrictions." Kirila glanced up to gauge Lowen's reaction. He still seemed skeptical, but she could tell she wasn't wrong in her statement.
"You've had something on your mind lately," Kirila said, and suddenly knew something. "You think you're losing your memory- you have bouts of amnesia." It had been a long time since she had actually read someone's mind. She felt yearning, then, for the good old days, when her abilities were potent. She didn't usually bother with nostalgia- it didn't help her make money or survive, but this time she held onto it for a moment.

Lowen Thorn

Lowen's mouth sat agape as she spoke the truth about him. Could this woman actually be genuine? Seeing he was a traveler is one thing, focusing in on his memory loss is something entirely different.

"Erm," he started to talk, but had an initial loss for words. "Y-Yes. I've recently had moments where I wake up in places and not know how I get there. I black out. I do not know how it happens."

He scratched at his chin, inside his head as per usual. 'Does she know about my history, or just the recent events? Should I tell her?'

Lowen could not tell if the lingering sensation he was feeling was excitement or fear.

Kirila_

Kirila concentrated, closing her eyes. Reading another's mind was like remembering a dream: bits and pieces came at once and they slipped away the harder you reached for them.
"I see a man, walking through a market- no, down a street. A street in Ketra." She focused harder, and the vision sharpened, becoming clearer. "He looks like you, but something's off." Kirila reached farther with her mind, but the image slipped away like it had never been there.

Lowen Thorn

Lowen sat across from her, befuddled. "A man that looks like me but is not me?" he repeated softly, scratching his chin.

'What good does that do me?'

He kept his gaze fixed upon the woman, searching for the right words. "What else can you tell me?" he asked, with an apparent disappointment. "A man that looks like me in the streets of Ketra.. it is an interesting concept but I don't know how much that will help me."

---

'Actually, this hag is isn't far off at all! Listen good, boy. You may learn something about yourself!' a second voice inside Lowen's head cackled. The voice was too distant for Lowen to be aware of it.

Kirila_

Kirila heard a large clamor coming from outside the tent. It sounded like two people were yelling loudly at each other. Suddenly, she heard a smacking sound, as if someone had been hit.

Lowen Thorn

"What's the-" Lowen began to speak, but was interrupted by the smacking noise and the sound of a crash. He shot up from his chair, resting his hand on the dagger adjacent to his waist. Shooting Kirila a quick glance, he placed his finger on his lips as a motion to stay silent and moved toward the tent's exit to investigate.

Just then, two men barged into the tent and knocked the young traveler off of his feet. With blades drawn, one of the men stood hovering over Lowen as the other fixated his sinister gaze on the woman.

"Give us all the coin ya have if you value yer lives," the obvious ringleader - standing across from Kirila - snorted with a devious grin.

---

Thud. Thud. Thud.

Lowen's head was pounding. Not again. He couldn't focus on the thug looming over him not how the fortune teller was handling the situation with his accomplice. All he could focus on was the thud, thud, thud of his head as his vision began to blur.

"The hell's wrong with you?!" the man above him snapped, though Lowen couldn't acknowledge it. "Ya heard the man, empty yer pockets!"

The man kicked the young traveler in the stomach, only to get no real response.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

"Darius! This bastard's gone limp," the thug said to his accomplice. "I say we just kill'em now and be done with it!"

He began to kick Lowen again, but was met with a dagger through the heel. "Lowen" peered up at the man with hate-filled eyes and a look of utter disgust. He had reacted just in time to drive his weapon through the man, and used that as leverage to bring him crashing down the the floor aside him.

"S-Shit!" the thug cried out in agony. "Y-youll-"

"Lowen" quickly grabbed the man by his neck and pressed the tip of his blade against his throat. "Easy now," he said coldly. He shot a look to the other man who's attention was now on the traveler and his accomplice. "Well, lookie lookie, what the hell do we have here? Don't you two know it's rude to interrupt a man and a woman when they're alone together? I ought to teach you boys some manners."

"Let go of him or I will kill the girl!" the other thug demanded.

"Do you think I care about that witch?" the new, colder version of Lowen snapped with a twisted grin. "Kill her. See if I care. But you boys gotta learn who you're dealing with here."

Without any more hesitation, he slid his dagger across his hostage's throat, holding his scalp still as blood began slipping out. "Still want to come at me with that tough guy shit now?"

Kirila_

Kirila slunk back, feeling trapped. She'd been around the block enough to know that it wasn't worth getting involved in these things. And who was that man standing before her? It seemed to not be the mild-mannered, troubled traveler who'd asked her for help but a few minutes earlier.

"P-please don't kill me!" the bandit whimpered. Lowen grinned menacingly as the man pleaded for his life and pressed the knife deeper into the man's throat. But with a glance at Kirila he seemed to realize that murdering someone with a witness present would not be wise.

"Go," Lowen snapped, lowering the dagger. The two men fled without a moment's hesitation.

Kirila assessed her options. She was in a tent with a dangerous man who was clearly ready to kill without a second thought. Lowen was standing in front of the door, so a run for it most likely would not end well for her.

"Who are you?" she asked, barely managing to keep her voice from trembling.

Lowen Thorn

[OOC: Just a note, Ipsen tends to talk alot.]

'Lowen' got back to his feet, his eyes locked with the woman's as he stared coldly. He studied her face for a few brief moments when his lips curled to an entertained grin, and he began slowly clapping his hands together in a mocking applaud.

He took a few steps forward.

"Well, well, well," he said slowly. "You sure fucked that one up, didn't ya? I don't think I've ever seen someone cower down so quickly without even putting up a fight. You're worse than him! Makes me embarrassed just to be in the same room with ya. You're lucky I was here or things wouldn't be going so well for you now would they, missy?"

He took a few more steps forward, almost within arms reach of the woman.

"Who the hell are you anyway?" he said crudely, eyeing her up and down. He stopped his approach, and his sinister smile broadened. "Oh! You're the crystal ball girl, right? The fraud. Yeah, I know you. Bringing ol' Lowen in here for a reading just to make some quick coin - ha! I think it's brilliant honestly, wish I would've thought of that myself."

Before she could answer, he pointed his dagger at her, the tip still stained with the blood of the man he spared earlier.

"Tell me, girl," he started. "Give me one reason I shouldn't just kill you right now."

Tags: