Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crossroads

Started by Paladienne, September 26, 2018, 07:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

Tourmaline smiled, nodding at Blue's comment. "Not many do what they want, but they always do what they must. Perhaps one day you'll get to travel and see the world. Until then, I can tell you stories about what I've seen."

When Citrine spoke, Tourmaline looked toward him, offering him a smaller smile. "Thank you. That would be appreciated. I haven't eaten since this morning. I try not to eat too much, to spare my supplies. I don't want to impose, though. I do have my own." He gestured to his pack then, meeting Citrine's eyes and silently giving him the option of staying or leaving as he wanted.

DragonSong

Almost unable to help himself, Citrine snorted quietly when Tourmaline offered to tell Blue stories and his brother's face positively lit up.

"Careful what you promise," he muttered as their guest's eyes moved toward him. Standing, he arched his back in a long stretched and flickered his ears, his tail waving once in a large arc to work the kinks out of his lower back.

"I'll grab some food. You two can...talk, or something." With the barest hint of a smile for Tourmaline, he assured, "We can spare a bit of food for you, don't worry about it. You'll need what you have when you're on the road again."

Paladienne

Tourmaline nodded, though his expression was still uncertain. "Thank you... that would be nice."

As he watched Citrine go, he turned his attention back to Blue, offering the younger Kulshedra a smile. "Your brother is very kind, isn't he?"

He turned his attention to his pack then, pulling it closer so he could begin to rifle through it. He'd promised Blue stories, and stories he was going to give the younger Kulshedra, but first he needed to have the proper tools. Stories were much better told when there were objects connected to those stories to show. And, if Tourmaline had to admit, he enjoyed the opportunity to talk, because it would give him practice for when he returned home and told his stories to his tribe.

"I really don't want to cause you any trouble," Tourmaline said softly.

DragonSong

"Triny?" Blue scoffed lightly and glanced after his brother, then shrugged. "Yeah, he's alright, I guess. Worries like an old biddy and nags like he's my mother, but... Well, there are worse brothers, I guess."

Despite the complaining, there was a hint of affection in his tone. His attention quickly shifted though and he twisted to better face Tourmaline, drawing his legs up onto his sleeping mat and curling his tail around himself.

"So! About those stories..."

Paladienne

Tourmaline smiled at the sound of affection in Blue's voice. It reminded him of the love his own siblings had for him, despite the fact that he was a ghost to them at this moment in time. He missed his family, he missed his home, and Tourmaline knew that nothing would stop him from trying to return at the appointed time. If he missed it... then all that would be gone.

"Ah, yes, stories," Tourmaline said with a wider smile. His eyes sparkled with pleasure at being able to share what he'd discovered. He shifted to a more comfortable position and settled the book upon his lap and opened it. "Let's see... some of these are tales of what I saw while traveling, others are stories that were told to me by others. Where to begin... ah, here."

Tourmaline gently turned the page to a story he'd written down about a princess born of the sands and wind of a land far away. He decided that Blue would enjoy this one the best, since it seemed that the younger Kulshedra also had dreams of wandering, but couldn't. Tourmaline took a deep breath and began to speak.

"Once, when the world was young, the sky and the earth mingled together, inseparable." Tourmaline said, keeping his voice soft. "But eventually, the wind wished to have the sky for itself, and the water wished to have the earth for itself. The wind and the water conspired to separate the sky and the earth, and succeeded. With the earth and the sky no longer together, the wind and the water had what they wished, and created the world as we know it today. But the earth mourned the loss of the sky, and created dry places where water couldn't touch, and it was the earth's only form of rebellion. But the wind saw these dry places, and began to covet them. The earth became dry and sandy, and as the wind swirled the sand, the wind came to love the sand, and the sand came to love the wind."

Tourmaline's expression softened, and he caressed the page which held his own sloppy handwriting. "The sand and the wind were together always, and from that union came a princess. She was of both the earth and the wind, and she gazed longingly up at the moon in the sky, as if she was willing the moon to come to the earth and join her. But it was the stars who noticed her, the stars who watched her from afar, and they spoke to the sky of the princess of the sands. When the sky noticed her, the sky fell in love with her. But because the sky was so far away, all the sky could do was watch the princess as she stared longingly at the moon."

He looked up at Blue then with a small smile. "The moral of the story is to never want more than what you already have, because then you will lose everything. At least, that's what the person who told me it said."

DragonSong

Blue listened with rapt attention the whole time Tourmaline spoke, and when he finished the younger kulshedra settled back on his mat and smiled crookedly, giving him a quick nod.

"I like that one," he enthused. Eyes brightening a bit, he added eagerly, "But do you have any stories? About places you've been, things you've seen, people you've met-- anything?"

Paladienne

Tourmaline laughed, nodding as he shifted into a more comfortable position. He flipped a few pages in his book until he came to a page covered in pressed flowers and leaves. He showed the page to Blue, his fingers pointing to each flower as he spoke.

"When I went far to the north of my village, where the rivers came together and flowed into a large delta, I discovered a field of flowers that I'd never seen before." Tourmaline touched one of the flowers gently, running his fingers over the dried petals. "It was a field of them, all kinds. So many colors, so many shapes. I don't think I even saw all of it, but I picked one of each as I came across them, making sure that I found as many as I could. And while I was there," he turned the page, showing feathers of ranging sizes and colors, "I saw many birds, from herons to hunting hawks, and I found their feathers here and there."

He shifted then to set the book on the floor between them, his hands hovering over the book for just a moment, as if he were about to change his mind. "Here, look for yourself. Just... be careful."

DragonSong

Blue's eyes widened and his pupils grew so round and large they almost entirely ate away the color of his iris for a brief moment. He shuffled forward and reached out almost reverently, then hesitated and flicked his eyes back up to Tourmaline.

"Are you... Is it really okay if I--?"

Before he could finish the question the door creaked open and Citrine nudged his way inside, awkwardly balancing three plates in his arms. "Alright, so it's not much, but it's food--"

He froze when he saw the other two kulshedra crouched together over a book. His eyebrows crept up, looking more than a little bemused. "You, uh...what's going on in here, exactly?"

Paladienne

Tourmaline looked up as Citrine entered, his eyes slightly wide and his mouth curling slightly into a small 'o'. Then he flushed slightly, and he averted his gaze, his expression soft and prideful, if a little embarrassed. His eyes rested upon his book and he reached out to lightly touch the page, his fingertips gently caressing the pressed flowers upon the sheaf of paper.

"I was just showing him the things I found on my journey," Tourmaline replied. "I have all my stories contained in here, with things I've found. Flowers, feathers, leaves. Anything unusual, anything I've never seen before, I've stored in here, so I can take it home with me."

DragonSong

"Oh. Well. Uh...don't let me interrupt?" Citrine lifted the plate he'd brought a little awkwardly. "I just... If you want... I thought... Food?"

Blue snorted and his brother shot a glare at him. The younger kulshedra rolled his eyes and gave Tourmaline a droll look. "Yeah, unfortunately he's pretty much always like this."

A fresh roll of bread flew through the air to smack Blue in the side of the head; he yelped and toppled sideways, swearing at Citrine while his brother smirked.

Paladienne

Tourmaline watched the exchange between the brothers with wide eyes, uncertain exactly what was going on. He'd had his fair share of teasing when he'd been young - and had done his fair share of teasing when he'd been young, too - but he'd never really experienced anything like this. Being one of the older of his parents' offspring, he'd been responsible for watching and caring for his younger siblings, and never would he imagine throwing food at them as a punishment to a tease.

He looked at Citrine, blinking slowly. "Yes, food, um. Thank you."

He lifted his hands to take the plate from Citrine, his fingers lightly brushing the other Kulshedra's as he relieved Citrine of his small burden. Tourmaline shivered, then turned away from Citrine and set the plate on the ground between him and Blue, his gaze focusing back on his book to avoid looking at either of the brothers.

DragonSong

Citrine felt his cheeks heating beneath his scales as his eyes suddenly snapped focused on the way Tourmaline shivered when their fingers brushed together, and he resisted the urge to snap his hand back too quickly.

Retrieving the roll that had beaned him in the side of the head, Blue muttered a few choice curses at his brother before patting the space on the cot beside him. "Well c'mon. You haven't eaten either, right?"

"Uh, yeah. Okay." Trying to force himself to focus on anything but the way their guest's eyes flickered back toward his book and the sudden softness that came into his face, Citrine moved to sit beside his brother and grabbed a spare roll, gnawing on it distractedly.

"So, um...what exactly were you two talking about? Don't let me interrupt or anything, just pretend I'm not even here."

Paladienne

Tourmaline glanced up at Citrine and offered him a small smile that showed a slight bit of fang. "We were talking about my journey so far." Using one hand, Tourmaline turned his book so that Citrine could see the pressed flowers, grasses, and feathers scattered among the pages. "I was describing to him the sea of grass I discovered on my first days out of my village, where all these flowers bloomed. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life."

Tourmaline turned his attention back to his book, gently turning the page to reveal a drawing of a river delta done in a charcoal stick. "I drew this. I did my best to detail it as I saw it, but I'm not that great of an artist. It was sunset, and I was making camp. And the way the sun was sinking below the horizon made the water shimmer and sparkle like it was a gemstone and not actual water."

He nibbled on his food then, remembering that day clearly. The stars were only just beginning to ignite in the sky, and it was his first night away from the village. He'd been terrified. His hands had shook while he'd built his fire, and he'd barely been able to eat because his stomach was so tight. He'd been up half the night, afraid to fall asleep, because there had been sounds in the night that he hadn't recognized.

How far had he come since then? Tourmaline didn't know. But he definitely wasn't the same person now as he'd been then.

He looked up at the brothers, smiling. He'd have to put them in his book, definitely. Show his people that there were others like them, and kind ones, too.

DragonSong

Blue was utterly enthralled, eyes wide as he listened to Tourmaline talk while nibbling on his own food. Citrine was just as intrigued, if he was being honest, but he managed to play it a little cooler than his brother.

"When do you have to go back?" Blue asked suddenly. He scooted a little toward the edge of his bedroll and propped his elbows on his knees, resting his chin in his hands. "You said you need to return to your village soon or they won't let you back, right?"

Citrine blinked. That was news to him.

Paladienne

Tourmaline smiled, but there were hints of bitterness to it. "Soon," he said, his voice soft with sadness. There was still so much more he wanted to see out in the world, but he would only be able to spend perhaps a few more weeks traveling before he needed to head home. "When the first blue summer moon rises in the sky, I'll have to start my journey home. And if I'm not home by the time the red moon glows, then I'll have no place to return to."

Perhaps he was being generous in his estimates of time, Tourmaline decided. The two moons rose at different times each year, or so he'd noticed as a child. The deadline wasn't spoken about by anyone in his tribe, but if one was smart and observant, he or she could guess roughly what time certain rules had to be observed. Tourmaline assumed that he had plenty of time left before he had to turn around, but he also didn't want to travel too far and miss the opportunity to return to his tribe because of sheer distance.

Realizing the brothers were watching him, Tourmaline turned his smile a little brighter and looked toward them, his eyes shining despite the depression he'd just filled the tent with. "But it's fine. I'll make it in time."

DragonSong

Citrine and Blue had both gone quiet, looking at him with a mix of curiosity and almost wariness as he seemed to drop into a reverie for a few moments. When Tourmaline snapped out of it, the brothers exchanged a quick look before glancing back at him.

"Well, uh..." Blue blinked, then chewed lightly at his lower lip in thought. "That's...that's good. That you've got a plan and everything..."

Citrine resisted the urge to roll his eyes at his brother-- it wasn't like he really had anything better to say, anyway.

Paladienne

Tourmaline shifted to become a little more comfortable, then closed his book and reached for more food. He took his time eating, using it to cover his embarrassed silence. He hadn't meant to open up so much to the brothers, but there was just something about them that set him at ease. When the silence between the three of them became too much for Tourmaline, he finished his bite, then shrugged.

"It's a plan," he agreed, "but one that's kind of still in progress. There's still plenty of time for me to accomplish what I want to accomplish and return. And then..." Tourmaline shrugged again. "The Elder will consult the Flame and ask what my fate is to be."

Although, Tourmaline thought, I kind of already have an idea.

He was one of the rare colors among his tribe, that of a mixture of pink and blue, a beautiful palette that was most definitely meant to be a servant of the Great Fire. It was really just a formality, a ritual that his tribe followed with every generation, and would continue to follow until they could no more.

Tourmaline lifted a hand and scratched at his cheek, smiling. "Everything happens for a reason, right? We just have to follow our chosen path and see where it leads us."

DragonSong

Once again the brother's exchanged a look, silent gazes speaking volumes.

But then Blue just shrugged and flashed his easygoing smile at Tourmaline. "Yeah, I guess so." He got to his feet and arched his back, stretching his arms up toward the ceiling with a massive yawn that nearly seemed to split his jaw open. "Well, I've got an evening patrol tonight, I should get moving."

Citrine frowned. "You didn't tell me that."

His brother pulled a face at him. "Yeah, because I knew you'd pitch a fit if our patrols didn't line up and I didn't wanna deal with that." Citrine glowered and Blue crinkled up his nose at him. "But hey! Now you've got someone else to occupy your time-- worry about the newbie, not me."

Before the older kulshedra could respond, his brother all but fled from the hut. Citrine, already halfway standing, flopped back onto his cot with a muttered curse.

Then he seemed to remember they had a guest and felt heat flash across his face, twisting to look at Tourmaline again. "Uh, well...S-sorry about him. He's just...young?" he offered rather lamely. Desperately casting around for something else to say, he landed on, "You said your Elder will divine your fate from the Flame--how do you mean? Like...whether you'll be a hunter or a warrior or...something?"

Paladienne

Tourmaline took a moment to eat a little more of the meal that Citrine had brought to avoid answering for as long as he could. The question the other Kulshedra had asked was a personal one, and one that Tourmaline wasn't sure exactly how to answer. And with Blue no longer there to act as a conversational shield, Tourmaline wasn't exactly sure how to talk to Citrine. But he did need to answer him. After all, Citrine had been nice enough to bring him to his village and convince his Elder to let Tourmaline stay for the night. Or for however long it took for Tourmaline's ankle to heal.

"Something like that," Tourmaline said at last. "The Elder will peer into the Flame, asking for Its great wisdom to reveal the path that I am to take. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but this is the way it's always been done."

He shifted to return his book to his pack, then looked up through the strands of his hair towards Citrine. "Although I don't think I'm going to be a hunter or a warrior. If anything..." Tourmaline looked away from the other Kulshedra then, his expression caught somewhere between uncertain and almost delighted. "If anything... I might become a Caretaker of the Flame."

DragonSong

Citrine's eyes widened a bit and he arched his brows. "Wow," he noted, almost too evenly. "That's...impressive. Can I, uh--"

He winced when he realized how personal the question was, but he couldn't seem to stop himself from finishing: "Could I ask what makes you think that'll be your place?"