Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fancy meeting you here [ Eckhart ]

Started by SanctifiedSavage, October 10, 2018, 09:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanctifiedSavage

Dilari had a true appreciation for nature, in its many forms. Rain, wind, blistering heat, and even snow. But, she was learning, there was such a thing as too much cold and too much wind.  No matter how many furs and leather she was wrapped in, it just didn't feel like it was enough. Even though her feet were wrapped in thick, soft fur and padded extra for the journey, she had to continually remind herself, over and over, why she was doing this.

Why she was there.

A nice, glittering reward to add to her small, but growing, hoard. It was all a work in progress. She was still young, after all, and had plenty of years to work on it. Didn't mean she shouldn't take every opportunity that presented itself.

That's what she kept thinking as her breath was chill and wet against the scarf she'd wrapped around her face.

The scenery was gorgeous though. Jutting mountains that reached up into the pale, blue sky where clouds etched across. A view she'd never have seen on her home plane. It just... never snowed there. Was never cold. Eternally summer, eternally warm and perfect. In a way, she loved this world all the more for its variations, seeming imperfections, and even how it made her uncomfortable.

Like now.

Tucked in her wide, leather belt was a thick, rolled leather bounty scroll. She was here for the frost beast that had been terrorizing the nearby settlement. They'd put out this bounty in one of the larger cities and pooled their money together for it – it wasn't like just one person could pay – so there she was. Climbing up what was definitely the game trail left by the beast. It had left a noticeable rut up the side of the mountain, littered with the occasional bone from previous prey, that would invariably lead to its lair.

Dilari didn't want to be the only on going and she hoped, if she made camp come evening, she might catch another enterprising hunter along the way. She might very much want the reward, but she understood her own limitations. The number of javelin strapped to her back were great, for throwing. Less so for stabbing at big monsters with a taste for humanoid flesh.

With the sun lingering atop one of the mountain peaks, it'd start to get dark pretty quick. So, she'd set herself up on this path and... well, hope. If not, well, she'd have to see if she could wear the thing down with a thousand cuts, as they say.

Dilari shrugged off her leather, furred pack and let it drop onto the frozen ground. From there, she set about making a modest camp for the evening. Nothing that would likely draw too much attention. Since the beast had just taken one of the settlers not a day before, it wasn't suspected to return for another handful of days. The safest time to hunt it, the said. When it was supposedly resting.

Well. She'd find out.

A tiny fire was lit along the hard, frozen trail and she settled near it, trying to warm her fingers.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Hoss Goodheart trudged up the mountain path, shivering from the cold. For what seemed like the first time in years, the girl was was wearing layers- a wool sweater and a fur overcoat. It was a strange sensation for her- Hoss' power worked best when her skin was exposed, so heavy clothing made her feel naked, ironically. "People are gonna remember me for this," she thought, a smile forming on her numb lips. "The hero fighting the monster with a handicap is such a cool story, how could they not remember?"

It was a fairly straighforward job- hunt monster, fight monster, kill monster. The monster in question, some frost beast, probably wasn't going to be too tough. At least, that's how Hoss had imagined it would be. She hadn't taken the weather into account at all, and if she had a lick of sense she would be turning back to stock up on more supplies.

Common sense was never Hoss's strong point.

The sun was beginning to set, and the cold was getting unbearable even with the heavy coat on. The girl stopped walking, unbuttoning her coat. Reaching under her sweater, she pulled a lit torch out of her abdomen- and that's when shd saw the other fire that had been lit not to far down the road. Her eyes narrowed. "Aw, what? Are they trying to steal my monster?"

Running towards the campsite, Hoss called out to the figure warming themselves by the fire. "Hey! Don't you know it's not safe out here?"

SanctifiedSavage

There were a lot of things that could come charging out of the darkness and, for the most part, Dilari could be made ready for them. Be in spear, bow, or javelin. She could handle herself in a fight. Not against a giant monster by herself, mind, but wolves? Bears? Smaller, natural things? Sure.

She also wasn't prepared for someone to come dashing at her, torch lit, and voice loud. Dilari sat up straighter, frowned a little, and waited for the other person to approach. If they meant her any ill will, they were either doing a very poor job of a surprise attack... or trying to throw her off the scent of one. In which case, the latter was working. She waited until the other person arrived before she nodded a little. "There's a cave half a day's travel, I think, up from here. Some monster..." At this, Dilari produced the bounty scroll. Made of thick leather to survive most elements and travel, it had a crude drawing of the creature and the price for it beneath. Assuming one brought back proof.

That way always the messy part. Proof.

Dilari wanted to show this person in case they were unaware that, yes it was dangerous, and probably far more than they realized. She didn't want someone just wandering up into a slumbering monster's lair to get eaten.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Hoss let out an annoyed groan. Of course this girl was after the same monster she was. She could never have the glory to herself, could she? "Yeah yeah, th' ice beast thingy. I'm here t' kill it too." Hoss grumbled, folding her arms. "Don't need to tell me about it."

Hoss looked her fellow adventurer over, nose wrinkled. "You weren't actually gonna use spears t' fight it, right?" she asked, eyebrows raised. "Like, y' at least have fire-bottles with you, right?"

SanctifiedSavage

Dilari got the distinct impression that the other person wasn't exactly excited to see that there was someone else along for the ride. Not everyone was happy to share, after all. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other before gesturing to the small fire she had going on. "Care to share?" Not quite alluding to the bounty either.

At the question about the spears though, Dilari let that linger. It wasn't the most common of choice in weapons, but she was deceptively strong and a decent throw. When she hit something, it hit hard. They also didn't break as frequently as arrows. But trying to extoll the virtues of such a thing to someone who didn't quite agree was going to fall on deaf ears. So only after Dilari was sitting near her fire, she smiled a little. "Ah, yeah. It's how I like to hunt. A bit back. From a distance. The one I picked the bounty up from said there was someone who had went up ahead, and there were likely more along the way. I'd hoped to catch up... or find someone on the trail. It's a big monster. I didn't think anyone was going to want to go after it alone."

She shook her head a little. "Ah. No fire-bottles," Dilari added.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Why wouldn't somebody want to fight it alone?"

Hoss's eyes narrowed, a look of confusion on her face. Stepping towards the fire, the girl shoved her torch into her arm, then began rummaging for something under her coat. "Now where'd I put it?" she muttered under her breath. "I know I got it in- aha!"

Having just pulled a large, cushioned armchair out of a tattoo on her back, Hoss sat down lazily. "But yeah, I mean, think of th' glory! If you kill a big monster by y'self, then people'll remember you forever!"

SanctifiedSavage

Dilari watched the girl with a fair bit of skepticism. Some things were not meant to fight alone, as far as she was concerned. At least, that's how people tended to die, in he fae's experience. Over confidence was one hell of a killer. But she didn't say that out loud. Seemed rude.

While the other rummaged under their coat, she added a log to the fire. When... and how?... they pulled a large armchair out of their back?... Dilari just stared. How was that... She hadn't seen how the other person had gotten out from under the coat, let alone where it'd...

The fae shook her head and looked back at the fire. Magic was weird. That's all she was going to attribute that to. Magic was just fuckin weird sometimes. "Ah. Right. Glory. But if you die to the monster all alone no one remembers you at all," she added, glancing at the odd person. Then, because it seemed proper now that they were sitting, "Name's Dilari."

She'd heard the glory speech before. About hunting down big things to earn a name. Some could do it, others had been lost trying to do it. Dilari didn't want to put too much doubt on a person who could just whip out a chair from... somewhere under a cloak that shouldn't have been able to hold such a thing, but even impressive magic couldn't always hit their intended target. The bigger the creature, the less they tended to care about such and most casters couldn't regrow limbs.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"My name's Hoss!" the redhead said, beaming. She reached under her coat once more, sinking deep into the cushions of her armchair. "And I guess that's true..."

She pulled out her hand once more, this time holding what appeared to be a slice of pie. Steam could be seen wafting off it and into the cold air- as if it'd just come out of an oven. Hoss took a huge bite. "Ah' still think tha' fightin' alone is betta'." she said with her mouth full. "All th' best adventure stories ah like tha'." She swallowed, then looked at Dilari sheepishly. "Ah, did you want a slice? I have more..."

SanctifiedSavage

Dilari continued to tend the fire, content for the moment to relax as much as she could in the dark and cold. She'd come as prepared as she needed to, for what she was going to do. The fae did spare a glance in the direction of the odd magician when the proceeded to eat some pie they conjured out of nowhere, then shook her head when a slice was offered her way. The fae wasn't exactly a stranger to magic, but... She was quite content with her own food since she knew where it had come from.

"I feel like a lot of the old stories are largely embellished, for people to sound like they did so much on their own when really... they didn't. At least, most of the things I've done have always been with others." She smiled a little more before shrugging a shoulder. "I could always just tag along. Just in case." That sounded diplomatic, right?

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Ehhhh..."

Hoss crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes as she thought. Was what Dilari said about stories true? It couldn't be, right? Falk Firebeard never had help, like, ever! But the girl was being pushy, and none of her favorite heroes ever turned down a person in need- though admittedly, nobody had ever "needed" to tag along on an adventure in any of the books Hoss read. Still...

"Ughhh, fine." the redhead grumbled. "But you'd better not try anything funny!"