Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forever on the Run [DragonSong][M]

Started by Zero, March 26, 2019, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Oh, no that's okay! You don't have to change your whole schedule around me." Mikhail wrung his hands a little, once more overcome with guilt over just how kind and accommodating Theoden was being for him. It really was more than he had ever been shown before. "I don't even know where I'm going or what I'm doing..."

Those would be good things to start trying to figure out. He couldn't rely on Theoden's generosity forever. Mikhail didn't want to have to rely on it at all. The elf had already done so much, he really didn't know how to repay him.

"I really don't want to be more of a bother to you than I have to be. I know you said I'm not a burden and you want to help me but you've already done more than I could have possibly asked of someone I knew, let alone a stranger." Mikhail looked up at the man beside him, still not quite sure what to make of the extremely kind elf.

DragonSong

"Really, it's no trouble." Theoden paused, then adjusted their course slightly and led them into a smallish sort of grove. It had enough natural covering that he was able to relax a bit more as he glanced around. He dropped his pack into a dip in a cluster of roots and stretched his arms up over his head.

"I don't think we should risk a fire, but it's not too cold. Just bundle up, you should be fine." He ignored Mikhail's assertion that he shouldn't be doing all this. He really didn't know how to respond to it, honestly. He didn't have a good answer--by all rights, he shouldn't care as much as he did.

But...he just couldn't not care. He had no idea what sort of life Mikhail had led, but in the last couple days he'd learned enough to have a horrifying idea, and the idea of leaving the kid to fend for himself was just...abhorrent. He wouldn't leave anyone like that.

"Get some sleep," he urged quietly, nodding toward his pack to indicate the blanket that had half fallen out when he tossed it down. "I'll keep watch for a while."

Zero

There really was no arguing with this guy, was there? Mikhail wanted to be annoyed by the stubborn determination to be incessantly kind to him, but he found himself ducking his head and smiling slightly with a faint blush. If Theoden couldn't be talked out of being so helpful, well they could go around and around arguing over what was or wasn't too much, but that would be exhausting, so he decided to drop it - for now.

"I trust your judgement, we were okay without a fire last night." At least they were after climbing the tree. He felt bad that Theoden was once again sacrificing for his sake. If it weren't for Mikhail the elf wouldn't have to worry about a fire attracting attention.

"What about you? Don't you need to sleep? Won't you get cold?" Mikhail didn't want the elf to do without for his sake. Again. The idea of taking and taking from someone without giving anything back made his stomach twist up in knots. It was too much like how he was used to being treated for comfort. He didn't want to take advantage of Theoden's kindness.

DragonSong

"Ah, I'll be alright." He settled himself down into the curve of the roots just beside where he'd dropped his pack, flashing a quick smile in Mikhail's direction. "I've gone longer than this without sleep, it's no big deal."

Not entirely a lie. He'd certainly gone longer without sleep, though he typically tried to avoid it if at all possible.

Looking out into the steadily darkening trees, he jerked his head toward the blanket again. "Go on and settle in. If you can grab a couple hours of shut-eye, we can get moving again before the sun's up, then set up a proper camp. We'll be safer from wild animals and slavers both if we take to sleeping during the day."

Zero

Mikhail frowned softly and hugged himself again. Theoden had a nice smile. He was still being very stubborn though. Why'd the elf have to be so frustratingly nice? Thoughts of further protest were cut off as he raised a hand to try to cover another yawn. He tried to shake the sleep from his head, but it only made his head spin a little.

"There's no reasoning with you." Mikhail accused gently as he walked over to the pack so that he could pull the blanket out of it. He looked around, considering where to curl up to try to get a little rest. Well he knew where he'd be most comfortable.

Without hesitation the slender young hybrid sat right next to Theoden, draping the blanket over himself and the elf's legs as he leaned against him with a soft sigh and faint whisper. "Thank you, Theo."

DragonSong

"I think you'll find I can be pretty fucking stubborn," Theoden agreed with a soft chuckle, leaning back against the trunk of the tree and relaxing a bit further.

Or at least he started to, before the younger man had curled up against his side and snuggled in with the blanket. He went stiff as stone, eyes wide. He suddenly had no idea what to do with his arms, and the heat rushing to his face felt like it could have caused a spontaneous forest fire.

He forced himself to breathe, trying to focus on the movement of air in and out of his lungs. Gods, why were people so difficult to predict?! Most other animals, he could read their body language and figure out what they were planning to do. Two-leggers...

Shit.

Carefully, he shifted a little in the hopes that he'd make himself slightly more comfortable. Damn, if the kid wanted to sleep on him, well...that's what he'd do, apparently. Poor thing probably just wanted some heat, since they couldn't build a fire.

He still didn't know what to do with his hands.

"...G'night, Mikhail."

Zero

It was easy to let his eyes close as he nestled in against the other man. Theoden was warm, that was part of it, but more than warmth the contact was comforting. Mikhail could feel every breath that the elf took, could hear every beat of his heart. It summoned feelings of safety and love left over from before he'd been taken from his mother and twin, when the three of them would sleep all snuggled together like this.

As easy as it would be to just fall asleep with those distant, fuzzy memories, Mikhail sensed the way Theoden had stiffened, how he had shifted trying to get comfortable.

"Is this okay?" He asked, voice still low and not lifting his head from where it rested against Theoden's chest. "I should have asked first. It's just that you feel safe and warm. I liked it earlier when you held me protectively against your side. It felt nice."

DragonSong

Well.

This was how he died.

That was fine.

Theoden swallowed thickly, and his voice was a little strangled when he replied, "No no, this...it's fine. You're fine. This is fine."

Well that was convincing.

Gritting his jaw and determinedly not looking at Mikhail, he slowly shifted and lowered his arm to rest curled around the smaller man's side. He swallowed again, mouth dry with a sudden rush of anxiety. "This, ah...this okay?"

Zero

Oh yes, very convincing.

Mikhail thought about sitting up and moving away, but as he felt Theoden slowly bring his arm around him he sighed softly. He could tell that the other man wasn't comfortable, his body language made that clear, but he said it was okay. Conflicting input wasn't the best, but he really wanted to snuggle.

"Yes, it's really nice." Mikhail turned his body slightly, draping his arm over Theoden as he nuzzled his head into the side of the elf's chest. "Thank you, Theo. Good night."

DragonSong

Yup, he was absolutely going to die right there.

...Honestly, he could think of worse ways to go...

No, stop that! Poor thing just needs warmth and a little kindness, don't go enjoying this! Theoden shook his head--at himself, at the situation, he wasn't sure--and tightened his arm around Mikhail a little more. Well, he'd said it was nice.

"Rest up, Mikhail," he murmured, letting his head thunk back against the bark of the tree trunk. He didn't sleep, he did still have to keep watch after all, but he at least allowed his body to rest after an...he was going to go with eventful day.

Zero

Mikhail's only response was a soft, sleepy hum of contentment. He was warm and comfortable, the way Theoden's arm squeezed him a little tighter made him feel that much more secure nestled against his side.

Despite it being night, the little hybrid found closing his eyes and drifting to sleep remarkably easy, something he would attribute to feeling whole and free with the collar removed, and safe with someone that had displayed rather clearly that they were protective of him. It was surprising, sure, but also touching, and appreciated. Mikhail hadn't had someone care for him and try to protect him since he'd been ripped from his family.

DragonSong

Theoden let him sleep; he figured the ex-slave deserved as much rest as he could get. It was simple enough to keep watch--he was really only worried about slavers, he knew the patterns of the animals in this part of the woods and wasn't too concerned that some large predator might happen upon them.

As the night wore on though, his eyes did eventually start to droop. He had to shake himself awake a few times, eventually digging his nails into his thigh in an effort to stave off exhaustion.

Eventually, evening turned to night, and night turned to early morning. As the jet black of the sky started to lighten to a navy blue, stars still bright, he finally rolled his shoulders back and shifted against Mikhail slightly. He slid his hand to the smaller man's shoulder and gave him a gentle shake. "Hey. C'mon, up ya get. We can walk another couple of hours before we've gotta set up a proper camp."

Zero

It was extremely peaceful sleep, unclouded with anxiety or fear of being captured by his former master's hunters. Or a fear of falling out of a very tall tree.

Mikhail grumbled softly when his shoulder was shaken, turning his head to nuzzle further against his warm, comfortable pillow (Theoden's chest), before he lifted his head and blinked while looking around sleepily. He sighed and rubbed at his eyes for a moment, before blinking and looking up at the sky.

"The sky doesn't look right." Mikhail frowned for a moment, not fully awake brain turning the information over in his head, before his eyes grew wide. "Theo! You said you were only going to let me sleep for a couple hours. Have you been awake all night?"

DragonSong

Theoden started, a little surprised by the sudden vehemence, and just blinked at Mikhail for a moment. Then he chuckled, smiling sheepishly, and ran a hand back through his hair in a nervous tick he'd thought he'd lost.

Apparently not.

"Well, I mean...it was a few hours, really? And I'm fine, it's not a big deal." He waved off Mikhail's concern and shifted away from him to get to his feet, gathering up the pack and blanket and slinging them over one shoulder. "C'mon, we're burning day--starlight."

Zero

"No, that wasn't a few hours." Mikhail protested with a pout, watching Theoden with anxious red eyes as he got up. If his companion was going to neglect his own well-being then he guessed that he'd have to make it a priority himself.

Still pouting, Mikahil got up and folded his arms across his chest, to emphasize his displeasure with this turn of events.

"You really shouldn't have let me sleep so long. It isn't good for you not to sleep this long. I would have been okay." It occurred to him that the elf considered him pretty frail. Mikhail wondered if he should take offense to it, but given his appearance and circumstance he really couldn't hold it against Theoden to assume he was weak.

DragonSong

"Seriously, it's not a big deal," Theoden tried to sooth with another slightly awkward smile. "And I've gone longer without sleep. And we'll be camping again in a few hours anyway, so it's fine." That made sense, right?

He hefted his pack a little higher on his shoulder and jerked his head in a "follow me" gesture as he started walking again. "We can probably get nearly to the edge of the woods before full dawn. After that..."

He trailed off, realizing suddenly that he had no real idea where he was supposed to be taking Mikhail. "Uh..." He looked back at the other man. "Don't suppose you have any...travel destinations in mind?"

Zero

"Just because you've gone longer without sleep doesn't make it okay." Mikhail sighed, knowing that this was a losing battle anyway. The elf really was stubborn as a mule. He followed along after Theoden, listening to him speak about their plans. At least until his new companion realized that they didn't really have a plan.

"Not really, no..." As a slave Mikhail didn't really have a home. All he'd known was centered around residing with a master. That wasn't to say he had no idea of what he'd like to do, he just didn't know where to go. "When I was very young, my master at the time sold me, separating me from my mother, and my twin brother. I - I don't even know where to start looking for them."

DragonSong

Theoden's steps slowed, then paused. He glanced back and down at Mikhail, brow furrowed.

"...Do you remember where you were? When they so..separated you?" He stumbled over the word sold, though he wasn't entirely sure why. It wasn't as though Mikhail seemed overly squeamish around talking about it.

Zero

"No, I was very young. They only waited until we could survive without our mother. I'm pretty sure we were in Adela, but I don't know what became of them. They could have been sold to anybody, and more than once. I can't even be sure they're still alive..." Mikhail hung his head and hugged himself tighter. He thought they were alive, but he wasn't sure if that was just desperation and denial.

"I'm sorry. This is depressing. It doesn't really matter where I go. You don't have to take me anywhere. I don't want you going out of your way because of me. Just letting me follow along with you for a little while is more than enough. When you get tired of me just tell me to scram. I'll figure out how to fend for myself." He kept looking at the ground, turning his thoughts inward.

DragonSong

Theo turned to face him, starting to reach out and grasp his shoulder before he thought better of it and let his hand drop. "Hey. Look, kid--" He winced. "Right. You don't like that. Sorry. Mikhail."

He rocked back on one foot, eyes darting around awkwardly, though the tight twist to his mouth seemed more from thought than his usual lacking social skills. "There's...if it's something you want to do, there's ways we can try to find them. They're your family, right?" He waved a hand vaguely. "I mean, by blood. Some tracking spells can link with stuff like that."

His expression softened slightly and he finally met Mikhail's eyes, if only for a moment. "And I'm not just going to ditch you in the woods somewhere. I'll get you where you need to go, or at least as close as I can."