Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dark tidings on light wings

Started by Anonymous, April 19, 2006, 07:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Reddi stared at the white parchment in her hands. As though looking at it long enough would make some of the words rearrange themselves, or direct eye contact would cast a spell to burn the orders out of existance. Neither were very likely, but she stared long anyway, pink eyes first wide with arched eyebrows, then worried with a furrowed brow.

A sigh that was more a whimper ended her staring contest with the parchment. She folded it in half, folding it again and again until it was bulky white square pinched between a finger and thumb. Her first thought once it'd been folded was to turn and pitch it into the fire. Then it would burn and she could claim she never saw it.

The problem was that she had seen it. Why couldn't she have spilled something on it to blot the words from view? No, that wouldn't have worked either. She would have reported the problem and a brand new sheet of white parchment would arrive on her doorstep.

A sudden wave of dizziness made the simple armchair next to the fire seem rather inviting. She sat, putting the offending letter in her lap and smoothing down her frothy layers of white skirts. Despite the layers she shivered, reaching a gloved hand up to twirl through her black hair. Where had all her confidence gone? That glorious day in Michael's iron halls she held her shoulders high and confident, sure that she could do anything he imagined.

That was the root of the problem. Michael's imagination was vaster than she guessed. Vaster than she ever dared guess. Reddi bit her lip to distract her from her throughts. They were blasphemy and Reddi wanted nothing to do with blasphemies.

Another shiver rocked her shoulders. Could she be worrying too much? She was still new and there was much she still didn't understand. Michael knew this, and had provided her with a source of guidance. Bethany.

Bethany, sweet Bethany! Never had Reddi been more glad that she had the angel to serve her. A wide smile cracked Reddi's pale lips and she all but flew up from the chair, the little square letter flying across the room.

"Bethany!" She called, a bit of quivering fear ringing in her voice.

Anonymous

A sweet melody was heard from the kitchen.  It was a soft and soothing hum from Miss Reddi's servant Bethany.  She had her apron on and stood by the counter, eggs and a bowel in hand.  She scrambled them up and seasoned them, the light sound of sizzling from the stove cooking the ham and bacon and sausage in skillet in the background.  After mixing the eggs, she glided on over and checked the meats, careful not to burn them.  Then there were the hash browns and the pancakes, and then the French toast!  Most people may think this a lot of food, but it was the usual breakfast she cooked for her and Reddy in the mornings.  When the meats were cooked evenly, she took them from the stovetop and set them aside, covering them with a fitting lid.  Her cooking skill was superb, all her movements calm and fluid, not an ounce of hurry in her cool actions.  She moved like there wasn’t a worry left in the world.  

Now for the eggs.  She fired them up and made the cheese omelets and hash browns, dressing the two empty plates with them and placing the pans in the sink.  Now for the pancakes and French toast!  She had the after all prepared and the toast all dipped and let them cook lightly on the separate stovetop.  She still hummed her usual tune as she added to the plates beautifully, the meats, and then separate dishes for the sides.  She then set the table and placed the dishes out, and began pouring drinks.  Placing the last of the utensils in the sink, a familiar voice rang in her ear carrying a familiar name.  Bethany only smiled cheerfully and turned just in time to see Miss Reddy barge on in.  "Good morning Reddi!  My you look flustered! What could ever be the problem?" she asked in a cool calm voice, yet filled with concern for the girl.  Bethany approached Miss Reddi tranquilly and took her hands.  "Breakfast is ready! Why don’t we discuss it while we eat!" she offered, pulling out a seat and sitting Reddi in it. She sat across from her and then asked her once more. "So, what's wrong dear?"

Anonymous

Reddi let herself be guided to the table and sat without resistance. The sight and smell of the food before her made her stomach rumble a bit, but she propped her elbows on the table and rested her chin in her hands.

She felt calmer though, her servant never failed to calm her down when she was excited about anything. "I received my third set of orders today Bethany." She paused, glancing down at the plate set before her, then at the glass of milk and then back at Bethany. "And, and I don't know how to accomplish them! I never thought I would have to do something like this. I need your guidance Bethany, I need counsel about what to do with these orders." Reddi, in all her rashness to get the problem solved, quite forgot that her servant didn't know what she'd been ordered. Though, the young angel gave her an expectant look.

Then, the smell of the food finally broke through to her. She lowered her arms, took the fork and speared a bit of scrambled egg, still looking at Bethany.

Anonymous

Bethany blinked cluelessly at Miss Reddi as she let out her feelings.  She smiled and waited patiently. "What were the orders, dear?" She finally asked with a grin. She began eating peacefully as she waited for an answer. She finished chewing and spoke politely. "You haven't told me what they are yet." She smiled and took another bite. Again waiting until she swallowed, she continued. "So, what's the matter dear? You sound frantic. Is there something wrong with the orders?" She took another bit and then drank her milk, all her movements polite and proper.

Anonymous

Reddi watched her servant eat, watched the precise, proper way she went about handling such a normal thing like eating breakfast. When Bethany's words registered she could all but feel her cheeks burning as blood raced into them. That was right, she didn't get to see the parchment that arrived early this morning.

"I'm sorry," she said softly, setting the fork and it's egg down on her plate. "There isn't anything wrong with the orders, there's something wrong with me. I don't know if I can do them. I'm a new angel and haven't done much, but I know that I won't be able to carry out these orders as my leige expects me to."

Reddi looked down at the fork and egg and then looked back up at Bethany. "My first set of orders were to keep my predecessor from falling and divert him from his task as long as I could. I can do that. I can keep him in grace and keep him from his mission. There is nothing wrong with my doing so. I am only following what would be in Heaven's best interest.

My second set of orders was to watch over the progency of my predecessor. Enki, his name is Enki. I am to observe and if possible speak with this abomination and judge his character. That isn't difficult. It isn't hard to watch someone, to judge by what one sees of another. I can do that."

Reddi sighed and looked at her glass of milk breifly, before taking a slow sip from it. She licked at the milk that pooled on top of her lip and set the glass back on the table. For a few seconds, Reddi's eyes drifted to other objects in the room while she tried to gather her thoughts. She couldn't sound too anxious, it wasn't a very becoming trait. Then her eyes were back on Bethany's and she spoke: "I am a created angel. Made to suit the job my leige had in mind for me. Even my looks were made to suit my purpose, this purpose. Michael told me that there were three reasons I was made to look like this. I wear the face of a female angel that will cause certain emotions in those I have to interact with. He wouldn't tell me what emotions those were, He said that I would find out as my mission went on.

"Now I know them. My appearance will cause feelings of anguish, nostalgia and," she stopped as though the word were caught in her throat and took another quick drink of milk. "The third is love," she said quickly. "My third set of orders are to meet with the K'dosha formerly in the service of the archangels Elial and Arkarian. He has no master now that Arkarian has vanished. I am to... I am to convince this K'dosha to serve our lord Michael. I... am supposed to do whatever it takes to do so. But, but I don't know how," her voice cracked like she was about to cry. "He once loved a female angel that had this face, but I'm not this girl and I don't know what to do. I don't know how I can persuade him to serve Michael when the usual methods have already failed." Reddi took a deep breath and looked at Bethany, blinking her eyes rapidly to keep them from tearing up.

Anonymous

Bethany smiled and set down her utensils and clasped her hands with elbows on the table. She propped up her chin with her clasped hands and listened intently as poor Reddi explained her first and second orders. She knew Reddi was going somewhere with this. It must have been something she was afraid of, because of how she lingered around in her explanation. But Bethany only smiled and listened warmly, waiting patiently as Reddi slowly progressed through it. Now she was stuck and Bethany blinked curiously as Reddi distracted herself with other things.

"Go on, dear." She spoke gently, taking one hand away from her chin and reaching out to place it on one of Reddi's, rubbing it softly. Bethany nodded in agreement, and reached up with her hand and cupped Reddi's cheek sympathetically. "I understand you are uneasy about this, but there is nothing wrong with these emotions. Sure they may be very overwhelming at times, but I'm sure you're capable of handling this situation properly." Bethany cooed her with her ever so soft and caring voice. "All I can tell you is NOT to try and BE that woman he loved so dearly, but to be yourself. You can't replace the woman he loved, especially if you act as she dis, but with a familiar face, he would be drawn either closer or farther. You could very well cause him to not re-experience the love he had with her. And so by being who YOU are, and let the leaves fall freely, it may very well bring him close to you, enough to see you as your own person and someone he could relate to." She sang her words of wisdom softly.

Anonymous

Reddi smiled a little, grateful for her servant's reassurance and leaned into her hand when it was placed on her cheek. Though Bethany's advice soothed most of her fears about looking like this other angel, it left some questions aching for similar wisdom.

"I understand," she said softly. "I've never met my look-alike so there's no way I can try to be her. What I don't know is, how can I convince this K'dosha to consider Michael when others have come before me and failed? What does Michael think that I can do, I with this familiar face, that his other servants couldn't do?"