Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Balance of Nature (Glob!)

Started by DragonSong, November 19, 2019, 07:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Dauphin DaGlobster

A bitingly cold wind whistled down out of the mountains that rose up before her and Maka hunched even further into her heavy, oilskin coat, scowling down at her feet. Gods, she hated the cold.

What I wouldn't give for a hot drink, she bemoaned to herself, rather uselessly. It hardly did her any good to simply bitch about the cold, even if it was only to herself.

Because like it or not she really only had herself to blame for the position she was in. This is what she got for taking jobs without reading the fine print.

Well...not literally, of course. Honestly after spending a few weeks in with the man she had begun to doubt if the man was even literate. But the pay was good, and it had been too long since her last real job, so here she was, playing delivery girl. Trekking through the snow. Cursing herself.

How much further was it to Hyoite anyway?

"After this, no more jobs up north," Maka muttered to herself. "I don't care how good the pay is."

DaGlobster

Outside a cave framed by wind-swept snow, a harsh cold wind blew. The snow was misted into the air and from the snowy breeze emerged a horse with an armored rider on top.The rider wore antiquated armor, a coat of mail with a tattered, burgundy tabard and tall greathelmet. He had more modern components to his armor, however, and these included a breastplate, spaulders, arm plating and gauntlets. He had drained much of his power using the cold winds of winter to travel swiftly across the land, and thus stopped to spend a night and recover.

He liked to spend his springs and summers in the colder regions but once winter started to take hold he would travel the winds down to the greener lands to exact his eternal task. He'd killed one necromancer last year, tracked him halfway across the continent and slew him like a dog his fourth so far, and he still felt the satisfaction to this day.

"Here's perfect, Karvar," he said, and he slipped off his horse, giving the barded steed a stroke on the neck. The horse was regaled in a similarly colored mail coat as Seussal, although nowadays it hung a bit oddly on the horse, what with his skeletal nature. Karvar snorted and entered the cave, and Seussal followed.

Only for the both of them to stop, greeted by a curious sight. Mummified by the cold, the ancient corpse of a warrior sat with its back against the wall. His chest was torn open, armor splintered, suggesting that something mighty had slain him.

Out of habit, he knelt by this warrior, and was relieved to see that his soul had moved on. He took the old sword that laid by him and placed it on his lap, and nearly jumped when the old corpse grabbed his wrist, and started whispering.

The words of a dead man, to many, might seem untrustworthy. But to Seussal, those whispers he'd heard from an abandoned corpse in a snowy cave rang as the truth. Someone had rested here who had the powers of death about them, someone among the living.

A Necromancer.

He spent the rest of the night in quiet contemplation, and in the morning he set out from the cave with Karvar and took to the winds, turning back towards the cold north. This poor fool was going into HIS territory...

And so, riding upon a howling, snow-flurried wind, he was off.

DragonSong

Finally having decided to settle down and make camp for the night, Maka suddenly drew up short from the process of crouching over a bundle of reasonably dry sticks, attempting to light a spark with flint and the hilt of her katana.

Her eyes snapped around the tiny shelter she'd managed to fashion out of a rounded outcropping  that offered a sort of semi-cave, two and a half walls and ceiling of stone. Something was...wrong.

Dead.

Clenching her teeth, she tried to shove the feeling out of her mind. She could sense death within a near half-mile radius, but most of the time she was better at ignoring it. Her guard must be down after the long day of travel.

I can't feel anything, she told herself firmly, ruthlessly. I can't hear anything, I can't see anything, I can't. Feel. Anything.

She was so absorbed in her mantra and trying to get the fire started that she wasn't quite as alert to the rest of her surroundings as she perhaps should have been.

DaGlobster

The wind howled outside her shelter, and as it picked up and the flurries of snow obscured much beyond her shelter's protection. Then, against the natural wind a particularly biting cold blew in straight in towards her.

If she could sense death, then perhaps through her intensive denial she'd be able to notice that this particular signature was getting closer, and closer still. It didn't take him long to find necromancers. Once he was able to find some of their residual energy, it was a matter of tracking them down. The snowy, mountainous terrain also allowed him the luxury of travelling the icy breezes.

Outside her shelter, two icy blue points of light faded in very suddenly, and Seussal didn't hesitate to go straight for her. The points of light moved and after a few seconds Seussal came in close enough for the points of light to reveal themselves as his eyes. His sword, already drawn, was lifted unceremoniously.

He might've had a burning disgust for this random woman, but the fact that he was a knight still shone through in the brief words he spoke.

"Defend yourself."

And even though he'd given her the barest amount of a warning, there was zero hesitation in his movements as he just came straight up to her out of the blowing snow and fog. He hoisted his greatsword up with both hands (even if he only needed one to swing it) and swung it straight down on her from the other side of the fire.

DragonSong

"What in--?!"

Instinct drew her dual blades more than conscious thought, the staff swung around into a guard stance and clicked open so she could draw the katana and wakizashi in a matter of heartbeats. She was still barely in time to fling the blades up in a crossed stance just above her head to catch the great sword before it separated her head from the rest of her body.

The impact was jarring, shivering through her whole body, and she just barely managed to skate his sword off the edge of her longer blade before rolling away and leaping to her feet.

"Who the hells are you?!" she demanded, sinking back into a defensive crouch with her back to the stone wall, blades once more held in a crossed guard in front of her. Almost as soon as the words were out of her mouth, her "death sense" snapped through her; now that she was distracted with combat, her control over her magical abilities had begun to slip.

Her lip curled and she narrowed her eyes at him, gaze going flat and cold. "Undead," she answered her own question in a low, disgusted hiss.

DaGlobster

"The last you'll ever see," he spit back, unable to hide the venom in his voice, and he didn't want to give her a moment's reprieve. With her back against the wall like that, she was open to a magical attack.

He balled up his free hand and then thrust it forwards to unleash a blast of piercing cold towards her, then he advanced through the lingering frost in the air and went in for a downwards cleave.

DragonSong

She felt the air chill an instant before the blast of icy magic was released, and it was just barely enough of a warning for her to drop and roll out of the way, sprinting back up to her feet with her blades still crossed as he came down again with the sword.

"Stop!"

Maka had never embraced her powers, never used them when she could at all helpnit. So the most she was consciously capable of doing was seeing and speaking with restless spirits—but she knew that a natural-born necromancer could actually control the dead. With a little training, at least.

She had none of the training, but nearly twice as much natural ability; so she threw her power out toward the creature in a bid of desperation, trying to exert her will over the thing. She had no idea if it would work, but gods she could hope.

"Return through the Veil," she all but begged, panting as she twisted away from the attack. "Rest."

DaGlobster

As soon as those vestiges of necromantic control were extended towards Seussal, he let out a genuine roar of anger, and that energy she'd thrown towards him doubled back and went straight back to her as lashes of magical feedback.

"You cannot control me. Accept your retribution!"

He lost a bit of his composure at that, and what was usually a knightly figure that fought with a sense of martial propriety turned into a bellowing striker. He came barreling in for a quick, two-handed thrust. He still had mind enough to keep his combat wits about him, and was ready for her to defend herself...

DragonSong

Retribution for what?! she was tempted to shout. She might have, if she hadn't been forced on the defensive again by him rushing at her.

"Just stop!" she tried again, just barely managing to throw up a mental block in time to stop the worst of the magical backlash before she had to pivot on her back foot in an effort to evade his next strike. "I don't know who raised you, but I can send you back if you let me! Stop!"

She had no idea if what she promised she could actually do, but she was desperate.

DaGlobster

[Lol just realized Maka is fighting something that basically amounts to a dark souls enemy lol]

He said nothing else for the moment, taking  the time to readjust himself. He stepped closer to her fire, and the sheer chill of his presence caused the flame to dwindle and die out. He didn't need to answer her pitiful begging, merely kill her and move on.

And so as she busied herself calling for him to stop he rushed forwards and swung his icy great-sword downwards in a heavy cleave. A slow move that he would follow up by then stepping in and making a wide swing sideways in an attempt to catch a dodge.

DragonSong

[Oh jeez, let's hope she doesn't die as many times as I would lol]

Maka had no chance against this creature in a show of pure strength--but she might be faster.

Quick as a snake, she dropped under first swing, falling onto her back with her hands still clutching her blades braced behind her, then flipped back to her feet. She only narrowly managed to avoid his wide swipe at her side, and only because she'd ducked under rather than around.

"Why are you doing this?!" she screeched desperately. The thing was clearly sentient--not simply a raised corpse with a half a spirit shoved back into it so it could serve a necromantic master. Maybe, maybe she could reason with it?

Long enough to send the spirit back through the Veil, anyway.

DaGlobster

In his heavy armor, Seussal definitely was at a disadvantage when it came to mobility, even though his physical form's skeletal body was a lot more agile and lithe than the average person. They parted after the last bout of attacks, and Seussal raised his greatsword to point it at Maka.

"I protect the dead of the world from your corruption, Necromancer," he said, spitting the last word out with the vitriol of a dead man eternally scorned.

"You're not the first I've buried!" He said, surging forwards again, this time wantonly stepping across her campfire, raising his sword only to tuck it back in at the last moment and make a quick swing with the hilt and pommel guard of his weapon, aimed at her side.

DragonSong

"Protect--?!"

The exclamation was more an indignant squawk, one that maybe didn't belong in such a severe fight. She had to drop to the ground again to avoid his swing, eyes going wide as she nearly fell for the feint and narrowly avoided losing her head.

"Protect them from what?" Her voice rose in fear and anger. She shouldn't be speaking with this thing--but clearly banishing it hadn't worked, and she had no idea how long she'd be able to keep up the fight. "I want nothing to do with the dead! I just want to be left alone!"

The last words rose to a desperate shout, and the power that she still didn't understand bubbled up in her chest.

And for a moment, just a moment, there was a flicker. A thinning in the Veil. A hand on her shoulder, the scent of clean grass after a rainstorm and spiced rice wine in her nose. Her eyes widened and she faltered in bringing her longer blade down toward her attacker's shoulder.

Grandmother...?

It was gone in an instant and she staggered, her strike going wide while her shorter sword sparked against cold stone.

DaGlobster

Even Seussal had his limits. There was a period of his life where he cut people down without pity, but ever since he'd been cursed with the return of his free will, he was now a man caged within a monstrous form. The spirits and dead of the world had been his sole comfort, and the eager spirits of warriors past were his most frequent comrades, either as ghosts or inhabiting their old bodies for one final fight.

But to deny someone their rest just to use them as a slave? That was the most despicable act of all, something that took evil. Something that this girl didn't have, or that was what he was starting to suspect.

Her swing went wide, sword hitting the stone, and in that moment he could've very well run her through with his greatsword. But something in his eyes changed, and they seemed to blaze with less fury than before as he merely stepped forwards to shove her onto her rear and pin her down with his boot on her chest.

He held the point of his sword down at her, but much of the menace had left his movements.

"Speak, then."

DragonSong

Fighting for breath as his boot came down on her chest, Maka glared up at him. She had been reaching for the sword that was knocked from her hand when he threw her back, but it was just out of reach, and she needed to focus her energy on drawing in enough air to actually speak.

"Who...are you?" she demanded, struggling to lift his foot to no avail. Her eyes burned up at him, rage and confusion nearly--but not quite--masking the fear that hid behind them.

DaGlobster

It was nice to be talked to like a person, he had to admit, and the weight on her chest eased lightly at her words. Seussal was silent for a few more cold moments before he spoke.

"I am freed, once a servant. I ward the rest of the fallen from those who would disturb it."

Then, a little fire came back.

"I seek to eradicate necromancy. Thus, I was drawn to you."

DragonSong

"Eradicate--what?!"

If she'd had more air, she probably would have been shouting at him. As it was, a mildly irritated hiss was pretty much all she could manage, even with the weight on her chest slightly eased.

Her own eyes snapped violet fire at him as she shoved at the boot again. Her other arm stretched out, reaching for her sword once more, though she knew it was probably futile. "I'm not a necromancer," she spat at him--and despite the fact that it was ostensibly a lie, something in her voice rang true. Maka had never once used her powers willingly.

DaGlobster

"And yet the dead tell me of your passing. However..."

And then finally, he took his boot off of her, surprisingly heavy, given what he really was underneath the armor. He kept his sword out, not quit ready to fully trust her, but...

"...You're clearly not malevolent. Despite your feeble attempt to command me."

DragonSong

"Command you?"

Maka glared at him even as she darted for her own blade once his foot was lifted. She didn't attack, just fell back into a guard stance with the two swords crossed in front of her body, her eyes flickering over him warily.

"I was trying to release you, you icy bastard. I thought you were a revenant or something."

Alright, so maybe she wasn't a practicing necromancer. Didn't mean she hadn't done her research.

...Some research, anyway.

DaGlobster

He huffed a bit at her terminology. He didn't even move when she popped up and crossed her swords at him, and he lowered his greatsword to his side.

"I don't need your release. There may come a time for me to rest, but not now."

He hoisted  his sword to change the grip and slide it down into the long scabbard on his belt. He crossed his arms, but overall his demeanor pacified and the winds around her small shelter didn't seem to blow as fiercely now. She'd be able to make out the silhouette of his horse nearby, eyes glowing as it waited patiently in the blizzard.

"If you are not a necromancer, then who are you?"