Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Balance of Nature (Glob!)

Started by DragonSong, November 19, 2019, 07:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I--"

She snapped her mouth shut and glowered at him. Damnit, why should she tell him anything? He'd been trying to kill her a minute ago!

Still...probably better to try to stay on this creature's good side, if at all possible.

"I'm...nothing," Maka answered on a sigh, finally rocking back out of her defensive stance to sheathe her swords. To her surprise, it was about as honest of an answer as she'd ever really expected to give. "I'm not important. What the hells are you?"

DaGlobster

"I am nothing," Seussal echoed, and he cast his eyes down towards the ruined campfire, before gazing out into the snowy night beyond her camp.

"I had a life. I was a champion of prestige and prowess, I had titles and gold and... a lover..."

He sighed, letting his menacing surface chip away a little with the human gesture.

"Now I do what little I can for the dead."

DragonSong

Maka just continued to stare at him in silence for several long moments. She didn't relax out of her guard stance, but she did huff out a small breath and flick her eyes to the snow still blowing outside the small shelter.

"...Sorry."

Another sharp exhale and she finally slid her foot back to stand in a more relaxed pose. "Well...are you satisfied, then? I'm not harming any dead. In fact, I want nothing to do with the dead. Yourself included, honestly. No offense."

She looked to the snow, the strange mount out in the white, then back to the creature that had attacked her. She sighed. "But if you need to rest...this is the only shelter for miles. I'm not going to kick you out of it. Just don't come at me with that sword again."

DaGlobster

At her offer of shelter from the cold, he stilled. It wasn't much of an offer but to a dead man, even the intent behind that shone through. He gave her a considering look, only to look back out into the storm towards the blurry shape of his horse.

"Come, Karvar."

Immediately, the creature approached, and now that it was closer Maka would be able to see that it was armored head to hoof in old-style chain barding, arraigned with plates on the shoulders and back, and over the head.

The horse's eyes glowed the same color as Seussal's, with the same kind of chilling intelligence. Seussal knelt down to put some of her scattered logs back onto the fire in order to keep it from going out.

"You may not have disturbed any dead, but you do not deny that you harbor the powers of necromancy."

He took up his sword, and sunk it into the campfire. It sprung up into bright blue flames. Not warm, but it seemed to repel the cold all the same. Finally, he set himself down in front of the fire, and slowly started to work the buckles on his gauntlets.

"How did the power come to you?"

DragonSong

Maka hissed quietly as the...horse moved into the small bit of shelter. That thing was just unsettling.

As was her new guest, though she supposed it was her own fault that he remained.

She hissed again when he thrust his sword into the fire and the blade caught light, skittering back and muttering a few choice curses under her breath in her native Thanati before snapping her gaze back to glower at him.

"No point in denying something you can probably sense as easy as breathing," she muttered as she began to settle again. She linked her swords together once more, keeping the staff in a relaxed position near her side--but still close enough to grab easily if he came at her again. Looking away from him, she shrugged and added, "It didn't. Come to me. I...always had it. Far back as I can remember."

...She'd never actually told someone that before. It dawned on her how strange this conversation was, and she almost had to fight down a sudden urge to giggle. So many years avoiding the dead, even the friendlier ones, and now here I am chatting with a revenent that tried to kill me.

Wait. Was that right?

"What are you then, exactly?" she asked abruptly, not bothering with any sort of tact. He certainly hadn't, when he attacked her out of nowhere. "I mean, you're not just...a raised corpse. You have memory. You can think. So...revenent? Or something else?"

DaGlobster

"You were born with it?" he said, sounding genuinely surprised. He'd never encountered someone with a natural affinity for the dead. All the necromancers he'd encountered so far had always learned their trade, or made some kind of pact.

Never a natural.

"I... I'm not much now," he said, letting his head fall a bit. Finally, he worked his gauntlets off and thy fell to the snow beside him. His hands were translucent and blue, like a spirit holding a human form. He held them out towards the eldritch flame, which seemed to writhe in response to his proximity.

"But in life..."

Images sprung forth from the fire. A man wearing Seussal's armor, proud and handsome atop his mighty horse.

"House Veno never had a more faithful defender as I. Though of common birth, I exceeded over all others, and even caught the Baroness' eye... Stygia, my once eternal lover..."

An image of Seussal and a staggeringly beautiful woman holding each other emerged from the fire, but his fist clenched and the image faded to smoke, all save for the woman, who's eyes started to take a menacing, reddish glow to them.

"She sought too much. Reached too high. She... she did what all thought unthinkable, even heretical..."

The image of a castle exploding from within. A titanic black dragon emerged from the chaos, and then Seussal was depicted again, crushed under rubble, lifeless. A pair of draconic claws picked him out of the rubble, and magic started to flow.

"I was only ever there to serve her, our love... the eternal bond we shared, was hers to use. Devoted, I came eagerly when she raised me. She blinded me with servitude, made me slaughter and... and the rest of House Veno fell by my blade. Her family, her guards, anybody who'd ever doubted her..."

He was quiet after that, thought unfinished but seemingly lost in the memories.

DragonSong

The young necromancer nodded, once, as her only reaction to his surprise. She'd gotten that a lot, when she first came to the mainland. Even as a child she'd known better than to act as though she was asking more than hypothetical questions, but pretty much no one she'd spoken with had heard of someone being born a necromancer. Born with a natural aptitude toward learning necromantic arts, even born with the talent to speak to or summon ghosts, but born with the ability to raise and control the dead?

That was apparently quite a rarity.

Which meant she had no idea how to control it. Had never bothered to learn anything beyond what it took to keep the power contained, hidden. At least as best she could manage.

When the creature sitting across from her fire removed the gauntlet, she actually skittering back a bit, eyes going a little wide.

"Wight," she hissed. She didn't know how she knew it, but she did.

He made no move to attack again though, so she subsided, eyeing him warily as he began to speak. Her eyes flickered between the flames and the shapes therein and his face--or at least what little of it she could make out. Her gaze flickered to the undead animal at the mouth of their shelter once or twice as well.

When he'd finished talking, she just looked at him in silence for several long moments. Then:

"Uh-huh. So why'd she bring the horse back?" She jerked a thumb in the direction of his mount, voice dry.

Internally, she was reeling. Whatever he was, whoever had raised him... That was power like she'd never even heard of, much less actually come up against. So she fell back on quips and queries in an effort to keep him on the defensive while she tried to process what was happening.

"And I mean, no offense meant or anything, but it kinda seems like you've got questionable taste in women, Master Wight." She shrugged. "I'll grant she was a knockout, but not exactly stable, apparently."

DaGlobster

"I didn't know." Seussal said. It was the simple, brutal truth. He didn't know she was trying to turn herself into a dragon until the day it succeeded... and the whole castle was destroyed.

At the mention of his horse, Seussal looked back at the beast, which seemed to be curiously studying Maka with an intelligence not altogether horse-like.

"Karvar's mine, I brought him back myself," he said, speaking fondly. Karvar seemed to notice and approached to stroke his armored muzzle against his helmet. Seussal responded with pets.

"He came back to me. Necromancers force and rip, but Karvar chose to rejoin me."

Still, his mood sobered and he looked back over to Maka.

"And yes, I am a Wight. I am impressed you can tell, even through my concealment," he murmured as he flexed his ghostly fingers.

"Do you know what a Wight is? Truly?"

DragonSong

"I..."

Maka looked down at his hands, then at the horse, then warily to his face once again. "I...don't," she admitted at last with a frustrated sigh. She reached one hand up to rake her fingers through her hair, disheveling it quite effectively. "Honestly, I didn't even know I knew that word until I just... I could just feel it. You. Whatever. I can't explain it."

She shrugged a little helplessly. He had no reason to believe her, but...well, it was the truth. Her "gift" had always been like that: instinctive, automatic, and almost entirely inexplicable.

The horse though--that was interesting. And maybe she could direct conversation away from her own discomfort about her powers. "How'd you manage that, then? I mean... Look, I'm not exactly well-versed in this stuff, but how does a spirit choose to get...resurrected? I was under the impression that wasn't really a thing."

DaGlobster

"The world of the dead lays much closer to our own than most people realize."

He looked up to meet her eyes, eyes glaring with an icy blaze. He clenched his fists, and the illusion fell away, revealing clean, white bones suffused with the bluish-black glow of death.

"Wights are the commanders of undead legions. By my very creation, I am a pathway from the world of death to the world of the living. My other talents are... more apparent," he said, gesturing to his sword, still embedded in the fire.

He lifted his head a bit and undid the clasp for his helmet, and slid it off to reveal that while he was still wearing the padded hood, he was in fact a bare skull with brightly burning eyes.

"Through me, the dead can return willingly to this earth. When I have needed help in the past, I've reached out to old soldiers. Offered them a chance to fight once again."

Finally, he crossed his arms.

"Only the willing."

DragonSong

"...Okay, but how can you talk?"

It really shouldn't have been the first thing out of her mouth. That probably should have been, "Holy shit" or maybe a solid "fuck".

But as she stared at him--his skull--him, whatever, all she could think was--

"You shouldn't be able to do that with just bones. You--you need lips. And a tongue. And..."

Well, vocal chords, for one thing.

Growling under her breath, Maka dropped her head into her hands. "Gods, I hate magic. Nothing ever makes sense." She snapped her head up to glare over his shoulder at the horse. "You don't make sense." Her eyes moved back to the Wight. "You definitely don't make sense." She gestured to the cold fire that still somehow kept them from freezing. "That doesn't make sense!" Her hand slammed into her chest. "I don't make sense!"

She was nearly panting before she realized, glaring at him. Then she seemed to sort of snap out of it and jerked her eyes away, jaw set. "...Right. So you're a commander of undead legions. Fine. Just peachy. Congrats. You still don't make any fucking sense."

DaGlobster

"What makes you think I've got a fucking clue?" Seussal said, sitting up a bit straighter. He paused a moment to recompose himself.

"I couldn't tell you the properties of what animates me. Why I've been allowed to speak, but crafted in such a... a hideous shape..."

He passed a hand across his cheek and bare teeth.

"But it comes to me naturally. All of it. Calling to the dead, or killing with ice. My power is strongest during the winter. Icy wind and snow are my roads and current."

And then he extended a hand to point a bony finger at her.

"It seems we are both bearers of a power we cannot quite understand."

DragonSong

Maya blinked at him. Then, slowly, she started to smile.

“So you can talk like a normal person.” She sounded almost smug, smirking at him a little. But honestly...it was weirdly comforting. Even she wasn’t entirely sure why.

With a huff, she shrugged and sat back a bit, bracing one hand behind her. “Yeah, I suppose we are. Funny that...”

She looked up at him sidelong, then took a fortifying sort of breath. “...You’re not hideous, you know. You’re...odd, but not hideous.” She shrugged. “Plenty of scarier things in the world than a couple of bones. Trust me.”

DaGlobster

"I suppose so," came Seussal's curt reply. After a few moments, he slipped his helmet back on and sheathed his arm in a ghostly form as he put his gauntlet back on.

He didn't quite know what to make of that look she was giving him. It was odd to be looked upon with familiarity like that, especially since the only one who'd ever looked at him like that after his death was... Her.

Her words made him chuckle, and now that he'd been disarmed of his air of mystery he wasn't focused on looking all intimidating, either.

"Many would beg to differ. They don't have the same perspective that we do."

DragonSong

Maka's eyes shuttered, her expression going carefully blank. "Many are idiots." She glanced away, over his shoulder out to the snowstorm that seemed to be steadily gaining power. "Small-minded, fearful idiots."

She blinked, then released a sharp breath and shook her head, forcing herself back into the present. Looking back to the Wight, she cocked her head and considered him for a moment before asking, "So...what are you doing out here? Other than accosting perfectly innocent mercenaries who happen to be able to talk to ghosts?"

The words were dry, almost biting, but there was the barest hint of humor behind her deep amethyst eyes, and a very slight curve to one corner of her mouth that bordered dangerously on playful.

DaGlobster

Her question left him a little embarrassed, and even though his icy eyes and helmet-covered skull betrayed no emotion, he couldn't meet her eyes when she finished it. He had a moment of quiet, and then looked back to her to answer.

Then, he saw the playfulness in her expression. The warmth. Somehow, the gaze in his eyes softened, and he made an amused huff.

"I was on my way out of the mountains when I happened upon a corpse in a cave," he started, and he straightened up where he sat and rest back on his palms.

"He told me of a death-touched human travelling into the mountains. There are... places of death here that should remain silent and untouched. It is why I make my home here, to guard them."

"I came charging in to stop a necromancer but all I've found so far is a mercenary with a smart mouth," he said, retorting her playfulness with some teasing of his own.

DragonSong

"Oi. How dare you say things that are entirely accurate," Maka huffed mildly, leaning back on her own palms and tipping her head to the side so she could look between him and the spectral horse still hovering near the entrance to their little shelter.

She pursed her lips. "I...don't know if I'm a necromancer. Honestly. But I am a mercenary. I'm on a job." A sudden gust of wind cut through her words, lowering the temperature in the cave a few degrees and making the ghostly fire flicker. She shivered, huddling in on herself a bit. "And I'm fucking freezing, gods. Suppose that's at least one advantage you've got, huh?"

As far as she understood it, at least, the dead didn't exactly get cold.

DaGlobster

A job.. interesting. What could be going on in his stretch of Kilanthro that warranted a visit from mercenaries?

"You carry the mantle of death," Seussal commented, falling still until she spoke once again, which drew his concern.

"Nothing is colder than death. The frost of the mortal world seems like warmth in comparison," he said, and with a motion of his hand, the wind ceased to invade their shelter.

"There are barrows not too far from here. They would make adequate shelter, and in return I only ask you what your purpose here is."

DragonSong

"Huh." Maka uncurled slightly as the wind died down, blinking. "Useful."

She glanced toward the wight, frowning slightly. "Barrows," she repeated, with no small amount of distaste. Great. Just what she needed. More ghosts.

Still, he was probably right, it would be better than a random, shallow cave. She sighed and let her head fall back, eyes closed.

"Honestly? I don't ask too many questions. A friend of a friend needed a favor, some sort of...delivery. Up to Hyoite." She nodded toward her pack, shoved up against the stone wall near where she sat. "I'm not supposed to open it. Small though, and doesn't feel magic, but..." She shrugged. "I'm--mostly good with dead things. Sensing-wise, anyway, so I'm not really sure."

She realized that she'd started to reach up to play with her pendant as she spoke, and quickly dropped her hand back down again, flushing a little. That was a nervous habit she'd thought she'd broken herself of years ago.

Another shrug. "Whatever it is, it's important enough that they wanted someone who could hold her own in a fight delivering it. Which is not usually my job, but..." She sighed and rolled her eyes at herself. "Pay's good, and a girl's gotta eat, right? Er--" She glanced toward Seussal a little guiltily. "No offense."

DaGlobster

"None taken," came Seussal's curt reply.

He couldn't help but notice her disdain for barrows, but  knew that ultimately his suggestion was a good one. After all, the winds outside were only a portent of the razor-cold gusts that the dark night would bring.

And he wanted to be polite, and pay attention to the answer that he'd asked for, but that pendant around her neck distracted him. He could feel the animating energies of death thrumming inside the deceptively passive object. As one of the dead, it was like a beacon of pure essence to him.

Fortunately, he tuned back in time to catch her admittance,

"I could examine it, if it pleases you. I have a strong eye for intangible energies."