Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Quest for the Celestial Aegis (@Nightcrawler)

Started by wandering_giraffe, September 08, 2023, 01:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightcrawler

"Did anybody see how many, if any, were in the tavern?" Big Man asked.

"There was at least the one wolf-looking...thing. Like her," Fletcher called to the man as he left. He jerked his head over at Fenris as he spoke. He still wouldn't look at her. He'd finally lowered his coat and slipped his arms through the sleeves again. The Captain's blood made it cool and heavy against his shirt.

He stared down at Elara. Dog Lady was right: she didn't look good. She'd lost a lot of blood. She'd be on bed rest for weeks, and that was if she ever woke up. In the meantime, the crew's hierarchy would shake out, and if someone took charge who didn't give a fig about the map, he could lose it all. He eyed the book that he'd thrown to the floor when she fell. "I know fuck all about how this magical fairy shite works," he muttered. "But...Fenris. Was there anything in that witchy...potion-y...book...thing...that could help her?"

Goldie

"No." Nik said firmly, "If we move him we risk spreading that we know. It could light the fuse of a fight we're woefully unprepared to win. Keep him here, put someone trustworthy to watch'im."

Nik ran his hand across his face, thankful the blood had already dried and didn't leave streaks. This was too much...this wasn't what he wanted for his life. It wasn't what he wanted for Elara. Hell, Fletcher had just joined them and even without knowing a lick about him he didn't deserve this either.

"Get the whole crew on deck. Everyone, do you understand? Tell them the captain is going to relay plans for our next mark, nothing else. Got it?"

He didn't wait for a response before turning to Fletcher and Fenris.

"Fletch, are you good in a fight?" He asked, halfway to the door, "If any of us are going to make it out alive, we're going to need you if things go south. Elara brought you here, help us save her ship."

He paused.

"Uh...please."
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

wandering_giraffe

Kkärsvig nodded and leaned out of the door, motioning for his two men to come in.
"You don't let this bastard escape this room! And you protect the captain with your life, savvy?" The two men nodded and took up positrons on either side of the collapsed Aikios.

Kkärsvig hurriedly gathered up everyone he could find, merely telling them what Nik told him to say. Soon enough, all of the crew had gathered on deck. Well. Almost all of the crew. Seven were missing, having figured out that Aikios had not come back, and had promptly hid somewhere in the depths of the ship, planning their next move.

Fenris anxiously picked up the book and skimmed through it.
"The magic isn't quite the same...but I can try to find something. Maybe an antidote of some sort..." Fenris's brow furrowed as she flipped through the pages.

Meanwhile, up on deck, some of the crew were getting restless, murmuring among their selves.

Nightcrawler

Fletch shot a pained look at the first mate. Did he want to say it? Should he reveal his cards to this complete stranger? He didn't make a habit of being honest, but seemed like the only option left. And so did backing the man on flushing out this mutiny once and for all. Fletcher rubbed at the bridge of his nose, glancing blearily between Elara and the horror show that was Fenris. Yeah...she seemed like the mothering type. She knew medicine. She could handle it. He was no use down here anymore. He returned his attention to Nik and let out a weary groan.

"Mate, look. You don't know what you're asking. I'm one bloody nose away from taking a dirt nap, here. And I haven't any powder or wad for this fucking thing, either." He gestured at the pistol Fenris had given him. "You'd be better off deputizing the ship's cat. But...yeah. Alright. Fine." He glanced around sick bay for a better weapon. Unless he wanted to borrow Elara's sword, there was nothing in sight. He got the feeling she'd cut his hand off for something like that, anyways.

"You got a spare rapier, at least?"

Goldie

Nik breathed a noticeable sigh of relief when Fletch decided to join him. He understood the man, probably more than he would ever let on. This wasn't what he was good at. Subterfuge and infiltration was where he thrived, but this? This moment of violence and death....he didn't like killing ever. It wasn't his style. Knock out? Rough up? Maybe a little, but only if he absolutely needed to do so. He stooped down and took Aikios' blades from his person making sure to keep them firmly in their sheaths.

His face was pale and his lips set in a firm line when he stepped forward and clapped the man on his shoulder, "Thank you. With any luck you won't need to. Hang back on the deck. Keep your ears open." Then he unhooked the sword at his hip and handed it to Fletch.

"Not a rapier, but it'll have to do."

Then he turned and began exiting the room, thought better of it for just a moment and paused in the doorway, "You're a good, man."

And then he was gone.

Nik needed to act quickly. The blades he'd taken were draped over his shoulder as he made his way back to the cargo hold. He passed a few people making their way to the deck and they eyed him suspiciously.

"Oi, Nik, where'd your shirt go, eh?" one of the crew that had always been friendly asked with a chuckle as they passed. Nik just shrugged and made some kind of snarky remark he couldn't remember before slipping through the door. There, he found a bag of clothes and slipped a loose jacket around himself, not even caring to put on a shirt. That would take too long.

There was the elf...still covered in blood with dozens of gaping stab wounds. His stomach churned, but he leaned over and hoisted the body across his shoulder and then made his way to the deck. He couldn't have been more than five minutes, but already people were getting antsy. Where was Elara? Where was the captain? Why had she summoned them but wasn't waiting on deck?

Then they spotted Nik and the conversations stopped. They stared, wide-eyed, surprised.

Nik laid the body down gently in front of them and then stood, sticky blood smeared on his torso and the jacket he had commandeered. Then he tossed the sheathed blades down next to them and silently looked each person in the eye before speaking.

"Many of you came to me. You voiced your concerns. I didn't know how serious the situation was. I'm sorry I didn't act faster. I know you're angry, you're upset, you're looking for something better and you think you found it." Then he gestured to the body, "This is how Aikios repays his friends. Killed in cold blood in the cargo bay. Don't believe me? Look at the blades. You'll recognize them. They're his. He carries them every day. They're still covered in blood. C'mon then. Look." He took a step back to allow members of the crew to examine the blades, the blood, and see that the size of each wound perfectly matched the blades.

"I'm not your enemy." He added softly after a moment, holding his hands wide, "I'm not even armed."

wandering_giraffe

TW: VIOLENCE, DEATH, UPSETTING SCENES

The crew that had gathered on deck was getting restless.
Nik finally showed up, the elf's dead body over his shoulder, the crew falling silent in concern.
They listened to him explain what was going on, concerned murmurs about Aikios filtering through the crowd.
"Where's Elara? Why isn't she here?" S shout from the back of the crew.
A quiet conversation began among some of the crew. Th tension was slowly building.
One burly pirate stepped forward, his arms folded. More followed, and they all inspected the body. What Nik said was true. The wounds matched up with the swords.
"What about Aikios?" One of the pirates that was inspecting the body cautiously inquired, one hand resting uneasily on the handle of his sword.
Agreements and shouts from 3 others in the crew went up, the tension uneasily getting worse.

Down in the medbay, after searching through Aikios's shelves and his desk, she finally found an elixir that might help Elara. After administering it, there was literally nothing she could do but wait. She impatiently paced around the room, the two men guarding Aikios concernedly looking from Fenris to the captain.
"Is...Is Captain going to make it?" one of the men quietly asked.
Fenris stopped pacing and looked at him.
"I honestly don't know."
Aikios groaned from where he was on the ground. He was slowly regaining consciousness again.
A small, very weak movement of Elara's chest made one of the men point at Elara.
"She was breathing!"
That made Fenris immediately rush to her side and check her pulse again. It was slightly stronger than the last time she had checked it. That was an improvement.
While Fenris was tending to Elara, leaning over her to listen to her heart, the discordant tension from up above was filtering down from the main deck. The two men exchanged glances.
One discreetly knelt down next to Aikios to check his pulse, except he wasn't checking his pulse. He was quietly cutting through the ropes that had Aikios bound, the other man quietly drawing his knife and backing towards the door.
He mouthed "it's time," to the other man and opened the door and disappeared down the hall.
Fenris turned around.
"She's improving-where's the other guy?"
An uncomfortable feeling gnawed at her brain.
Her ears went back, and a low growl formed in her throat.
She stood in front of the bed on which Elara was lying.
"Whose side are you on?" She asked the man, her claws were out and her teeth bared.
"Cmon, wolf. I just need to make sure Elara's dead. Then I'll leave," the man lied, a dagger in his hand.
Fenris took an empty potions bottle and threw it on the ground.
"You cross that broken bottle, and you'll wake up in the afterlife," she threatened, her eyes daring him to try.
In the background, Aikios slowly rolled over and very slowly pushed himself up with a groan, his good hand going to the large lump on his head.
"Is it just us two now?" He worriedly asked after a minutes pause.
"No...the crew I think is up on deck...some of ours could be down in the hold waiting. Vær went to alert them."
Fenris growled.
"I was hoping Kkärsvig actually killed you."
Before Aikios could reply, the sound of boots in the outlying hall could be heard, and the mutineers that had been hiding filed in.
Aikios counted. There were seven not including him.
"Two of you...stay down here and finish...that," Aikios gestured at Fenris and Elara.
"The rest of you get up on the main deck...when I give the signal, fight like hell. I'll be right beside you."
The mutineers nodded and left, except for the two that Aikios had ordered to stay.
Aikios took a careful step and groaned again. Someone had stolen his weapons. Kkärsvig packed a wallop, he had to hand it to him. Vær tossed him his sword, having two daggers in his belt already. 
He turned to leave and then paused.
"I don't want either of them making it out of here alive."
And with that he left, heading up to the main deck.
The two mutineers turned and split up, circling around Fenris. She hadn't attacked while Aikios was in here because there was no way she could have beaten all eight. But two against one were pretty good odds.
She smiled, an unnerving, feral smile.
"The doors right there if you want to leave."
Vær lunged at her, drawing a dagger. She dodged and kicked his legs out from under him.
The other mutineer managed to land a slash across her back, and she whirled and brutally slashed him across the torso with her razor sharp claws, the man falling to the floor clutching his chest. She managed to grab his dagger by the blade and wrest it from his hand as he fell. She turned around—-where did Vær go? Two explosions of pain in her torso let her know that Vær was in fact behind her and had just ran her through the back with two daggers, and then viciously yanking them out.
She howled in pain and tried to turn around but a swift, harsh kick to the back of her leg downed her.
"And stay down, bitch," Vær sneered with another kick to her ribs.
He walked almost languidly over to where Elara lay on the bed, raising the crimson stained daggers over his head for the death blow.
Fenris, breathing heavily, and with much difficulty threw the dagger she had grabbed. The dagger landed right in the center of Vær's neck, him collapsing with a spray of blood.
Fenris let out the loudest, most agonized howl she could before her world faded into black.

Nightcrawler

Fletcher took the sword. "Fuck," he muttered. He didn't know how to use one of these great, bulky things. There wasn't any speed or finesse to a weapon this heavy. But the first mate was right: it would have to do. He gave the man a strange look that lingered after he'd left the room. "'Course I'm good," he muttered, like it should be obvious to anyone at all. He turned to Dog Lady. "You're sure you've got this? She's going to be alright. Right?" And then, without any further delay, he headed above deck.

He arrived before the mate to a gathering of restless sailors who'd been promised answers. He did indeed hang back. It wasn't because the man had told him to, mind. He could just see for himself just how deadly this could get, and how fast. Finally, Nik showed up with the evidence hanging limp in his arms. "I hope you know what you're doing," Fletcher murmured, stepping aside to give him space. But before the crew could decide for themselves which way the wind was going to blow, a howl echoed up through the hatch. Then another.

"Something's wrong," he hissed. "Nik. Someone's infiltrated sick bay. Never mind this, we need to go." He started for the hatch. It opened before he reached it. Five more crew members climbed out on deck. And they did not look friendly. "Look out. More of the bastards." Fletcher backed away slowly, hand on the top-heavy sword, hoping to all hell that this wasn't the end.

Goldie

Nik watched with bated breath as the crew stepped forward to examine the body. The murmurs that followed should have made him feel more confident, but he couldn't relax. It certainly sounded like they believed him but the situation was charged and could change at any moment into a bloodbath.

And he had given away his short sword.

It had been a calculated risk and if anyone decided to charge he'd have to do his best to dodge and deflect until he could get to the edge of the ship and jump overboard. He fingered the ring in his pocket anxiously but did his best to keep his face as passive as possible.

"I'm not lying to you. Aikios killed our friend here without thought. He also stabbed Elara – your captain. She's fighting for her life at this very moment."

Gods when did he become a diplomat? When did his life become being a leader? He wasn't a leader. He was a fucking idiot who didn't know when to leave well enough alone and got entangled in too much shit he could have otherwise avoided.

"Good." A voice from the back pierced through the whispers, "Elara's been nothin' but a loose cannon these past months.  We don' want her t'be our captain."

Dammit.

Nik tensed, but no one moved against him. They were oddly still. They weren't even reaching for weapons.

"But we sure as hell don't want Aikios." He added, pointing at the dead sailor, "We'll follow you, though."

Fuck.

Fuck!

But he didn't have time to respond. At that point he, too, heard the howls from below deck and heard Fletcher shouting.

There wasn't time. There wasn't time!

"Go!" He commanded Fletch before turning to the rest of the crew.

"Then prove it." he shouted, "Raze them to the ground!"

And then the fighting began.

wandering_giraffe

When Aikios got onto the main deck, the fighting had just started. Aikios hung back from the main fighting, internally fuming that some of his men hadn't waited for his signal and had just attacked. His eyes searched for Nik. There he was. Sword in hand, Aikios crept behind him and swung, but missed, his sword glancing off of a metal pulley with a loud clang.

Kkärsvig had also made it on deck. When the howls sounded from below and the fighting started, Kkärsvig swore and ran for the hatch, knocking a mutineer overboard with his skillet on the way to the hatch.
"I'm right behind you," Kkärsvig yelled to Fletch just to let him know there wasn't a hostile pirate following him.

Much of the crew followed Nik's orders, viciously fighting the mutineers, who were slightly losing ground but still fighting. A few indecisive pirates nervously hung back, swords drawn, but unsure of what side to take.

Nightcrawler

Fletch didn't need to be told twice. Well — he didn't need to be told at all, really. His job was to stay alive, and that meant keeping Elara breathing, too. He wanted nothing to do with this mess on deck. Nik was capable enough, anyways. The man could handle it. He dashed for the hatch, gripping the shortsword and swinging it with a distinct lack of finesse at anyone who came for him. "How does anyone use these things?" he complained as he narrowly blocked a mutineer from taking his nose off. He aimed a kick and sent the woman tumbling back down the stairs. "Come on, big man, let's move!" he called to Kkärsvig before disappearing below deck.

It was quiet down here — almost deafeningly so. The fighting manifested in distant cries and thumps against the deck above them, but as they delved further into the bowels of the ship, that cacophony grew fainter and fainter until nothing could be heard but the creaks and groans of the hull. The back of his neck prickled. Quiet meant that the fighting in sick bay was done. It meant that either the remaining mutineers were dead...or Elara and Fenris were. "Shit," he muttered, and sped up the pace.

The scene that met them was a gruesome one. Horse man's blood was everywhere. Two more mutineers lay dead in it, and...Fenris, too. "Shit. Fuck," Fletcher breathed as he strode towards Elara and pressed his fingers to her neck. There was a pulse, but it was faint. Still, she breathed, and he released a heavy sigh of relief. "Right. Next." He approached the monstrous form of what used to be Dog Lady and knelt next to her. Two stab wounds leaked blood near where he assumed her kidneys were. Was that it? Were there more? She was massive like this. He'd never be able to check on his own. "Hey. Mr. Frying Pan. Help me turn her over. See if she's alive."

Goldie

In an instant the deck turned from a situation that was heading towards peaceful resolution to one of chaos and death. They were all pirates so they all knew how to fight and were good at it, but they were also caught by surprise just as much as Elara and that elf had been earlier. Thank the Gods that most of the people on deck decided to side with Nik, if only because they liked him and not Elara, but that was a situation he would deal with later. He didn't have time to think about what her death would mean or what her living would mean either. Too much to worry about. Too much to deal with.

For now he just needed to stay alive.

And he had given his sword to Fletcher.

Gods Dammit. Fuck all!

It took some time for the swarm to reach him, but when they did they were thankfully far outnumbered as only a handful it seemed remained purely loyal to Aikios. And hell, maybe they had come on board at his discretion with the sole purpose of mutiny. He wouldn't put anything past the horse anymore. Nik had been duped. He had truly thought that the guy was upstanding and whatnot.

Serves him right. He had never been a good judge of character.

Then they were through. Just one, it seemed, but she was making a straight line for Nik.

Fuck.

This was it.

He never did like fighting, which actually served him quite well now. Instead of relying on blades and blood, he dodged an dodged well. The woman took a swipe towards his face and he was gone before the blade even came close. Then she saw him to her left and lunged, but again, he was gone like smoke. People never knew what to do with this kind of altercation. They expected to be met head on, but Nik liked to keep them confused – disoriented.

So he kept moving. Left, then right, then a quick duck onto the ground. Then he was behind her and had managed to pilfer two daggers from her belt where they sat forgotten while she held her sword. Then her belt was sliced in two before she realized what was happening and, like a bad short story, she became distracted by her now-too-loose pants. Nik was able to pressure her then, continuing to dodge, until they were at the edge of the ship and he threw her into the ocean.

Good.

That was over.

Now for the others.

He turned and his eyes were instantly met by Aikios who was making his way straight towards him.

wandering_giraffe

Kkärsvig's eyes went wide as he saw the carnage in medical.
Kkärsvig muttered something in the language of his people before rushing over to Elara, trying not to panic. He had left her here. He had abandoned her. His breathing quickened before he got ahold of himself, seeing Fletcher put a hand to Elara's neck, seemingly searching for a pulse.
"Oh gods...she's dead isn't she..." and then his eyes landed on Fenris. Fletch was a step ahead of him, and was already telling him to help him turn her over.
He dropped to his knees beside Fletcher and set his frying pan down that he was still holding.
"Aye, I can help," his voice was tinged with sadness. He cared for Elara...he saw her as a daughter.

He helped Fletcher turn Fenris onto her back.

"Erm...I don't know much about medicine...but she don't look good..."

Fenris was still in her shifted form. Fenris's chest wasn't moving at all, and her eyes were frozen open, staring blankly at nothing. Blood leaked from her mouth. Her pupils however, had changed into eclipses, a strange light emitting from behind her pupils, giving her eyes a sort of ringed light effect.
Kkärsvig looked around.
In the chaos, the map that Elara had been so obsessed with had landed on the ground, and despite being soaked in blood, had the same eclipse on it, and was slightly glowing. Just enough to look unnatural.
——————————————————

The fighting on deck had stopped. Much of the ship deck was stained red.

Aikios meanwhile, had spotted Nik and made a beeline for him, murderous intent in his eyes.
"Oh Nik...Elara I always knew was a fool but you?" Aikios laughed. A cruel, taunting laugh.
"You I thought would figure it out. You seemed like a smart one but what can I say?" Aikios shrugged.
"Birds of a feather I guess," and then he lunged at Nik, intent on ending his life.