Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A meeting long past due [P] (Kythe)

Started by Anonymous, January 07, 2007, 01:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Night had descended upon this world.  The moon was high in the sky, blocking out many of the tiny pin points of light that were known as stars to those who stared up at them.  But with the lights of this town only the brights of those distant lights shown through the blackness of the sky.  The single moon glared down at the town, that despite the lateness of the night had yet to shut down.  Men and women still walked about buy goods from vendors who found that the customers of the evenings were just as good as those who walked during the lighter hours.  Thieves slunk around the dark alleys happily eye the more wealthy of the night's visitors.  Pol was not in the mood to protect anyone, but he flashed his dagger so that the moon and street lights glinted off the good steel when ever he saw a man or woman eying a wealthy citizen.  After a couple months of wandering around Adela the half wolf had begun to make a small name for himself, as a man who would defend others and kept people safe.  The fact that people often rewarded the half wolf for doing deeds he'd have done anyways was just a plus.

His golden eyes adjusted quickly to the low light of the night.  It was strange how men and women of this town, Ketra as it was called, did not seem to sleep.  The night had it's own variety of businesses and patrons.  There of course was the brothel, just barely inside of town, for lonely men with money.  Of course, not all lonely men had a lot of money, but there women for them too.  A howl of fained ecstasy echoed out of a dark walk way as if to prove the point that he had brought up in his mind.

Pol was not the kind of man who wished to pay for the company of women, he was not here for anything like that.  He'd spent many weeks out side in the Draconi forest, keeping people from getting lost, and just living in a world that was at least a little similar to the one he'd come from.  Forests were all very similar, but each distinct, and while Draconi was not the Eastern where he'd been born it was close enough.

But today, he needed a drink.  For two months, since the first moment he'd woken up in that forest, he'd searched for Kythe.  And for two months he'd not heard a single word of the woman's existence.  No one seemed to know anything about the Minadrias woman who had saved his life. If two months of fruitless searching did not call for a tall pint of ale, the Ranger did not know what did.  As he walked into the tavern, a few familiar faces greeted him.  This place, this Adela, was his home now, he'd come to accept that.  He'd never again see DaeLuin, the place he'd realized he'd come from.  He had family there, he knew that much, but for the life of him he could not remember what their names were, or even their relation to him.  It was there, just out of grasp.  But every time he tried to reach out to it, it disappeared like a wisp of smoke on the wind.

Barkeep, an ale, and keep them coming until I say stop.

The man behind the bar had meet Pol shortly after he'd arrived in Adela, and the two had spoken often.  Yes, Mr. Silverheart.  Memory not doing any better eh?

Nope, I'd say it wasn't.  Any work of that woman I spoke of?  Kythe?  Have you heard of her?

Anonymous

A good couple of months had passed since her arrival, but despite the fact that it was a short time the woman had already started making a name for herself. She had given herself some time to adjust to this new world (not that she wasn't used to doing that anyway), keeping away from the towns until she felt she had the energy and tolerance to meet large crowds of people. When she finally ventured to the towns she soon got work, doing whatever was needed of her. It was not long before people learnt of her skills with a sword and began to become wary of angering the woman. She was mostly a mercenary, protecting caravans and the like for coin, other times she was bounty hunter or assassin, she wasn't picky it was work.

Night had fallen and once again she returned to the Tavern where she had rented a room while she worked as a guard for some shopkeeper currently having trouble with bandits. Eyes fell upon the woman but none dared try anything with her, despite the large coin pouch bouncing at her hip. Twice thieves had tried it, once a young man had tried it alone and found his hand lying upon the floor before he'd even realised she had noticed him and the second time she'd been ambushed by a group of five, ironically led by her one handed theif, only for the lot of them to be lying in the gutter groaning in pain with cuts across their chest. They lived but they dared not go near her again lest they bring about her wrath once more.

She chucked a silver coin to a vender as she took an apple from his stall, the man thanking her as the woman walked off, taking a large bite out of the juicy red fruit. She always kept one hand on the hilt of her Gaian blade, just in case some fool decided to start a fight with her, she doubted they would but she never under-estimated the stupidity and bravery of a desperate person.

Her emerald green eyes flickered onto the men clammering around the brothel that seemed to be Ketra's most precious possession and she snorted with disgust. What a revolting place. She was only thankful that she had enough talents to survive off so that she did not have to lower herself to working there. Her jobs allowed her a lot of freedom and meant she travelled around, giving her the chance to ask around and search for her lost companion Pol. So far no one knew of him and so she just kept on looking and hoping.

Finally reaching the Tavern she opened the door and closed it behind her quietly, nodding to a couple of people who she had come to know since her time in Ketra. She had never given them her real name, calling herself Shadow for now because it was easier and that was what she had become. Blind to everything around her she undid her scabbard from her belt and set it on the bar before her as she sat down. She flicked a couple of gold coins on the table and waited for the barkeep to finish dealing with other customers.

"Sorry Mr. Silverheart, no one's heard of her, but I'll keep asking, 'scuse me I have to deal with the Lady here."

The barkeep nodded to the man and came over to where Kythe was sitting, her head upon her hand, her elbow resting on the bar.

"Usual Miss Shadow? You look tired today my Lady, any luck finding your friend?"

Kythe nodded and snorted at the next question.

"No. But I won't give up."

Anonymous

Pol had never been what one might call a rich man, even back when he'd been Guardian of Earth.  Unlike the others of the conclave the Ranger's home was simple and crafted not of wood and brick, there were no elaborate halls or dinning rooms.  No his home had been simple, and crafted out of his very element, he'd not payed a copper coin for it.  But it had been his home, it had been perfect, and every day he spent in this world he remembered it more and more, and missed it more and more.  Those first few weeks had been agony, starting with the headache.

He had assumed it was because of the jump, that perhaps he had fallen afterwards and hit his head.  But as days went on, the pain did not subside, instead it slowly got progressively worse, to the point where even lifting a finger to point caused literally blinding pain to rocket through his body.  He had begged for death in his sleep, his body forcing him to lose consciousness to stay alive despite the immense pain.  For a week he slept, his body going into convolutions as he did.  And as he lay on the bed of a kindly old woman, he dreamed, dreamed of the reason behind his agony.  The World Tree, the overall lord of DaeLuin chooser of Gods, had decided that a Guardian of Earth that was not of its world could not be a Guardian any longer.  It took back the powers it had bestowed upon the half wolf.

But after a century of use, his body and his mind did not to give up the power and the Guardian struggled against the World Tree, trying to keep its powers.  It was to no avail, the Tree was more powerful then the entire conclave when it wanted to be, and Pol was stripped of his powers, he was a Guardian no more.  After that he thanked the elderly woman, and left for the woods.  From time to time he checks in on her, but rarely speaks with her, too many bad memories there.  He'd done the occasional odd job for the city folk, but someone named Shadow (Why was that name so familiar?) seemed to be their preferred choice, so more often then not he hunted and foraged for his meal.  It was not bad, and he even enjoyed it.  But living the forest did not give him as much of a chance to search for Kythe as he would have liked.

Reaching into his pocket he only had enough spare coin for a couple mugs of ale, not enough to get a man of his size more then a slight buzz.  But it would have to be enough, he couldn't spare any more, it was too rare to him these days.  As he slid a fist full of bronze, and one silver, coins across the table the barkeep said to him Sorry Mr. Silverheart, no one's heard of her, but I'll keep asking, 'scuse me I have to deal with the Lady here.  Pol mumbled his disappointment before taking a large gulp of ale.  He'd not spoken his first name to anyone since arriving, going only by the name Mr. Silverheart.  What use was a name such as Pol anyways?  He knew it wasn't his birth name, though he must have it for a reason, but one he could not remember.

Usual Miss Shadow? You look tired today my Lady, any luck finding your friend?  The barkeep asked the woman just to Pol's left.  So the famous Shadow was here.  Why did he know that na-

It all came back to him in a flash.  Two women were outside of his guild hall, one was Kythe the other...the other was like her.  He and the God of Light met them.  But only, only Kythe was calling herself Shadow!

Pol leapt to his feet, knocking the stool he'd been sitting on over as he did.  He half ran over to the woman who was only a couple feet away from his.  There she was, her dark wings pressed against her back, her soft elven features, and the dragon tattoo/birthmark that covered half her face.  After two months of endless searching, here she was in a tavern with him.

Kythe?!  By all the Gods is that really you?!  You have no idea how long I've been searching for you!  He restrained himself as he felt the urge to rush forward and huge her tightly.  For all he knew she had suffered worse memory loss then he had.  Perhaps she did not know him any longer, in which case a hug would be entirely shocking to her.  The smile slowly faded from his face as the thoughts took hold in his mind.  He did not know what he'd do if she no longer remembered him, two months of searching and she was the one thing his mind had seen clearly.  She had to remember him.

Anonymous

Sighing she rubbed her face with her hands and yawned slightly. It had been a long day, the bandits had decided to give her some trouble down at the warehouse when she'd gone to fetch some supplies for the shopkeeper. Ten bloody bandits against her, thankfully her wounds she'd received from the fight in DaeLuin had healed, but her wounded heart and her temper had not. She had to be thankful for their appalling lack of skills with a sword, because it meant she didn't have to exert much effort nor actually kill anything.

Stretching out her wings as she lifted her arms above her head she yawned again, sighing with relief and satisfaction as he back and shoulders clicked, releasing the cramp and pain causing her to slump over. By the Gods was she getting sick of playing skivvy again, the shopkeeper was taking advantage of her good nature and need of coin and had started using her as his own personal slave.

Thinking on that her hand automatically ran over the branded mark of a dagger entwined with a snake on her right inner arm by the elbow, a mark of her days as a slave a very long time ago. She knew the doddering old man had spotted the mark and it seemed as though he had decided to take full advantage of that. Hissing at the mark she took the cup the barkeep brought to her gratefully, breathing in deeply as the steam carried the drinks sweet fumes to her nostrils. Not a big drinker Kythe had always stuck to non-alcoholic drinks after losing an old friend to it, she did miss him. Staying away from alcohol as she did she had resigned herself to drinking spiced hot juices, and was happy with it too.

As she took a couple of sips of the rejuvenating red liquid she absentmindedly played with the rings on her left hand, her engagement ring and wedding ring. How she missed Lucivar, she could see her beloved husband stalking his halls in tears, collapsing upon their bed and weeping as he prayed for her to come home. He would pace some more before cursing the moon and collapsing to the floor in the entrance hall of their Sanctuary from sheer exhaustion. It was not the servants that went to his aid to take him to bed as she expected but was in fact her Blood Brother and co-leader Tsukasa the picked up the man and placed him in bed, a forlorn pained look upon the God of Light's face...

Kythe knew well enough that this image was not her imagination but was in fact a true premonition of events to come or that had already happened, she was unsure as she did not know the time differences between the two worlds. Rubbing her face once more she stopped playing with the rings, feeling it best not to dwell on such things when she couldn't currently find Pol, her last connection to the life she had been forced to leave behind. It was her fault that he was here, had she never woken him to walk with her that morning it would only have been her that had been lost to DaeLuin and to her family and not Pol as well. She could never forgive herself for the mistake and she doubted he would, not with a wife and daughter on the other side.

Slamming her fist upon the table in her anger she drank the rest of the drink in one large gulp, ignoring the stinging pain from the heat. Her eyes watered with a mixture of tears and pain from the burning in her throat but she was soon distracted by that when someone called to her by her own name. Noone in this entire world knew her by name except...

"Pol!"

Launching herself to her feet she knocked over her stool in her haste to touch him and make sure that she was not dreaming. Throwing herself at him she embraced him tightly, hugging him to her body as she wept happily, thankful that he was safe and back in her arms once more.

"Oh Pol I'm so sorry, this whole damned mess is my fault!"

Anonymous

Had the former Guardian of Earth not been so preoccupied with this current turn of events, he might have noticed that the entire tavern had turned to stare at the two embracing in warm familiarity.  But even had he not be distracted by the great bear hug Kythe was giving him, he would not have cared.  So the entire tavern knew one or the other, or perhaps both, by different names then they'd called out to each other.  Or the fact that the pair who were now hugging each other so fiercely, each with tears streaming down their eyes unhindered, had both thrown up cold, hard, powerful versions of themselves to those who watched around them.  None of it matter, not in the slightest, because Pol had found her, and she had found him.  In this world that he was still not so familiar with, he now had a rock to anchor himself to, a friend he knew that he could depend on, someone to watch over him as he would watch over her.

Kythe... the word slipped out of the half wolf's mouth between gasp for breath, he'd not been so excited in.... well he literally couldn't remember the last time he'd been so excited.  His heart pounded in his chest, threatening to burst out at any moment.  The tears of joy had stopped flowing, and Pol reached up to wipe away the remains on his sleeve.  A smile spread across his face, the first true smile he'd sported since before waking up in that forest two months ago.

Barkeep!  Cancel my ale!  This is a time for something better, the finest wine you have!  And what ever Shadow wants!  Pol added the last after a few seconds.  As he had been ordering his wine, a memory of Kythe refusing alcohol sprung up in his head.  He turned to her and gave her another squeeze.  It was good to know her memory wasn't worse then his at the very least, of course there was still the chance she did not remember much of Before, same as him.  But she knew his name, and that was all that mattered at the moment.

Kythe no!  It was not all your fault, you saved my life, I can remember that much clearly...if little else.  The end of his sentence was mumbled into a glass of wine the barkeep had placed in his hand, though he was sure that Kythe's ears would pick it up.  But just in case they did not, he cast his golden eyes towards her and said, Um...Kythe, how...how has your memory been since the jump?  You, you see, mine's been less then great.  I remember you clearly, but everything else is just fragments.  I can't hold on to anything.  They come to me, sometimes, when I dream, but in the morning I have nothing but memories of memories.

Taking a deep breath, Pol's eyes went to the ground.  There was one question on his mind that he yearned to have answered, but feared at the same time.  Kythe...was I married Before?  When I awoke, there was no ring on my finger, but I felt as though it was missing.  And some of my dreams, they have to do with a tiger I loved.  But, by all the Gods!, I can't remember her face or name, or...or our daughter.  A part of the wolf wanted to hear that he had not been married, that he had been single Before.  Then it would all be a figment of his imagination, and he would not have to weep for the woman he loved and would never see again.

He shook his head, his black hair longer now then it had been before.  This was supposed to be a joyous occasion, the day when they met up again, but he had turned it into something far darker.  Perhaps, we should forget it.  This is a good day, no need to turn it into a dark one.  Come, Shadow, lets sit and drink.  You're name is well known around here, kept me from working in the towns where I might get information about you.  More then a couple people here have great respect for you already, and in just two months.  You always were a great woman.  Pol smiled, not as broadly or as easily as before, but real none the less.

Anonymous

Kythe held him tightly, wishing to just remain like that for all eternity as it gave her hope. Since coming to his world she had wandered aimlessly, trying to find her darling Pol while trying to hold back the waves of grief at losing those she loved so dearly. This moment of weakness was a rare one for Pol would know as well as any who were close to her would, that she was hard of heart in that sense and had never showed weakness to anyone if she could help it, but now as her body trembled from the relief at having found him again she allowed her hard barriers to drop and showing her true grief. It was like back in DaeLuin when she had stumbled into Sanctuary and to Lucivar, before knowing him, it was thanks to that moment of weakness and anguish that she had married the God of Love, but yet again she had lost her lover and was very much alone.

She held him at arms length and smiled back at him, all the endless searching was over, now she knew where to find him. She knew as well as he would that once this meeting was over they'd go their seperate ways to their new lives, but would as always return to each other, but without leaving it as long as they had this time. Smiling she chuckled and nodded, hugging him back once more as they sat down. She bent to pick up her stool, sitting beside him and taking the hot juice from the barkeep as he brought her a fresh cup. Looking down she watched as a last mournful tear dropped from the end of her nose into her glass, sending ripples across the calm surface of the red liquid that looked ironically like blood.

"It was Pol. If I had not woken you that morning to go for a walk you would still be home with your family and I with mine. I may have saved your life my darling but I cannot take you back and I have stranded you here in this new world, stripping you of the powers you so dearly deserved and for that I am sorry."

She sighed and took a sip from her glass, scowling at his words before shaking her head. She wondered if it was an after effect of who he was, Kythe's whole being was born with the instinct to cope with a Jump but maybe Pol's body had reacted badly, not being able to access such an ability.

"No Pol, but then again I've Jumped before and you haven't, it may wear off soon. If not I can tell you any missing bits."

What he said next however terrified her beyond belief and the sudden wave of nausea that hit her made her want to be violently sick. Oh by the Gods what had she done? Her poor love had forgotten his family but could still feel them. Kythe felt revolted at herself for it, she remembered how that felt, but at least she had remembered NOTHING, it had just felt familiar.

"Oh Pol I'm sorry. This is all my fault, I never thought it would affect you like this. Yes, yes my dearest Pol you were married. Her name was Rhosyn, or Rose as we called her. She was under my protection and she could shift as you can, but into a tiger. Ireland is my God daughter and your child, Pol I'm so sorry... I've taken you away from them all..."

And I've taken myself away from everyone that meant anything to me other than Pol... I have to be thankful for that at least, but I'll forever have to live with my guilt at having dragged him away from his wife and child... I've messed this up so badly...

She could cope with the Jump and the consequences herself, but this new factor would prey upon her mind for all eternity, Immortal as she was once more. Tears filled her eyes as she kept her gaze fixed upon her cup. How many more times would she have to leave behind those she cared about before the worlds would let her settle? She nodded and gave him a teary smile, reaching out and squeezing his hand gently.

"Sorry, but I kept to the newer name for the sake of the person I had to become to survive. Kythe is a noble name now, but Shadow suits the jobs I take on. You're as bad MR.Silverheart, though I never heard that name mentioned, only got that new Lycan and knew in my heart it had to be you, always one step ahead of me though my lad."

She laughed and pounded the table with her fist shaking her head.

"Respect? Great woman? Come now my lad you know better than that! I strike fear into their hearts and they dare not take me on, that's all."

Anonymous

He saw the pain, shock, and perhaps even a hint of revulsion in her face as his question filled the empty space between them.  There was nothing for it now, it was out there, no taking it back, and even changing the subject was out of the question.  But with every ounce of his being he regretted it, especially now that he knew she blamed herself for their Jump.  What could he do?  He needed to convince her that this was not her fault, that it was something that happened and could have happened a lot worse then it had.  But how?  She was more stubborn then a tired ox when she wanted to be.

Though, Pol was a wolf, and even an ox moved when the wolves were nipping at its heels.  He had to bring her out of this, for both their sakes, then needed each other now more then every before.  And if the impression he got from his fragmented memory was true, they'd needed each other a lot before the Jump.  Taking in a mouth full of the sweet elvish wine, Pol looked at his long lost companion. He felt her squeeze his hand, and quickly squeezed it in return, as she now needed comfort as much as he did.  Perhaps in a way, more then he did.

Kythe listen to me.  What happened, happened.  It could not have been helped.  Had you not woken me that morning I would have went to you and woken you.  And if you had not forced us to Jump I would not be alive now, and my family would still be with out me.  Kythe, you saved my life, you know it.  No one will miss my family more then me, though I still do not have a clear picture of them.  I will mourn them, but we must go on or we won't survive here.  Don't blame yourself for what could not have been helped.  Kythe, I need you now more then ever.  I'm sure I will remember them in time, I know I will.  You've not taken my memories, the jump just clouded my mind, not you.  For all we know it could have been a fall that did it.

Pol downed another gulp of his wine as if it were water.  He was beginning to wish for ale again, but he made no move to order more.  He knew their names now, their faces and voices would come in time, but for now he was happy with their names.  Kythe had done him a great service just now, though it was painful.  They would be the keys to remembering his old life, but once again a part of him did not wish to.  He could not go back, this was his home now, what use was a memory of a life he could not return to?

But let us not speak of such things any longer.  I may be stranded here as you say, but I am no longer alone.  It is good to have you with me, Kythe.  But as for my name, well perhaps Pol is something of a noble name as well.  Besides, I know it was not my birth name, Silverheart was.  I used it as my last name, for Ireland.  So I figured what better name to take for this new life then Silverheart.  The locals added the MR.  Apparently they felt it was too strange to be anything other then a last name.

Word reached me of you, though I did not know it was you at the time, you're a bounty hunter now?  I've been meaning to try my had at that.  I don't know the forest well enough to be a suitable guide, and most people here travel with guards or bounty hunters and so are not in need of a Ranger to protect them.
 Pol chuckled softly as an idea came to his head.  Perhaps we could work together, Shadow and Mr. Silverheart, bounty hunters.  It has a ring to it.  You were probably the best swordswoman in DaeLuin, and I'm sure it is not so different here, and I can track a bug through a sand storm.  He smiled, taking another sip at his wine.  The proposal had come out as a joke at first, but as he spoke it the idea seemed to agree with him.  This place, this world was not suited to Rangers like himself.  Nothing wrong with bringing outlaws to justice.

Anonymous

Kythe knew she was stubborn, she knew deep down in her heart she should not be feeling guilty, hell had she not Jumped with him then they would both have ended up dead and that would have been worse for both their families, finding them washed up upon the shore dead. But that did not stop her feeling sick at the whole situation. She knew what it was like to leave everything behind and start again, it had been easy when she was alone, but with someone else there? And someone she had brought with her that could remind her of the past? No she would never forget nor forgive herself for this one.

She smiled as he squeezed her hand back, she unlocked her hand from his and looked at the rings upon her finger, they had both lost a lot, but she was used to this and she would cope. Hell she had someone along for the ride this time, at least she wasn't totally alone this time round. She looked at him and nodded.

"I'm used to the Jump, I'm used to the consequences and the pain it brings at leaving your life behind, you my dearest Pol are not and that pains me greatly. And have no fear my love I'm not going anywhere, unless Fate calls me on of course."

She said with a wink. She drained her cup and flicked five gold coins onto the bar in front of her, as the barkeep came to take their cups from them she caught his hand.

"An ale for him and your FINEST Elvish Wine for me, none of the crap you sell this lot, I'm nobility and used to fine tastes you hear?"

She said with a smile. The man smiled back and chuckled as he went off. Today was a good day and worth the risk of taking some wine. She looked at her rings again and slid them from her finger. It was almost painful to do so, but Lucivar was not here now and her promise to never take them off was useless, she could not go home. Holding the rings tightly in her hand she closed her eyes and swallowed the grief welling up in her heart. Taking her necklace out from her shirt she undid it and slid the rings onto the chain before tucking it back in her shirt, she would never lose them that way. She chuckled and raised an eyebrow nodding at his words.

"Silver would have been a better first name lad, Silverheart is not a human first name but as you said a second name. As to being a bounty hunter I was that a long time before I became the Leader you followed in DaeLuin my boy. Do what you can to survive, that's how I lived. After my race died I offered my talents to the world for coin as I do now, whatever it is I'll take it so long as it pays."

At the idea he offered she laughed and took up her wine glass lifting it high.

"Alright lad! To a new life as Mr Silverheart and Shadow, the two best bloody bounty hunters this god forsaken world will ever see!"

And with that she took a sip of her wine.

Anonymous

Silverheart's eyes gazed down at his hand which clasped the glass of elven wine.  He could still see the faint tan line where his wedding ring had been.  The fact that Kythe still had hers told him one thing, the lost it post-Jump, and in his heart that angered him to his deepest core.  How long he'd been unconscious was something he'd probably never know, but it was obviously long enough for someone to come and take it from his finger.  And while he did not remember his beloved wife, he knew she was just that, beloved.  A sharp pain swept through his heart as he realized that with his memory gone, he only knew he had loved Rhosyn, and no longer actually did.

Well I'm glad that you are here with me Kythe, or should I say Shadow?  And I hope that your Father should never call you away, I'd not want to be stuck here on my own!  Misery loves company and all that, hun.  Pol laughed as he clasped his good friend, draining his glass as she drained hers.  I was good to no longer be alone.  This world was not meant for people of his kind, and it seemed as though the only way to survive was to adapt.  He would be a Ranger no longer, a man had to eat and live, and one needed money to do that.  From what he had heard among the locals, there were a few ways to do that.  You could be a noble and born to it, a thief, a very successful business man, or a bounty hunter.  Pol would never become a thief or businessman, and a noble was out of the question.  That left bounty hunter.  It would allow him to hunt down criminals as he would have as a ranger, but more suited for this world.

Ale?!  Kythe, come now!  Ale is what a man drinks when he is depressed.  Give me what she's drinking, my friend.  She may be nobility in her home, but I was an immortal!  It was good to jest again, especially when he was beginning to remember his former champion's disdain for the immortal kind.  But the smile that had spread across his face, and the laugh that was sounding from his mouth quickly faded as his companion's eyes turned to her own hands.  The handfasting ring and and wedding ring.  Faintly he realized that the woman besides him had been married as well Before.  But to whom?  

As she added the rings to her necklace, Pol rose and embraced the only person he was close with in this place.  He reached out to her mind, his eyes locking on her own.  I'm sorry Kythe, I've been selfish.  I was not the only one to lose family with that Jump.  I should have been paying more attention, if I had not taken that arrow in my shoulder, neither of us would have been in this mess.  

Hoping to break the mood they'd just reentered, Pol quickly moved the conversation onward.  Aye, Silver would have been a better first name, but it is not the one that my mother and father gave me.  Mr. Silverheart works well enough I suppose though.  Besides Pol was my name as a Ranger, back in DaeLuin, and I get the impression that he would not be so happy with me becoming a bounty hunter.

But you know this is a new world, a new life, it deserves a new name.  I shall miss the world we left behind, and the family.  But aye, yet us toast to the lives of Mr. Silverheart and Shadow!  May they start in a tavern and end in their beds!  From this day forth, Pol Silverheart Guardian of Earth is no more, and Mr. Silverheart is here to stay.
 Pol rose his glass, in his mind he would always be Pol and she would always be Kythe but only in his mind, and knocked it against Kythe's as she raised hers.  Taking a long sip of the delicious wine, he couldn't help but smile.

Despite all the loss they'd both gone through, there was something wonderful about starting a new life, especially when you had a good friend to start over with.

Anonymous

A bounty hunter... again. Again she had turned to her darker talents to survive, at least in DaeLuin she could live an honest life without having to kill someone or bring someone in to pay for her food. At least she wasn't an assassin, at the minute at least, killing needlessly with no reason, at least as a Hunter she was given good reason and given the option to refuse a job. She took another sip of the sweet wine, conscious of the effect of the alcohol, she must keep her dignity and not get drunk.

"It's good to have company this time, it was always miserable Jumping on my own. Every blasted world was the same, just as lonely and unforgiving as the last, none of my kin to turn to. At least now I have someone I trust by my side."

She gave him a soft smile. It had always been hard, and always would be, but she could cope with it and she would as she always had done. She laughed as he refused the ale, saying that he was an Immortal. Chuckling she shook her head.

"Aye, as was I lad. Guardian you may have been but if I remember rightly you, Tsukasa and Nifftin never did manage to best me with a sword mortal as I was, and don't you forget it."

She'd never lost in a fight unless she knew she had to. Only Darthin had ever had an advantage and even then that was only with Fate behind him guiding his blade. As he embraced her she closed her eyes and let her head rest against his shoulder.

You need not apologise any more than I should my darling. Lucivar is safe as are the others, he will get over his loss as I will my own. I do not blame you, had you not been there then I would have gone alone, it was my day to go, I knew it would have to come some day.

"Aye, you're Silverheart now as you were when you were born, Pol only to me. Our families shall move on as we shall too, hard though it will be we shall make it. This is a new adventure for us lad, and one that we shall come out on top of!"

They would at that. Together they could make this work, together they would survive. And who knew what the future held for them?