Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Short Respite (LunchboxSG)

Started by Anonymous, June 11, 2007, 03:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Almost home, Vyatrixe thought as she made her way along one of the many beaches that lined the shores of the Tuor ocean. She wondered how La’marri had changed since she’d left it; she had not been home in a very long time.

The water was a captivating blue, and it lazily lapped the sandy shore with soft taps as if there was all the time in the world and no need to rush the coming of the tide. The waves did not crash on the shore- they gently tapped it- and there was no stark white seafoam. A crippled child could probably have swam safely there. It was like an idyllic version of the sea, too peaceful to be real. The sun was setting, its golden yellow rays darkening to a deep bronzy orange. Less than half of its fiery disk could still be seen above the watery horizon line. A few of the brighter stars could already be seen, and the moon was beginning to poke through at the opposite end of the sky from the sun.

It was common for Vya to wear white, even when traveling. Her dress was long and its flowing grace emphasized her own eloquent stride. She was not truly aware of the fact that she was poetry in motion. It was the dazzling white of freshly fallen snow, long-sleeved and cut in a conservative yet dignified style. Her feet were in white sandals and she had put her long black hair in a single braid that went all the way down her back.

She approached the water and stood at the edge where the waves met the shoreline, just far enough away not to get wet, and her eyes roamed the horizon as she began her silent evening prayers.

Sweet Kaea, goddess of benevolence, thank you for this beautiful day that is now coming to a close...

She had spent most of the day walking, but had stopped on three occassions to help a mother find her lost child, heal a traveler who’d broken his leg falling off his horse, and chat with an elderly lonely woman.

… And for the tranquil night about to begin.

She was looking forward to finding a place to stop and rest soon, before setting off again and hopefully reaching La’marri by early morning. She would be glad to see her older sister, the head priestess of Kaea, again.

I pray that you will watch over the orphans, the sick, the weak and the troubled people of this world…

It was Vya’s belief that her goddess had a special place in her heart for such people, and she found herself more inclined to approach them and offer her help than people who seemed better off.

… And soften the hearts of the tyrants, the lawless and the cruel, that the innocent may be protected from harm.

The tide had advanced, so she took a step back to stay dry. It was almost completely dark now.

Prepare us for the Ending Days, Goddess…

Although most of the time Vya felt that all was right with the world, she could clearly remember the voice of her best friend and fellow Bona Dei priestess Rosalinde as she had suggested that perhaps the prophesied Final Era was drawing near even as they spoke, and the possibility gnawed at the back of her mind. It was important to be ready to accept whatever might come, now more so than ever.

… And uphold your promise to continue the cycle, that life on earth may be preserved eternally…

… Seda sen zolo civoro, sei kannu kiela ven benadietu.

She turned and her eyes scanned the beach in search of the footprints she had left earlier, for she knew that just across the sand from the last of her footprints lay the path that would lead her through the Niahi woods and toward home.

Anonymous

Caenithe-Kahjhin had traveled far, and his legs were sore from walking like the human creatures.  If only he could fly, like his ancestors had once been able to do, he wouldn't be bound to wander like this.
He hoped to find the mountains again, soon, so at the very least he'd be able to climb--he was much better at that than walking.
If only that spirit hadn't lured him out here, promising him a good, juicy cricket... Such lies!  Why was no one honest with him? (This was all a hallucination, of course, but poor Cae doesn't know that.)

He had taken many of the silver earrings from his large, pointed ears, as the heat made them uncomfortable against his skin.  The heat--the accursed heat, nothing like the pleasant chill of his old mountain home--would be mildly bearable if he hadn't his thick winter coat, not to mention his fur was black!  He was tempted to remove the loincloth, in a feeble attempt to cool himself, but he all too often found himself in the company of others and didn't want to be deemed as one of bad manners.  With a sigh, he thanked mother moon--Yuimau'ue--for the cool shadow of night that she provided.

After a few more awkward hop-steps, the sound of water reached him, and with renewed vigor he headed towards the sound. Yuimau'ue also reigned over the waters of the earth, and it would be most wonderful to offer up his song while near the water.

He lightly fingered the smooth wooden pan flute that hung from his neck and checked Yuimau'ue's location in the night sky.  Such beautiful stars, he thought to himself, something of a smile stretching across his face.

As he neared the softly lapping water of the ocean, he noticed a girl, clad in white, standing nearby.  He let loose a few rapid clicks, and when the image returned, he could see no obvious weapons, and this made him very happy.  He smiled as best as he could and lumbered forward, landing with light feet by her side.  Kahjhin touched his right hand to the sand for balance and glanced down at her.  He was a little shaky with human speech, but he had picked up some during his time wandering.
"I am Caenithe-Kahjhin, of no clan," he said, by way of formal Mauer'tah introduction, "Would you be telling the spirit it has to be going away now? It perhaps will listen to you.  It is not kind to me; it is a liar."
He nodded to the spirit (hallucination...) that was 'floating' near Vyatrixe's shoulder.

He smiled in his stupid, contented way and waited for a reply.  Perhaps she would like to join him in the song-giving ritual tonight! That would be nice, as he had worshipped by himself for quite some time.  To his dismay, he hadn't participated in a proper fullmoon ceremony in over a year, as he was exiled and forbidden to make contact with any of the Mauer'tah high priests.  He did offer sacrifices, though... but that was not enough, he didn't think.

Anonymous

Nope, no weapons on her. There wasn’t much to see about her except for the obvious- adult female, black hair, blue eyes, pretty face, friendly smile. As a Bonna Dei priestess she was forbidden to carry a weapon, and further forbidden to harm any living creature without need. When it came to fighting, she was absolutely useless- but it wasn’t a skill she’d ever really need, considering she could shield herself from most physical and magic attacks.

She heard clumsy footsteps before Caenithe came into view, and noted with some surprise that he immediately approached her and introduced himself. A strange looking creature he was, at least to a human, but she was more used to talking with non-humans than most. Covered in black fur, wearing what appeared to be a leather loincloth, and had huge ears. He had a bit of silver jewelry on and she noticed holes in his ear where he probably wore more earrings most of the time. The shape of his face was somewhat- foxlike? Doglike? Some kind of bat creature?- but the first thing she noticed was that he was really, really, really tall.

Vya turned her head in the direction he was nodding, but of course she could see nothing there. No matter, some people could see things that others could not. Psychic people saw ghosts, right? On the other hand, if there were actually a spirit she probably would feel its presence, and there was always the possibility that he was… well… not right in the head. But… surely it couldn’t hurt to just tell whatever spirit might- or might not- be there to go away? Even if he was just seeing things, it wouldn’t harm anyone.

“Well, mister spirit, I do believe it’s time for you to be going now if there’s nothing I can do for you. It’s not nice to lie, you know, and personally I think you ought to stop it.�

She turned to back to Caenithe. “I am Vyatrixe Benedonna, a wandering mercy healer,� she introduced herself to him with a smile and an outstretched hand waiting to be shaken. “It’s a lovely evening, isn’t it? It’s going to be a very nice night.� There was, she saw, not a single cloud in the darkening sky, and the setting sun had been very red- how did the saying go? Red sky at night, sailors take flight? No. That made no sense. Red sky at night, sailors delight; red sky in morning, sailors take warning. Yeah. That had to be it. So that meant the weather would also be pleasant tomorrow, didn’t it? She hoped so. She did love mild weather.

Finally, her curiosity got the better of her. She smiled nervously in case her question turned out to be loaded. “Would it be alright of me to ask what lies this spirit has told you, and where the spirit came from, and what it wants from us?�

Anonymous

In Kahjhin's mind, the 'spirit' frowned, but turned and vanished into the distance.  The Mauer'tah smiled at this, and returned his attention to Vyatrixe.  "Thank you,"  he said trying his best to duplicate a more human accent.
He had problems with all the different tenses and ways to use words that most human languages had, not to mention the difficulty he had even making the correct sounds.

"The night is beautiful," Caenithe-Kahjhin agreed, again checking Yuimau'ue's position in her sky.  She had not yet ascended to her throne, as the sun was still setting, and he didn't need to pray just yet.

"The spirit was from home mine, and that is... that way.  (He pointed vaguely north, towards the Kilanthro mountains.)  Please be excusing my bad speech.  I not do practice much..."
He paused, making sense of the girl's question.
"Spirit has left, but it say it would give to me a good mountain-cricket.  I not-- have not ate one for a year and I want one very much.  It say it would show me to them, but there were not... any."
He scratched his head, struggling with the foreign language.
"You pray to Yuimau'ue?  I do not think so, because you are not Mauer'tah, but I was thinking I should ask."
Yes, that sounded right.  If it wasn't... well, he hoped she at least understood him.  It was one of his wishes that he could become fluent in all of earth's languages.  If he was sentenced to exile, he might as well be able to interact with other sentient beings.

Anonymous

‘You are welcome,� she replied. She didn’t mind his weird accent in the slightest, but she had to admit it did sound like it was difficult for him to use the Common tongue. She guessed that it must be because he didn’t have human vocal cords. That had to suck, especially with so many humans around and when even most non-human species that walked on two legs spoke the Common language.

She decided she’d take ‘home mine’ to mean ‘my home’, and looked in the direction he was pointing to see that it was somewhere to the north of here, presumably in the mountains.

“I have no problem with your speech,� she assured him. Really, she’d spoken to creatures with worse Common than that before. And if he didn’t get a chance to practice talking very often, then that was excusable. It wasn’t as if he were just being dumb or something. As he explained his conversation with the supposed spirit, she winced and gave him a wry smile. “Those pesky spirits,� she agreed, thinking of her younger brother who apparently could channel spirits and often got into trouble for it.

“I pray to whoever will listen,� she replied to his next question. “I have a goddess- her name is Kaea- and I have devoted my life to Her cause, but She is not a very jealous goddess and doesn’t mind me dabbling in other people’s faiths.� An open-minded and tolerant goddess, who respected most religions and simply ignored the ones that were too twisted to respect.

“Mauer’tah?� she repeated, not knowing what exactly the word meant. She looked again at his batlike face and asked, “Is that what you are?�

Anonymous

Um... if you're still around, it's your turn to post...