Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Y.our Pain is My P.ain

Started by Rhindeer, December 28, 2004, 04:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[MOVED POST! Authors: Blue the Traumatized and IrishMeadowsTown]

<font color=green>How was it, no matter how far off he went, no matter how much ground he covered, he always came back here? This damnable village had been a new fixture to his nightmares as of late. And why?

Because he had met her here...

Sikle, the sleek ebony cat with the aspects of a dragon, sat calmly on his shoulder. His leathery wings were folded, glittering amber orbs slowly surveying the scene. It brought back so many memories, and the two companions sat and shared them silently.
She is not here Serke...
Serke winced lightly, but nodded. Of course she wasn't...
His heavy black cloak covered the whole of his form, though as his head hung slightly against a sharp gust of wind, hair of emerald green could be seen for a brief moment.

Why do I always come back here? Why, when I know there is nothing to find? He questioned himself mercilessly, and they were always 'why's. But never could he find an answer within himself, so always he turned up here yet again.
Odd...he had never really realized he had cared so much, but he obviously had. He had also had the grace to figure out just how old he was. He had been 18 when he knew her, and was now 19. His form had changed little since then, for he was still tall and strong, though never bulky.

So, silently he stood on the ridge overlooking the peaceful village, letting his mind wander but his emotions were capped tightly. </font>

--

About a day's walk from the village, in a part of the forest where the sun could barely stream through the thick leaves, was a small cottage. Next to it sat an even smaller shed, and a huge granite boulder that was bigger than both put together sat behind them, forming their back walls.

A young woman, pale and slender, appeared at the open door of the cottage. Her hair, once long and silky, was cut short so that it formed a dark blue, ruffled aura around her head. The lapis stone set in the her forehead no longer shone with the luster it once had, its teardrop shape ironically expressing an emotion that her eyes no longer could. Those eyes, such a bright sapphire color, used to sparkle with life, but now were cold and hard.

Where was that dratted Embany? The centaur was never around when she needed him.

Just like him....

At the thought, her hand unconciously went to her neck, feeling for the necklace that no longer rested there.

She felt the familiar tightening of her throat, though she knew the tears wouldn't come. She had cried her last long ago. She didn't even think she was capable of crying anymore.

Why could she never push him out of her mind for good? No matter how hard she tried, the memories kept coming back. She longed to see his eyes again, dreamed of staring into them and never looking away....

In the village, a middle-aged woman walked the streets, doing her daily shopping. There was a fine silver necklace around her throat. The dark blue stones set in the silver caught the light, mimickiing the now-silent laughter of the young girl who used to own it...

--

<font color=green>As they surveyed, though Serke looked more at the ground than the town, Sikle had spotted something. With a sharp hiss, he lept from his master's shoulder and bounded away into the heart of the village.
Serke blinked, then followed at a calm trot. A growing hope that it might be her was crushed when Sikle instead stopped and began snarling viciously at a common lady.

Serke's sharp eye caught the reason for this, and without questioning Sikle's judgment, reached out swiftly and tore the necklace from about her neck. He then turned on his heel and stormed out of the village amidst shouts that he stop. Sikle hissed at them all and followed Serke as fast as he could on ground.

Serke clenched the necklace as tight as he possibly could until his fist stung and bled. He did not release it as he moved, allowing blood to trickle onto the earth below his feet. He walked aimlessly, anger boiling hot and red within him. It crushed his emotional barrier and exploded out into the world around him, and he did not care.
But then the the thing mutated into a horrid sorrow, and Serke collapsed to his knees and ceased movement.

Sikel came up to sit by his side, gently purring to comfort. But there was no comfort. Not for him. A year ago he had hoped to gain it, but he had wrenched it from his own grasp like the idiot he was.
"I am sorry..."</font>

--

The centaur trotted around from behind the boulder, carring something small and black in his cupped hands.

"Liannen," he said, with a touch of urgency, "Get the water boiling."

The young woman quickly ran back into the cottage. Embany was a skilled healer, using both natural techniques and magic. Ever since Liannen came to live with him, she had become his assistant of sorts, helping him to heal people, animals, and any other injured living thing that wandered into their part of the forest.

As Liannen released a heating spell on the cauldron hanging in the fireplace, Embany set down the tiny black bundle of fur he had been carrying on the table. The water in the pot started boiling, and Liannen used a potholder to grab the cauldron by its handle and carry it to the table.

As Embany began his work, Liannen surveyed the...thing that lay before them. At first glance, it seemed to be no more than a blood-spattered ball of black fur. But as she looked closer, she saw it to be a kitten, with...butterfly wings??

Liannen stepped back in shock. A Flitten....That opened up so many painful memories.

Suddenly she felt faint. Air, she thought, I need air. She stumbled to the door and sat down on the steps, holding her head in her hands.

Oh, she missed Fiora so much! Worse than the longing for her old companion was the wondering, never knowing where the gray Flitten was, what she was doing, or if she was even alive.

She sat there for hours, until the sun went down and the old centaur's soft voice broke into her thoughts. "Liannen, you should see this."

She followed him back into the cottage, where a warm fire roared in the fireplace, and the little black Flitten now rested on a pile of blankets next to it. Except....

"It's not black anymore," Liannen murmured. Sure enough, the little cat's fur was now a pale tabby gray. "What happened?"

"Your friend's fur was dyed," Embany replied.

Liannen nodded, then what he had said hit her. "What do you mean 'my friend'?" She asked slowly, her eyes never leaving the cat.

The Flitten's eyes shot open. Hello, Liannen, its familiar voice echoed in her head.

--

<font color=green>Night had fallen, the stars slowly wheeling their way overhead. Serke lay where he had first knelt and stared at them, the necklace still embedded in his palm. He never once considered removing it, for it was a physical ebodiment of his internal pain.

Sikle watched his companion with surprisingly gentle eyes. A lot of Serke's guilt was his as well. If only he had not run when Serke had learned of him...then Serke would not have sought to chase him, and thereby would not have left Liannen behind.
They had both acted with stupidity, and now they both payed for it.
Seeing Serke would not move from his place all night, nor would he sleep, Sikle finally moved off to hunt.

Moving silently through the brush, the cat dragon immediately began stalking a large rabbit, nearly the same size as himself. And he was no small creature.
For every pad-footed step forward, the rabbit seemed to take two and was always just alittle too far for a good pounce. Suddenly, they were in a small clearing before a cottage, and Sikle knew he had no choice.
He bolted.
The rabbit jerked out into the clearing, huge leaps seeking to bear it away from it's pursuer. But Sikle was sleek and fast, and in a puff of dust the two crashed into the earth together. There was a split second for the rabbit to give off it's peeling cry before it was silenced forever.

Sikle sat not five feet from the door to the cabin, panting and guarding his prey as he tried to regain his breath. He had not the time to identify all the smells around him just yet, and could not know that the two so sought after by himself and Serke were just behind that door... </font>

--

Liannen's legs buckled, and Embany just barely managed to catch her before she hit the ground, unconscious. The old centaur was unfazed. scooping her up in arms that were unaffected by age, and carrying her over to her bed in the corner. "I suppose I should have warned her," he said, both to himself and to his small visitor.

Fiora jumped up, now fully healed of her wounds, and ran to the girl's side. No, she said, voice full of pain, It's my fault. I never should have left her...

Liannen moaned, moving her hand up to her face. Liannen! Fiora nosed her cheek. Slowly Liannen opened her eyes, turning her head so that she could see the Flitten.

"You came back," she whispered, hardly daring to believe it.

Yes, Fiora answered. Liannen, please don't be mad at me. I know I deserve to have you hate me for the rest of my life, and I wouldn't blame you if you did, but....please. Her telepathic voice dropped to a whisper. I need you.

Liannen sat up, swinging her legs off the bed. A small smile twisted the corner of her mouth. "I don't hate you, Fiora. In fact," her face grew sad, "I need you too, so much more than you know." She swept up the little kitten in her arms, holding her close. Usually, Fiora would have protested, but at that moment, she didn't mind at all.

--

<font color=green>Sikle finally caught his breath, and was leaning down to scoop up his prey when two excruciatingly familiar smells wafted into his sensitive nose. His head snapped up, slitted pupils narrowing sharply.
That...that couldn't be...

Sikle completely forgot about the rabbit, and moved toward the door, sniffing under and around it. Yes, the smells were there, right there! Liannen, and Fiora!
The hair on his back stood rigid with surprise and excitement, and he dashed around to the side of the cabin and onto the ledge of the first available window. It was small, but he only needed to get a glimpse to be sure.
His heart fluttered for a moment as he set eyes upon the two females for which he and Serke had suffered so much at their own hands to find.
Dear Lord, Liannen!!!
He shouted mentally before falling off the narrow window-ledge and landing with a thud. He had forgotten to land feet-first. His shout could not have reached Serke, but it would have been plainly evident to those within the cottage. </font>

--

Everyone inside the cottage jumped with surprise at the sudden shout inside their heads. Liannen and Fiora looked at each other in shock, both recognizing that voice.

Liannen bit her lip, her whole body starting to tremble. This couldn't be. That was one of the voices she had dreamed of hearing for so long...she had wanted to hear those voices so bad it hurt. But...the voice that had just sounded in her head was not the one she would have given her life to hear.

Fiora, realizing that her mistress was frozen in place, lost in her thoughts, jumped off her lap and ran to the door. Embany already had it open, his head stuck outside. The Flitten darted through it and around to the side of the cabin, where the shout had come from.

She stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of the dragon-cat. Holding her breath, she took a tentative step forward. Sikle? she breathed in disbelief.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

<font color=green>Sikle was mumbling to himself as he stood, re-arranging his disgruntled wings against his back. Next time he would remember to land as a cat should, and not flat on his back.

His black head snapped up at the tentative voice, his pupils now widening considerably. Oh good lords above, it was Fiora! Not five feet from him, Fiora!!
Without warning Sikle all but tackled her, carefully restraining the excitement, disbelief, and relief that rose to threatening levels within his heart so as not to hurt her.

As was his custom, Sikle rubbed his head against hers gently, purring loudly.
Fiora! You are here, right here!
He shouted, voice filled with unusual glee.
And Liannen is just inside! I cannot believe I found the both of you! I might just faint with relief and pure happiness!!

This was too amazing...HE HAD FOUND THEM! </font>

--

Fiora gave a small yowl of surprise when he tackled her, but then relaxed after a moment and returned his head rub. Yes, Sikle, she replied with a touch of amusement at his enthusiasm, we're both here. At least, she added with a frown, mostly here.

Liannen listened to their telepathic exchange, holding her breath while she anxiously waited to hear a third voice. After a while, she couldn't stand the tension anymore and rose from where she was sitting. Brushing past Embany, who was still standing at the door, she stepped outside.

When she came to the corner of the cabin, she halted. What if he wasn't there? She felt suddenly sick with nerves. Or, even worse, what if he was? How could she ever face him again?

She forced herself to walk around the corner. She absently noted the two felines, but her eyes were busy searching for a third figure.

He wasn't there....

A wave of disappointment crashed over her, so hard that it hurt.

He wasn't there...

--

<font color=green>Sikle sighed softly, and, having gotten most of his affection out, finally stepped back from her.
Yes...I know what you mean...
He glanced towards the forest from whence he had come. Serke was back there still...ignorant to his discovery. But...would it make things better? Or...would it only make everything worse?
Should Serke know???
The thought haunted his mind.

Sikle staggered with the crushing wave of dissapointment. His gaze flitted to Liannen then.
Gently, he loped over, leapt up to her shoulder with the aid of his wings, and gently rubbed his head under Liannen's chin.
He is in the forest...
Sikle stated softly, knowing she would understand whom he spoke of. </font>

--

Liannen absently stroked the dragon-cat, fighting with all the new emotions that had sprung up at his soft pronouncement. Hope, excitement...dread. "Thanks, Sikle." She kissed his head before gently setting him back down.

It was starting to get cold outside, but she didn't want to waste time getting her cloak from the cabin. Her mind racing, she set off at a run, magically calling a ball of yellow flame to her palm for light. She didn't think she could live without him for another night.

Liannen! Fiora shouted. You can't-- It's dark! You'll never find him now. Wait until morning!

Her cries went unheeded in Liannen's mind as she left the clearing. She had to find him. She had to.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

<font color=green>Sikle gently shut his eyes at the kiss, and felt all four paws again touch the ground. What was she thinking now?
...!
Sikle blinked at her form as it suddenly dashed away from them. His calls echoed Fiora's.
"No, wait! You do not know where he is! It is dark out!! Liannen!!!"

Then, with an aggravated sigh, he dashed off after her, to guide her path.
"Watch my rabbit Fiora!" He called back to her as he too disappeared into the forest.

With the speed of both cat and dragon, and with the senses of each as well, Sikle found and caught up to Liannen.
Follow me...
He changed direction slightly and bolted through the underbrush, keeping a few paces ahead of Liannen to lead her to Serke's stationary form.

Coming upon him, Sikle came to a silent stop and sat, letting his tail curl about his paws softly. There he was....and now what was to happen??

Serke lay where he had when his companion had left. His free hand cushioned his head as he stared up into the sky. In his other hand, the necklace lay clutched and embedded, no longer bleeding. A long cloak again covered his form, though his face and hands were free from it's shelter. His emerald hair was a bit longer, hanging more freely on his forehead.
His eyes were as vibrant and deep as ever, and the diamond shaped emerald still held it's characteristic crack... </font>

--

Fiora glanced at the immobile, very dead rabbit. I doubt it's going anywhere! she called after him. She shook her head in amusement and went over to the door, curling up on the step to wait. She knew that Sikle would take good care of Liannen. Besides, no matter how much the Flitten had changed in the past year, she still hated racing through forests.

Liannen changed her path when Sikle did, secretly relieved that she now had a guide. She hadn't considered the fact that she didn't know where Serke was when she had started running. She had just wanted to see him again...

She almost tripped over the cat when he stopped. Already out of breath from running, taking in air suddenly became even more difficult when she spotted Serke.

She let the flame in her palm die away, and nervously ran her hands through her now-short hair, making it stick out more than ever.

There he was...the person she had longed to see for so long, right in front of her.

She took a tentative step out of the shadows, then another. What would he do when he saw her? She would die if he rejected her again...

--

<font color=green>At first, one could not be sure if he even knew of their presence. But it was soon confirmed.
Serke's face turned into a gentle grimace, and his hand convulsed around the necklace, digging it in further and reopening the wound.
It began to bleed thickly yet again.

Sikle shifted uneasily, and glanced up at Liannen. He could not anticipate what might happen...

Serke sat up suddenly, and was just as soon on his feet. His gaze immediately locked onto Liannen's face, seeking out her own eyes and holding them. He struggled to keep everything under control, for his breath threatened to come in gasps, his heart to thump erratically, and his emotions to burst forth into the open.
But key to his character, he managed to subdue it all.

And all he could do was stare at her form, changed from before.
"Your stone has grown dull..." He stated suddenly.
Sikle groaned and shook his head.
"A nice hello would have done better!! Ugh, you are hopeless Serke..." He lamented, and Serke shot him a sharp glance. </font>

--

Liannen gasped when he caught her gaze. She found once again that she couldn't look away, even if she wanted to. Which she didn't.

He broke the spell when he broke eye contact, taking in her appearance. She did the same with him, frowning at the object lodged in his bleeding hand. So that at least hadn't changed.

Her frown deepened at his opening statement. His blunt cluelessness hadn't changed either.

Well, what had she expected?

"Yes, Serke, it has," she replied slowly, irritation evident in her voice. "And do you know why that happened?" She was suddenly very angry. She took a step towards him, face flushed. "It happened because the three people I cared about most abandoned me. It happened because I was left all alone, feeling as if no one cared for me, as if I didn't mean anything to anybody." She took another step. "I've already forgiven two of those three people. But I'm finding it very hard to forgive the third person, mostly because he is not showing any remorse for what he did!"

Her last words were a shout. It was suddenly all too much. Fiora's return on top of Serke and Sikle's, and Serke's cold detachment from it all on top of that. Her rage melted away, to be replaced by tears.

A sob broke from her throat, the first one in who knew how long, and she sank to her knees.
She was suddenly very cold. She hadn't noticed the temperature while she was running, but now she was shaking with it. She tried to make the shivering and the tears stop, but that only made them worse.
Curse her lack of control!