Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wasted in a Brand New World ((Tal!))

Started by Anonymous, February 19, 2008, 05:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Sparks flew from an opening in the fabrics of time and space in the middle of La'marri. This portal remained open until a young woman came out of it and collapsed onto the ground. The portal then closed itself up. The woman stood up, but she was too wasted to realize what had happened. She clearly had way too much to drink, for she was swaying left and right in giddiness.

She didn't even know that she was no longer wearing her typical clothes; she was now dressed in a single green cloth that covered only her breasts, a blue leg-length skirt that exposed her right hip, brown combat boots, and a white headband. She was so sloshed that she didn't know where she was going...until she ran into an indistinguishable someone and fell to the ground, unconscious.

Tally

Already Setsurri was looking forward, toward the future, toward Ketra and Arca and all the great cities he'd heard about.

But for now La'marri had secrets and surprises aplenty for him.  Was there something wrong with him, that he felt so much more at home in this loud, open place than he did in his tribe's little forest settlement, tucked away so neatly beneath the canopy, overlooked and forgotten by all the world?  His family must surely think so.  He would never know, though, would he?  It seemed unlikely he would ever meet another of his kind again.

Thoughts like these occurred to him sometimes, but they swept through him like a breeze and were gone just as quickly.  Now was all that really mattered, and now happened to find him at the well in La'marri, hauling water up and then using his hand to bring it from the bucket to his lips.  Three dour human women also were making use of the well, filling wooden tubs to wash their clothes in, but they didn't give him so much as a second glance.  The gray horns poking out from his wild red hair were apparently not strange enough to warrant much interest in a place like La'marri.

What did get their attention was a horrendous tearing sound and sparks of light suddenly flying out through the air behind him.  His senses detected it before theirs did; he whipped his head around a fraction of a second before the rift opened, his hand already closing around the bone hilt of his knife.  On either side of the street, wise onesâ€"mages he thought they were called hereâ€"paused to study the phenomenon and mutter to one another before moving on about their business, and he relaxed marginally.  If the wise ones didn't see cause for worry, it must mean this thing was not about to devour the whole village or belch forth a horde of monstrosities.  Setsurri kept a hand on his knife just the same.

He blinked when, all at once, a woman came out of the rift and it closed itself right up again.  The brightness of it left a large purple splotch in the middle of his vision.  And the woman, where had she come from?  Where was she before?  He'd never imagined such a thing as he had just seen.  Justification, that's what it was.  It justified his presence here; not just here in La'marri, but here out in the world instead of huddling among the great trees of his home, oblivious to the myriad sights and experiences awaiting him beyond.

Something was wrong with the woman, he thought.  Was she sick, swaying like that?  Then he got a whiff of her and crinkled his nose.  His sympathy slipped a little.  She stank of spirits, and she was looking a fool stumbling toward him like that.  He stood still and sighed when she walked right into him.  If he left now, no one could blame him and he'd be free of responsibility.  Still, it was true the gods had put her in his path...

"Oi, woman," he said, nudging her with his bare foot then deciding on a better idea.  He strode back to the well, where the goodwives were now watching with quite a bit of interest, and unhooked one of the buckets.  That bucket he emptied over the unconscious woman's face, holding it high and pouring the icy water in a slow, steady stream.

Anonymous

In the short time that Amy was unconscious, her subconscious mind started to sober up a little, though her physical form clearly said otherwise. Then she felt an icy cold spray of water rain down upon her and she immediately woke up. Her vision was still very blurry, and her head was beginning to pound like Hell. She was blinded by the sudden light of the afternoon sun as she lifted herself in a more upright position.

Then she sneezed...and all of a sudden, a large gust of wind went barreling down the street, knocking over a half-dozen people before dissipating. She didn't seem to realize that she was the cause of it. But she didn't know, for her head was still hurting like a bad hangover.

"Ow, my frickin' head," she moaned, eyes still closed with her hands rubbing them. "I think I drank too much."

Tally

A part of him found this woman's disgraceful state an embarrassment to even watch.  Another part of him wanted to feel sorry for the poor drunk thing.  He'd never been drunk himself and one encounter with an inebriated human had been enough to confirm he never would be.  Watching this woman now affirmed that was a very wise decision indeed.  You'd never find him sputtering in the dirt in the middle of a street.  Why humans drank the stuff he couldn't understand and so far no one had been able to explain it to him in any way that made sense.

It was when he turned toward the well to return the bucket to its place that the blast came.  Setsurri threw himself to the side in time to avoid the worst of it and ended up sprawled in the dirt after all.

He blinked at the woman, looked down the street at the debris floating down and the people recovering from the wind blast.  The bucket he'd held had been picked up by the gust and now it fell back to earth with a thunk.    The goodwives had been knocked back from the well and were clambering to their feet.  No one seemed hurt but...had she caused that?  He gave her another look over.  She had power, clearly, but she was unlike any sorceress or mage he'd ever seen.  A little more cautious now, he stood and brushed the dust from his breeches.  They were cut off at the knee and were all he woreâ€"shirts and shoes he had yet to find any reason for.

Her verbal conviction that she'd drank too much seemed wholly unnecessary, like declaring that the sky was blue.

“Woman,â€? he said, cocking his head to the side, even more curious now than before.  â€œWho are you?â€?  Again he glanced at the windswept street before turning back to study her once more.  â€œWhere did you come from?â€?

Anonymous

For some strange reason, Amy was beginning to sober up. Her headache became a lot less painful, but it still bothered her. She stood up on her own, showing that her balance was more in tune than it was earlier. She was still rubbing her eyes with her arm, for she still had a faceful of the afternoon sun in them. Why was it so sunny all of a sudden?

She groaned as she turned to the source of the voice that addressed her as "woman", her eyes still closed. "Look, bud, my name's not 'Woman.' It's Amy, alright?" She then opened her eyes, but found her vision rather blurry. She blinked a couple of times until her eyesight came into clear focus. She found herself in what appeared to be a very plain and medieval village that appeared to be lacking technology of any kind. Since when has the Renn Faire been here? she wondered.

She then turned to the source of the voice...who happened to have dark skin, creepy green eyes, pointed ears, and what appeared to be three short, greyish horns protruding from messy orange hair. The moment she saw him staring at her, she completely sobered up.

Amy gave a short scream. "WHOAREYOU?! WHEREAMI?! ILLPAYTHERANSOMJUSTDONTHURTME!!!" she shouted very fast in a fit of panic. "Uh...I KNOW KARATE!!!" She took a step back and got into a position to defend herself from whoever or whatever the hell this creep was.

Tally

Setsurri stood still the whole while as the woman found her feet and went about trying to orient herself.  His expression remained neutral.  His people were what some humans liked to call 'savages'. They did not live in cities, nor even villages, and their numbers were small.  But they had the effortless, enduring patience of primitives.

"I'm Setsurri," he said mildy when she offered her name.  He didn't give it any thought when she looked him over.  His kind were so aloof; some might even say unfriendly.  There weren't many of them out in the world of humans.  So it wasn't strange for him to get measuring looks.

Then the woman went stark raving mad.

He flinched back in surprise and his hand flew automatically to the bone-hilt knife at his hip.  Green eyes a little wide, he tried to catch what she was yelling about.  His grasp of the language wasn't quite complete and she was talking so fast!  Had he done somethingâ€"made some gesture, adopted a specific postureâ€"that might have been misconstrued as a threat?  Being disoriented after a magical gateway had spat you out in a strange placeâ€"that he could sympathize with.  But he was quite sure he'd been perfectly civil so far.  Apart from pouring ice cold water in her face.

Hand still on his knife, he took a step back from the mad woman.  "I'm Setsurri," he said again.  "I'm an elf.  And this village is La'marri."  After a moment's consideration, he let go his knife to give his next sentence more credibility.  His glaive was still strapped to his back in its disassembled pieces.  "I don't think there's any danger here."  He leaned forward to peer at her.  "Woman...Amy...are you touched in the head?"

And as an afterthought he added, "Also...what is 'kah-rah-ti'?"

Anonymous

Amy calmed down a little, but still kept her defenses up, albeit at a less extreme level. She had never seen anything like this...Setsurri.

"Um...Last time I checked, elves were only in the fairy tales," Amy commented. "And they didn't have horns, either. Anyways, I've never heard of a "L'amarri" on the globe. Where is it, Pakistan? And what do you mean by, 'touched in the head', anyways?"

Amy clearly had no idea what this...elf...thing...was talking about. In fact, she had no idea what was happening.

"Oh, and 'karate' is a fighting style," she added. "But that's beside the point. Just what the hell is going on here?"

Tally

Setsurri shifted his weight and put a hand on his hip.  He had to look up at her, for she was a good three or so inches taller than he if you didn't count his hair or the long middle horn jutting up from his head.  "There are faeries in La'marri, too, I imagine," he said, not quite following her, but he experimented with a smile.  It wasn't something he had much occasion for, living as he did without companionship of others.  But he could sympathize.  Not with the magical gateway partâ€"he'd never done thatâ€"but with knowing nothing about the place in which you found yourself.  He was, after all, a traveler.  Many a time he'd found himself in a village he'd never heard of, staring down locals who harbored the expected and reasonable distrust of strangers.  And at those times he might have been grateful for a good-nature welcome or a kind stranger.

With that in mind, how could he do any less for her?

"I do not think many elves have horns," he admitted.  "But I do."  As she could plainly see.  "You're a fighter, then!  I am as well."  It was good to find a common ground with her, for so far they might as well have been speaking a different language for all they understood what the other was talking about.  It didn't help that he was what others had described before as 'tactless'.

"La'marri is a village west of the Three Kingdoms," he said.  "This is a place of spirit talkers and magic makers.  It is sovereign from any kingdom as I understand it.  Are you fully sensible now?  If you are still drunk I can show you an inn where you might refresh yourself and wash the reek off you."  He cocked his head to the side and peered up into her eyes.  "Do you really not know how you came to be here?  I can tell you it was like nothing I've ever seen.  The gateway you came through...it was a force well beyond my ken."

Anonymous

Okay, now I'm completely lost, Amy thought. Either this guy was completely bonkers, or she was just having one of those bad dreams. Spirit talkers? Magic makers? Three Kingdoms? Her winding up here from a gateway? Just what the hell is going on?

"It's not that I'm still drunk," Amy said. "I'm just trying to make sense of what you're saying to me. I'm still pretty confused here. All I remember is getting drunk, falling into a lake, and blacking out. And the next thing I know, I'm here. I don't remember anything in between." She put a hand on her right hip...only to find that it was bare. She then looked at herself and found out that she was in a completely different outfit, probably to fit the scene of wherever the hell she was. "What the hell am I wearing?" she muttered to herself.

Tally

Setsurri sighed and folded his arms across his bare chest.  He was a creature of action, not words, and nothing could make him lose interest faster than talk.  If answers were to be found, they would be found through deeds.  "You're wearing clothes," he muttered.  "What's wrong with them?"  They seemed appropriate enough, and strangely close to what females of his kind generally wore excepting the odd boots.

There were no coincidences.  What seemed coincidental was merely a landmark placed by the spirits.  They could guide a mortal's way if he knew how to read them.

A lake, hm?  And she hadn't even been wet when the portal spat her out.  What strange, powerful magic.  Thinking on it made the hairs on the back of neck stand up.  He shrugged it off.  "Anyway, you're here now.  And the way back has been closed unless you've an idea how to open it.  I don't.  I'm no worker of magic.  So what do you intend to do about it?"  If he hadn't seen the portal with his own eyes, he would swear she had only hallucinated the lake in a drunken stupor, but it could not be denied anymore than the gust of wind that had torn down the street, the effects of which could still be seen as citizens went about gathering up the last stray papers and object they'd lost.

Anonymous

Amy wasn't getting this guy at all. She sighed in exasperation, and, unbeknownst to her, that sigh enabled a small breeze to form. Well, she thought, maybe this is all some crazy dream, and I'll probably wake up after fighting this guy. Besides, he doesn't look so tough.

"This is all so confusing," she said. "It makes me so frustrated. I have no idea what to do." She then looked at him. "I need to blow off some steam. Do you mind...if we fight? I usually find fighting a good way to relieve stress."

True, whenever she was angry, she usually vented that anger by fighting. It was a little barbaric, but it was better than letting it boil up inside until she caved in.

Tally

Setsurri shuffled his bare feet upon the hard-packed ground of the village's main street and watched the little plumes of dust he kicked up as they dissipated in a sudden breeze.  The day was pleasant, restful, even.  The kind of day he'd usually spend dozing beneath a tree.  That had been his original intention, before this woman came into his life, to find a quiet place just outside the village and wait for the spirits to tell him which direction he should go next.  They'd had other plans for him it seemed.

"I understand," he muttered, and he did empathize with her confusion even if he didn't know how to articulate that empathy beyond what he'd just said.  But what she said next drew his gaze, wide-eyed and slightly confused, to her face.  "Fight?"  He stared at her, searching her expression for clarification, sure he'd heard her wrong or misunderstood her.  She must have meant something else.

"What, you mean the two of us...against each other?" Absurd.  Both hands on his hips, looked her up and down and said, "I can't fight you.  You're only a woman. It wouldn't be right." He could never do that.  He never had done that. It was against the natural order of things, for a man to fight a woman. Men hunted and fought and protected the village.  Women tended the children and gathered food and kept their huts.  Oh, they might fight if they had to, if they or their families were in danger, but to do so otherwise was needless.

Although...he'd seen human women fighting against or alongside men before.  It had confused him at first, very much, but now he attributed it to humans just being strange and confused.  It didn't mean he would participate in that madness!

Anonymous

Hrm...maybe Amy should have worded that a bit differently. Though it wasn't the first time she had heard the old 'I-can't-fight-you, you're-only-a-woman' excuse, this guy sounded like he genuinely meant it. Maybe she should elaborate.

"I think what I'm trying to say is," she said, then, after a pause, "maybe we can find someone that we can fight against together. Besides, even if you did mean the two of us against each other, I can assure you, I'm not one to be taken lightly. Well, that aside, I say we should find someone to fight--"

Then, there came a scream from behind her. She turned to see what it was, then her eyes widened as a behemoth of a muscular man broke through a door with a sack of what looked like gold. He had to be at least seven feet tall, from the looks of him.

She then turned back to Setsurri. "Like that guy."

Tally

Ah, it was a misunderstanding then, something Setsurri was accustomed to.  When he had first ventured out of his forest, he hadn't even spoken the humans' tongue.  At first he'd barely spoken at all, going out of his way to avoid inhabited regions, but it struck him as silly that a warrior unafraid to clash with foes twice his size should be so intimidated by a thing so insubstantial as another language.  So he had venture out of the wilderness and into villages and towns, making due with gestures as he picked up the foreign tongue piece by piece.  He was fluent now, but certain turns of phrase could still trip him up.

Any response he might have made to Amy was cut off by a shrill scream, and his head snapped in the direction of the sound.  With a great crack and clamor, an enormous man busted straight through a door, slivers of wood flying everywhere.  Passersby near the shop froze or scrambled out of the way and the brute shoved his way through them, stomping out into the street as shouts of anger and fear arose from inside.

"Hm."  Setsurri's eyes flickered back to the doorway, where another man had appeared, red-faced and yelling at the thief to stop.  Yet he took no step beyond the shattered door, unwilling or unable to do more than hurl words at the man's back.

Setsurri looked back at the lumbering behemoth.  Easy, he thought.  Big and slow, reliant on strength alone, using size and power to intimidate.  Yes, he knew the type.  They usually thought him a weak prey, small and quiet as he was.  He had, regrettably, slew such men.

But he mustn't underestimate this one or assume too much.  Better warriors than he had fallen to like folly.

With a glance and the barest, anticipatory smirk to Amy, Setsurri took off after the thief.  He ran as a gazelle, fleet and light upon the balls of his feet, his wiry muscles like springs.  He skidded to a halt in the big man's path, out of arms reach and crouching slightly, prepared to leap away.  Closer now, the man loomed over him, near two feet taller than Setsurri himself.  Setsurri's hand hovered near the glaive at his back.  It was designed to come out of the sling quickly, to snap together with a flick of his wrist, but it was not time for that yet.  He did not draw the glaive if he could avoid it.  It was a killing weapon, and there was not yet a need for killing here.

"Stop."  That was it, the only chance this man would get to avoid a fight.  Setsurri didn't expect he would listen—actually he rather expected to be swatted at like a fly.  But he would offer that chance just the same.  Honor demanded it.  Thus far no enemy had ever actually taken advantage of his generosity in this way, but one never knew.  There was a first time for everything, yes?