Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Last Day of Her Old Life (Mdu)

Started by Anonymous, January 27, 2009, 08:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Celine was very angry. She was so angry at Randver that she couldn't stay in the house right now. She decided to go outside and take a walk. She knew she was supposed to be watching Raïssa, her ten-year-old deaf sister, but she knew Raïssa disliked to see her sad. Her other sister, Eve, fourteen, would take care of her. Leon, her older brother, 24 was in the shop with her father, and Gabriel, her youngest brother, 6, was asleep after being ill. Her mother was with him.

What was going through Randver's head at the moment?  Celine truly wanted to know. Did he honestly think that her human parents would approve of her having children with a centaur? Even if he was a soldier?

It wasn't that she didn't love him- she did. But if he was stupid enough to refuse to realize what-and who- they were up against, she wasn't sure she wanted to be with him. She didn't think he was taking this seriously enough. As she walked away from the house, she started to feel more relaxed, but she still wondered if she'd made herself clear to Randver.

"Randver, I love you and I want to be with you," she had said. "But if you don't realize that my parents don't want us to be together, and you're not willing to stick  up for yourself along with me, then I can't be with you. You may be a soldier, but you can sometimes be a wimp when it comes to taking criticism and using it for your own good. "

Anonymous

Randver had never even been to her house and now Celine was trying to worry him about her parents. She seemed to think that he didn't have the spine to stand up to them too. Foolish, sweet, wonderful girl, he had his reasons for not wanting to be near them and it had nothing to do with cowardice. Their every word grated against him, their insinuations that he was less of a person because he was a centaur made it hard for him to keep control of his pyromancy. Already he had set fire to the staff his sister had made for him.

Too, they seemed to find every reason for him not to be with her. His religion, his temper or saying he'd end up beating her wasn't beyond their grasp. He'd rather not meet them if it meant he was going to have to remain silent and keep guard over his powers. Because of that, he was doing them a favour by not being around them.

'Corporal Randver, are ya still brooding over that bitch's parents?' yawn the Sergeant next to him.
'No, just thinkin's all.'
'Yeah, right. Thinking about them. Yer eyes are burnin up again.'
Randver snorted fire out his nose and turned back to watching the gate. He didn't need advice. He knew what he wanted and nothing was going to stop him from getting it, nothing.

Anonymous

Celine walked for a good hour and a half before she felt controlled enough to return to the house, but finally, she started home. It was a fairly pretty day, so she took the scenic route home. She liked to look at the trees and smell the fresh air when she had the time.

On the way, she picked some herbs to use in her supper preparations. Because some of them were a bit strong, the odor stayed in her nose for awhile, and she didn't realize that there was anything wrong until she was fifteen minutes away from her house. What was that smell?

Smoke. She had to sniff the air for a few minutes, but she finally recognized it.

What was more, it didn't smell... what was the word... controlled, the way a cooking fire would be. It didn't smell like anything cooking at all. If she'd had the experience, Celine would have said the air smelled like death.  It made her feel sick to her stomach. She still hadn't realized where the smell was coming from though. She only noticed that it became worse the closer she got to her house.

(OOC: She's not home yet, so this is a good time to say what Randver is doing and how he burned down the house. I mean, I want to know how a fire-making talent works, because... I don't know. LOL.)

Anonymous

'Corporal Randver!'

A young goblin was running towards the gate. Randver could tell by the rasping of the his voice and the shape of his body heat. It was small, pudgy and had overly large feet, or at least he did in Randver's opinion.

'Private Carlarrgh? What are you doing, we're not going to the pub til after I see Celina and her-,' he grumbled a few choice insults, '-parents.'

'No Corporal. Sergeant, we need Randver in the nearest residential district. He's the only strong mage nearby and there's a gang fight that needs breaking up. They have an earth mage.'

The goblin ran off and after a nod from the Sergeant, Randver galloped after him. Fist-sized balls of fire skimmed the muddy cobbles as Randver made his way through the streets. There indeed was a brawl. By the feel of it there were several soldiers already trying to contain the fight but none of them could control the mage.

'Corporal Randver, your orders are to capture the mage, alive if possible. I have to alert the other districts,' said the gremlin Private before scurrying off.

Randver sent fireballs scanning for any heat reflections from airborn rock. Once he found the source he ensorcled the area with flame, hoping to catch the earth mage. This caught the other mage's attention and rocks hurtled towards the blind centaur. Luckily Randver could judge what was happening by the human mage's hand movements and managed to dodge the projectiles. Randver sent a blast of fire in the direction of the mage but the mage bolted and the fire hit a house instead.

Randver cursed and galloped off after the mage, leaving behind a trail of muddy hoofprints. The mage gave chase for well over ten minutes before he was cornered behind two brick apparent buildings. There, Randver used his power to melt the air between him and the mage. Any rock passing his way would heat up before it hit him. Unfortunately, where the mage could control earth, Randver couldn't and the earth below his feet and became trapped in the rock and mud. Randver used a similar tactic to ensnare the other mage, burning the air until the earth mage passed out from heat.

Anonymous

By the time Celine reached the house, it was already engulfed in flames. So that was why the air smelled like death, she thought dejectedly. She knew it would be foolish to go inside, but the screams of her dying family tore at her heart, so she just stood nearby looking into a window and hoping they knew she was there in their last moments. The house burned quickly enough, but slowly enough that she would never forget those screams. Pain. Terror. Helplessness.If she'd just gotten there sooner, they might have made it, or at least not died in so much pain.

Even after the house had burned, Celine found she couldn't leave. She stood rooted to the spot as if she had been planted there. Her skin was cold and clammy and she felt as if she was going to faint. But instead of fainting, she sank to the ground and wept in the grass.  

"Randver," she sobbed as the tears streaked her cheeks. "Randver, what have you done?"

Tags: